Oculus Quest ALVR/Virtual Desktop Streaming Guide - Not Perfect But pretty Awesome — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Oculus Quest ALVR/Virtual Desktop Streaming Guide - Not Perfect But pretty Awesome

Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,573 Valuable Player
edited July 18 in Oculus Quest
This is a revised first post. To take advantage of The Oculus Quest wireless capabilities and improved visuals streaming content from your PC to the headset is a viable option IF you have a decent 5Ghz wireless router and a wired PC connection. For the most part this can replace natively playing games on the Rift. It also means some games which release on the Quest like Sairento and Vader Immortal which are watered down to suit the hardware can be played using the PC version with superior visuals. I have played many games now like this and whilst there are some visual distortions at times the overall experience is on par with playing natively on the Rift. However this is largely dependant on your wireless connection and what interference you might have around you.

To get it working:

-Download the ALVR Alpha 4  using the instructions on this page - https://github.com/polygraphene/ALVR
- Alternatively you can install Virtual Desktop from the Oculus Store
-Then I used this app to side-load the ALVR Apk onto quest. You can also use it to install Virtual Desktop Streaming Apphttps://github.com/the-expanse/SideQuest
-Once up and running using ALVR I found the server would not connect to the quest properly so I had to disable windows firewall on my Private Network setting in Windows 10 there might be another workaround so you don't have to do this each time. You don't need to do this with Virtual Desktop App.
-Start ALVR or Virtual Desktop Streaming client on PC
-Make sure you up the resolution option to 150% in video settings in ALVR. You can edit settings in Virtual Desktop inside the Quest accordingly.
-Launch the ALVR/Virtual Desktop App on your Quest (ALVR us located in 'Unknown Sources' in Library).
-Once successfully connected ALVR will automatically launch Steam VR. Virtual Desktop you will need to launch Steam VR yourself. Once loaded you will enter Steam VR Home if you have that enabled. If not then hold the left TOUCH menu button and Steam Dash will load. You can then boot your games from there. Alternatively, you can boot apps and other games using Revive from the desktop.
-If you need to adjust the floor height just go to Steam VR settings and run the room tutorial - select Standing Room and follow the instructions from there or use Advance Settings Floor Fix in OVR if you have that enabled.

PLAY GAMES

Be aware that some games perform better than others and some games might need to have the ALVR resolution reduced back down to 100% to avoid stuttering. Also be mindful that games which require fast precise movements such as Beat Sabre might not be as effective due to the latency. I also find that games which present more confined spaces such as The Lab, or Job Sim, Sairento look better than those with longer draw distances. The decoder seems to have issues with longer draw-distances. 

Virtual Desktop seems to present a smoother playing experience with a slightly lower screen resolution. For some, this might be a worthy trade-off.  Virtual Desktop also has better controller compatibility. This means some games that don't work so well on ALVR will run much better.

EXTRAS:

-In some games where there is a longer draw distance like Skyrim VR or Fallout 4 VR, The Forest you might see lots of blur and fogginess. You can increase the Bitrate and Buffer Size in ALVR. I set mine to 50Mbps instead of the default 30 and 500Kb Buffer instead of the default 200Kb. This improved the visual artefacts quite a bit for me but might not eliminate the compression artefacts fully.

-Additionally if your PC is powerful enough you can increase the Super-Sampling in Steam VR/ Oculus Tray Tool for each game for even better visuals.

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.

Comments

• FlakMagnetFlakMagnet Posts: 169
    Art3mis
    edited May 29
    I wouldn't be surprised if someone is currently working on a USB version of this. I know it would tether the Quest to the PC, but the quality should be excellent with very little latency. That would be perfect for sims and anything else that doesn't require  you to thrash about like a lunatic :)
  • Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,573 Valuable Player
    edited May 29
    OK peeps wired the PC using Ethernet and wireless to Quest. I haven't really messed with any supersampling in Steam VR so I assume I can get the basic visuals better. I'm pretty blown away. They weren't wrong. This is friggin awesome.  Due to my Pimax 8K not having any motion controllers yet I have just been playing gamepad games for now. However with the Quest I can bust out some old favourites and golly gosh they actually work very well.

The Lab looks and plays pretty much the same I played castle defense and the space shooting game (forgets the name)  without any issues at all, Space Pirate Trainer looks as good as the Quest version so screw that non-cross buy if you bought the game via Steam. Really impressed so far, wired is the way to go here. Google Earth plays well. I can see why Oculus don't want to develop this themselves just yet. It's too good and will lose sales of games for developers. I played a bit of Skyrim VR which worked great but looked like pants for some reason. The settings must be all messed up. 

The only negative so far is you get these drops every so often where the screen goes  alittle fuzzy for a few moments, then it corrects itself. 

