New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Rift S and Rift 1.38 PTC Release Notes

Comments

• Avi8tor0Avi8tor0 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Doctori said:
    its deceiving. Sounded like an update, but this was in addition:
    If you're using Oculus Rift S and experiencing black screen and/or cable enumeration issues, please try opting into the latest PTC (https://support.oculus.com/200468603765391/) build of the Oculus software. We've included updates that should help.

Is this the only update?

This didn't fix the black screen for me. After applying the firmware, the headset worked flawlessly. I could shut down Oculus and restart it and it worked. However, after a reboot, the black screen came back. Also the white flashes and stuttering seem to happen more frequently. Rebooting Oculus takes 3 times to get the screen back.
    Seems passthrough is an issue. If I use my USB 3.0 card, I get snow.
    Move it to the motherboard USB and passthrough works.

USB powersave is off. 
    Tracking is now worse with obvious studders
    I'm purchasing a USB 3 to Type C adapter to plug directly into my RTX2080 to see if that corrects any of the issues.
    I have the latest windows 10 updates and Nvidia drivers.
  • KnutsiKnutsi Posts: 147
    Art3mis
    groy1 said:
    Does this update do anything for the tracking? I still can't use the Rift S because the controllers lock in place minutes after starting the software. They still rotate, the buttons still work, but they don't move.
    Does your headset also sometimes not pass the sensor check during setup? Mine got what you described once, then never recovered. 
  • KitijunKitijun Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    After updating to 1.38 I am getting some stuttering when moving my head around.  Going back to 1.37 for the moment.
    same for me, at first i thought it was my pc, and reinstalled the whole OS xD ... but nope, it was the FW
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 2,158 Valuable Player
    I took a chance and updated to 1.38ptc (Oculus App Version 1.38.0.250171) earlier today.  Actually this worked out very well for me.  I have not found any problems with any games/sims from Oculus Store, Steam, or independents.  

The controller grips no longer lag and tracking seems a little better.  Audio is a bit better as well.  I still find going into the sound control panel and enabling Bass Boost helps produce a nicer, deeper sound.  Not quite as tinny.

I'm still getting a very short white screen flash every 20-30 minutes.  Oculus says they are working on this for the next update (next week or so?).  This is really the only remaining major issue that needs fixing for me.  Overall I'm really enjoying my nice new Rift S and I'm looking forward to further tweaks from the Oculus engineers.

Anyway, at least I can put the controller battery covers on again, lol!

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti, 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro w/2.0 base stations/controllers, Quest w/Link and VD wireless (good/close 5Ghz wifi and PC with Ethernet cable to my Router).

• MAC_MAN86MAC_MAN86 Posts: 2,262
    Wintermute
    Mine works just as yours but is still Win1809 (no Hotfix used) and Oculus 1.37 but the controller lag was only on the first use of it and vanished completely. I tried the PCIe USB3.0 card and tracking glitched lots making Re-Centre happen every 5secs! So I'm back to using the m/b USB3.1 ASMedia again for now.
  • dazzyb2k3dazzyb2k3 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    josefulus said:
    After updating to 1.38 I am getting some stuttering when moving my head around.  Going back to 1.37 for the moment.
    I'm getting the same stuttering with this update as well. 
    Same here. Stuttered all over the place with 1.38.  Tried updating drivers etc but no joy.  Rolled back to 1.37 and everything is butter smooth again.
  • MoTivE12MoTivE12 Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    edited May 2019

I have had my rift s for a week now its my first vr headset and for the most part when it is working   it is very enjoyable and I love it BUT!!! I have been experiencing issues just as what is plastered all over these forums as of late such as the black screen issues randomly which seem for myself to be only caused by loud noises in game or actions such as hitting hands together in pokerstars vr or bigscreen etc. I seem to  have stopped these black screens from happening by plugging in my own headphones into the rift s headset and strangely this does the trick ???

I also do experience the white flashes of static light from time to time and thought this was due to my USB 3.0 ports not having a dedicated power supply so I purchased the Oculus recommended Inateck USB 3.0 PCI express card to try remedy this but black screens do still seem to happen along with the static  if I have no headphones plugged into the headset which makes me believe the black screens are something to do with the audio drivers/speaker hardware.

Just to note I have had no problems with sensors or them not setting up correctly, although annoyingly sometimes after a black screen event I may have to reset up all the oculus guardian boundary's!!!!!!!...annoying as hell.

