Official Oculus Quest headphones only outputting Left audio — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Official Oculus Quest headphones only outputting Left audio

btartellbtartell Posts: 7
NerveGear
I received my official Oculus Quest headphones the other day, and have noticed that they’re only outputting Left side audio from both audio jacks.  I first noticed this in various games (Vader Immortal being the first) and then used a Youtube left/right audio test to confirm. 

When left side audio is playing, it comes out fine on the left headphone. When right side audio is playing, it’s completely mute. 

Is this a known issue?  Are others experiencing the same?  Are my headphones defective?  Is my Quest defective?

Comments

• nalex66nalex66 Posts: 4,466 Volunteer Moderator
    I don’t have the official Oculus earbuds, but when I used my own headphones, at first I was only getting left ear audio. I found I had to really press the jack in hard to make contact on the right ear channel.
    i7 5820K @ 4.25 GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32 GB | Corsair HX 750W
    Corsair Hydro H100i | Samsung SSDs: 860 Evo 1 TB, 850 Evo 1 TB, 840 Evo 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3 TB
  • btartellbtartell Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    I think this issue is somewhat different.  The right headphone jack does output audio, but it will not output right-only audio — it’s only outputting left channel. 
  • LujhoLujho Posts: 56
    Hiro Protagonist
    Both jacks are presumably still outputting both channels though (since they each work fine with regular stereo headphones) - it's just that each individual bud is designed to only output one of them. So it still might be a "not pushed in far enough" thing.
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 4,466 Volunteer Moderator
    Lujho said:
    Both jacks are presumably still outputting both channels though (since they each work fine with regular stereo headphones) - it's just that each individual bud is designed to only output one of them. So it still might be a "not pushed in far enough" thing.
    This is what I’m suggesting... it felt like the jack was pushed all the way in, but the socket is really tight and there was one more “click” to bottom out and make contact with the right audio ring.
    i7 5820K @ 4.25 GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32 GB | Corsair HX 750W
    Corsair Hydro H100i | Samsung SSDs: 860 Evo 1 TB, 850 Evo 1 TB, 840 Evo 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3 TB
    NerveGear
    My right headphone is as flush as I can get it.  Not sure how I’d push it in further in this state.

I’ve done some more digging on this issue, and it seems pretty widespread with the official Oculus headphones.  There’s a few posts and many comments on the Oculus Quest subreddit about this, but no solution seems to have been identified at this point. 
    NerveGear
    edited May 30
    I performed another test using an old standard pair of wired stereo headphones. 

Channel separation worked perfectly fine regardless of whether the headphones were plugged into the left audio jack or the right audio jack.  There also wasn’t nearly as much hissing or static or crackling as with the Oculus earbuds. 

This leads me to believe it’s an issue with the Oculus earbuds, and not necessarily an issue with the Quest. 
  • actualhumanactualhuman Posts: 15
    NerveGear
    I also have this issue and have done some testing on non-Quest devices. The right earbud will _only_ play left channel audio no matter what device it is connected to. I believe it is just a hardware screw up.
    i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz | 8GB RAM | MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G | Ubuntu 14.04 LTS / Windows 7 64bit
  • highporthighport Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    this is a widespread issue and warranting a sticky on this forum. Reddit has a good thread running:
    https://np.reddit.com/r/OculusQuest/comments/buwpku/official_oculus_quest_earbuds_owners_please_read/
    NerveGear
    At this point, it seems essentially confirmed that Oculus is selling defective earbuds, wherein the right earbud has been wired for left, leaving users with two left earbuds. 

We’re going to need a refund and/or replacement process. 
  • AnfronieAnfronie Posts: 15
    NerveGear
    btartell said:
    At this point, it seems essentially confirmed that Oculus is selling defective earbuds, wherein the right earbud has been wired for left, leaving users with two left earbuds. 

We’re going to need a refund and/or replacement process. 
    It's actually more likely that the headset is not processing the sound properly when both are plugged in. They can probably update that so it recognizes two plugged in. Amazing this got through testing! 
    NerveGear
    edited May 31
    The thing is, if you check that Reddit thread, people have tested these earbuds on other, non-Quest devices.  The behavior is the same regardless of what device you plug these earbuds into — the right earbud ONLY outputs left channel audio. 

My assumption at this point is that there’s an assembly line somewhere in China where these things are being built that is currently setup incorrectly. 
    NerveGear
    I can confirm that it's the physical poles both being wired for left channel. No matter what device you plug it into you get left channel audio from the left ear bud, left channel audio from right earbud, and silence on both for right channel.

This is a hardware issue, and a pretty silly one.
    i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz | 8GB RAM | MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G | Ubuntu 14.04 LTS / Windows 7 64bit
    NerveGear
    The Reddit post received a response from the Oculus Support account stating that they’re aware of the issue and will be in touch with affected users (which is likely everyone who purchased them?) 

In any case, at least an official response has been received. 
  • DustDevilUKDustDevilUK Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Just got these last week and I've got the exact same problem.
  • Motoman66Motoman66 Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    Using my own earbuds and not seeing any issues.  You do need to push a little harder that normal, but not an issue once you figure that out.  They are HI Def SKULL Candy.  Works great, very comfortable.
  • DustDevilUKDustDevilUK Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    The problem is with the Oculus earbuds. I'm gonna wait and see what they come up with before I send them back.
    NerveGear
    Finally got a response on my ticket I put in 4-5 days ago:

"Thank you for your email, I can certainly assist you.

We have identified an issue with the Oculus Quest in-ear headphone accessory delivering mono audio instead of stereo.

We apologize for this inconvenience. We'll be following up with affected customers with more information and next steps.

Please let us know if you'd like a refund or replacement.

In the meantime, you can use a different set of headphones in the Quest audio jack for a full stereo-audio experience.

We appreciate your interest in our Oculus products."

Just a copy/paste of the reddit post. Not sure what I should do.

• kevink808kevink808 Posts: 803
    3Jane

$30 hit my account yesterday. Oculus has great customer service. Nice.
    Rift-S, Quest 128GB, GO 64GB.
  • evideeevidee Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    edited June 8
    It is good PR for oculus to give the 30$ worth of store cash (cost them almost nothing)  to make affected gamers and media shout their mouth about oculus screw up but for people like myself  with far worse experience with a defective product , nothing... cause its not a wide spread issue that oculus can lose their public image with.

i have 2 defective but still working quest touch controller that i need to return and wait for about 15 days without being able to play at all cause cause they cannot send me a remplacement set first has they told me YES about it first time i ask. Its more trouble than not having working earbud.

but its not possibly media attention catching  issue like with the buds so no need for fast CLASS ACT , PR stunts for my issue.

Nice indeed oculus
    nice Public Relationship move saving your image.
  • kevink808kevink808 Posts: 803
    3Jane
    ^^^ Why didn't you just return the defective product to the retailer where you bought it? I assume you found out the controllers were defective immediately?
    Rift-S, Quest 128GB, GO 64GB.