Rift-S Controllers Lag in Grip Release — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Rift-S Controllers Lag in Grip Release

TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 1,054
Wintermute

When I close my grip on my Rift-S touch controller (last 3 fingers) and hold it for a second or two, then release, there is quite a bit of lag before they open again.  The right controller seems worse than the left.  My old Rift cv1 did not have any lag.  The problem is when you are in a game and try to grip something, then throw it, the lag causes it to either stick to your hand or weakly go offline.  Hopefully this is just another tracking issue that will soon be fixed with an update.  Tracking lag and screen flashing are my only complaints with my Rift-S so far.
Alienware 17r4 Laptop with i7-7700hq 2.8/3.6, 32 gb ram, gtx1060 w/6gb ram, 256gb ssd, 1tb hdd, Oculus Rift w/2x sensors.  Now using an Alienware Graphics Amplifier (AGA) with Zotac gtx1080ti Blower and Asus vg248qe 144hz external monitor.  All works great!

Comments

• saami81saami81 Posts: 108
    Art3mis
    I noticed something similar when playing Robo Recall. Trying to reload your weapons by throwing them away and picking from holsters again in fast pace seemed very clunky compared to cv1. I hope this will get fixed asap.
  • antitrust42antitrust42 Posts: 115
    Hiro Protagonist
    same here
  • jayhawkjayhawk Posts: 784
    3Jane
    edited May 27
    same. def a difference between the S and OG Rift. I noticed it the most when opening the box rewards in home. boxes wouldn't let go when tossed. First noticed it in Oculus First Steps trying to toss the cubes. Fitting title I guess.
  • Sang0rSang0r Posts: 8
    NerveGear
    Take the battery cover off the controller and try again, it's the only thing that fixes the grip delay for me.
  • jokerjosh314jokerjosh314 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Im having this issue as well, has Oculus made a statement about this common issue. It makes the throwing function useless which breaks immersion significantly
  • MAC_MAN86MAC_MAN86 Posts: 2,192
    Wintermute
    Well is common place to either REBOOT or Power-Cycle after any Firmeware to bed in and remove any traces in cache memory of older data. By swapping re-charable batteries this is done soon enough but they fail to tell us as a New User how to do the most basic things e.g. Install with Antivirus=OFF. Same is true for Power Off PC and disconnect RIFT to drain any traces.
  • xwarxlordxxwarxlordx Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    edited May 27
    I'm having the same issue with my Rift S . Robo Recall is Very difficulty to play when you cant release rockets, robots....  hopefully a fix is coming. 
  • AJB52203AJB52203 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I have it worse on one controller and fine on the other but then it switches sometimes, makes super hot very hard to play
    Wintermute
    edited May 27
    Yes, eeeer let's hope a fix is on it's way because it makes it harder LOL ;)
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 1,054
    Wintermute
    Sang0r said:
    Take the battery cover off the controller and try again, it's the only thing that fixes the grip delay for me.
    I thought that this was someone trying to be funny but it actually works for me.  Taking the battery covers off the controllers gets rid of just about all lag.  Maybe the magnets on the covers are causing the lag???

I just hope I don't play something that gives me sweaty palms, lol!  I may just make a little foam plug to cover this area temporarily.  Thanks for the tip @Sang0r ;

Alienware 17r4 Laptop with i7-7700hq 2.8/3.6, 32 gb ram, gtx1060 w/6gb ram, 256gb ssd, 1tb hdd, Oculus Rift w/2x sensors.  Now using an Alienware Graphics Amplifier (AGA) with Zotac gtx1080ti Blower and Asus vg248qe 144hz external monitor.  All works great!
  • Sang0rSang0r Posts: 8
    NerveGear
    Glad it helped Tom, it makes me wonder if they are going to have to replace the faulty controllers that have this issue.
    Wintermute
    Just wait for the LOLs when Oculus Support are given this to email out! :D 
    Then the Oculus Shop Floor Techs receiving all these units and removing covers, replacing the same covers, then shipping them out again!
  • KlodsBrikKlodsBrik Posts: 1,177
    Wintermute
    If thats the case... lol

Be good, die great !
    Wintermute
    edited May 28
    Sang0r said:
    Glad it helped Tom, it makes me wonder if they are going to have to replace the faulty controllers that have this issue.
    It looks like Oculus are going to need to do some physical mod.  This does not look like something they can fix with software imho.

Hopefully they will come up with a revised battery case that they can quickly manufacture and ship out to everyone.  

I actually already like the feel without the  battery case cover because I'm finding it easier to grab and orientate the flat battery side in palm of my hands.  In the meantime I think I'll just cut a bit of foam to cover/protect the battery and hold in on with one or two short, wide elastic bands.  I'm sure other guys can think of more imaginative short term solutions, lol!  