If you haven't tried this then you really need to. Now all I need to work out is how much SS I can push to improve the visuals.

• DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 4,794 Volunteer Moderator

I need to try this.

@trankiiilty mentioned in another thread that your PC needs to be wired for a good experience with ALVR as wifi is half duplex (so thanks for that pointer).

I'll need to get a decent set of powerline sockets as my last set buzzed like crazy.

Intel 5820K OC@4Ghz, Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18362.239)
    edited May 29
    Oh you do, it's simply an incredible feat to be playing these games on the Quest wire free without all the kerfuffle of wireless adapters etc. For the record my download speed at the moment is like 165.90 mbps and upload 172.56 so it handles it very well. I can't wait to hear some more impressions from people here. But it has to be stated wireless PC to wireless Quest isn't the right way to do this. I can say this now in hindsight.

Another tip. If your connection and hardware can handle it. Massive improvement in visuals bumping up the SS option in ALVR to 150%. Now we're talking! A little less stable but certainly worth it.

• atkinsonlineatkinsonline Posts: 66
    Hiro Protagonist

I need to try this.

@trankiiilty mentioned in another thread that your PC needs to be wired for a good experience with ALVR as wifi is half duplex (so thanks for that pointer).

I'll need to get a decent set of powerline sockets as my last set buzzed like crazy.

Are the powerlines to connect your PC to your wireless router? I assume that’s what you’re saying. 
  • babybasherbabybasher Posts: 53
    Hiro Protagonist
    Oh you do, it's simply an incredible feat to be playing these games on the Quest wire free without all the kerfuffle of wireless adapters etc. For the record my download speed at the moment is like 165.90 mbps and upload 172.56 so it handles it very well. I can't wait to hear some more impressions from people here. But it has to be stated wireless PC to wireless Quest isn't the right way to do this. I can say this now in hindsight.

Another tip. If your connection and hardware can handle it. Massive improvement in visuals bumping up the SS option in ALVR to 150%. Now we're talking! A little less stable but certainly worth it.
    I recently played around with ALVR too.  I see you started off with wireless in your PC.  5Ghz comes at all sorts of speeds.  What router are you using, and what wireless card in your computer?  The latency you mentioned is about what I get too.

I have an AC2900 speed router.  My computers wifi card is AC1750 rated and connects to the router at 1300Mbps speeds (Quest connects at 780-866Mbps).  I don't think I've run into any streaming issues, or Im just too forgiving atm,  Seems solid as.  Did connecting your PC with ethernet make a considerable difference for you?  My only issues with it are the controller issues in apps. ie, rec room the angle of guns is wrong (I've heard thats a problem in other apps too).

I need to try this.

Are the powerlines to connect your PC to your wireless router? I assume that’s what you’re saying. 
    Yep, router has to be in the living room where the phone master socket is. PC is in my study so I used to use powerlines for wired LAN between the two but wifi has improved over the last few years (and included on motherboards these days) so that's been good enough.

If wifi is half-duplex though (should that be simplex?) then wired is the way to go for ALVR. I had a pair of expensive and highly recommended adaptors previously but after 12 months or so they started buzzing noticeably so hopefully they've improved since then.
    Intel 5820K OC@4Ghz, Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18362.239)
    I ditched the mobo in-built wifi and tried a USB version which fared better. However, the switch to wired made all the difference. I can't stress that enough. Wireless no matter how the reported speed limits will usually suffer from interference. Because the Quest is wifi as well you want to limit that as much as possible.

Was playing RAW Data. Batman Arkham VR, Apex Construct all working very well. Yes the controller orientation can be off, but I think there are ways to change this. I've just suffered it though.

• atkinsonlineatkinsonline Posts: 66
    Hiro Protagonist

I need to try this.

Yep, router has to be in the living room where the phone master socket is. PC is in my study so I used to use powerlines for wired LAN between the two but wifi has improved over the last few years (and included on motherboards these days) so that's been good enough.

I'm in the same situation and used to use powerlines. I tried a few with variable results.  I work from home so need something reliable and fast. Eventually, I bit the bullet and had cat 6 cable fitted from ground floor to top floor where the PC sits and I usually use VR.  Made an amazing difference to the speed and is totally reliable. 

I need to try this.

I'm in the same situation and used to use powerlines. I tried a few with variable results.  I work from home so need something reliable and fast. Eventually, I bit the bullet and had cat 6 cable fitted from ground floor to top floor where the PC sits and I usually use VR.  Made an amazing difference to the speed and is totally reliable. 

I'm very tempted to do the same, my wifi is super reliable, I haven't had a disconnection between router and PC this year and I'm getting download speeds at the PC of 76 meg which is just fractionally slower than my ISP's speed at the router for the plan that I'm on.