I will try this update tonight to see if I still get black screens with no headphones plugged in and update on this thread of my findings.

Fingers crossed.

UPDATE: Just to update on i have been running the new beta update now for a few hours and all seems to be fine no blackouts at all, iv tried everything to force the black screen issues that i know from before and it stays stable i do get a few white static from time to time and occasionaly i notice the stuttering now and again but i think its going in the right direction for myself personally and im sure can be fixed in the next update soon.

I have not used any headphones on the headet and have had my audio set to 100% the whole time on the rift s.

Good work Oculus seem things are slowly coming together here but there is still alot more work required.

Thanks!
    Wintermute
    I do wonder if the problems go if we don't push the Volume up to 100% as from 50% upwards barely NOTHING HAPPENS! Thus indicating it is limiting the output to prevent clipping which is extra processing.
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 2,158 Valuable Player
    Ya, I cranked my rift s headphone volumes down to 50% as well.  Still plenty loud for me and maybe a little less static feedback (odd crackle) as well.

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti, 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro w/2.0 base stations/controllers, Quest w/Link and VD wireless (good/close 5Ghz wifi and PC with Ethernet cable to my Router).

• MPiresMPires Posts: 148
    Art3mis
    As far as sound is concerned I noticed at least one improvement. Earlier in the iracing when I played or I climbed a limiter of the track the sound almost disappeared and only reappeared a hundred meters later. After the upgrade the sound remains stable under all conditions. Well done.
    I continue to have flashes once in a while, maybe in a lower cadence but I'm not sure.
  • morninglandmorningland Posts: 13
    NerveGear
    Dumb question, but how do you update?  I can't find it and I'm still using the old version
  • KnutsiKnutsi Posts: 147
    Art3mis
    Dumb question, but how do you update?  I can't find it and I'm still using the old version
    Go into settings in the Oculus program and enable public test channel from the beta tab. It will update.
  • drunkpacmandrunkpacman Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    tomalee said:
    abydosan said:
    Update done. I went to Beat Saber the sound is better. Not a HQ Hi-Fi, just a mobile phone speaker fine. After one game I went to play Onward. During the start I got a blackscreen super fast. The loud sounds still make blackscreens.
    Yeah this is definitely still an issue. It happens whenever the volume is high and a loud noise occurs. Happens in Pavlov if you throw a flashbang near you, for example.
    Those might still be STEAM issues.  STEAMVR Beta just released a new beta today with some S fixes, so it might be worth checking out.
    Not steamVR happens to games in the oculus store like bigscreen and pokerstars too. 
  • abydosanabydosan Posts: 22
    Brain Burst
    Those might still be STEAM issues.  STEAMVR Beta just released a new beta today with some S fixes, so it might be worth checking out.
    Not steamVR happens to games in the oculus store like bigscreen and pokerstars too. 
    I can confirm. This is not a Steam issues I experiencing it in Oculus Store apps too.
  • rooL-rooL- Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    I like the new update.. it fixed the cant boot up problem i had with the usb plugged in! (that is just personal) i got the feeling i had less white flashes/statics whatever u call it.. + i believe the controller input got bit better.. in pavlov it felt like u changed something with the hand that is close to the face.. it still gets stuck but something is diffrent right now and it is better! (maybe its just the perfect light outside ;D)
  • rickyleung90rickyleung90 Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    I just updated everything with Public Test Channel, and now literally everything is broken. Boot up any game and I get black screen within a few seconds. By mashing buttons sometimes the screen comes back for a few seconds and then go black again.
    At this point I think I am done trying to fix it. Gonna come back in a few days and see if there are updates.
    Changed some USB settings and tightened the cable and everything works now. 
  • hl-celhl-cel Posts: 14
    NerveGear
    edited May 2019
    I can't enable public test channel in the beta tab. I clicked on the button on the right but it stays gray and nothing happens. 
    It is working now.
  • CheesyJoksterCheesyJokster Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    edited May 2019
    Still not fixing things for me. One thing I noticed now is my system thinks I have multiple right handed rift touch controllers along with my actual ones. So while I am playing when the tracking goofs up, I see, in this example, 5 right controlers. Even when I try to remove them, they won't remove. So I decided to removed them from Device Manager which showed two Rift S USB hubs installed and reboot. Will report back on if that helps me or not.

