New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

White Static Flashes in Rift S

18910111214»

Comments

• MnemonicMnemonic Posts: 37
    Brain Burst
    edited July 2019
     i got sound.  no video.  just a black screen.  
    If you use multimonitor setup, try to switch to just a single screen (disconnect other screens physically), also switch Oculus software to Public Beta in settings.
  • Comrade_IvanComrade_Ivan Posts: 132
    Art3mis
    Heard a mention of this in F. Reality Podcast; they reiterated the dev's post that said fix is coming soon.
    My 30 days are coming up at the end of this week. Hopefully we get a fix by then (not that it seems likely) cause refunding the headset isn't something I'm looking forward to.
  • KNP54KNP54 Posts: 300
    Nexus 6
    Received my Rift S yesterday, and I too get white static flashes intermittently! I have a background in electronics engineering and I can tell you probably what is happening: The display is losing track of the embedded clock within the 8b/10b encoding?
    Specs: Delidded i7-8086k @ 5.0 GHz all cores, NZXT X52 cooler, 32GB G.Skill 3200MHz, ASRock Z370 Gaming-ITX/ac, Asus GTX 1080 Strix, Corsair SF600 platinum, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 1TB, Samgung 850 EVO 500GB + 840 EVO 500GB in raid0, Seagate Ironwolf 10TB, Louqe Ghost S1, Asus PB287Q 3840x2160 @ 60Hz, Samsung SyncMaster 226BW 1680x1050 @ 60Hz. Oculus Rift S.
  • john.zigmontjohn.zigmont Posts: 141
    Art3mis
    KNP54 said:
    Received my Rift S yesterday, and I too get white static flashes intermittently! I have a background in electronics engineering and I can tell you probably what is happening: The display is losing track of the embedded clock within the 8b/10b encoding?
    Would this problem arise from the cable length on the Rift S ?
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 8,022 Valuable Player
    edited July 2019
    KNP54 said:

If that's what is happening then how long should it take to fix?
  • DreadpirateflappyDreadpirateflappy Posts: 71
    Hiro Protagonist

Giving me hope, if they find a way to fix the grip issue as well
    RedRizla said:
    KNP54 said:

If that's what is happening then how long should it take to fix?
    Oculus said a fix is ready I believe, but it was too late to put out in the current patch, which means it should go out in the next beta patch.
    Art3mis
    Oculus said a fix is ready I believe, but it was too late to put out in the current patch, which means it should go out in the next beta patch.
    That's great news that totally snuck past my radar. Where did you see that;y dying to find out
    Hiro Protagonist
    That's great news that totally snuck past my radar. Where did you see that;y dying to find out
    It's a sticky on here. right at the top.
    https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/78729/quick-status-update-on-rift-s-static-white-flashing#latest

And apparently the grip issue a lot of us have had is fixed now with the latest patch (not sure if it affected you, certainly afected me... twice lol)

Ooh, it was updated today that a fix has come out in the PTC. so hopefully it's already sorted as of today.

Hiro Protagonist
    Literally downloading the patch now as it just popped up while typing lol. fingers crossed the flashes are gone.
  • dburnedburne Posts: 4,320 Valuable Player
    Awesome news!!
    I won't get a chance to test thoroughly until tomorrow, I do have the update now though and am hopeful.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • Brian1256Brian1256 Posts: 12
    NerveGear
    This is terrific news!
    Hiro Protagonist
    Just played just played Tetris effect for 2 hours and no flashing. Woo hoo. 

• mhajii210mhajii210 Posts: 51
    Hiro Protagonist
    Static flashes appear to be fixed!!! I played for almost 2 hours and first time ever no flashes. Great job to Oculus for finally fixing this dreaded bug. 👍
  • Brian1256Brian1256 Posts: 12
    NerveGear

.Well 2 hrs using X-plane and would normally see 6-7 flashes and with this new firmware update no flashes! This issue is definitely solved. I’ve been using the headset since release and have always seen flashes in every session. Also noted that the touch controllers no longer float in front of my face when inactive for awhile out of view. No more blackouts or usb warnings and tracking is perfect. I’m 100% issue free! Thanks to the Oculus devs and others on the forums especially this thread.

Art3mis
    Grateful this was fixed. I'd sure hate to be the guy who bought Rift S on a launch date and wait this long for a fix. But grateful it's now done nonetheless
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 6,369 Volunteer Moderator
    Grateful this was fixed. I'd sure hate to be the guy who bought Rift S on a launch date and wait this long for a fix. But grateful it's now done nonetheless

That'll be me!

Genuinely happy not to be contemplating returning the S any more, it was the only issue I had and now super pleased.

Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v2004 (19042.572)
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,858 Volunteer Moderator
    I always knew Oculus would fix the white flashes :)

A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

• mashermetsmashermets Posts: 20
    NerveGear
    My white flashes are gone but my usb warning just came back :(
  • mhajii210mhajii210 Posts: 51
    Hiro Protagonist

That'll be me!

Genuinely happy not to be contemplating returning the S any more, it was the only issue I had and now super pleased.

Same here! I've had my Rift S since launch and I took a chance and didn't return it hoping Oculus would be able to fix the static flashes. I couldn't be happier. I'm glad I made the right decision 😊👍
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 8,022 Valuable Player
    edited July 2019
    delete
  • dburnedburne Posts: 4,320 Valuable Player
    Yes I am thrilled it is fixed, my Rift S is golden now!
    I got it on release day May 24, and so glad I hung in there with it.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |