New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

White Static Flashes in Rift S

Comments

• MnemonicMnemonic Posts: 37
    Brain Burst
    Same here, I don't have G-Sync monitor, and no G-Sync setting in the drivers.
    These "tests" can be decisive, sometimes I also think "I fixed it!" and don't have a flash for a few hours, happily then I have a few in a row, so they are very random
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 5,961 Volunteer Moderator
    ZeroThg said:
    I have no gsync monitor and no gsync Option in the nvidia menu. :(

Yeah, same here.

The flashes can be quite close together, even seconds apart on a few occasions in my case... and sometimes hours apart. So it can seem like a change in some settings has made a difference but it's only possible to know for sure after several hours have been spent in the headset.

Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v2004 (19041.388)
  • john.zigmontjohn.zigmont Posts: 123
    Art3mis
    edited July 2019
    Again I wish Oculus would make a general announcement regarding this (white static)  issue so user's  don't waste time with all these home brewed solutions that don't work.
  • cybernettrcybernettr Posts: 939
    3Jane
    On my CV1, color static flashes were always a sign that the displays were about to fail (3 times in 3 years). 
  • MowTinMowTin Posts: 1,925 Valuable Player
    Is your cord tangled? Have you tried untangling it to see if it's an issue with electromagnetic interference? 
    i7 9700k 2080ti   CV1, Rift-S, Index
  • philippe.heroux.58philippe.heroux.58 Posts: 51
    Hiro Protagonist
    Danure said:
    This issue is worse than ever and shows no sign of getting better. Tonight it happened over 20 times in the space of 2 hours. Some of those were seconds apart! If Oculus refuses to tell us what the issue is then I guess it's time to open a ticket.
    The static flashes are getting more frequent for me as well. I'm not an electrical engineer but is it possible there is a piece of hardware in the headset that is degrading over time?
    Brain Burst
    Some days it's very frequent, some others it's the opposite, so it doesn't look like degrading to me, it's just random.
    Brain Burst
    Also good idea to vote for the fix if you have the issue and didn't yet voted here: https://oculus.uservoice.com/forums/918556-oculus-rift-s-and-rift/suggestions/37852864-fix-static-flashes

Just to bring more visibility to the problem
    Art3mis
    edited July 2019
    At this point if the issue isn't resolved within the next week I will refund the Rift-s once it's resolved I will purchase it again this issue should of been resolved before it was released.
  • philippe.heroux.58philippe.heroux.58 Posts: 51
    Hiro Protagonist
    GamingTC2 said:
    Until today I also had the white flashes.  Many white flashes in project cars menu.
    Then I turned off Gsync and changed image settings to "let 3d application decide".
    Few hours later still no flashes in project cars menu. Before every minute in the menu and every half hour while playing project cars.
    I will test further the next few days.
    I tried this but it didn't help for me.
  • hashcheckhashcheck Posts: 23
    Brain Burst
    i am getting a replacement from amazon and sending other back will see how that goes
    Brain Burst
    hashcheck said:
    i am getting a replacement from amazon and sending other back will see how that goes
    Few people in this thread already replaced their headsets, and problem persisted, so not sure if that would help actually
  • RosgilliesRosgillies Posts: 170
    Art3mis
    I had the cable replaced, same problem, flashes.
  • netshamannetshaman Posts: 95
    Hiro Protagonist
    I have this too, it seems to be a software problem.

Brain Burst
    Mine didn't flash again used in oculus home with virtual desktop and Elgato capture Nintendo switch. New one arriving tomorrow will test that one also. I'm using oculus tool kit plugin and advanced settings tool in steamvr
  • clemencaclemenca Posts: 28
    Brain Burst
    Waiting for fixing this problem since first use of Rift S on 02.06.19...
  • SesharimSesharim Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    just opt in the beta and got all the updates but flashes are here to stay -.-
  • mhajii210mhajii210 Posts: 51
    Hiro Protagonist
    Guys just try to be patient. I know we all want the static flashes to go away but obviously if it was an easy fix Oculus would have fixed it by now. You will drive yourself crazy if you keep attempting to fix it yourself. I replaced my cable and it made no difference. I've pretty much given up as far as trying to correct it from my end and I'm waiting now for Oculus to release a firmware update that will hopefully reduce or resolve the static flashes.
    Art3mis
    mhajii210 said:
    Guys just try to be patient. I know we all want the static flashes to go away but obviously if it was an easy fix Oculus would have fixed it by now. You will drive yourself crazy if you keep attempting to fix it yourself. I replaced my cable and it made no difference. I've pretty much given up as far as trying to correct it from my end and I'm waiting now for Oculus to release a firmware update that will hopefully reduce or resolve the static flashes.

Be patient the unit never should have never been released with this problem I have done more troubleshooting, exchanging my rift-s for another one contacting customer service three times, exchanging cables reinstalling oculus software as I stated before if the problem isn't addressed by the end of the week I returning my rift-s once the problem is resolved I will purchase it again.
    Oculus should have announced they are working on a solution instead of wasting the user's time with troubleshooting
    When the flashes happen every 5 minutes or so it's a game breaker.
    This problem is very widespread it's not just one or two Rift-s which have the problem and also none of reviews I watched pointed out this problem.

• Comrade_IvanComrade_Ivan Posts: 126
    Art3mis
    Just a guess here based on personal observations - the issue appears to be exacerbated by heat.

