New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

White Static Flashes in Rift S

Comments

• KnightMasonKnightMason Posts: 22
    Brain Burst
    Same crap here. It lasts for about 1 second and goes away. But the flashing occurrence is getting more frequent as the day goes on. I've only put 6 hours into it and thinking about doing a return. Might just save up for something better at this point. So many other bugs I had to post about too.
    Might give it a month but that's it.
  • md20twentymd20twenty Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I have also noticed these flashes of white static. The fact that so many people are reporting this issue makes me think it's a software issue and not a hardware issue. At least that's what I hope. An official response from Oculus would be appreciated.
  • sraurasraura Posts: 590
    Trinity
    An official response from Oculus would be appreciated.
    Well here is one for you: https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/comment/687206/#Comment_687206
  • Stez69Stez69 Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Flashing here too. 
    I’m on my second Rift s as the first one had a problem with the right lens. 
    Both sets have suffered with the white flash problem but this new one has frozen 3 times now with the black screen problem 
  • MAC_MAN86MAC_MAN86 Posts: 2,262
    Wintermute
    Too many threads on this already but if you can't start HMD by opening the APP then REBOOT and put on the HMD once it settles.
  • Stez69Stez69 Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    MAC_MAN86 said:
    Too many threads on this already but if you can't start HMD by opening the APP then REBOOT and put on the HMD once it settles.
    That’s not really solving the problem though is it. 
    Wintermute
    Nothing on here solves problems but just airing them for workarounds for the OP. The business model and handling of issues is laughable. A CEO needs replacing!
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 6,362 Volunteer Moderator

I can't remember how long I said I'd give Oculus to solve this problem before calling it a day but I think I'm one week closer to that deadline.

The solution for the flashes I think is pretty much agreed it's only going to come from Oculus via a firmware update (or from a recall if it can't be solved via firmware), but I agree with MAC_MAN86 in this instance. It helps to air your views.

Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v2004 (19042.572)
    Trinity
    edited June 2019
    Yep... at least the forums seem much more quieter today and seems that the problems what people are facing have been pretty well charted already. Now only thing needed is patience while developers do their work.
    Wintermute
    They have 3weeks left before Dooms Day!
  • MahbooMahboo Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    This problem might caused by the driver or software itself. 

Had CV1 for years, works like a charm. But then, static flash happened with my CV1 a month before S release. 
    Now I'm having flashes with the S too. 

:tired_face: 
  • SLM101SLM101 Posts: 13
    NerveGear
    Interesting, so it's the same split second white flash that us Rift S users are getting? Looks like they broke it on a software update before the headset came out.
    That's definitely interesting @Mahboo,  I hadn't thought to plug my CV1 back in and test for these flashes. I'll do that tonight and confirm if I get the same, it would definitely eliminate component issues.

Now I'm wondering if it's some sort of conflict with the latest graphics driver or just the Oculus software/firmware alone.
    Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v2004 (19042.572)
  • Andrey.Karlovich1988Andrey.Karlovich1988 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    same problem!
  • AeromasterAeromaster Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Same issue happens while iRacing. Just a quick white flash. Happens about twice an hour.
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 8,052 Valuable Player
    I've tried the PTC and the flashes are still there. Not only that but I keep on getting the DisplayPort connection dying on me. Going to switch back again now lol :D
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
    Wintermute
    Well I'm staying on Win1809 with 1.37 until it's time for a refund if needed.
    Trinity
    edited June 2019
    Hmm... I hope I managed to solve my white flashes issue for good, but too early to tell. Looks promising tho as didn't experience any in past 6 hours.
    What I did was updating of some chipset drivers (intel mei) and motherboard bios (including intel me).
    Anyways I probably edit this post soon telling that the flashes are back, but fingers crossed...
    ---
    update:
    After extensive testing I am now confident that this fixed my issues with white flashes. It also seems that overall stability of Oculus app has improved alot. To be honest - I have not been able to crash it anymore.

If you have intel chipset, you might want to try browising rather recent driver and firmware updates to your motherboard chipset which are tagged as "Intel new me updates" or "MEI intel". Also basic "stability updates" to your motherboard bios may help.

update:
    ...and flashes are back with windows 1903
  • MowTinMowTin Posts: 1,944 Valuable Player
    edited June 2019
    I get white flashes but I also get sparkly colorful noise. It's most visible in dark scenes. Anyone else get this?
    i7 9700k 2080ti   CV1, Rift-S, Index
  • RG4520RG4520 Posts: 18
    NerveGear
    Obligatory "still getting white flashes on latest update" post. Just fyi. 

