For those with two monitors and black screen issues in Rift S ! — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

For those with two monitors and black screen issues in Rift S !

dburnedburne Posts: 2,594 Valuable Player
I have struggled with black screen issues since getting my Rift S on May 21st.
I have finally resolved the issue for me.
 My black screens would always happen after a boot up of PC, and the second time I would launch Oculus Home in same session. It would take either 
a reboot of PC or restart of Oculus service 3 times to get it back. Or unplugging and plugging back in the connectors for Rift S.

I have solved my issue yesterday evening. First on a whim, I shut down PC and unplugged my secondary monitor from GPU.
Voila, no more black screen - image came back each and every time I closed and opened Oculus Home or after a reboot of PC. No black screen at all. But it
only worked by having that secondary monitor unplugged from GPU.

Now my secondary monitor had an HDMI connector, and I was using a display port adapter to plug into my GPU. I had also tried with it plugged into HDMI on my GPU 
but the black screen issue persisted. So this morning I tried by plugging my secondary monitor into the C-Port on my 2080 Ti. Now it seems to work every
time as well, by having that configuration! So I can once again have both monitors running and no black screens in Rift S.
 I will see how it goes throughout the next few days, but I am feeling fairly positive now on this one being solved for me.

So if you have two monitors and are struggling with the same black screen in headset issue, give this a try. 
Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case|

Comments

• MowTinMowTin Posts: 1,606
    Project 2501
    Interesting. I have 3 monitors. I'll try this. 
    i7 6700k 2080ti   Rift-S, Index
  • sraurasraura Posts: 589
    Trinity
    edited June 11
    dburne said:
     My black screens would always happen after a boot up of PC, and the second time I would launch Oculus Home in same session. It would take either 
    a reboot of PC or restart of Oculus service 3 times to get it back.
    Interesting... Maybe this is why I sometimes have to kill my OVRRedir and/or OVRserver_x64 1-3 times like stated here: https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/comment/687733/#Comment_687733
    I am also running 2 monitors, but they are connected to DVI and HDMI ports of the GPU. Other monitor is mostly off. With this setup at least I am _not_ experiencing same trigger that you do. Couldn't get Oculus app/Oculus home to "crash" right after boot or after multible restarts of the application. Also seemed to work fine while extending desktop to both monitors. Oculus desktop viewer was happy to let me choose which desktop I want display there.
    ...need to investigate further - may still be related somehow...
    Nice catch anyways.