New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Rift S - Headset Black screen on Setup "Continue with headset"

vikinutsvikinuts Posts: 7
NerveGear

Hi, today i use for the first time my new Rift S.
I install the oculus software, download all firmware and connect the headset.
They work well until i arrive in the "continue with headset" screen and i can't do anything because in my headset i don't see anthing, it remain in a black screen.

Power blu led and white led are on but i can't continue with the setup.

I already do this task:

- Repair Oculus setup

- Update Nvidia Driver

- Disable usb power management standby in usb 3 root in device manager

- Update Oculus driver

- Remove headmask and reconnect the cable after 5 seconds.

- Change usb 3.0 port and DP port.

I still always have black screen in my headset and i can' t do the setup.
In device manager i see usb3 "oculus rift s hub"  and the camera "rift s sensor"

How i can do??

This is my rig:

i7 3770k

Gigabyte z77 ds3h

Rtx 2060 FE

4x4GB RAM 1600

SSd 850 120GB (For SO. in this i have oculus software)

Crucial mx 500GB (This is the path for oculus software and games)

2 x HD Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 7200rp

Corsair cx500m

Sharkoon TG5 Rgb

1  1080p 60Hz monitor connected with HDMI.

SO: I have a clean windows 10 may 2019 update.

I already made the oculus support ticket

Thanks for all reply and sorry for my english

Comments

• Scottster_Scottster_ Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    I am convinced it is a software/driver bug issue on Oculus' end. I have spent countless hours troubleshooting since Friday with no resolution. I set back up my original Rift and it works flawlessly.
     This is not an isolated issue. Many are suffering from it.
  • PunkarelliPunkarelli Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I'm in the same boat.
  • BlacktidesBlacktides Posts: 11
    NerveGear
    same :(

doing my head in now
    NerveGear
    I am convinced it is a software/driver bug issue on Oculus' end. I have spent countless hours troubleshooting since Friday with no resolution. I set back up my original Rift and it works flawlessly.

would be interesting to find out - its weird so i have a 1080ti in my machine and ive spent hours the same as yourself to try and resolve - even went too the extreem of wiping my pc and starting again, whats fustrating is my friend brought a rift s the same day and his works perfectly at home, he even brough his headset over to test if mine was just broken but still a black screen in his working unit.

very concerning and very fustrating.

• BananaroBananaro Posts: 7
    NerveGear

would be interesting to find out - its weird so i have a 1080ti in my machine and ive spent hours the same as yourself to try and resolve - even went too the extreem of wiping my pc and starting again, whats fustrating is my friend brought a rift s the same day and his works perfectly at home, he even brough his headset over to test if mine was just broken but still a black screen in his working unit.

well, that at least proves it's not a faulty unit.
  • Scottster_Scottster_ Posts: 2
    NerveGear

Does your friend have an Nvidea card as well? I have a 1070ti. I DL'd the new driver today and tried it with "S" before going back to my original Rift.
  • GGAUGGAU Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    Try the front USB port, that's the only thing that worked for me.
  • BryrosBryros Posts: 12
    NerveGear
    The same and tried to repair but it does not work. I think I'll contact support or I do not know what to do.

NerveGear
    GGAU said:
    Try the front USB port, that's the only thing that worked for me.
    My pc case is too big to reach from too the front and still get into the DP :( going to order a DP extender cable and pray... will let you know if any update.

i have contacted support regardless so lets see what happens.

NerveGear

Does your friend have an Nvidea card as well? I have a 1070ti. I DL'd the new driver today and tried it with "S" before going back to my original Rift.
    he has a Titan i have a 1080ti but as far as i guess "newness" my card is actually the newer of the two as  he got his titan before the 10 series cards came out.

but its a bit of a ballache too be fair - spend a couple of grand on a PC and then 400 on a headset to be greeted with darkness :P
  • vikinutsvikinuts Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    FIX!
    For me the fix is : (If you are on initial setup, skip it)

1 - Unplug both USB and DP 2 -  In the main menu if the Oculus software, on the left.  GoRestart Oculus software (Settings -> Beta) 3 - Wait until it gets back in 4 - Restart Setup process 5 - Plug USB first and wait for it to be detected 6 - Then plus DP and allow time for it to be discovered.

Now proceed with next steps and everything should work

NerveGear
    vikinuts said:
    FIX!

1 - Unplug both USB and DP 2 -  In the main menu if the Oculus software, on the left.  GoRestart Oculus software (Settings -> Beta) 3 - Wait until it gets back in 4 - Restart Setup process 5 - Plug USB first and wait for it to be detected 6 - Then plus DP and allow time for it to be discovered.

sadly this did not work for me :(

my system below if anyone has similar build and manages to fix please let me know.
    ----------------------------------------

Rog Maximus x Hero Motherboard
    Intel core i7 -8700k 6 core 3.7Ghz
    16GB Corsair veng ram.
    GTx 1080Ti - 3 DP - 1 HDMI

• MAC_MAN86MAC_MAN86 Posts: 2,262
    Wintermute
    I got this for the 1st time after my 2nd use whilst setting up Audio BASS. Could this be due to condensation covering the sensor with heat not escaping due to an air-tight seal???
  • LtDanTailorLtDanTailor Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    vikinuts said:
    FIX!

The trick did it for me!... And before: Uninstalled Oculus Software, deleting every file with "oculus" there was and did a registry cleanup before I did a reinstall oft OHome. 

