Oculus Rift suddenly lagging — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Oculus Rift suddenly lagging

CousinNicCousinNic Posts: 4
NerveGear

so I've been running my rift successfully for roughly two years with no problems, one day after taking a while off i opened a game and the lag was ridiculous.after doing some troubleshooting i found out in the home screen it runs fine but when i do something like load up a game or change graphics in a game, really anything that could cause a lag spike in game will cause the spike but the lag wont fade like it should. even when i quit the game it continues to lag back in the home screen and jump the screen around until i restart Oculus.

i have no idea whats doing this, i'm running three sensors on 3.0 slots and have an intell i7 7700k and gtx 1060 6gb with 16gb of ram. i just tried the compatibility check and the specs still exceed recommended, it does this whether i'm using steam vr or a game off oculus.

any help would be appreciated, thanks.
Tagged:

Comments

• sraurasraura Posts: 446
    Trinity
    Don't want to paint the worst picture, but past in the day I had similar symptoms with one graphics card - which then month or 2 later died permanently. It had previously overheated once because of broken fan and that somehow broke the internal temperature sensor. After that random faulty temp readings caused the slowdowns (internal protection changed clockspeed) and eventually bricked the card.

Anyhow probably is not related - just wanted to mention as symptom was so similar. Didn't happen with Rift tho.
  • CousinNicCousinNic Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    Don't want to paint the worst picture, but past in the day I had similar symptoms with one graphics card - which then month or 2 later died permanently. It had previously overheated once because of broken fan and that somehow broke the internal temperature sensor. After that random faulty temp readings caused the slowdowns (internal protection changed clockspeed) and eventually bricked the card.

Anyhow probably is not related - just wanted to mention as symptom was so similar. Didn't happen with Rift tho.
    thanks for your help as it seems not many people wanted to help, but luckily I guess the one thing i didnt check was the driver. so i had an outdated driver causing major issues for months. I just installed the latest and now it lag spikes where it should but smooths out right after.
  • sraurasraura Posts: 446
    Trinity
    Nice to hear you found the problem. Happy gaming :)