But, yeah, you just can't beat a cable connection compared to powerline, that tech never seemed to deliver as advertised, for me at least.

edited May 30
    You might never get a wireless disconnect DD but it's the quality of the connection that affects here regardless of your max up and dl speeds. The packet losses and speed drops impact greatly how things appear on the Quest so having the consistency of a wired connection offers a smoother experience. The wired was temporary for me, but now I've secured it under the floor boards so it's permanent. I can see me using ALVR/Quest now quite a bit. Plus my PC is a happier bunny now downloading and uploading my sh1t.

:o 

edited May 30
    You might never get a wireless disconnect DD but it's the quality of the connection that affects here regardless of your max up and dl speeds. The packet losses and speed drops impact greatly how things appear on the Quest so having the consistency of a wired connection offers a smoother experience. The wired was temporary for me, but now I've secured it under the floor boards so it's permanent. I can see me using ALVR/Quest now quite a bit. Plus my PC is a happier bunny now downloading and uploading my sh1t.

:o 

Yes that's right, as I said, wifi is half-duplex so, unless I'm misunderstanding it, ALVR is always going to be half-speed when 2 devices are connected to each other via your wifi, as opposed to each device connected via your wifi to internet servers for example.
  • AwsedrftgAwsedrftg Posts: 14
    NerveGear
    Wow! My quest suddenly feels way more expensive! 
  • ReBornTheFirstReBornTheFirst Posts: 10
    NerveGear
    edited May 31
    It's so strange to use the quest as a wireless headset. I played assetto corsa and project cars for about 2 hours with the quest over alvr and the higher resolution makes such a difference compared to the rift.
    I'm using a 5GHz network which is showing up as a 400mbit connection on my router. The stream set to 60Mbit/x264 and I didn't notice any problems or streaming artifacts. But the audio streaming is unusable... Just crackling noises :(
  • Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 4,790 Valuable Player
    Have you also tried Riftcat @Shadowmask72 ?  

Or has anybody tried this one and Riftcat?  

Which is better?
  • ReBornTheFirstReBornTheFirst Posts: 10
    NerveGear
    Also tried riftcat. Alvr does a much better job. Riftcat has issues with the quest controller button mapping and the stream is just freezing from time to time or is just a pixel mess. 
  • Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 4,790 Valuable Player
    Thanks.  Yeah i noticed those things but put it down to my router and "early days".
  • Comrade_IvanComrade_Ivan Posts: 26
    Brain Burst
    I just can't seem to get the results that everyone else seems to be talking about. I got all the required gear (and beyond), perfect line-of-sight with my router, but regardless of the config of ALVR I just can't get the butter-smooth experience. I jet jarring drops, lag and weird pixelation that crops up every once in a while. Is everyone else smoking something or am I missing something?
    Mind you, I'm surrounded with about a dozen 5G routers - people in my building, peeps across the street from me, etc. I'm wondering if that may have something to do with it.
    Lol, I'd easily drop hundred bucks right now to get a solid wired solution for my Quest. The optics are totally worth it!
  • MrCr0aMrCr0a Posts: 11
    NerveGear
    Is there a fix for the pixelisation that happens every few minutes or so ? Seems to be a software issue cause it happens frequently at the same interval of time.
  • forestguyforestguy Posts: 167
    Art3mis
    OK peeps wired the PC using Ethernet and wireless to Quest. I haven't really messed with any supersampling in Steam VR so I assume I can get the basic visuals better. I'm pretty blown away. They weren't wrong. This is friggin awesome.  Due to my Pimax 8K not having any motion controllers yet I have just been playing gamepad games for now. However with the Quest I can bust out some old favourites and golly gosh they actually work very well.

The Lab looks and plays pretty much the same I played castle defense and the space shooting game (forgets the name)  without any issues at all, Space Pirate Trainer looks as good as the Quest version so screw that non-cross buy if you bought the game via Steam. Really impressed so far, wired is the way to go here. Google Earth plays well. I can see why Oculus don't want to develop this themselves just yet. It's too good and will lose sales of games for developers. I played a bit of Skyrim VR which worked great but looked like pants for some reason. The settings must be all messed up. 

The only negative so far is you get these drops every so often where the screen goes  alittle fuzzy for a few moments, then it corrects itself. 

If you haven't tried this then you really need to. Now all I need to work out is how much SS I can push to improve the visuals.