UPDATE: After rebooting the same things were there. So I uninstalled Oculus app, deleted it from Program Files, Programdata, Local appdata, Roaming appdata, and all games then rebooted and installed the application fresh. Weird thing, after I reinstalled it applied the firmware updates again, which doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. Once I got through the initial setup I only see one of each thing now. I will test and update with my results later.

• owenwpowenwp Posts: 681 Oculus Start Member
    edited May 2019
    After updating, it seems to work but now the status LED is constantly and distractingly red while I am playing. Turns white when I take it off.

update: restarted a couple times and it went away
    Wintermute
    edited May 2019
    RIFT S Audio Auto Limter must be removed! It keeps volumes above 50% at just 50%! It is shit and not wanted!
    Then when we do add any enhancement of any kind the volume can still be acceptably loud to our choosing.
    I have heard the Limiter open up the gate when there is just vocals in Songs. FIX IT BY REMOVING THE LIMITER!
    @OculusSupport
  • criznagcriznag Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    edited May 2019
    Oh my gosh, why did I update, in the same boat as others, headset is completely dead, red light, not recognized by the Oculus software, worked flawlessly before but I updated as Robo Recall started crashing, thought it was a full release didn't realize it was beta, thought you just needed to do that to force the update...sighh

EDIT: Oh thank the lord, did a repair, it did a firmware update, now it appears connected again....

EDIT 2: Tracking issues, lasted about 5 minutes in Robot Recall, connection issues, now it's saying Display port not connected...

• CheesyJoksterCheesyJokster Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    Update to my earlier post. Removing Oculus app and deleting said folders seems to have cured all my issues thus far. I was able to play Space Pirate trainer with no issues several times. Also all the extra controllers are now gone from my Devices section in Oculus.
  • antitrust42antitrust42 Posts: 115
    Art3mis
    each time they update, i need t repear my software if i want my headset will be recognised, is long to install each time and set all thing 

why oculus software cant keep my display and usb port in memory ? 
  • SandcrackaSandcracka Posts: 89
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited May 2019
    Doctori said:
    josefulus said:
    LOL please tell me you guys are rebooting and trying before rolling back :)

I rebooted as soon as the software and both firmwares finished updating LOL, after I restarted the Oculus service of course.  Like I said, I went back to 1.37 and no problems anymore.  Except for the random snow shower but I can live with that until 1.38 goes live.
  • DeliriumBladesDeliriumBlades Posts: 10
    Brain Burst
    Doctori said:
    josefulus said:
    LOL please tell me you guys are rebooting and trying before rolling back :)

I rebooted as soon as the software and both firmwares finished updating LOL, after I restarted the Oculus service of course.  Like I said, I went back to 1.37 and no problems anymore.  Except for the random snow shower but I can live with that until 1.38 goes live.
    doesn't matter though..still getting the random snow shower in 1.38
  • RG4520RG4520 Posts: 18
    NerveGear
    edited May 2019
    I wanted to put this out there for what it's worth. I've been experiencing the random snow/static every 5 to 20 minutes since day one. I put in a support ticket to Oculus on day one. We've been going back and forth and today they told me they wanted me to send the whole thing back. I send mine back, they ship out a new one. They said it would take two or more weeks. Wasn't really wanting to wait that long so I just exchanged mine at Best Buy. 

My day one model was manufactured 3/19. The one I exchanged it for, which didn't get to the store until this past Tuesday (one week from launch) was manufactured 4/19. 

The cord felt a little different on the new headset. It may just be placebo, but I noticed it right away as I was unpacking. Almost felt like a deflated balloon latexy kinda thing, whereas the first felt less stretchy around the cable. (if that makes any sense) It was also wrapped in the case in a different orientation than my original. 

It's now been a solid 2 hours of playing a variety of games and I haven't gotten a single flash. It's also not stuttering when opening up pass-through like the other one was prone to do at times. My original headset was flashing static almost immediately upon firing it up. It played fantastic, no crashes or anything, just the flashing static every 5 to 20 minutes, and the pass-through not always wanting to cooperate. This new one has none of those issues thus far. I've tried out both the original firmware, and yesterdays update, and it was just as smooth and non static flashy on both. 

I've read from a variety of users that they've gotten flashes as late as several hours into playing, so if I get any static flashing whatsoever I will update this post right away. I'm not discounting that I'm in a honeymoon phase and this headset just hasn't decided to act up yet, and the manufacture date has nothing to do with the static or whatnot. However the evidence so far is promising. On the last headset I tried all 8 of my USB slots. 6 3.0 and 2 3.1. I also used an adapter and tried the Nvidia virtual link USB C connection on my 2080ti Founders Edition. It was the same flashing on every port. On the new headset tonight I started out with the 3.1, but if I go the weekend without a static flash I'll start trying the others as well just to cover my bases. 

