Oculus Rift S black screen on MSI Laptop with Mini Display Port Adapter — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Oculus Rift S black screen on MSI Laptop with Mini Display Port Adapter

AupumaAupuma Posts: 2
NerveGear
Hi, my Rift S has arrived today and I have two computers where I want to use it. 

First, I have tried it on a MSI Laptop model GP63 Leopard 8RE, using the Mini Display Port adapter.
At first it was recognized, but when it was going through the setup process there were some errors, I had to reconnect the USB and Display Port.
Finally I got to the end, where it says "Continue on the VR headset" and when I put it on, the screen does not light up, it is completely black. 
The laptop succeded without any issues the compatibility tool, it is VR Ready and carries a Gtx 1060 with the latest drivers, I don't know if the MiniDisplay Port is connected directly to the Nvidia Gpu or the integrated GPU...

Then I connected the Rift S to my desktop PC and it works properly, so it has to do with the laptop or the adapter, not the headset. Any ideas?

Comments

• LBayardLBayard Posts: 9
    NerveGear
    I have an MSI GS 65 and have had the same problem with the Rift S. I don't event get past the initial setup. I have about a minute before Rift S crashes and I get black screens. I don't think it is the laptop, because I am using an Oculus Rift with touch controllers on it just fine.

from what I read, any one of these could cause issues with the Rift S (in general - not just for laptops):
    1) it could be the USB ports not being strong enough to power the Rift S
      - try different ports
    2) the Rift S might not be compatible with USB 3.1 ports. 
      - not sure about this one, my laptop has 3 USB 3.1 port on it
      - I tried connecting the Rift S to a 3.0 USB hub connected to by laptop, no success
    3) In the case of  my laptop, the intel integrated graphics card might cause issues.
      - prioritizing which graphics card to use for the oculus client and related did not solve my problem
    4) the mini display port - though this is stupid because the laptop and Rift S specification both say DP 1.2
      - maybe the miniDP adapter provided is a lower or higher version?
    5) The laptop controlling power to the USB ports
      - go into Power management -> advanced settings and ensure that the USB ports are not controlled under power management
      - tried this too didn't work
    6) Upgrading your Windows 10 version to 1903

you are welcome to try any of these to get it working on your laptop, but I'm leaning towards the mini display port adapter if you were able to get it working on another computer. I haven't tried my Rift S on another computer yet.
  • MikePixelPusherMikePixelPusher Posts: 37
    Brain Burst
     I have msi laptop too and have the same issue. Your not alone. It appears to be a wide spread issue. 
    System: MSI GE73 Raider RGB 8RE Laptop
    GPU: NVIDIA GTX 1060

Brain Burst
    I was wondering if I used a usb-c to displayport adapter would work? 

• knutsiknutsi Posts: 145
    Art3mis
    I was wondering if I used a usb-c to displayport adapter would work? 
    Maybe this answers it: https://youtu.be/52qlZ8yur8s
    Brain Burst
    Thanks for the info.

• MorgrumMorgrum Posts: 1,573 Valuable Player
    edited May 27
    Guys I use a MSI laptop and I needrd a powered usb hub.
    once I connected to it sll issues solved.

WAAAGH!
    Brain Burst
    Morgrum said:
    Guys I use a MSI laptop and I needrd a powered usb hub.
    once I connected to it sll issues solved.

That didn't work for me. 

NerveGear
    I will try a type c to DP adapter
    I am sorry Mike the best advice I can tell you to do now is look in device manager and find out specifically what display port you have and get the new drivers for it.
    WAAAGH!
    NerveGear
    the type C to DP adapter did not work for me ...
    Brain Burst
    LBayard said:
    the type C to DP adapter did not work for me ...
    Thanks for trying. I have officially ran out of ideas.. 

• BryrosBryros Posts: 11
    NerveGear
    edited May 28
    +1. Now, the game see in the monitor pc but no in the oculus. I dont have any idea :(

Now, if i run a game, the game play in the portatil screen but not in the glasses.
    I think that the problem is the mini hdmi but i don't have any idea.

Later, i Try in other pc, but in my portatil is lose
  • hscheckhscheck Posts: 10
    NerveGear
    Had a similar issue on an MSI GP73 laptop w/ gtx 1070.  Rift S video would go black after 20 to 25 seconds into the setup.  Installed an older NVIDIA driver (ver 417.71) and its been fine since.
    Brain Burst
    This the support response I just received. 