I may try taking one of the battery case round little magnets out, probably starting with the top one closest to the grip controller and see if this helps or not.
  • KlodsBrikKlodsBrik Posts: 1,177
    Wintermute
    edited May 28
    Damn, this is for real ... lol
     FFS ... All the incoming memes .. :D
    Be good, die great !
    Wintermute
    edited May 28
    Maybe the Firmware Update needed the covers OFF if the magnets are preventing proper updates to write into memory. They don't run properly for Battery Usage either for the CV1.
  • sc204sc204 Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    Taking the cover off helps but not an absolute fix for me.  Still get times when releasing the trigger in Eleven Table tennis does not drop the ball even with the cover removed.  Makes for messed up serves :)
    Wintermute
    Well I had a bit of this with RIFT CV1 too. It goes away after a few tries. They also both share similar issues with Battery Usage not powering off and my RIFT Touch goes after when at 50%.
  • kojackkojack Posts: 5,243 Volunteer Moderator
    I haven't seen this on any of my 4 new touch controllers.

If you want to observe it a bit easier, give Oculus Monitor a try: https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/69471/oculus-monitor-v0-2-1-13-nov-18
    It will show you the actual trigger values in real time.

Wintermute
    edited May 28
    kojack said:
    I haven't seen this on any of my 4 new touch controllers.

If you want to observe it a bit easier, give Oculus Monitor a try: https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/69471/oculus-monitor-v0-2-1-13-nov-18
    It will show you the actual trigger values in real time.

@kojack I think this problem is better to observe in action.  All you need to do is go into your Oculus home, hold your hands in front of you, use the last 3 fingers (only) and hold the grip button for a second or two, then quickly release them.  Repeat this a few times.  If your virtual last three fingers snap back open that's great.  Mine and others do not.  They (esp. right controller) seem to stick closed and there is quite a bit of lag until they open.

Once the battery cover is removed the lag is greatly reduced and they seem to open fairly well.  However, they still do not seem to spring back as fast as they do with my cv1.  But without the battery cover, at least grabbing/throwing games are playable.

Are you saying that all your touch controllers using your Rift-S do not have this issue?  Thanks.

@sc204 Even with the battery cover removed the grip release seems to me a little bit slower than the cv1 (which releases as fast as lightning) so you need to time things a little better.  If you are having other tracking issues like controllers stuttering/shifting/freezing then this is going to have an effect as well.  Hopefully new firmware will help improve controller tracking stability.

Edit; just played Eleven table tennis and I did not notice any sticky balls.  I also played a bit of Toybox to test out throwing things around and now with the battery cover off everything grabs and releases fine.
    Wintermute
    Good one Rune, that just about sums it up for many.  Don't forget about the intermittent flashes (~ every 30 min for me) and it sounds like some are getting cables replaced already.

As long as there are temp workarounds and most my games/sims are playable, I'm not too fussed about first release hiccups.  Sometimes 1/2 the fun is getting though all these.  The improved picture quality is fantastic and this helps make everything else worthwhile to ride out, for me anyway.

I still confident that Oculus will sort these issues in a timely manner.  I agree, those guys are going to be busy little beavers for a while, lol!
  • kojackkojack Posts: 5,243 Volunteer Moderator
    All works fine for me in Home too. The animation of the release is a little slow, but since that's not used by games for grip it doesn't matter. Actual release of grabbed objects in Home is instant.

I just put Superhot on and played it for a while on my Rift-S. Throwing is easy, instant release of hands every time.

I loaded Roborecall on the quest with my other controllers. Zero lag there too. Of course it has other problems (hands get zero velocity when no in line of sight so throwing doesn't always work, but the release is still instant. It would actually be easier with lag since it would give time for the hands to get back to tracking before throwing.

Wintermute
    Maybe go into Toybox and throw around those little blue boomerangs, gripping them with just your last 3 fingers.  Before removing the battery cover it would not release properly, especially the right controller.  Now it’s perfect.

Please only refer to your Rift S, not your Quest.  It’s getting hard to separate these issues as it is.  We probably need a separate Rift S section, at least for a little while imho.  Thanks and I’m glad to hear everything is working 100% for you.
    NerveGear
    Even with the battery cover off and far away still getting some sticking of the ball to the left controller in Eleven TT.  Not as often though.
    Wintermute
    sc204 said:
    Even with the battery cover off and far away still getting some sticking of the ball to the left controller in Eleven TT.  Not as often though.
    Look, that has nothing to do with the grip lag that this thread is about.  Yours sounds like a sticking fire button.  There is no grab/release in Eleven TT.  You have started another thread about this so maybe discuss this issue there.  Thanks.
    NerveGear
    TomCgcmfc said:
    sc204 said:
    Look, that has nothing to do with the grip lag that this thread is about.  Yours sounds like a sticking fire button.  There is no grab/release in Eleven TT.  You have started another thread about this so maybe discuss this issue there.  Thanks.
    Both problems improve with removal of the battery cover.   Just because Eleven TT chose the trigger button to release the ball instead of the grip button do you really think that they are separate problems.  Sounds like the same issue to me.  Both are a lag in release.
    Wintermute
    edited May 28
    @sc204 , Ya, sorry you are probably right.  They are both a release lag issue.  I guess if you got this then other shooter games would lag between shots.  I did not see this myself, even with the battery cover on.  After playing quite a few shooters I never noticed any lag between shots, but on the other hand I'm not exactly the fastest gun in the west, lol!
    Wintermute
    Just tried PokerstarsVR and yup you guessed it, my free Spin did not release!
    Plus in game, a few loss of tracking, some twitchy fingers and plenty crashes!
    You can bet all the constant crashes of players there are RIFT S users!