Also, @MowTin, yes for me it's a mix of white and colored static. I suppose it's more jarring in dark scenes, but unmissable for me anytime it happens.
    Wintermute
    My new available Intel Drivers using Auto-Search Internet were:
    System Firmware
    Software Guard Extensions (in Software)
    Intel Management Interface
    Software Guard Extensions (in Devices)
    PCI Standard Host
    PCI to PCI Bridge (6 of these)
  • mhajii210mhajii210 Posts: 51
    Hiro Protagonist
    MAC_MAN86 said:
    System Firmware
    PCI Standard Host
    What do you mean by Auto-Search Internet? My motherboard is ASRock ATX DDR3 1333 LGA 1150 Motherboards Z97 PRO4. I checked on ASRock and the chipset drivers listed are old and I already have the latest BIOS. What is the best way to check for Intel driver updates? Did you guys use this https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/detect.html?
    Trinity
    edited June 2019
    MAC_MAN86 said:
    System Firmware
    PCI Standard Host
    In my case they were found at https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/PRIME-Z270-P/HelpDesk_Download/ but obviously (even if you did have same intel chipset) it is unlikely that you have same motherboard than me. So... find out the brand and model of your motherboard (or brand of your kit-computer) and check their homepage for possible updates.
    There are universal intel management interface drivers at https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/69368/Intel-Management-Engine-Firmware-Intel-ME-FW- but... uncharted territory... and not sure if they work without bios update... However here you can find some more info about that: https://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/129698-new-intel-management-engine-driver.html
    This autodetect tool I ran just now and it looks to be rather safe to use: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/detect.html

sraura said:
    update:
    After extensive testing I am now confident that this fixed my issues with white flashes. It also seems that overall stability of Oculus app has improved alot. To be honest - I have not been able to crash it anymore.

If you have intel chipset, you might want to try browising rather recent driver and firmware updates to your motherboard chipset which are tagged as "Intel new me updates" or "MEI intel". Also basic "stability updates" to your motherboard bios may help.

Just spent 2 hours in the S and no flashes.

I noticed there was an Oculus update this afternoon so I wonder if that's what fixed it. I'll need a few more hours to say for sure but there's definitely a chance it's sorted.

Note, I haven't changed any other drivers or settings.

Trinity
    edited June 2019
    @DaftnDirect Well at least I'm on stable build of the oculus app and that has not updated today...

Now to be clear - if you are reading and following these instructions below - you are doing it on your own risk.

For further experiment I did bite the bullet and installed latest version of that universal intel management engine driver from this package "ME_SW_1909.12.0.1236.zip". Link on this post

It is bit tricky to install and package is huge.  But basically... You extract the package somewhere and run SetupME.exe from following directory "Cons\ME_SW_MSI".

At least it didn't brick my windows and update went smoothly.

Site says that the package is compatible with:
    •     Intel® Management Engine Firmware (Intel® ME FW)
    •     Intel® B150 Chipset
    •     Intel® B250 Chipset
    •     Intel® B360 Chipset
    •     Intel® B365 Chipset
    •     Intel® H110 Chipset
    •     Intel® H170 Chipset
    •     Intel® H270 Chipset
    •     Intel® H310 Chipset
    •     Intel® H370 Chipset
    •     Intel® Management Engine Interface (Intel® MEI)
    •     Intel® Q150 Chipset
    •     Intel® Q170 Chipset
    •     Intel® Q250 Chipset
    •     Intel® Q270 Chipset
    •     Intel® Q370 Chipset
    •     Intel® X299 Chipset
    •     Intel® Z170 Chipset
    •     Intel® Z270 Chipset
    •     Intel® Z370 Chipset
    •     Intel® Z390 Chipset
    •     Mobile Intel® HM170 Chipset
    •     Mobile Intel® HM175 Chipset
    •     Mobile Intel® HM370 Chipset
    •     Mobile Intel® QM170 Chipset
    •     Mobile Intel® QM175 Chipset
    •     Mobile Intel® QM370 Chipset
    •     Mobile Intel® QMS380 Chipset
      At the point when I wrote this - haven't tested if this works as well as the version I got from Asus site (specifically to my own motherboard). If I experience any problems, will let you know as soon as possible.

Update:
      Unfortunately I got couple flashes with this during 1st hour. Seems that it needs matching firmware and as far as I understand, that is something motherboards or computers manufactured provides. Hence it is better to stick with drivers you might find from manufactures site. Try these only as a last resort if you do.

Anyways I didn't want to push my luck any further and rolled back to driver version which was working for me. As my rift s is working now - will not investigate this subject any further.

Hopefully we all find our solutions sooner rather than later.
      Wintermute
      edited June 2019
      Runtime 1.37, Win1809...
      Updated manually by auto-search online. Did a BIOS Update with the newly added FIRMWARE in Devices for convenience. Used the above link https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/detect.html and it picked up nothing new for any I already manually updated.
      TESTED E:D and still get Flashes in 5mins and every 10mins or so until an eventual crash when ONLY the outside Space colours goes B&W but the cockpit is in colour. In Station too and then games crash. Goes to Home and then Blackscreen and must use SETTINGS>BETA>RESTART to recover.
    • RG4520RG4520 Posts: 18
      NerveGear
      @sraura

Ensured that everything on my system is completely updated using every resource intel makes available, no dice. Got first flash after about 45 minutes. Repeated this in multiple games after restarting pc and restarting oculus just to cover my bases. Flashes every time. 

Glad it seems to have fixed your issue though. 

If anyone on the beta branch can confirm if the latest version of the Oculus app (1.38.0.255343) has cured their flashes, or hasn't cured it, that would be useful. It looked to have cured mine but I'll need to do a couple more hours test later before I'm sure.

• snowdogsnowdog Posts: 8,052 Valuable Player
      I thought mine was cured but then got one after 50 minutes or so. Bloody thing lol  :D
      "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
      ok thanks Snow, it seems to be improving but not cured