New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Extra Sensor Support for the Rift S

Im starting this thread as other people have had issues with close contact touch controller dead zones - As oculus has mentioned support for external sensors is possible, just there has to be demand for it.  

Comments

• MAC_MAN86MAC_MAN86 Posts: 2,262
    Wintermute
    The Demand for it is supposedly measured by Votes in UserVoice which never gets attention. The most ever Votes is for Strafe to be added in Home yet they ignore it!
  • xsrvaderxxsrvaderx Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    edited May 2019
    I have been using the original Rift for about two years now without major tracking problems.
    Since a few days I now also have the Rift S, but the tracking is not of the same level as the original Rift.
    The dead area immediately before the headset is terrible in many situations.
    If this cannot be 100% solved with software / firmware updates, the external sensors are required for a good experience.
  • antitrust42antitrust42 Posts: 115
    Art3mis
    i return my mine
  • SkScotcheggSkScotchegg Posts: 1,348
    Project 2501
    Another vote here to bring back Constellation tracking for the original sensors to be used with Rift S.

Many of my best game's don't work properly with Rift S Insight tracking due to dead spots near the headset causing freezing making it impossible for me to aim properly with Rifle+scopes in Onward/Pavlov/Contractors and also the same goes for bows in Archery games like In Death/Apex/Skyrim.
    UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!
  • KiwiphobicKiwiphobic Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Having the option to use the external sensors, in tandem with the inside out system, would solve/enhance tracking.  I haven't upgraded to the Rift S yet, this option would ease my mind to get one.  One vote from me.  
  • GATOxVoSGATOxVoS Posts: 440
    Trinity
    Sadly, I don't think Facebook/Oculus will implement additional sensors as it would be equivalent to them admitting that their Insight tracking system is flawed; it wouldn't look good to have one of the first inside-out tracking HMD's have to be propped-up by the very type of system it intended to leave behind. 

Facebook/Oculus will definitely try to mitigate the issues through software for a while before they consider bringing Constellation tracking into the equation. I just hope they have enough staff working on these issues so Rift S owners don't have to suffer the same beta/release timeline the CV1 owners had to (iirc, it took around 1.5 years from the launch of the CV1 to get to the stable tracking it has today). 

I support the development of inside-out tracking, and I know VR is still in its infancy... I just don't like the idea of this potentially being the second time Facebook/Oculus has made beta-testers out of their first-adopters.
    PC Specs:
    Intel i7-6700k @ 4.5 Ghz
    Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 3 Motherboard
    RTX 2080 Ti - MSI VENTUS
    16 GB CAS-10 RAM @ 2400 MHz
    Startech 4-port/4-USB controller add-on card
    850W Corsair HX850 PSU
    4-Sensor, Roomscale Setup
  • TelornTelorn Posts: 54
    Hiro Protagonist
    I'd love to be able to use my external sensors to improve my Rift S tracking. 

I feel it is no different than them selling the original rift with only 2 sensors but then saying for 'best' experience you should get 3. Same concept here. You can get by with inside out, but for best experience, we recommend getting an external sensor to compliment it.
  • OmegaM4NOmegaM4N Posts: 1,088
    Wintermute
    edited May 2019
    As far as i know the S does not have the infrared tracking dots embedded around the headset like the CV1, so it won't be able to use the CV1 sensors or any kind of external tracking sensors without the S headset being altered.
  • Sterling77Sterling77 Posts: 514
    Neo
    Great to see some input here !! the Rift S is tracking IR and produces IR to track - I think assistance is vital based on Deadzone feedback - its really hurting the Headset. Chop Chop !! 
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 8,010 Valuable Player
    Telorn said:
    to clarify we aren't talking about the headset. it can track itself just fine. It's the touch sensors, which do support the original sensors we want. And the inside out cameras aren't perfect for tracking the controllers. It would need camera(s) behind our head in the head band to achieve that.

I'm not particular bothered about having a camera at the back because most of the time you just grab things there and it seems to work for the limited amount of time you need to grab something behind you.

