cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Space Shot

Ananas
Explorer
Made this short demo after testing how it would feel to be launched high into air and got some nice vertigo.

Sorry for the simple and empty look, I put this together in a day and I have other projects to focus on. Also the mechanics and animations are sometimes a bit dodgy, so just reset the game if the ride seems too slow or gets stuck. It should go up 3 times and the whole ride lasts about 30 seconds. The height of the tower is about 115m.

Controls:
Space = Start
r = Reset scene
m = Oculus menu
b = reset view

I runs well with high resolution and medium quality on my rig (7850). Models and sounds are not mine. Credits in readme file. Linux and Mac version aren't tested, and I doubt they work as well as the Windows version but you can give it a try.

Downloads:
PC Version 1.0
Linux Version 1.0
Mac Version 1.0
6 REPLIES 6

FictionX
Honored Guest
Works fine in Linux (why wouldn't it? 😉 ).. Thanks!

The catapult and the platform is pretty good, and I like the fact that I have a body instead of just being a floating head.

It's also a nice detail that "my" legs stretch out on the way down, and the animation/effect is well made - but I'm not sure if it adds to the immersion or if it takes away from it - since my own legs obviously isn't moving.

One issue that I always have with demos such as this is with scale. It's hard to get the feeling of being somewhere or get a sense of where you are in relation to other objects, if you brain can't instantly relate to those objects. The house closest to the catapult has the texture of a ten story building, but size-wise it looks like a two or three story building (or maybe that's just me?).
So right from the start my brain is a little confused, and when it's like that, it usually just dismisses the whole thing and goes "nope.. not real" 🙂

A couple of the other buildings look fine, though - and it's definitely not a bad experience. Thanks for sharing it!

drash
Heroic Explorer
For something done in a day, the experience itself is very polished! Although the landscape looks simple, I appreciate that you've got an expansive landscape with discernable details (along with the nearby buildings) to more fully appreciate your height as you go up and down on the ride.

I've never ridden a ride like this one in reality, so I was actually expecting a slow rise to the top before a fall. A slow rise could be great for building more anticipation, and thus heightening the sense of the fall. For me, I didn't feel the fall so much, and I think this could also be due to my virtual torso being too tall for me, and thus there was no way for my brain to believe that it was me sitting in that seat?

Thanks for sharing this! 🙂
  • Titans of Space PLUS for Quest is now available on DrashVR.com

Anonymous
Not applicable
link dont work

nn23
Explorer
PC, MAC and Linux, all working here.

grodenglaive
Honored Guest
simple, but works well. I like how your legs stick out on the way down.
GA-Z97X-gaming gt; i5-4670k; Nvidia780Ti; 16GB PC3-17066; win7-64 bit; DK2

Ananas
Explorer
Thanks all for feedback. Nice to know at least some people have enjoyed this.

"FictionX" wrote:
The house closest to the catapult has the texture of a ten story building, but size-wise it looks like a two or three story building (or maybe that's just me?).

Yeah the scenery really looks bad. It was just some random miniature cityscape I found. It would look better from afar, but I tried it and it felt a little weird to have a single theme park ride in the middle of nothing. Maybe I'll do something about it sometime.

"drash" wrote:
I've never ridden a ride like this one in reality, so I was actually expecting a slow rise to the top before a fall. A slow rise could be great for building more anticipation, and thus heightening the sense of the fall. For me, I didn't feel the fall so much, and I think this could also be due to my virtual torso being too tall for me, and thus there was no way for my brain to believe that it was me sitting in that seat?

Too bad! I've seen those too, but the one I grew up going at was the like in this demo. Those which go up slowly seem too boring for me 😄