New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

White Static Flashes in Rift S

Comments

• mashermetsmashermets Posts: 20
    NerveGear
    Well I opened a ticket did everything they asked still no better they said they will get back to me in 3 working days :neutral: who knows what's going on!?!
  • DanureDanure Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    This seems to be such a consistent issue that I don't understand why Oculus isn't addressing it. I have had this issue since purchase 2 weeks ago. Been on the beta. Tried every fix. Still get white static flashes!!!! Sometimes every few mintues. Sometimes not for an hour, but it never goes away :(
  • mhajii210mhajii210 Posts: 51
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited June 2019
    Hi guys. I just wanted to give an update on my situation. I've been getting 2-3 static flashes per hour since day 1 (5/22) and I've tried everything suggested by support and others. I decided a week ago to contact support and now they want to replace the cable. I've heard about others replacing the cable with no difference whatsoever in regards to the static flashes. Some have replaced the headset altogether and they're still getting the static flashes. I'm now seriously considering just returning my Rift S since it seems Oculus support feels this is a hardware issue and not software. I don't think they have any idea what is going on with these static flashes. That's a real bummer because otherwise I love my headset, but I only have until 6/22 to return it. 
  • MAC_MAN86MAC_MAN86 Posts: 2,262
    Wintermute
    One User reported his replacement Headset had no Flashes...kinda just like we all had no flashes for the first week!
    Go figure, I reckon it's a Software issue myself. Else they'd have tested those returned units and compared them with new units without any modification already to see in any Recall was needed.
    NerveGear
    Can anyone confirm whether they have replaced their hardware and seen the flashes resolved with the new hardware?
    NerveGear
    Thanks for the update Zahariel! That's the most useful info I've found so far. I have 2 days to decide whether to return my Rift S to Best Buy or hope for a patch that resolves the issue. While not game changing, I do find them very annoying. My CV1 never had any similar issues.
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 5,961 Volunteer Moderator

Yep, thanks or that info @Zahariel , a post to the forum from Oculus would have been good I think but then I'm not sure how widespread the problem is. It seems like a common issue but sometimes it can be deceiving when considering the number of headsets out there and the fact that people without an issue tend not to post about it... or perhaps not even visit the forum.

Anyway, I'll stick with my S for now and see what the next update brings.

Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v2004 (19041.388)
    Hiro Protagonist
    Zahariel said:
    Latest reply from Oculus:

"Thanks for your patience while I reviewed your case. I'm sorry to hear about this static you've encountered, and I'm happy to help!

We're aware of this and we are actively investigating this issue. Currently we're attempting to determine the primary contributors, as this issue could occur at a large number of points within the system.

We don't have a timeline for a resolution to this, so I'd like to offer you the following options:

1. We have not yet ruled out the headset itself as the primary contributor. If you like, I can process a replacement for your Rift S. The total turnaround for this process is around 7 business days on average, from the moment you send in your current unit to the moment your replacement arrives. I cannot guarantee that a replacement will resolve this issue for you however.

2. Wait for our next update to the Oculus software. Unfortunately the internal investigation is unable to provide any concrete estimates there, however our current tentative goal is at least a week. It is far more likely that this will resolve your issue.

Please let me know which option you would prefer.

If you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to include them in your reply. I'll be happy to continue to assist you!

Kind regards,

Oculus Support"

I'll wait for the patch to be honest, as I've said before the flashes are not game changing unless they cannot fix them.

I was so set on returning my Rift S, but after your post you really convinced me to be patient and wait. I hope I'm making the right decision since, as I said before, I only have until 6/22 to return it. Would you guys advise to even attempt a cable swap at this point, or should I just wait for the next firmware update? Oculus support is suggesting a new cable, but others have already tried that with no luck. Since I'm getting 2-3 static flashes per hour, I think it's a waste of time to get a new cable. What do you guys think?
  • john.zigmontjohn.zigmont Posts: 123
    Art3mis
    edited June 2019
    According to user's who made the cable swap it didn't solve white screen flashes but have them sent you another cable. I think this is firmware issue. It a wide spread problem so it will be solved in time.
  • sraurasraura Posts: 590
    Trinity
    ...and my white flashes are back with windows 1903... so back to square one.
  • DDM_Reaper20DDM_Reaper20 Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    1.38, white, intermittent flashes. Nothing new. 

I might add Audio is CRAP. As in, totally so. VERY low volume, barely discernible, even at supposedly 100%. The promised improvement of audio did ZERO for me. As in ZILCH. Now I know my hearing isn't all that great (47 years old AND teaching elementary kids -- need I go on? ;) ), but this is ridiculous. I have connected in-ears, but the Rift S's audio jack is, apparently, of such high quality that this, too, is less than satisfactory, producing crackling/static one in a while. I think I'm going back to my former audio solution. Can't really be worse than that. 

