I am having an issue with my microphone. I am trying to determine if it is a hardware issue, or if there is some software solution to the problem. I believe it is a hardware issue at this point. Can someone confirm this? I am just about ready to return the unit. I sent in a support request but have not gotten a response.
Issue (Oculus Rift S):
1. The microphone on the headset right after I plug in the USB 3.0 connection and the display port connection typically works for a while.
2. Eventually the microphone sometimes makes a crazy buzzing noise. I can hear it on a Skype test call or on the Sansar feedback option.
3. Eventually the microphone seems to stop making any noise. Windows drivers indicate it is there and functioning, but no sound comes through. I.e. Contona hears nothing and so on. I don't see any errors for the device on the event viewer.
4. Out of everything I have tried the only way to get the microphone back temporarily functioning is typically is to unplug the USB cable. Powering down overnight may also work.
What I have tried:
1. "sfc /scannow" (from powershell admin mode). This did find and correct some corrupt windows files apparently but did not fix the issue.
2. Connecting to a different USB 3.0 port. As I mentioned, when I disconnect and reconnect the unit it seems to function for a while. I have also tried connecting to USB 3.1 and USB 2.0 ports. When I do this the microphone again does seem to work, but I have no idea for how long and since Oculus Rift S doesn't support this port type it doesn't really help.
3. It just seemed to randomly stop working after an hour or so. Normally starts the buzzing noise first and then makes no noise usually.
4. I have tried uninstalling the driver from the devices page and letting windows automatically reinstall it.
5. Restarting sound services (there were two related services). AutoStart is selected for these.
6. I have checked the windows privacy settings and allow programs to use the microphone is selected.
7. Went through the Windows 10 sequence to fix the microphone.
8. Installed USB drivers for my motherboard (Asus ROG MAXIMUS VIII HERO LGA1151 DDR4)
9. I have tried enabling and disabling the microphone device.
10. Checked that the microphone is not muted under the sound settings in windows
11. My Oculus Rift S is quite new (obviously). There is no visible damage to the cables.
Any help resolving this would be appreciated.