New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Rift S and Rift 1.38 PTC Release Notes

Comments

• MAC_MAN86MAC_MAN86 Posts: 2,262
    Wintermute
    Thanks @ShowbizDonkey but if a known fix is added it should be sent directly to the Live Release. Users here have stated the PTC was worse and rolled back and even your techs told them to! We can be patient but just fix the faults I told you about and surely it can work as it should.
  • RG4520RG4520 Posts: 18
    NerveGear
    Thanks for the update @ShowbizDonkey! Glad to hear your team is aware and still working on the flashes, and I hope a fix is incoming soon. Five Nights at Freddy's VR is calling my name, please hurry! :D
  • harke69harke69 Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    thank you @ShowbizDonkey , actualy my rifts S make occasional black screens when I wake it up, Also when playing, in a gap of 5 minutes to 2 hours, I lost the translation tracking tracking of the helmet and the touchs. I already done everything asked (resetting cable, testing all usb) ands nothing changed, I also know the problem is not on my computer, played all the day with the rift S of my friend with nothing more than some rare white flash. I already asked for a replacement to amazon, it will come in 10 days, but before that if you want log and test, just ask for it :)
  • pforsgardpforsgard Posts: 9
    NerveGear
    I had the black screen issue. 
    I think it’s solved now. Upgraded to the latest PTC and using an USB-C port with an USB-C to USB3 adapter. I believe that the USB-C on my motherboard is able to deliver more power than the USB 3 ports. 
    Wintermute
    edited June 2019
    I had wondered if that could help out. See if it flashes over a week. Is it a multi-port HUB or just a single Adapter?
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NONDA-USB-C-TO-USB-3-0-MINI-ADAPTER-ALUMINIUM-BODY-WORLDS-SMALLEST-WITH-LED/372647424548?hash=item56c3847224:g:6UUAAOSwVZ1cauzU
  • dburnedburne Posts: 3,537 Valuable Player
    pforsgard said:
    I think it’s solved now. Upgraded to the latest PTC and using an USB-C port with an USB-C to USB3 adapter. I believe that the USB-C on my motherboard is able to deliver more power than the USB 3 ports. 
    I hope it does, I had tried the same with my black screen issue and at first though it did but then it came back.
    For my particular situation, only thing that works for me to get rid of the black screen is going back to one monitor in my windows config and unplugging my secondary monitor from gpu.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • RosgilliesRosgillies Posts: 170
    Art3mis
    Had to roll back to 1809 from 1903 as win 10 1903 will not allow the ovrservice to start up for my rift s. Tried to start it in services but it stays on stopped as does ovr libraryservice. Anybody got some tips to try?
    edited June 2019
    dburne said:
    pforsgard said:
    I hope it does, I had tried the same with my black screen issue and at first though it did but then it came back.
    For my particular situation, only thing that works for me to get rid of the black screen is going back to one monitor in my windows config and unplugging my secondary monitor from gpu.
    Slight correction, as long as I change windows to single monitor and my main monitor is display #1, I do not have to unplug the secondary monitor cables. However with multi monitor selected for display it will black screen after first launching and closing Oculus Home, then relaunching again in same session.

So for now I just have to change display to single monitor -  my main monitor #1 when I want to game in VR. Hoping maybe a future firmware update might resolve it.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • JohnnyMac63JohnnyMac63 Posts: 8
    NerveGear
    I must say, Job well done oculus. After two days zero problems. Thank you. Took all the software and firmware updates and everything seems to run well.:)
    Wintermute
    edited June 2019
    So @ShowbizDonkey & @OculusSupport, this is what I can tell is happening with RIFT S...
    The Audio Limiter works from 50% Volume on any peaks and if there's no peaks then the gate is left open. So in Pokerstars VR when the loudest sound is chips hitting the table OR that coin you can flip/spin (very loud) then the Peak Limiter kicks in hard but this crashes the unit by drawing too much power at that time. The game may last just a few mins before it crashes but if I use another Audio Source then it can last a few hours.

If I play Music from Windows Media Player then the RIFT S Audio is being constantly Peak Limited from 50% upwards and is a steady use of extra processing. We can hear the extra compression as it's being squashed. There is seemingly a memory leak there which is building up an issue after a few hours of this and is apparent in the White Flashes which eventually causes the Blackscreen crash after a few hours.
    If we are not playing a constant sound like music then the Limiter Gate is opened up for the full volume changes gradually from 0 - 100% but will need much reduction once it gets a loud sound suddenly.
  • sraurasraura Posts: 590
    Trinity
    At least the hmd gets enough power to lighten the entire display - for most of the time :)

Naa... but for real - how about official external cv1 style speakers - 50% off to customers who already bought rift s. I bet they draw less power too .)
  • EventlessHorizonEventlessHorizon Posts: 8
    NerveGear
    TomCgcmfc said:
    Honestly, I do not understand why guys who intend to return for refund or return for replacement from a retail outlet are bothering to start tickets (maybe multiple tickets?) with Oculus Support.  All this is doing is making the Support queue longer for the rest of us imho.  I guess if they are sending in log files it may be somewhat useful but I'd think that Oculus has enough of these already (including mine).

