cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Black screen solution for those getting out of oculus than back in

inovator
Consultant
I know there are threads about this but I was so impressed with this solution I had to put this on its own thread. This may not work on black screen that happens when u first set up but should if you have my described problem. I saw a u tube video that said on windows 10 go to USB selective system settings. Then select disable. I did then shut the pc down restarted. I did this yesterday. Then I went in and out of oculus 5 times and all was good. I hope this helps.
10 REPLIES 10

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

inovator said:

I know there are threads about this but I was so impressed with this solution I had to put this on its own thread. This may not work on black screen that happens when u first set up but should if you have my described problem. I saw a u tube video that said on windows 10 go to USB selective system settings. Then select disable. I did then shut the pc down restarted. I did this yesterday. Then I went in and out of oculus 5 times and all was good. I hope this helps.

Maybe you can explain this in a little more detail and provide the YT link?

I'm not sure whether you mean to just disable usb power saving options in power plans and/or device manager usb properties or something else, like disabling the usb ports?  Thanks.

i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

inovator
Consultant

TomCgcmfc said:

inovator said:

Maybe you can explain this in a little more detail and provide the YT link?

I'm not sure whether you mean to just disable usb power saving options in power plans and/or device manager usb properties or something else, like disabling the usb ports?  Thanks.

https://youtu.be/vrfjD3jwqJs

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm testing the 2 Generic Hubs installed by Oculus. One of those is the SuperSpeed Hub with the other below it. Deselecting "Allow this computer to turn off..." and REBOOTING.

inovator
Consultant
Sounds good let us know what works for u if anything.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Tested and had a crash in PokerstarsVR (unsure if crashes are only RIFT S). Due to the deselection of above 2 HUBs it could not power the headset back up even after several Beta>Restarts and even REBOOTS! Even once Selected again I had to go through the Setup Rift Procedure for setting up Guardian. As I suspected that is really not a good idea as I don't was other USB Devices to stay awake either if I had used the above YouTube clip method of Disable Selective Suspend!

inovator
Consultant

MAC_MAN86 said:

Tested and had a crash in PokerstarsVR (unsure if crashes are only RIFT S). Due to the deselection of above 2 HUBs it could not power the headset back up even after several Beta>Restarts and even REBOOTS! Even once Selected again I had to go through the Setup Rift Procedure for setting up Guardian. As I suspected that is really not a good idea as I don't was other USB Devices to stay awake either if I had used the above YouTube clip method of Disable Selective Suspend!

Bad news even though I could turn oculus off and  turn it back on with no black screen I played contactors bought in oculus home and after about 30 minutes in the middle of a match it went black. I'm strongly considering returning it  to amazon and waiting a few months until this is resolved. 
All they send me is canned responses because of the massive ticket numbers they must be getting.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Try using another Audio Source for now.

inovator
Consultant
I'm getting audio. What happened is after I thought it was fixed I was playing the fps contractors and suddenly in the middle of a shooting match the screen went black.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I would encourage anyone experiencing intermittent black screen issues to consider returning for replacement if you purchased from an outlet that will take care of that.
I messed around with the black screen issue since getting my Rift S on the 21st. Hoping it might get fixed in a software/firmware update. Opened a support ticket shortly after receiving  and the time between correspondences was horrendous. Several days
Friday it finally totally died on me.
It is headed back to Amazon for replacement.
Hoping I have better luck with it.