Was spending the whole afternoon trying everything suggested and I could possibly think of. 

Thanks mate! 
  • BryrosBryros Posts: 12
    NerveGear
    Dont wor for me. Now, i see the Vr for 30 sec aprox and turn the light off again...
    NerveGear
    Yesterday mine started to work after connecting to front USB port, but not today! 
    I kept connecting to different ports, now I can get it going by connecting to USB 2 port at the back first, wait for detect and complain about USB 2, then connect to USB 3 at the back, then screen turns on (sometimes I need to close Oculus App as well).
    What a pain, CV1 works perfectly...
  • LtDanTailorLtDanTailor Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Yes, my Cv1 worked perfectly before too. But I still remember that painful day my first rift fell off my desk and was broken. Bought another one on ebay, and connected it that day... and guess what.. it didn't work. Disconnecting, software failures .. don't remember exactly, but a mess. 
    Actually I did, what I did now. Disconnected the Hardware, whipped off all the software, drivers, registry entries.. just everything possible that could make my PC remember there was any rift connected before, and rebooted.
    Did the whole installation (no firewall, no Antivirus, Defender running), only mouse and keyboard connected, and got everything working again.
    This time I think it was obviously the same solution, plus let the beta setup the hardware.
    Let's see how long, because the issues started increasing before and then I experienced the complete blackouts and couldn't use the Rift S no more at all (just 5 sec maybe) 

I really hope you all find a solution too! I really know how frustrating this is. Or please, OCULUS, fix those damned USB issues! 

• ithil67ithil67 Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    I am in the same case that you black screen after several minutes of play and Steam too
  • ithil67ithil67 Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    I am in the same case that you black screen after several minutes of play and Steam too
  • GunderwuldeGunderwulde Posts: 4 Oculus Start Member
    @ithil67 I think your problem is something related to the USB power saving. Check this: https://venturebeat.com/2019/05/26/oculus-rift-s-how-to-fix-tracking-problems-and-blackouts/amp/
  • MAC_MAN86MAC_MAN86 Posts: 2,262
    Wintermute
    edited May 29
    CV1 OR RIFT S? (in case others get confused about this besides the OP on RIFT S)
    Your Monitor can either work best with DP>HDMI Adapter OR your CV1 can. Mine worked in both ways but only in one way for either a GTX970 or the opposite way for my GTX1080.
    RIFT is ONLY DP direct so Monitor takes another DP OR uses DP>HDMI Adapter.
    May need to clear any trace of last used slots so do a BOOT with just Monitor ONLY.
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,109 Valuable Player
    vikinuts said:
    FIX!

my system below if anyone has similar build and manages to fix please let me know.

16GB Corsair veng ram.

Try putting the headset USB into the 3.1 port of the motherboard instead of 3.0. I think there's a problem with the Rift S needing too much power and some USB hubs can't handle it.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
    NerveGear
    snowdog said:
    vikinuts said:
    FIX!

16GB Corsair veng ram.

Try putting the headset USB into the 3.1 port of the motherboard instead of 3.0. I think there's a problem with the Rift S needing too much power and some USB hubs can't handle it.
    was something i hadden't tried but sadly still nothing :(

audio works nice - green across the board for the software check and still no visuals :(

• GunderwuldeGunderwulde Posts: 4 Oculus Start Member
    I've been trying in 4 different PCs 2 desktop and 2 laptops, just 1 laptop works for me.

This is a mess.
    NerveGear
  • AwatieAwatie Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    edited September 1
    How to Turn on Camera or Webcam in Windows 10. 1: Firstly click on “Start” or the “Windows” icon in the lower left corner of your desktop. 2: From the Start screen choose “Settings”. 3: Now from the settings window, choose “Privacy”. 4: Inside the privacy section, from the left pane, click on “Camera”. 5: Now here you will see an option...
    OR

If you’re seeing a black screen while using your Rift S headset try these troubleshooting tips:

1. Disconnect and Reconnect your Rift S from your computer. To do this:
      • Unplug the USB cable from your computer..
      • Unplug the mini DisplayPort or DisplayPort cable from your computer.
      • First re-plug your USB cable into your computer.
      • Wait 5 seconds, or until the light on your headset comes on.
      • Re-plug your mini DisplayPort or DisplayPort cable into your computer.
    2. Unplug and Replug your Rift S headset. To do this:
      • Carefully remove the facial interface from your headset. This will allow you to access the cable.
      • Unplug the cable from the headset.
      • Wait 5 seconds.
      • Insert the cable back into your headset.
      • Insert the facial interface back into your headset.
    3. Restart your Oculus Service. To do this:
      • Open the Oculus app on your computer.
      • Click Settings on the left side of the app.
      • Click Beta at the top of the settings options.
      • Click Restart Oculus.

If you continue to encounter intermittent black screen issues after completing these troubleshooting steps, please contact Oculus Support directly.

NerveGear

If you’re seeing a black screen while using your Rift S headset try these troubleshooting tips:

• Carefully remove the facial interface from your headset. This will allow you to access the cable.
      • Wait 5 seconds.
      • Click Restart Oculus.

If you continue to encounter intermittent black screen issues after completing these troubleshooting steps, please contact Oculus Support directly.

NerveGear

• Wait 5 seconds.
      • Click Restart Oculus.