Well I did exactly that with my Quest - namely because I wanted to give Support a chance first. Once they determined it needed RMA and their policy of no advanced ship even with cc hold it was a no brainer choice. Go out of my way to re-pack, ship, etc. it back to them, wait for someone to confirm receipt, and then ship me a replacement, some time? Or, order a new one from best buy and swap out the defective unit in 1 day. They were weirdly obsessed with the controller pairings too for some reason - because I had both a Rift S and Quest they had me take pics of the serial in each controller so they could match them? I don't know if you have looked in that cavernous little controller but that was not fun.I would rather Oculus get my device back with all of the data I gathered in a timely manner, but not with these kinds of delays... :(

NerveGear
    edited June 2019
    Add me to the list of PTS users whom are now getting a lot of stutter when head tracking. PTS enrolled, firmware 1.7.1. Machine: i9-9900K, 32GB, RTX 2800ti founders OC. In  addition Gargantuan and Trover Saves the Universe from Steam load to garbled screens with no ability to clear (work fine on Vive and WMR on the same machine) The latter I believe happens pre-PTS as well though.
  • vonskievonskie Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    1.38 PTC has fixed my back screen problems...
    Now I have a new problem now sometimes the screen flashes white, it is a really quick flash but none the less aggravating
  • lensmandavelensmandave Posts: 352
    Trinity
    vonskie said:
    1.38 PTC has fixed my back screen problems...
    Now I have a new problem now sometimes the screen flashes white, it is a really quick flash but none the less aggravating
    I think most of us are getting that..the devs are aware of it and looking for a solution.
    Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz. Asus-Z170-PRO MB
    CORSAIR H105 HYDRO CPU COOLER.
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX1080ti. 16GB DDR4 2666MHZ HYPERX SAVAGE.
    SAMSUNG M.2 SSD 128GB SM951 Boot Drive. SAMSUNG SSD 500GB EVO Working Drive.
    Windows 10  64bit Professional
    Wintermute
    Look @ShowbizDonkey , have you reported all our findings? If they deny any Audio problem could be the cause I'll be sending tis back. I think they are just stubborn in listening to any suggestions and this reminds me of some plumbing my brother did yesterday...
    So we have a LEAK and put in place a temp overland supply bypass. He has to plumb in an outside tap for the Water Company to connect to. He gets on with it and stare at the Tap and he asks "I wonder what that plastic is?". I say it'll be a valve and is likely a non-return type. He takes the longest route to plumb so he can easily see his Frankenstein masterpiece within the shop rather than drilling in behind a boxed pipe section. He then finds the tap is too far off the outside wall so needs a wooden spacer. Puts 4 holes in the wall and fixes it only to find the Tap is UPSIDE DOWN! This puts stress on their pipe. He corrects this and puts it above instead thus leaving 4 horrible holes beneath. The Water Company connect to the Tap and...nothing! They spend hours only to find out it still has that NONE-RETURN VAVLE in it thus preventing flow into the building!!!

Heed...listen to what Users say and tell them!
  • ShocksVRShocksVR Posts: 486
    Trinity
    edited June 2019
    Add me to the list of PTS users whom are now getting a lot of stutter when head tracking. PTS enrolled, firmware 1.7.1. Machine: i9-9900K, 32GB, RTX 2800ti founders OC. In  addition Gargantuan and Trover Saves the Universe from Steam load to garbled screens with no ability to clear (work fine on Vive and WMR on the same machine) The latter I believe happens pre-PTS as well though.
    Its possible that's a Steam issue. SteamVR only has basic Rift S support right now 
    i7-7700k, GTX 1080Ti (11G) || MSI B150m (1 USB controller) + Inateck 4-port USB to PCIe (2nd USB controller)
    Oculus Rift S
    Oculus GO
    Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale
  • kavangekavange Posts: 21
    Brain Burst
    edited June 2019
    FYI, usb analyzer software lists the internal units in S (cameras, soundcard) as using usb 2.0 protocol. It also gave me a max of 132MB/s of bandwith usage total for all oculus devices so this is not an issue. There is also a powerrating of 896mA but I suspect this is not actually measured, just estimated, to my knowledge there isnt a built in way to measure how much power an usb device consumes. I havent had any of these issues btw, I just ran an usb analyzer on all the oculus devices listed.
    Wintermute
    edited June 2019
    kavange said:
    FYI, usb analyzer software lists the internal units in S (cameras, soundcard) as using usb 2.0 protocol. It also gave me a max of 132MB/s of bandwith usage total for all oculus devices so this is not an issue. There is also a powerrating of 896mA but I suspect this is not actually measured, just estimated, to my knowledge there isnt a built in way to measure how much power an usb device consumes. I havent had any of these issues btw, I just ran an usb analyzer on all the oculus devices listed.
    Good work! Can you do same for the D.Port? One User said it consumes 37W altogether. Seems like it does not like distance for USB3 as RIFT found. That extra 1m may have caused it. I could try my front Ports but those are just m/bUSB3. However a Powered USB like Gen2 OR USB C may give it what it needs over distance. My USB C Adapter comes this week.

