Rift S and Rift 1.38 PTC Release Notes — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Rift S and Rift 1.38 PTC Release Notes

OculusSupportOculusSupport Posts: 329 Oculus Staff
Oculus Home:
  • You can now rename your Homes! In the details page for any of your own Homes, there is now an edit icon next to the Home name that will bring up a VR keyboard. Express yourself with a brand new Home name that will be reflected in recommendations, gateways, and friends' Places lists.
  • We've made it easier to manage items. You can now easily relocate items directly from the inventory menu to move or reposition them. We've also reduced download sizes for faster item delivery.
  • We've polished up the presentation of Homes in our menus to be much faster and more intuitive.
Rift S:
  • Updated audio driver to improve Rift S audio quality.
  • Updated firmware to reduce occurrence of display issues.

If you're using Oculus Rift S and experiencing black screen and/or cable enumeration issues, please try opting into the latest PTC (https://support.oculus.com/200468603765391/) build of the Oculus software. We've included updates that should help.

As always, if you encounter any issues with this software release, please be sure to report them using the Help Center > Provide Feedback option within the Oculus desktop software. If you have any feature requests or suggestions to make the Oculus software even better, please head over to our UserVoice page to share your feedback. Thanks for your continued help!

Comments

• ShocksOculusShocksOculus Posts: 402
    Trinity
    Thank you! 

And just so ppl don't freak out like I did, you'll be prompted for 2 firmware updates.  It'll update your headset first, then prompt you to update the firmware of your controllers.
    i7-7700k, GTX 1080Ti (11G) || MSI B150m (1 USB controller) + Inateck 4-port USB to PCIe (2nd USB controller)
    Oculus Rift S
    Oculus GO
    Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale
  • ChaossChaoss Posts: 250
    Art3mis
    edited May 30
    Edited: This update seems to make the headphones on the OG Rift less reliable
    "In the future we will be designing dreams, worlds & experiences rather than games."
  • Comic_Book_GuyComic_Book_Guy Posts: 1,195
    3Jane
    edited May 29
    nvm. Darn beta..look forward to release.
  • abydosanabydosan Posts: 20
    Brain Burst
    edited May 29
    Update done. I went to Beat Saber the sound is better. Not a HQ Hi-Fi, just a mobile phone speaker fine. After one game I went to play Onward. During the start I got a blackscreen super fast. The loud sounds still make blackscreens.
    Trinity
    abydosan said:
    Update done. I went to Beat Saber the sound is better. Not a HQ Hi-Fi, just a mobile phone speaker fine. After one game I went to play Onward. During the start I got a blackscreen super fast.
    Steam or Oculus home games?
    I think to help with trouble shooting, we need to specify which store we're tryign to play from that's giving us issues.

For me, I still have some occasional isses with STEAMVR games crashing on my S.  I'm guessing this will be addressed with a STEAM update.
    i7-7700k, GTX 1080Ti (11G) || MSI B150m (1 USB controller) + Inateck 4-port USB to PCIe (2nd USB controller)
    Oculus Rift S
    Oculus GO
  • abydosanabydosan Posts: 20
    Brain Burst
    @ShocksOculus
    Thank you but I think the problem is the loud sounds. For example if I use headphone in Contractors I don't have any problem. But if I use the in strap audio and I shoot my loud pistol baang black screen.
    I met this problem many other games like Knockout Leage (if you hit somebody, the loud sound kill the headset) etc.

But answering your question: SteamVR version :D
  • nickyb78nickyb78 Posts: 21
    Brain Burst
    Still getting static flash. Update hasnt helped that problem. What is cable enumeration,? Is their a problem with the cables?
    3Jane
    Well, can tell ya there's still the white flash on this beta update, and the change to audio quality may as well be no change because same diff.
  • RG4520RG4520 Posts: 18
    NerveGear
    I can also verify the white flash is still here. I put in a ticket on day one and they still haven't addressed this at all. Not even a "hey it's flashing because". I really, really don't want to return it, but it's very distracting and immersion breaking for me. And also the lack of communication is putting serious strain on my trust and loyalty in them.
    Trinity
    edited May 29
    You can also provide feedback through the Oculus Home app, it auto attaches logs and everything: https://i.imgur.com/xN1sXGi.png

