New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Rift S and Rift 1.38 PTC Release Notes

Comments

• ShocksVRShocksVR Posts: 486
    Trinity
    Seems like tracking is more robust in today's update
    i7-7700k, GTX 1080Ti (11G) || MSI B150m (1 USB controller) + Inateck 4-port USB to PCIe (2nd USB controller)
    Oculus Rift S
    Oculus GO
    Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale
  • dburnedburne Posts: 3,523 Valuable Player
    Seems like tracking is more robust in today's update
    That would be nice.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • MAC_MAN86MAC_MAN86 Posts: 2,262
    Wintermute
    edited June 2019
    You know that White LED on the Controllers? Well wouldn't it have been more useful if it was an IR LED to help tracking instead. Bloody Obvious but hey...hindsight is a wonder :p
    MAC_MAN86 said:
    You know that White LED on the Controllers? Well wouldn't it have been more useful if it was an IR LED to help tracking instead. Bloody Obvious but hey...hindsight is a wonder :p
    Considering it's location on the controllers might not have been much good for tracking.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
    Wintermute
    edited June 2019
    It can be. You just make the plastic transparent to IR or the outside plastic is a carrier of IR by shining it into it's edge. If you shine a light source along a plastic the light spreads across it. Then it can track in Darkness.
  • RichooalRichooal Posts: 1,609 Valuable Player
    There are lots of Rift S users in this thread with issues spanning both 1.37 and 1.38 PTC.

I'm just wondering if any "original" Rift users are experiencing any problems with 1.38 PTC. I opted out of PTC a while back due to my limited data allowance.
    i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Senors - 0 PROBLEMS 1 minor problem
    Dear Oculus, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it", please.

• TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 2,144 Valuable Player
    Richooal said:
    There are lots of Rift S users in this thread with issues spanning both 1.37 and 1.38 PTC.

I'm just wondering if any "original" Rift users are experiencing any problems with 1.38 PTC. I opted out of PTC a while back due to my limited data allowance.
    When I switched back to my original Rift cv1 plus 2x sensors from my Rift S (which was on 1.38ptc at the time) I found it a little unstable so I did a Repair which took me back to 1.37.1.  I also needed to redo my cv1 setup (no big deal).

This has worked very well for me so I have not opted into the PTC since it seems mainly directed at the Rift S right now.  So, if you have the original cv1 I would not bother opting into the PTC for now imho.

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti, 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro w/2.0 base stations/controllers, Quest w/Link and VD wireless (good/close 5Ghz wifi and PC with Ethernet cable to my Router).

• RichooalRichooal Posts: 1,609 Valuable Player
    TomCgcmfc said:
    Richooal said:

When I switched back to my original Rift cv1 plus 2x sensors from my Rift S (which was on 1.38ptc at the time) I found it a little unstable so I did a Repair which took me back to 1.37.1.  I also needed to redo my cv1 setup (no big deal).

This has worked very well for me so I have not opted into the PTC since it seems mainly directed at the Rift S right now.  So, if you have the original cv1 I would not bother opting into the PTC for now imho.

Thanks Tom, I wasn't considering going back into the PTC. I was just concerned that 1.38 may become public before the problems are fixed and that they may carry through to my Rift.
    i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Senors - 0 PROBLEMS 1 minor problem
    Dear Oculus, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it", please.

Richooal said:
    TomCgcmfc said:
    Richooal said:

Thanks Tom, I wasn't considering going back into the PTC. I was just concerned that 1.38 may become public before the problems are fixed and that they may carry through to my Rift.
    Ya, I agree with ya but I would not be too worried because the cv1 (and its controllers/sensors) and Rift S (and its controllers) all have diff firmware and I doubt we'll see much change with our cv1's firmware.  Also, I'd guess (but don't really know) that 1.38 is going to be in PTC mode for quite a while in order to iron out a few Rift S bugs.

What I was getting at, is because most 1.38ptc updates seem to be Rift S related it's probably a waste of downloads/updating being on the PTC for now if you currently are only using a cv1.  BTW, I'm soooo happy to be back to my good old reliable  cv1.  Although I do kinda miss the improved clarity and comfort of the Rift S.

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti, 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro w/2.0 base stations/controllers, Quest w/Link and VD wireless (good/close 5Ghz wifi and PC with Ethernet cable to my Router).

• JDenisBJDenisB Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    After 6 days of use, got some problems here too... Hope these will be fix soon..
    - sound crackling
    - white flash
    - lose tracking(left touch)
    - black screen
    Do i need to return my rift or waiting for update?
  • sraurasraura Posts: 590
    Trinity
    I finally solved my issues with white flashes. If you have Intel chipset on your motherboard, you might want to check this out: https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/comment/687978/#Comment_687978
  • Crazy-CanuckCrazy-Canuck Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    Updated my Rift CV1 today, June 11, and while in the cockpit or watching an Oculus app head tracking is stuck when turning left, turning right works as it should.  In Digital Combat Simulations eventually will cause video card to crash.  Anyway to roll back the recent update?  Hopefully a fix is coming asap.  I see others are having similar issues.
    Updated my Rift CV1 today, June 11, and while in the cockpit or watching an Oculus app head tracking is stuck when turning left, turning right works as it should.  In Digital Combat Simulations eventually will cause video card to crash.  Anyway to roll back the recent update?  Hopefully a fix is coming asap.  I see others are having similar issues.
    Easiest thing is to just opt out of the PTC.  You still may need to download Rift software again and run a repair.  Both should take you back to a more cv1 stable 1.37.1 version.