The original Rift did a MUCH better job than this. I wonder if cutting corners like that really was necessary -- or wise. (Before anybody asks, I got the Rift S as a gift . . . yes, I know gift horse dentistry is not the done thing, even so...)
  • dburnedburne Posts: 3,748 Valuable Player
    I got a set of Klipsch R6 II earbuds to run through the audio jack of the Rift S, and the audio is fantastic for me.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
    Art3mis
    edited June 2019
    I think the audio is the best of both worlds. I have 20% hearing in my left ear with the Rift S I can use my over the ear hearing aid. If the audio is not good quality from the head band just plug a set of headphones or earbuds in.
  • mashermetsmashermets Posts: 20
    NerveGear
    1.38.1 is downloading anyone tried it yet?
  • teddan00teddan00 Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    1.38.1 is downloading anyone tried it yet?
    Just tried 1.38.1. I'm sorry to say that, but the white static flashes still appears for me.
  • cedric1127cedric1127 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Hi everyone .
    I am in the same situation as you. Sold my cv1 and bought rift s to get rid of room scale stations.
    oculus sent me a replacement cable but still flashes.

Maybe we can add some more informations to see anything that can be similar on our configuration.
     For me : 
    Intel i7 3770
    RAM 10gb
    Crappy Chinese 128gb SSD and 2tb hard drive
    Nvidia 1070ti inno 3d 8gb
    Power supply corsair VS650

WINDOWS 10 1903

Flashes only occurs in the headset nothing appears on mirror screen

For what I can see I suppose it's the camera system . When it's lost we have a flash like when you step out the guardian system like the real camera wants to step in but it flashes and come back to game .

I can't see anything else except if someone has an AMD graphic card and can confirm he has flashes . It could be an issue with Nvidia and the headset screens .

Hiro Protagonist
    They are sending me a replacement cable as well, but I'm certain it won't fix the static flashes. I get 2-3 static flashes per hour and it's my only issue. People have replaced their Rift S multiple times and they are still getting the same static flashes even with different PCs. It's definitely a very unusual bug that must be difficult to debug. Hopefully they are making some progress.
    Art3mis
    The 1.38.1 update has reduced the white static flashes on my Rift S.
  • piou44piou44 Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    I have the same problem, I ask for a refund.
    Yeah my white flashes seem to have decreased to just very occasional after the last update.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • lensmandavelensmandave Posts: 375
    Trinity
    I haven't seen a flash all day, maybe they happen when I blink..
    Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz. Asus-Z170-PRO MB
    CORSAIR H105 HYDRO CPU COOLER.
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX1080ti. 16GB DDR4 2666MHZ HYPERX SAVAGE.
    SAMSUNG M.2 SSD 128GB SM951 Boot Drive. SAMSUNG SSD 500GB EVO Working Drive.
    Windows 10  64bit Professional
  • MowTinMowTin Posts: 1,925 Valuable Player
    I still got flashes yesterday. Also, my headset went black and sometimes the tracking gets messed up such that if I move my head from side to side the perspective doesn't change. So I have to unplug and sometimes restart my PC. 

I'm tired of having to reach behind my PC to unplug stuff. 
    i7 9700k 2080ti   CV1, Rift-S, Index
  • ertert222ertert222 Posts: 35
    Brain Burst
    If you are talking about a flash that looks like a "camera flash" taking a pic, I have it also.
    Would be better without it but not really a big problem.

The flashes are very random and even the randomness is random

I mean sometimes it's quite regular at roughly 30 min intervals and sometimes it's gone for a couple hours or more, yesterday I had 2 or 3 flashes at 10 or 15 minute intervals, today only 1 flash in the last 2 hours.

It makes it very hard to pin down whether any particular update helps of not. But personally I think the problem hasn't changed at all and the fix for this hasn't been included in any update yet.

Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v2004 (19041.388)
  • ertert222ertert222 Posts: 35
    Brain Burst
    These VR units are still in their infancy/development stages. Kind of like the first cell phones coming out.
    I bet there will be some incredible stuff coming out in the years to come.
    The brief white flashes for me are becoming much rarer now.
    Don

I thought the same thing last week @dburne !

• ntwigbelsntwigbels Posts: 73
    Hiro Protagonist
    The 1.38.1 update has reduced the white static flashes on my Rift S.
    I thinks so too. They are still there sometimes, but less.
  • V12-StevenXV12-StevenX Posts: 25
    Brain Burst
    edited June 2019
    I've read a work around by Oculus Support and is:

1) Turn on PC
    2) Connect usb 3.0
    3) After ten seconds connect DP port
    4) Start Home Oculus.

This work around is to repeat every time turn On PC? And obviously when Turn Off computer .... unplug all... 
    This mode works? The static flashes are resolved or not with this procedure (meantime waiting an official fix)?

Thanks.