Tried the Quest with ALVR yesterday and have to say it surprised me how great this is. Another big recommendation here B)
  • VRBabe14VRBabe14 Posts: 127
    Art3mis
    edited June 13
    It's so strange to use the quest as a wireless headset. I played assetto corsa and project cars for about 2 hours with the quest over alvr and the higher resolution makes such a difference compared to the rift.
    I'm using a 5GHz network which is showing up as a 400mbit connection on my router. The stream set to 60Mbit/x264 and I didn't notice any problems or streaming artifacts. But the audio streaming is unusable... Just crackling noises :(
    Are you using a pc ffb wheel too? If so then dirt rally here I come 😂
    Oculus Quest Status:
    RECEIVED Tues, May 21 2019 12:01 PM GMT

Oculus Rift & Touch Bundle Status:
    RECEIVED Thurs, Sept 07 2017 2:38 PM GMT

Oculus Rift DK2
  • forestguyforestguy Posts: 167
    Art3mis
    edited June 14
    I use my PC for the Audio that is recommended for now, remember ALVR is still in Alpha.
  • FailrunnerFailrunner Posts: 186
    Art3mis
    I am an Oculus employee. You are to remove this thread because it is dangerous to our headset. If you do not comply we will send dirty thumbs Joe to bust your knee caps. That is all. 😡
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,260 Valuable Player
    Does this mean it's over for PC streaming to the Rift Quest? Just when I was looking at getting one too.

• VRBabe14VRBabe14 Posts: 127
    Art3mis
    I don't want to turn on developer mode because then you have to use adb commands to transfer movies to the quest and I've also heard that auto updates for oculus build doesn't work too. Well my quest hasn't even been updated yet and I haven't even activated developer mode.
    Oculus Quest Status:
    RECEIVED Tues, May 21 2019 12:01 PM GMT

Oculus Rift & Touch Bundle Status:
    RECEIVED Thurs, Sept 07 2017 2:38 PM GMT

Oculus Rift DK2
  • SnusprestenSnuspresten Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    edited June 22
    If anyone could enlighten me, in regards to VRBabe14's comment.

Should you not be able to use both adb and explorer to transfer files when devmode is on? I would guess that dev mode only opened up-added more features. Seems counter intuitive that it would remove features. Would genuinely like to know =)

I only transferred with my mac prior to setting up alvr and dev mode on pc. ALVR gets artifacts every 5-10th second. Floor 1 - Snuspresten 0. 
    No audio issues with me. Plays fine over the headset and through TV speakers. Dev mode file transfer works fine with windows explorer.

Just changed the OP to a better guide now. Added some more bits as well. I can swear by this now, so easy to use and play. It's really working  very well now for me even with Fallout 4 VR. I had great fun playing that last night. Yes, there are still some visual distortions/blur and packet drops that cause a fuzzy screen for a few seconds but not as bad as before I tweaked the ALVR settings and not nearly enough to write-off using it. Sairento VR launched on Quest yesterday as a complete watered down version of the original, but streaming the PC game is superior in every way and no need to buy the game again even if it's £10.99.

Another update. I just purchased Virtual Desktop on the Quest. This offers a smoother experience, better controller compatibility and the option to run games that didn't work so well on ALVR  (obviously costs more though, £15 versus Free) but has slightly less clarity than ALVR. I also don't have to disable windows firewall using Virtual Desktop each time I want to use it. Overall you pay for what you get and so far VD edges out ahead despite not being as crisp. Although it's very close. VD developer seems to be more active than the ALVR dude.

• SpuzzumSpuzzum Posts: 307
    Trinity
    edited July 9
    I just got this going last night for both platforms. Took me a while to figure out I needed to disable the firewall for ALVR. But seeing as all my games are from the Oculus store, except for Gorn...as the Steam store had it first, I was having severe head tracking issues and couldn't figure out why. I then tried Gorn from my Steam library...it ran as smooth as silk. I then went back to Oculus titles through Revive, and it turned out the head tracking issue was really only in the 1 game I tried...Shooty Fruity. Space Pirate Trainer was just as smooth as Gorn through my Steam library. I guess some games work, and some have issues still(?). Either that, or I need to disable Oculus Tray Tool, and let SteamVR handle all the settings.

One thing that did come to mind though...if using the Quest through SteamVR on the pc is even possible, then I'm wondering if we couldn't use the OpenVR Input Emulator to use either Vive wands or Valve Knuckles and lighthouses for better controller tracking? We can use SteamVR capable controllers and lighthouses with WMR headsets, and even use Vive trackers with the Rift, so technically it should be possible. It just needs the headset to communicate with the controllers. I'd try with my Rift and Touch OG controllers, but the Rift goes to sleep after about 10 minutes, even with the proximity sensor turned off. If you jiggle or even flick the headset with your finger every few minutes though, it stays awake. It only falls asleep if it's completely still. I'm going to get a cheap oscillating fan from a thrift store, then hang the Rift on the front of the cage...see if that works. :P