New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

White Static Flashes in Rift S

Comments

• piou44piou44 Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    I've read a work around by Oculus Support and is:

1) Turn on PC
    2) Connect usb 3.0
    3) After ten seconds connect DP port
    4) Start Home Oculus.

This work around is to repeat every time turn On PC? And obviously when Turn Off computer .... unplug all... 
    This mode works? The static flashes are resolved or not with this procedure (meantime waiting an official fix)?

Thanks.

no !!  fake news 
  • V12-StevenXV12-StevenX Posts: 25
    Brain Burst
    Ok 👍
  • GlobespyGlobespy Posts: 125
    Art3mis
    Wow, I was about to purchase the Rift S on a whim as my OG Rift is getting a little tired.
    I'm gonna wait until this is completely resolved as this would drive me nuts.

Plus time to see what the Cosmos turns out to be like.
  • MnemonicMnemonic Posts: 37
    Brain Burst
    Yes, Oculus needs to fix these static flashes, it takes you out of the experience. When you think you are in this virtual world, then all of a sudden - flash. Reminds you that you are looking at the screen.
  • profanicusprofanicus Posts: 13
    Brain Burst
    edited June 2019
    Mnemonic said:
    Yes, Oculus needs to fix these static flashes, it takes you out of the experience. When you think you are in this virtual world, then all of a sudden - flash. Reminds you that you are looking at the screen.
    They are working on a fix, it will come in a future update. How far in the future we don't yet know!
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 8,052 Valuable Player
    Doesn't work for me.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • GlobespyGlobespy Posts: 125
    Art3mis
    snowdog said:
    Doesn't work for me.
    +1
    I'm not buying a product that has technical issues that break the most important function - immersion.
    I'm sure many can overlook it, and accept that it's fine that Oculus released a buggy product (the whole launch was rushed), their money, their choice.
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 8,052 Valuable Player
    Globespy said:
    snowdog said:
    Doesn't work for me.
    +1
    I'm not buying a product that has technical issues that break the most important function - immersion.
    I'm sure many can overlook it, and accept that it's fine that Oculus released a buggy product (the whole launch was rushed), their money, their choice.

That was in reply to @V12-StevenX. I'm happy to wait for Oculus to sort this out. The white flash is distracting, but after experiencing the clarity of the Rift S I can't go back to the blurry Rift.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • john.zigmontjohn.zigmont Posts: 141
    Art3mis
    snowdog said:
    Globespy said:
    snowdog said:
    Doesn't work for me.
    +1

That was in reply to @V12-StevenX. I'm happy to wait for Oculus to sort this out. The white flash is distracting, but after experiencing the clarity of the Rift S I can't go back to the blurry Rift.
    Yes I wish the problem was resolved but it same with all the headsets and
    +1 no more blurry rift and the original rift, vive, odyssey and even the HP Reverb had it own set of problems at launch.
  • OversizeWizardOversizeWizard Posts: 15
    NerveGear
    I have the random static flashes too.

I can deal with it until oculus fix it 
  • AntaresAntares Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    I have random static flashes on Latest Windows, Latest Nvidia Drivers, RTX 2070, I7 8700k
  • mhajii210mhajii210 Posts: 51
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited June 2019
    Guys I got a replacement cable from Oculus support and updated to 1.38.1. I played Fallout 4 VR for 1.5 hours and only got 1 super quick static flash. Don't know if it was just luck but that's the best I've ever gotten since launch. Hopefully it'll stay that way but so far it does seem the static flashes have been reduced on the latest update. 🤞

UPDATE: Forget what I said. I got 4-5 static flashes in the next gaming session. No change with new cable or 1.38.1. 😓
  • hashcheckhashcheck Posts: 23
    Brain Burst
    I also am getting them with the Rift S on a Helios 500 GTX1070 8750H 32GB Ram 2x 1Tb 660P NVMEs 

happened multiple times through out a bigscreen session 
  • CharlieLimaCharlieLima Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I have a day 1 Rift S and get the random white static flashes
    Brain Burst
    this needs to be fixed. Used both DVI & HDMI Connections and getting issue latest Nvidia Drivers
    Brain Burst
    Getting flashes even in Oculus Home
    Hiro Protagonist
    Looks like no change on PTC 1.39 to address the static flashes. 😓
  • mashermetsmashermets Posts: 20
    NerveGear
    When did 1.39 drop last night? Oculus support told me they are working on a firmware update to fix the issue. Was there a firmware with 1.39?
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited June 2019
    No firmware update yet. It's just software update for now. Maybe 1.39 firmware update will drop soon???

NerveGear
    I hope so I'm finding it more annoying now it's been out a little while now, I've been through all the support steps was getting better, in till the last step which was reinstalling the oculus software, which almost bricked the device:( had to do it twice and it's back to how it was ( static white flashes ) but it forgets my guardian setup nearly every time I start it up now. I'm starting to feel like a hardware beta tester that pays them to work lol. Fingers crossed 1.39 improves a lot of rift s out here :neutral:
  • adam.poole.313adam.poole.313 Posts: 175
    Art3mis
    1.39 states that it upgraded firmware to address display issues, which I assume was directed towards this issue. But... I'm still having the problem after updating. I'm beginning to regret my purchase.
    Oculus Rift S, CV1
    Intel i7-8700K
    ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero
    16GB DDR4 x 2
    4 TB SDD, 2 TB SSD, 1 TB SSD
    Windows 10 Home
    NerveGear
    I think my rift was on firmware 1.71 so I'll have a look after work. Last update on ptc (1.38.1) didn't say what it did. Not very much on mine :( starting to notice more you tube rift s problems videos! Not good advertising Oculus!!! 
    Hiro Protagonist
    I think my rift was on firmware 1.71 so I'll have a look after work. Last update on ptc (1.38.1) didn't say what it did. Not very much on mine :( starting to notice more you tube rift s problems videos! Not good advertising Oculus!!! 
    You're correct firmware is still 1.71 so this is a software update only. 
    Brain Burst
    yup only software mine still does it.. needs firmware update??
  • hairyface71hairyface71 Posts: 8
    NerveGear
    Oh dear....installation stopped(stuck)....whatever....
    Lost my motivation...i just don't have time in this moment for all this updating and testing if it's flashing/working or not ..... propably no vr for me until this is fixed so leaving my rift s to get some rest now and waiting better days.....have fun.
  • dburnedburne Posts: 4,297 Valuable Player
    1.39 states that it upgraded firmware to address display issues, which I assume was directed towards this issue. But... I'm still having the problem after updating. I'm beginning to regret my purchase.
    I do not see that stated in the 1.39 PTC update notes anywhere.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
    NerveGear
    Where can you read update notes on PTC undated? I get nothing in the app 
  • dburnedburne Posts: 4,297 Valuable Player
    Where can you read update notes on PTC undated? I get nothing in the app 
    Very first post in the 1.39 PTC thread:
    https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/77858/rift-s-and-rift-1-39-ptc-release-notes#latest
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
    Brain Burst
    edited June 2019
    Oculus i just spent AUS $649 if no fix soon will be returned. i never had issues with cv1
    My PSVR doesn't have the best tracking but works always 

NerveGear
    I know how you feel I upgraded cpu, gpu, motherboard, ram all for vr!! Could have brought an old school tv and watch static all day long for £50! Feels like a waste of £1200 my old pc played all my flat games no problem :( Oculus support that I spoke to alluded to that the firmware update being part of the 1.39 update which it's not!!! No one even said it can be fixed with firmware from support!! If it does not get fixed soon I'll want my money back :(