Oculus has been public about looking into the issues, but we don't necessarily need daily briefings on their progress.
    Oculus Rift S
    Oculus GO
    3Jane
    We don't need daily briefings but how about ONE? They are mass producing a $500 HMD and all they do is give you copy pasta trouble shooting, and a beta update that does screw all.
  • OrkelOrkel Posts: 105
    Art3mis
    edited May 29
    After 2 hours of testing in H3VR and VRchat:
    -Static flashes still appear. Got approx 3 of them during the 2 hour period. Less often than before (previously it was 1 every few minutes),but they still happen.
    -Controller tracking has no improvements (left controller still loses tracking randomly and freezes in midair for 1-3 seconds, only the left controller specifically). Close-up tracking with 2 handed rifles still glitchy, making VRFPS games unplayable.
    -Never had blackscreens myself so cannot comment on this part of the fix
    -Audio is still inferior to headphones unsurprisingly, but there is a slight improvement overall
  • RG4520RG4520 Posts: 18
    NerveGear
    Exactly what I'm trying to say Comic_Book_Guy.  These headsets have a return window that's now (for me at least) one quarter gone. Oculus and Facebook had years to gear up for this launch and put resources into place to deal with the inevitable slam of problem tickets and such. All I've received from them is the "turn it off and on" form letter, and then....nothing. In 8 days. Just speaking for myself, that's unacceptable from a company of their size and with the resources at their disposal. You're welcome to disagree obviously, and I'm not suggesting gathering outside of Oculus HQ with pitchforks and torches, but I expect more from a multi billion dollar company launching it's next iteration of products. 
  • dburnedburne Posts: 2,532 Valuable Player
    Ah man, I was so hopeful this update along with new firmware would fix the black screen issue that has been plaguing me.
    Denied - same issue remains on my end.
    Will keep working with support through my support ticket.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case|
  • kittinzaakittinzaa Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    update take forever it stuck at updating screen....
  • RT2RT2 Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    edited May 29
    This update made my Rift S unusable because it's not recognized anymore by the Oculus App. Also the controllers keep blinking and rumbling by intermittence, even if I close the Oculus app. I tried it twice and got the same result each time. Thankfully I was able to downgrade it to the previous version by opting out from the beta.

Oculus has been public about looking into the issues, but we don't necessarily need daily briefings on their progress.
    "but ---> I <--- don't necessarily need daily briefings on their progress.". Please don't speak for everyone because for many of us, the Rift S is a huge disappointment and the lack of communication about this is a real problem.

For example, and from what I read, loud sounds make the headset crash because the single USB cable can't provide enough power for everything to works at full load. It looks like it's an hardware issue, and because of this, it may never be fixed no matter how many time they update the firmware. I may be wrong about this (and I really hope I am), but who knows? Only Oculus, and their silence about this is worrying.

I still have 8 days left to return my headset, and if by this time I'm still completely unsure of their ability to fix everything with software updates, I will be forced to return it because keeping a flawed 400$ device (450€ in my country -_-) which may never be fully working is not a viable option.
    Trinity
    edited May 29
    @RT2 If you all are worried about your return window then return the S and buy again when the issues are worked out.

Oculus support already stated last week they were looking into the issues and were working on a firmware update (which they released today).  It looks like the firmware still wasn't enough. So perhaps use the "Feedback" option and stay in contact with Oculus Support.

But if you can;t do that then be an adult and refund the S. My S works just fine (love it btw), but if I were having your guy's issues I would have refunded it long ago. . . .
    Oculus Rift S
    Oculus GO
  • sraurasraura Posts: 589
    Trinity
    edited May 29
    There is always solution of getting usb hub which has external power supply. They don't cost much. However personally I don't have power shortage issues even Rift S is connected directly to computers usb port. Might be that some people have computers which lack on power supply front.
  • BananaroBananaro Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    I had the problem that the screen remains black and have to unplug and replug the displayport to make it work. Once started it works flawlessy until pc restart.
    I can report that this update FIXED MY PROBLEM.

• dburnedburne Posts: 2,532 Valuable Player
    edited May 29
    Bananaro said:
    I had the problem that the screen remains black and have to unplug and replug the displayport to make it work. Once started it works flawlessy until pc restart.

Oh man that is the same issue that has plagued me for 9 days now.
    I sure wish it had fixed it for me - congrats on your end!
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case|
    NerveGear
    Orkel said:

-Controller tracking has no improvements (left controller still loses tracking randomly and freezes in midair for 1-3 seconds, only the left controller specifically).

