New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Ipd on rift s

inovatorinovator Posts: 2,235 Valuable Player
On my cv1 there was an ipd tool in home  where you would adjust the ipd until the green lines of the ipd tool were clear as it will get. Mine was clearest at 63.  On the rift s in home settings u do ipd  but no matter what setting it always looks the same. If it's at 63 or 70 it looks the same. There is no cv1 type green line type tool to see when its clear or blurry to get your settings right. I tried to see if the letters on the same settings screen would get blurry if I moved the software numbers way up to 72 or down to 58. Still all looks the same. Any opinions?

Comments

• MowTinMowTin Posts: 1,901 Valuable Player
    Others know better but the software IPD only affects depth perception and scale. It doesn't affect clarity.

There is no IPD adjustment tool like before. You're very lucky. With an IPD of 63 you're almost at the Rift-S target IPD of 64. I'm at 70 so things are not as great for me. The sweet spot is much smaller and my eyes are strained a bit more. The Rift-S image is still so much better that I'm fine with living with these issues. 

But I can't wait for my Index to arrive. Then I'll only use my Rift-S for Oculus exclusives and to lend out to my brother. 
    i7 6700k 2080ti   Rift-S, Index
  • inovatorinovator Posts: 2,235 Valuable Player
    MowTin said:
    Others know better but the software IPD only affects depth perception and scale. It doesn't affect clarity.

There is no IPD adjustment tool like before. You're very lucky. With an IPD of 63 you're almost at the Rift-S target IPD of 64. I'm at 70 so things are not as great for me. The sweet spot is much smaller and my eyes are strained a bit more. The Rift-S image is still so much better that I'm fine with living with these issues. 

But I can't wait for my Index to arrive. Then I'll only use my Rift-S for Oculus exclusives and to lend out to my brother. 
    I appreciate your opinion about the ipd. The index is tempting but I can't deal with sensors or anymore

• lars1969lars1969 Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    I have the same issue. My IPD is at 71 and based on Information from Oculus, this should not be an issue as it can Software adjusted up to IPD of 72. But this is  not really true, the physical sweet spot is fixed and  I see all around very blurs as I am on the edge of the sweet spot. I can see  this effect very well, when I close one eye. I think around return of the Rift S and can't understand People who recognize the same issue and want to stay with the  Rift  S. This is a lot of money for HMD which not working well. 
    lars1969 said:
    I have the same issue. My IPD is at 71 and based on Information from Oculus, this should not be an issue as it can Software adjusted up to IPD of 72. But this is  not really true, the physical sweet spot is fixed and  I see all around very blurs as I am on the edge of the sweet spot. I can see  this effect very well, when I close one eye. I think around return of the Rift S and can't understand People who recognize the same issue and want to stay with the  Rift  S. This is a lot of money for HMD which not working well. 
    I find if I position the HMD such that it almost rests on my nose (very low) then I get the best overall image. I don't see blur when I'm playing because I don't move my eyes much when I play. I move my head. In real life we also mostly move our head.

The reason I'm keeping it is even with the smaller sweet spot and other issues, the image is still far far better than the Rift imo. 

I also don't want to deal with sensors anymore but the Index sensors don't require USB cables. And the tracking is better. Every headset has its pros and cons. 

But yeah, Oculus screwed over its customers with high IPDs.  
    NerveGear
    I general love the Rift S, the Rift S has all what i need, no external sensors, sharp view when I look straight forward to use it in flightsims . But with my IPD I need to adjust the Rift S exactly to my nose to get the best view in the middle .  But against your assumption, my eyes go automaticly in this direction , where I want to  look to and then see the blur. For example on car racing sims.

At the moment I have no alternate HMD. The Index with external sensors is no Option to me. As I am playing  sitting at my desk and this is the best solution for me.

Why Oculus not used manual IPD adjustment like on the old one or the quest ?
    lars1969 said:
    I general love the Rift S, the Rift S has all what i need, no external sensors, sharp view when I look straight forward to use it in flightsims . But with my IPD I need to adjust the Rift S exactly to my nose to get the best view in the middle .  But against your assumption, my eyes go automaticly in this direction , where I want to  look to and then see the blur. For example on car racing sims.

At the moment I have no alternate HMD. The Index with external sensors is no Option to me. As I am playing  sitting at my desk and this is the best solution for me.

Why Oculus not used manual IPD adjustment like on the old one or the quest ?
    The only reason I don't return my Rift-S and wait for the Index is Stormland and Asgard's Wrath and also Lone Echo 2. 

But give the Rift-S time. Play around with the adjustment. It grows on you. 

If they had simply offered a premium version with IPD adjustment and headphones, I wouldn't even buy the Index. 
    NerveGear
    There is no time...the IPD issue can't be fixed
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 1,860 Valuable Player
    Ya, you cannot mechanically adjust ipd with a single screen headset like the Rift S.  It can only be adjusted with software and this may or may not work well for some.

You need 2x screens to do this like the original Rift cv1.

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti (from my old AGA), 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro, Vive Cosmos, Vive Wireless.