New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Black screen solution for those getting out of oculus than back in

inovatorinovator Posts: 2,235 Valuable Player
I know there are threads about this but I was so impressed with this solution I had to put this on its own thread. This may not work on black screen that happens when u first set up but should if you have my described problem. I saw a u tube video that said on windows 10 go to USB selective system settings. Then select disable. I did then shut the pc down restarted. I did this yesterday. Then I went in and out of oculus 5 times and all was good. I hope this helps.

Comments

• TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 1,835 Valuable Player
    edited June 2019
    inovator said:
    I know there are threads about this but I was so impressed with this solution I had to put this on its own thread. This may not work on black screen that happens when u first set up but should if you have my described problem. I saw a u tube video that said on windows 10 go to USB selective system settings. Then select disable. I did then shut the pc down restarted. I did this yesterday. Then I went in and out of oculus 5 times and all was good. I hope this helps.
    Maybe you can explain this in a little more detail and provide the YT link?

I'm not sure whether you mean to just disable usb power saving options in power plans and/or device manager usb properties or something else, like disabling the usb ports?  Thanks.

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti (from my old AGA), 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro, Vive Cosmos, Vive Wireless.

• inovatorinovator Posts: 2,235 Valuable Player
    TomCgcmfc said:
    inovator said:
    Maybe you can explain this in a little more detail and provide the YT link?

I'm not sure whether you mean to just disable usb power saving options in power plans and/or device manager usb properties or something else, like disabling the usb ports?  Thanks.

• MAC_MAN86MAC_MAN86 Posts: 2,262
    Wintermute
    I'm testing the 2 Generic Hubs installed by Oculus. One of those is the SuperSpeed Hub with the other below it. Deselecting "Allow this computer to turn off..." and REBOOTING.
    Sounds good let us know what works for u if anything.
    Wintermute
    edited June 2019
    Tested and had a crash in PokerstarsVR (unsure if crashes are only RIFT S). Due to the deselection of above 2 HUBs it could not power the headset back up even after several Beta>Restarts and even REBOOTS! Even once Selected again I had to go through the Setup Rift Procedure for setting up Guardian. As I suspected that is really not a good idea as I don't was other USB Devices to stay awake either if I had used the above YouTube clip method of Disable Selective Suspend!
    MAC_MAN86 said:
    Tested and had a crash in PokerstarsVR (unsure if crashes are only RIFT S). Due to the deselection of above 2 HUBs it could not power the headset back up even after several Beta>Restarts and even REBOOTS! Even once Selected again I had to go through the Setup Rift Procedure for setting up Guardian. As I suspected that is really not a good idea as I don't was other USB Devices to stay awake either if I had used the above YouTube clip method of Disable Selective Suspend!
    Bad news even though I could turn oculus off and  turn it back on with no black screen I played contactors bought in oculus home and after about 30 minutes in the middle of a match it went black. I'm strongly considering returning it  to amazon and waiting a few months until this is resolved. 
    All they send me is canned responses because of the massive ticket numbers they must be getting.
    Wintermute
    Try using another Audio Source for now.
    I'm getting audio. What happened is after I thought it was fixed I was playing the fps contractors and suddenly in the middle of a shooting match the screen went black.
  • dburnedburne Posts: 3,190 Valuable Player
    I would encourage anyone experiencing intermittent black screen issues to consider returning for replacement if you purchased from an outlet that will take care of that.
    I messed around with the black screen issue since getting my Rift S on the 21st. Hoping it might get fixed in a software/firmware update. Opened a support ticket shortly after receiving  and the time between correspondences was horrendous. Several days
    Friday it finally totally died on me.
    It is headed back to Amazon for replacement.
    Hoping I have better luck with it.

Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
    dburne said:
    I would encourage anyone experiencing intermittent black screen issues to consider returning for replacement if you purchased from an outlet that will take care of that.
    I messed around with the black screen issue since getting my Rift S on the 21st. Hoping it might get fixed in a software/firmware update. Opened a support ticket shortly after receiving  and the time between correspondences was horrendous. Several days
    Friday it finally totally died on me.
    It is headed back to Amazon for replacement.
    Hoping I have better luck with it.

So your the only one I heard where it died completely. That's real bad luck. I won't late u place a bet for me in vegas.