I think they should have had a camera underneath the headset though like they have on top because for First Person Shooters that's where it's vital to have constant tracking. I lose tracking when my controllers are below the front of the headset and that's exactly where my hand sits when holding a rifle about 5 inches or more below my chin.
  • OmegaM4NOmegaM4N Posts: 1,088
    Wintermute
    edited May 2019
    Telorn said:
    to clarify we aren't talking about the headset. it can track itself just fine. It's the touch sensors, which do support the original sensors we want. And the inside out cameras aren't perfect for tracking the controllers. It would need camera(s) behind our head in the head band to achieve that.
    So just for the controllers, hell why not, that would be quite a nice feature, being able to use the CV1 sensors to vastly improve VR tracking.......and Oculus might make a nice bit of cash from selling those to people without a CV1....yeah, sigh me up. ;)
  • pdhannemanpdhanneman Posts: 32
    Brain Burst
    I have a three sensor setup, and I always imagined that if Rift S were able to use extra sensors you'd be able to expand the playing field to multiple rooms.  For example by putting a sensor in each of three different rooms it would be able to read the IR controllers signaling you've entered, or are nearby, the room and adjust a guardian system accordingly.  How cool would that be to play Onward in three separate rooms without taking off your HMD?!!
    i7-8700K 3.7GHz Processor | Deepcool CAPTAIN 360EX WHITE RGB Liquid Cooler | ROG MAXIMUS X FORMULA Motherboard | G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32GB  DDR4-3200 Memory | FireCuda 2TB 7200RPM Hybrid HD | Barracuda 3TB 7200RPM HD | Barracuda 4TB 7200RPM HD | WD Black PCIe 256GB M.2-2280 SSD | GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB Video Card | Thermaltake - The Tower 900 Snow Edition Full Tower Case | EVGA SuperNOVA G2 1000W Power Supply | Two Divorces | One Bad Ass Credit Card Bill
  • jayhawkjayhawk Posts: 825
    3Jane
    If I were calling the shots at faceplant I wouldn't. It's basically saying inside-out isn't good enough. Not a good message. I wouldn't have released it the way it is either though.
    Neo
    Put it this way - not having extra sensor support is hurting the device sales - and noting that an issue is present should springboard a solution, I can see multiple posts relating to face deadzone. Oculus should be brisk about adding this type of support. 
  • TelornTelorn Posts: 54
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited June 2019
    basically their inside-out was the answer to only needing 2 sensors instead of 3. One in front and one in back. LUL

Which I would do if they added support.
    3Jane
    edited June 2019
    Put it this way - not having extra sensor support is hurting the device sales - and noting that an issue is present should springboard a solution, I can see multiple posts relating to face deadzone. Oculus should be brisk about adding this type of support. 
    Put it this way - having inside-out tracking issues is hurting device sales. Adding extra sensor support isn't fixing the main issue. The ones making the most noise about external sensor support should just go back to using their OG Rift IMO.
    Neo
    jayhawk said:
    Put it this way - having inside-out tracking issues is hurting device sales. Adding extra sensor support isn't fixing the main issue.
    Inside out tacking is the best way to go - USB throughput is minimal compared to three sensors, the issue discussed in this thread is about deadzone - what issue are you referring to ? It wouldn’t be hard to add support for extras sensors, 
    I doubt they will allow you to use external sensors for Rift S now. I've gone back to using CV1 and returned Rift S. I'll wait to see what happens in the future with Rift S, or I'll wait for Oculus Rift 2 and see if inside out has the improvements I'm looking for when it arrives.
    3Jane
    jayhawk said:
    Put it this way - having inside-out tracking issues is hurting device sales. Adding extra sensor support isn't fixing the main issue.
    Inside out tacking is the best way to go - USB throughput is minimal compared to three sensors, the issue discussed in this thread is about deadzone - what issue are you referring to ? It wouldn’t be hard to add support for extras sensors, 
    Gee I don't know. That's a tough one. If it didn't have any issues then why are you calling for external sensor support? smh.
  • CrashFuCrashFu Posts: 1,756 Valuable Player
    I disagree with the logic that they won't enable Hybrid Tracking "because it's like admitting that Insight is bad".  

By that logic, they wouldn't have included headphone jacks on any of the newer devices, because "That's admitting that the built-in audio system is bad".   Allowing for add-ons and use of supplemental tech isn't an admission of failure, it just makes your device more flexible, and gives it room to exceed its initial strengths and weaknesses.

And a $400 Rift-S plus one or two Rift sensors is still much, much cheaper than a Vive Pro or Valve Index, so..  even if people got the impression that Hybrid Tracking is necessary for the best experience, it's not going to hurt the device's reputation as The Best VR System For Anywhere Near Its Price.