"Hi Michael,

I apologize for the delay in getting to you; as Rory mentioned, the launch has us busier than usual.

We're preparing to roll out an update to resolve some connection and tracking issues, and I'd like to test this patch on your computer. The patch is available on the Public Test Channel.

To opt in, go to Settings, then Beta, and click the tab next to Public Test Channel. The software will download and install an update, then restart. After that, it should update the firmware on both the headset and the Touch controllers.

Once everything is done updating, please test the Rift S and let me know if the issue continues."

Good luck mike i hope it works.
    WAAAGH!
  • JoeSowaJoeSowa Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    If you apply for the test server on the Settings>Beta tab of the Oculus app, download the update, the mini DisplayPort works!( Also in windows setting enable your camera, or the sensors won't work!)
    Brain Burst
    JoeSowa said:
    If you apply for the test server on the Settings>Beta tab of the Oculus app, download the update, the mini DisplayPort works!( Also in windows setting enable your camera, or the sensors won't work!)
    What computer or laptop do you have?

• odarialodarial Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    I have same problem with msi gl63 8rd (nvidia 1050ti) ill try it with miniport to usb type c adapter.
    Brain Burst
    odarial said:
    I have same problem with msi gl63 8rd (nvidia 1050ti) ill try it with miniport to usb type c adapter.
    Also try the newest beta firmware. 

• sraurasraura Posts: 435
    Trinity
    here you can find entire section for MSI laptops;

Brain Burst
    sraura said:

That doesn't give me much hope..

Trinity
    sraura said:

That doesn't give me much hope..
    Assuming you got "GE73 Raider RGB 8RE" with "Geforce GTX 1060", you could try following:
    - installing all the driver, bios and firmware updates from here: https://www.msi.com/Laptop/support/GE73-Raider-RGB-8RE#down-bios (including the lastest Nvidia graphics drivers they offer there)
    - plugging your Rift S to Type-A USB3.1 Gen1 port instead of Gen2 port
    - opting to PTC (beta build) on oculus app.
    - also updating windows to latest _available_ version might pay off... but might be risky if that involves manual downloads and hotfixes...

Thumbs up for you :)
    Brain Burst
    edited June 17
    I got it to work! I played for 3+ hours.

I installed the newest video card drivers provided by MSI (Driver version 417.77).  Downloaded directly from the MSI website for my laptop. I did a clean install.

Hopefully it stays working. Did this work for anyone else?

• BardweiserBardweiser Posts: 1
    NerveGear

I installed the newest video card drivers provided by MSI (Driver version 417.77).  Downloaded directly from the MSI website for my laptop. I did a clean install.

You have the exact same system I do and I just bought my Rift S yesterday only to get it home to encounter this same issue.  Unfortunately I'm at work so I can't do much from here (other than remote in and replace the video drivers) but that you got yours to work makes me hopeful!
    Trinity
    @MikePixelPusher nice to hear that it worked for you. Happy gaming.
    Brain Burst
    edited June 26

You have the exact same system I do and I just bought my Rift S yesterday only to get it home to encounter this same issue.  Unfortunately I'm at work so I can't do much from here (other than remote in and replace the video drivers) but that you got yours to work makes me hopeful!
    Did it work for you? Mine is still working!

• stephanepistephanepi Posts: 1
    NerveGear

Did it work for you? Mine is still working!
    This worked for me. That's the only thing I didn't think about : vga driver :smile:. Driver version 417.77  from MSI website works just fine. Thank you. 
  • Dal_PalDal_Pal Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Anyone got any fixes for the GE63 Raider RGB 8RE with Geforce GTX 1060? I can't seem to install driver version 417.77.
  • Dal_PalDal_Pal Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Okay so the 391.48 version worked for me, except everything is a little dim and I don't know how to adjust it. But no black screen anymore.
    Brain Burst
    Dal_Pal said:
    Okay so the 391.48 version worked for me, except everything is a little dim and I don't know how to adjust it. But no black screen anymore.
    Try and go into safe mode then uninstall 391.48 and install 417.77. also make sure your window 10 is completely up to date.