Maybe it's the battery loosing contact?
    NerveGear
    dburne said:
    Bananaro said:

Oh man that is the same issue that has plagued me for 9 days now.
    I sure wish it had fixed it for me - congrats on your end!
    the other thing i did in the last days was to update the displayport with the nvidia displayport update tool.

• CrashFuCrashFu Posts: 1,756 Valuable Player
    RT2 said:
    For example, and from what I read, loud sounds make the headset crash because the single USB cable can't provide enough power for everything to works at full load. It looks like it's an hardware issue, and because of this, it may never be fixed no matter how many time they update the firmware. I may be wrong about this (and I really hope I am), but who knows? Only Oculus, and their silence about this is worrying.

I still have 8 days left to return my headset, and if by this time I'm still completely unsure of their ability to fix everything with software updates, I will be forced to return it because keeping a flawed 400$ device (450€ in my country -_-) which may never be fully working is not a viable option.
    If that was the case, everyone would be experiencing this headset crash, and not just a small number of users.  And they certainly wouldn't have shipped the device if it had such an obvious problem. 

It's very likely that the problem is on your end, not the headset itself;  Have you tried using different USB ports, making sure your USB hub drivers are up-to-date, and disabling automatic USB-power-saving?  Also try unplugging unnecessary devices from other USB ports, which may be sharing bandwidth with the one you have Rift-S in.   It could also just be a loose headset cable;  try unplugging it where it connects to the headset itself (you'll have to lift off the facial interface) and then reattaching it firmly, until you hear a click.  I would also try disabling any unnecessary features in your graphics card software, in case they're conflicting with the headset's software.

If none of that makes a difference, then you might just have a defective unit.  These things happen, especially in the early batches of a brand new product.
    It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.
    3Jane
    What exactly does it do?? 
    NerveGear
    But if you can;t do that then be an adult and refund the S.
    Or you may try that and leave puerile remarks like this out of this conversation. You said it yourself, your Rift S is working fine, go enjoy it instead of not helping me.

There is always solution of getting usb hub which has external power supply. They don't cost much. However personally I don't have power shortage issues even Rift S is connected directly to computers usb port. Might be that some people have computers which lack on power supply front.
    I have a professional setup with more than 17 USB ports (all 3.0 or 3.1), some from the motherboard, some from self powered PCI-E cards, and my old Rift was working fine, never had a single crash. If the Rift S required a specific kind of USB ports to work, it should have been specified.
    NerveGear
    edited May 29
    It's very likely that the problem is on your end, not the headset itself;  Have you tried using different USB ports, making sure your USB hub drivers are up-to-date, and disabling automatic USB-power-saving?  Also try unplugging unnecessary devices from other USB ports, which may be sharing bandwidth with the one you have Rift-S in.
    Thanks for the suggestions, but unfortunately I already tried everything. But I don't have random crashes, it only happen with loud sounds, like shooting shotguns in Pavlov VR with the volume set at 100% on the built-in earphones. I thought it was a very widespread issue but maybe I was wrong? So, should I consider my headset defective and ask for a replacement, or is it a software issue, and should I wait for a patch?
  • KyoshiVRCKyoshiVRC Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    Hey all - quick clarification on the white / static issue some of you are reporting. The firmware released as part of today's PTC update is not expected to fix that known issue. The team is still investigating and working to resolve as quickly as possible. If you've run through the troubleshooting steps on this support article (which it seems like many of you have) and you're still experiencing issues, we kindly ask for your continued patience while the team works on further firmware updates. Sorry for the confusion and apologies for the inconvenience.
    Thank you for the heads up. The random static is annoying but at least it's not too game-breaking. I'll continue to wait for an update from you guys.
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 1,171
    Wintermute
    Ya, same here.  Just the odd flash and controllers without battery covers are not a deal breaker for me so far.  I'll pass on this PTC for now.

Alienware 17r4 laptop, 7700hq 2.8/3.6 ghz, 32gb ram, 250gb ssd, 1tb hd, gtx1060 w/6gb ram, Oculus Rift VR, Now with Alienware Graphics Amplifier w/gtx1080ti and Asus VG248QE external monitor. 

Now moved onto a custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled), gtx 1080 ti (from my AGA), 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card.