• drnikitadrnikita Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    edited June 2019
    Kitijun said:
    After updating to 1.38 I am getting some stuttering when moving my head around.  Going back to 1.37 for the moment.
    same for me, at first i thought it was my pc, and reinstalled the whole OS xD ... but nope, it was the FW
    I tried it as well. The same is happening for me. 1.38 FW causes severe stuttering when turning my head. It is unusable. Luckily, opting out of the PTC fixes the issue. 
  • Tometheus13Tometheus13 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    edited June 2019
    Had an update a moment ago, anyone knows if it did something significant?

edit: Played some beat saber, felt like tracking got better... might be placebo dunno.
  • OrkelOrkel Posts: 123
    Art3mis
    Updated to 1.38.0.256587 for me as well. Not sure what changed, these small updates never have a log for some reason.
  • futsal19futsal19 Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    hello i just bought a headset oculus rift s and when I'm in the black screen setup after 20 seconds .I have a MSI i7700 gtx 1060 6 GB, all work with my oculus rift.

edited June 2019
    Hmm after .256587 update, just spent about 45 min in Robo Recall and can't recall seeing a single white flash.
    Probably too soon to say but may be promising.
    Touch seemed snappier on response also, especially when teleporting.
    I was getting just a slight amount of lag when teleporting at times previously.
    Don

• ShowbizDonkeyShowbizDonkey Posts: 271 Oculus Staff
    @futsal19 I recommend checking out the first section of this support article: https://support.oculus.com/294426521446490/
  • stevensred5stevensred5 Posts: 9
    NerveGear
    My rift S getting worse & F*****G worse.......when it works AWSOME, but getting there.....usb3 not connected (YES it IS), display port not connected (YES it IS), hands appear 6 feet way & spinning........ABSOLUTELY SICK OF THIS.......Anyone else had the giant Kenny Everet hands yet......6 direction movement constantly dropping to 4 direction.....only way I can get it to work is by restarting my system over & over.....& YES done everything recommended....haven't tried the BETA stuff yet, seems just as many people having issues with that anyway....& I upgraded from CV-1!!!.......AAARRRGGHHHH,  only thing that may make me happy (for a moment) is to take a sledge hammer to the headset & giving it as much grief as its given me....OK, now I'm waiting patiently for the OBVIOUS firmware & software updates that are desperately needed....
    NerveGear
    Tapez votre commentaire
    thank you for your answer but I can not find the driver 398.35 he asks I have a gtx 1060 msi laptop :(
  • mattydboommattydboom Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    edited June 2019
    Excellent venting stevensred5 ! For the sake of your own sanity, try the PTC Beta software. I was experiencing the crazy hands and juttering etc until dong so. See my last post. The updates seem to be steadily making things better.
  • stevensred5stevensred5 Posts: 9
    NerveGear
    OK...will give it try............after I wipe the tears away.....
    NerveGear
    @futsal19 I recommend checking out the first section of this support article: https://support.oculus.com/294426521446490/

thank you finally any walk thank you INFINITELY
    Tapez votre commentaire
    So I shut Oculus Home down about a half hour ago. Latest 1.38 PTC.
    I have one Touch Controller with a flashing white led, the other controller with a solid white led lit up.

C'mon Oculus, get the software where these Touch Controllers actually turn off when not in use but PC on. They seem at best to just go into a standby mode but still somewhat active. Yes I can shut PC down and then they turn off, I prefer though to leave my PC on during the day.

MY CV1 controllers batteries would last several weeks. These Rift S Touch controllers I might get a week out of them if I am lucky.

Don

• RattyUKRattyUK Posts: 1,175
    Wintermute
    @dburne - you're doing better than me with your controllers, Don - mine are running the rechargeables down after around 3 days, optimistically it may be the batteries as they are over 2 years old now...
    How is the replacement S working?
    PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, MSI MPG X570 Edge, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, KFA2 RTX 2080 Super, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Antec Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15.1 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.
    Rift S
    Laptop: Aorus X5 V6-CF1 (I7-6820HK, GTX 1070, 2* 256GB M.2 NVME, 1TB 7200 HDD)
    Trinity
    edited June 2019
    My original pair of batteries only lasted about 5 days with 1.37.

But since 1.38 I'm on the same batteries and I use my Rift S at least 5x/week.
    i7-7700k, GTX 1080Ti (11G) || MSI B150m (1 USB controller) + Inateck 4-port USB to PCIe (2nd USB controller)
    Oculus Rift S
    Oculus GO
  • mhajii210mhajii210 Posts: 51
    Hiro Protagonist
    Guys I have tried everything listed on the support site and everything I could think of with no luck. I even tried Oculus Homeless, removing overclock and going back to default, and making sure BIOS and drivers are all up-to-date. I am still getting the same static flashes (2-3 per hour) as day 1 with no change whatsoever. I just submitted a ticket in case support will want me to try a new cable. My return window from Amazon ends 6/22 and I'm getting worried here. No one seems to know if this is a software or hardware issue. 
    Trinity
    mhajii210 said:
    Guys I have tried everything listed on the support site and everything I could think of with no luck. I even tried Oculus Homeless, removing overclock and going back to default, and making sure BIOS and drivers are all up-to-date. I am still getting the same static flashes (2-3 per hour) as day 1 with no change whatsoever. I just submitted a ticket in case support will want me to try a new cable. My return window from Amazon ends 6/22 and I'm getting worried here. No one seems to know if this is a software or hardware issue. 
    Oculus stated they're aware of the Static Flash issue (I also have it).  Not really much for us to do, the issue is most likely their end.
    Oculus Rift S
    Oculus GO
    Wintermute
    I moved from USB3.1 Gen2 to USB C (identical) and flashes still there. They also are releasing 1.38 now and it too has not fixed Flashes.