If I unplug my headset and leave it so for the night, the first 30-60 min of subsequent use tend to be free of any problems. But once the headset gets nice and toasty, the issues start to pile up at increasing rate.

Also noticed more frequent problems on warm days and in bright VR scenes. For example, playing Alien Isolation in VR (dark scenes) after the headset was sufficiently cooled, will often lend 60 min of play with no issues. But if I jump into something bright, like Talos Principle, I get noise in the first 20 min of play.

Can anyone confirm this? Or perhaps provide evidence to the contrary, so I'm not barking up the wrong tree?
  • lensmandavelensmandave Posts: 375
    Trinity
    Just a guess here based on personal observations - the issue appears to be exacerbated by heat.

If I unplug my headset and leave it so for the night, the first 30-60 min of subsequent use tend to be free of any problems. But once the headset gets nice and toasty, the issues start to pile up at increasing rate.

Also noticed more frequent problems on warm days and in bright VR scenes. For example, playing Alien Isolation in VR (dark scenes) after the headset was sufficiently cooled, will often lend 60 min of play with no issues. But if I jump into something bright, like Talos Principle, I get noise in the first 20 min of play.

Can anyone confirm this? Or perhaps provide evidence to the contrary, so I'm not barking up the wrong tree?
    Wrong tree I think. I've had a flash seconds after putting on the headset while still in Home. Other times one may turn up a couple of hours later.
    Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz. Asus-Z170-PRO MB
    CORSAIR H105 HYDRO CPU COOLER.
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX1080ti. 16GB DDR4 2666MHZ HYPERX SAVAGE.
    SAMSUNG M.2 SSD 128GB SM951 Boot Drive. SAMSUNG SSD 500GB EVO Working Drive.
    Windows 10  64bit Professional
  • mashermetsmashermets Posts: 20
    NerveGear
    I'd agree I just had one minutes after putting hmd on. We just have to wait for them to sort it with an update, be nice to know what causes it tho : /
  • mashermetsmashermets Posts: 20
    NerveGear
    I normally get a couple an hour I had loads in half hour playing euro truck sim 2 last night. 
  • MowTinMowTin Posts: 1,925 Valuable Player
    mhajii210 said:
    But I've seen these issues before. When I tried to use an HDM to displayport adapter with my cv1 I got those kinds of issues. The problem had to do with the quality of the adapter and the cable. 

It's possible that Lenovo / Oculus just used cheap parts. There's no fix for that. Unless, they develop a new cable that does a better job transmitting the signal. 
    i7 9700k 2080ti   CV1, Rift-S, Index
    Hiro Protagonist
    MowTin said:
    mhajii210 said:
    But I've seen these issues before. When I tried to use an HDM to displayport adapter with my cv1 I got those kinds of issues. The problem had to do with the quality of the adapter and the cable. 

It's possible that Lenovo / Oculus just used cheap parts. There's no fix for that. Unless, they develop a new cable that does a better job transmitting the signal. 
    I definitely agree that Oculus should release an official statement and provide an update as far as what they have found, what they're still looking into, and what they are going to do about it. At this time, without any information from Oculus, it's possible it's a hardware or software problem. It's pretty sad to be still just as clueless as we were a month ago, but that's the reality of the situation. For me I usually get 1-2 static flashes early on in Fallout 4 VR (so not a heat issue), and 1-2 per hour from then on. I've only seen the static flashes while playing Fallout 4 VR, and I haven't tested it with any other game. Since my static flashes are not that frequent, I'm tolerating it and waiting patiently. If they were happening more often though, I would have definitely returned the headset. 

Hiro Protagonist
    Guys one thing I was thinking about... is there any way to turn off the monitor once the headset is connected to see if that gets rid of the static flashes? I know I can unplug the monitor, but is there a way to do it inside Windows 10 to test? I know people were having problems with a dual monitor set-up, and they solved their black screen problems by disabling the secondary monitor. It seems the Rift S is really pushing things too hard. 
  • dburnedburne Posts: 3,748 Valuable Player
    mhajii210 said:
    Guys one thing I was thinking about... is there any way to turn off the monitor once the headset is connected to see if that gets rid of the static flashes? I know I can unplug the monitor, but is there a way to do it inside Windows 10 to test? I know people were having problems with a dual monitor set-up, and they solved their black screen problems by disabling the secondary monitor. It seems the Rift S is really pushing things too hard. 
    Yep I certainly can not run my secondary monitor whilst using Rift S due to black screen issue, with it disabled no problem at all. Keep hoping it will get fixed in an update , will see. Support seemed to think I would be a rare case.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
    Brain Burst
    I am running second monitor and new unit arrived not flashes so far. All running from a laptop fullsize DVI and HDMI connections. Helios 500 gtx1070. Not sure why my flashes stopped maybe something in background. I did put all oculus services to high in task manager 
    Brain Burst
    edited July 2019
    hashcheck said:
    I am running second monitor and new unit arrived not flashes so far. 
    Please try it for a day / two, before writing "no flashes so far", it's pretty much every day for me "no flashes so far" before there are flashes. Flashes are very random, sometimes they are there within minutes, sometimes after an hour or more.
    Brain Burst
    So used for 1hr in in virtual desktops on oculus home I got a very very brief flash but only the 1 and not visible like last unit I had.