We need a Vote Post to find any Users which have NO FLASHES and what they are using.
    NerveGear
    Its possible that's a Steam issue. SteamVR only has basic Rift S support right now 
    Hi, thanks for the thought @ShocksOculus, it is possible, though for Trtover it was working fine until I did a "reset position" from the Oculus dashboard while in game hoping to fix a positioning issue. I am not sure if that was a coincidence or not, but if not whatever changed as a result also impacted Gargantuan the same way  it's the same strange display issue)

The first issue of stuttering definitely has nothing to do with Steam, this stuttering happens starting at the Oculus interfaces including the dash and Home. I should note that even when transitioning to a working Steam game though that the stuttering comes right along with it (I'd expect it to though since it's running through the Oculus software). Does anyone know if there is an easy way to roll back off of the beta update? I turned off the PTS option but it only says it will not send any MORE updates (meaning the updates to now are in stil) and the stuttering continues. It is making my Rift S unplayable, both OVR and Steam games stutter to the point of making your head spin... and I should not be seeing that kind of lag on a 9900k and 2800ti... :( Maybe I will have to hook up the old Rift again for the time being but  I had taken down the sensors as a way of committing to the new "experience" on the Oculus side. :( Rollback is definitely preferable if possible though... and that would include the firmware update I presume. 
  • Bullant8547Bullant8547 Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    Still no fix for the crackling/popping audio :(
    Wintermute
    edited June 2019
  • BaZhAnGBaZhAnG Posts: 8
    NerveGear
    For rift users (not s) , when u played vr games from steamvr and using the oculus rift (not s), do you experience monitor and rift headset black outs and still you can hear the audio on the headphones ? And I have to do a hard reset to reboot .
  • mattydboommattydboom Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    edited June 2019
    Hey everyone - thanks for all your feedback thus far. As we’ve said, we’re aware of some users experiencing issues with Rift S, including the sporadic static/white flashing issue, and we’re working on addressing them as quickly as possible. We pushed out two additional updates to the PTC this week, which have included some additional stability improvements and bug fixes (including one particularly nasty black screen issue that appeared in last week’s first PTC build). We’ll continue to note changes in release notes here on the forum. In the meantime, we encourage everyone to check out our troubleshooting guide, which we’re continuing to update with new known issues as we identify them and troubleshooting tips to address them. Thanks for your continued patience, and we'll continue to share updates as we have them.
    Purchased my Rift S yesterday and out of the box it updated to 1.37.0.254188 and within 10min of game-play I started to experience a loss of tracking of the right hand controller which would spring back into life within a second or two. Then 10mins later (and just like the original post here) I would see both hands stop tracking altogether & Passthough would show only grey static. A reset of the Oculus application would generally spring things back to life but with no more than 10-15mins in a game before repeating the error. Needless to say I was really disappointed at this point.

After reading the forum info and above statement from Oculus support, I thought I had nothing to lose by trying the Beta version of the software. So switched on the 'Public Test Channel' under 'settings' and soon had the version 1.38.0.253916 installed which ran a update to both the HMD and controller firmware too. Since this the tracking has been spot on and after 1-2hrs of game-play in various games I haven't had one loss of controller(s) or need to reboot. Hurrah! Even noticed improved head tracking and a medium improvement to the audio quality.

Small caveat. As per a lot of other users I still see the white flash / static / frame drop thing once in every 10mins or so. Not great, but a massive improvement on what was otherwise a VR crippling fault. Sounds like Oculus are still working on improvements, just a shame the early adopters, advocates & fans of VR have to be the guinea pigs.....fingers crossed for more improvements going forward. 
    My Touch battery life is still not so good in PTC 1.38.
    Appears they enter standby ( white light flashing) while computer is running and  Rift S not being used, but they never turn off it appears unless my PC is shut down. Even with Oculus Home closed but PC on they continue to flash.
    Latest set of fresh batteries lasted me 6 days.
    I will just take them out when PC running and not running VR in the meantime.

Would be nice if they would completely turn off with Oculus Home closed and PC running.
    Don

Wintermute
    Due to them not closing the Oculus Services and yet we could do that in 1 move with the OTT or having to close them in Task Manager. Very lazy programming seriously. I mean all of this design seems to be based all around 1 Person that never wants it OFF unless they Switch OFF, for a PC which seems to Power USB3 in whatever type they designed it for, and they don't need good Audio nor need Strafe in Home.
    Perhaps because it was DESIGNED by a person that NEVER USES IT!!!
  • OrkelOrkel Posts: 123
    Art3mis
    Small update on PTC, 1.38.0.255343
    Changes are unknown.
  • nroskonrosko Posts: 954
    Neo
    Is anyone able to get ctrl + Num8 shortcut to work? This used to turn off oculus home creating another desktop in windows & messing up all the screen icons. It no longer works. 
  • javelina1javelina1 Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    Orkel said:
    Small update on PTC, 1.38.0.255343
    Changes are unknown.
    Just noticed that as well...  hmmm...