Are grainy images normal? — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Are grainy images normal?

BarkomaticBarkomatic Posts: 2
NerveGear
I got my Oculus Quest on launch day and I mostly love it but since this is my first VR headset I'm not certain what is normal to expect for screen quality.  When using it, the resolution seems poor compared to TV's and other game systems I've used.  There are sometimes jagged edges and images are grainy.  If this is normal, it's definitely not a deal breaker for me--I know VR is still a developing technology and the Quest has a mobile chip. It's just the game play images I've seen seem sharper and I've adjusted the straps on my Quest to the point where I can get it any clearer. 

If this is normal, just out of curiosity are there any PC headsets on the market that look more clear like the upcoming Valve Index?

Comments

• RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,399 Valuable Player
    Yes, it's normal. 
  • BarkomaticBarkomatic Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Thanks!
  • h.r.gargih.r.gargi Posts: 59
    Hiro Protagonist
    I guess you see the screendoor effect. Absolutely normal. 
  • DreaglegDreagleg Posts: 43
    Brain Burst
    edited May 29
    Yeah I'm new to VR too and had the same experience as you. In this post HD era where have 4 and even 8k TVs I was expecting pin sharp visuals, but we've got to remember VR is still a fairly new tech in those terms, so it might be a few iterations till we have something as sharp as we're used to. 

It's noticeable, but not a deal breaker. Loving the Quest so far.
  • SchizoidLoserSchizoidLoser Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    Dreagleg said:
    Yeah I'm new to VR too and had the same experience as you. In this post HD era where have 4 and even 8k TVs I was expecting pin sharp visuals, but we've got to remember VR is still a fairly new tech in those terms, so it might be a few iterations till we have something as sharp as we're used to. 

It's noticeable, but not a deal breaker. Loving the Quest so far.
    put your face 1 inch from your hdtv and you will see each pixel just like in the quest
  • DreaglegDreagleg Posts: 43
    Brain Burst
    I'll try that, as soon as I find a headstrap.