And while it may just be the default thing they do, the fact that Oculus wanted to exchange my full kit instead of telling me to wait for a firmware update or maybe send me a new cable, led me to go ahead and do the exchange at Best Buy because I knew it was a separate shipment and was probably not just another one from the same batch.

Maybe it is hardware? I would be super curious to see tear-downs on some of these and see if the headsets were manufactured with different models of  components (maybe to keep the supply chain flowing, or maybe there are multiple factories making them, etc. Kind of like how Nvidia used different ram modules on the 2080ti's, some Samsung, some Micron)

UPDATE: I'm actually relieved to update that the static flashes returned in the exact fashion they've been occurring all along. I'm now pretty much sold that it's a software issue.

• criznagcriznag Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    So I mentioned yesterday everything was flawless, I forgot to mention I did get a new USB device, some Arctis Pro 7 Wireless Headphones, I don't think I had really gamed with them yet, maybe beat saber, but not Robo where I'm now crashing. I tried to update again and back to the orange light and software saying I'm not connected - I tried with all my USB ports unplugged, same issue. I guess I can do repair again but that's not going to help my issue with the black screen/crashing all of a sudden, not sure what to do.
  • DoctoriDoctori Posts: 64
    Hiro Protagonist
    RG4520 said:
    I wanted to put this out there for what it's worth. I've been experiencing the random snow/static every 5 to 20 minutes since day one. I put in a support ticket to Oculus on day one. We've been going back and forth and today they told me they wanted me to send the whole thing back. I send mine back, they ship out a new one. They said it would take two or more weeks. Wasn't really wanting to wait that long so I just exchanged mine at Best Buy. 

My day one model was manufactured 3/19. The one I exchanged it for, which didn't get to the store until this past Tuesday (one week from launch) was manufactured 4/19. 

The cord felt a little different on the new headset. It may just be placebo, but I noticed it right away as I was unpacking. Almost felt like a deflated balloon latexy kinda thing, whereas the first felt less stretchy around the cable. (if that makes any sense) It was also wrapped in the case in a different orientation than my original. 

It's now been a solid 2 hours of playing a variety of games and I haven't gotten a single flash. It's also not stuttering when opening up pass-through like the other one was prone to do at times. My original headset was flashing static almost immediately upon firing it up. It played fantastic, no crashes or anything, just the flashing static every 5 to 20 minutes, and the pass-through not always wanting to cooperate. This new one has none of those issues thus far. I've tried out both the original firmware, and yesterdays update, and it was just as smooth and non static flashy on both. 

I've read from a variety of users that they've gotten flashes as late as several hours into playing, so if I get any static flashing whatsoever I will update this post right away. I'm not discounting that I'm in a honeymoon phase and this headset just hasn't decided to act up yet, and the manufacture date has nothing to do with the static or whatnot. However the evidence so far is promising. On the last headset I tried all 8 of my USB slots. 6 3.0 and 2 3.1. I also used an adapter and tried the Nvidia virtual link USB C connection on my 2080ti Founders Edition. It was the same flashing on every port. On the new headset tonight I started out with the 3.1, but if I go the weekend without a static flash I'll start trying the others as well just to cover my bases. 

And while it may just be the default thing they do, the fact that Oculus wanted to exchange my full kit instead of telling me to wait for a firmware update or maybe send me a new cable, led me to go ahead and do the exchange at Best Buy because I knew it was a separate shipment and was probably not just another one from the same batch.

Maybe it is hardware? I would be super curious to see tear-downs on some of these and see if the headsets were manufactured with different models of  components (maybe to keep the supply chain flowing, or maybe there are multiple factories making them, etc. Kind of like how Nvidia used different ram modules on the 2080ti's, some Samsung, some Micron)

Wow, yea on earlier threads some other came same conclusions. The 3/19's were the bad ones. Mine was 4/19, a best buy walk in on launch day. I'm lucky OMG. I had 0 issues ever and been using it a ton. If I had a 3/19, I would totally exchange it if I could even if they do figure this out.

• DoctoriDoctori Posts: 64
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited May 2019
    LMAO doing lone echo and can't hear the lady ( can't believe forgot her name ), livia ??