I think most people will be happy just using Insight anyways, because it's the most convenient by itself, the quickest and easiest to set up, and needs only one USB port.  Hybrid Tracking would just give the people who aren't happy a solution   (that involves buying a sensor or two from Oculus; That's just more money for them!)  and they will be happier with the Rift-S overall.   And as the Insight software improves (and it will!)  maybe some of those people will start to go, "Oh, I don't even need the external sensor any more."

Better to roll that option out soon (or at least promise it )  than to have the Rift-S get stuck with a reputation of bad tracking.  Reputations stick; if people get that into their heads now, then they'll still be saying it even after the Insight software improves.

(For the record, I don't have many issues with Insight, personally.  I never had the usb bandwidth to ever do reliable 360-degree constellation tracking,  so for me Insight is already an improvement.   I might not even bother using hybrid tracking, if it's enabled.. but I still think it's a good idea to have that option.)
    It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.
  • umibozu83umibozu83 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    edited November 2019
    the viewer of the steam has a hybrid operation, in fact I saw that he sells 2 kits one with only the viewer and the controllers and another with the combined sensors. at the marketing level, making the sensors of the old rift work make it so that it cannot be resold, if I am the owner of the old rift and I update myself to the new rift I will certainly not deprive myself of the sensors and consequently a new user who wants to buy a viewer rift will be forced to buy it unused. I wanted to buy the rift but with these problems I buy another pair of sensors and I'm fine, complete coverage of the room at the minimum price. if in the future they will want to implement it well I already have the room ready for the upgrade. sorry for my bad english 
  • LazyTurtle17LazyTurtle17 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I believe that oculus should have promoted the use of internal tracking and that it would be advantageous due to the 360 cameras, though the use of sensors as well would have been a very good decision. the blind spots near the headset create issues for me, I recently installed a 3 camera room scale set up and I wanted to purchase the rift s for Christmas but now that all the set up I just finished a month ago is useless I don't feel like I should make the purchase. In my opinion, the lack of sensors is a mistake for the company and they will most likely lose potential clients such as me and a few of my friends in the same situation while also losing money.
  • SamuvelaSamuvela Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    I fully agree. We shouldn't (Along with first EVER vr players) deserve this inside out tracking when the CV1 Did it by itself. It Irratates me that this will never be a thing though
    edited December 2019
    I believe that oculus should have promoted the use of internal tracking and that it would be advantageous due to the 360 cameras, though the use of sensors as well would have been a very good decision. the blind spots near the headset create issues for me, I recently installed a 3 camera room scale set up and I wanted to purchase the rift s for Christmas but now that all the set up I just finished a month ago is useless I don't feel like I should make the purchase. In my opinion, the lack of sensors is a mistake for the company and they will most likely lose potential clients such as me and a few of my friends in the same situation while also losing money.

I'm a bit confused - You recently installed a 3 camera setup for room scale knowing the Rift S doesn't use external camera's? Or do you have a CV1 for these 3 camera's and that's why you installed them? Here some good advise if you have an Oculus CV1. Just don't get rid of it for a Rift S and pray it lasts until another decent VR headset comes along.
  • Xer0PixelXer0Pixel Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    The only reason I haven't upgraded yet is because of the lack of external sensor support... once they add that I will buy the new rift. External sensors get rid of those dead zones! 
  • SamuvelaSamuvela Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    Just bought a CV1, it is the same, just with another sensor.
  • ThmoasThmoas Posts: 353
    Trinity
    I had no issues with Rift S and think the tracking is fine. I came from a 4 sensor setup. Rift S is so much better.

The only reason that Rift S isn't adequqte is if you hold your hands behind your back for prolonged time and expect it to keep track of what you do behind your back. No taking arrows, storing a sword or a gun is not prolonged. This would be very niche movement I don't remember any game needing exept maybe advanced movement in Echo type games however I don't have issues in them.
  • dburnedburne Posts: 4,297 Valuable Player
    edited June 23
    I didn't have much trouble storing swords behind my shoulders in Asgard's Wrath with my Rift S. But yeah if I were to hang around back there with my hands a while I could see where I might.
    I have been quite pleased with the tracking on the Rift S. It was not so great when initially it came out, but Oculus made some nice improvements to it.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |