cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Real life POV videos for the Rift

Skaven252
Explorer
I wanted to try how well the Rift works as a viewing device for real life POV video footage, and also how well this works together with binaural sound.

(USE HEADPHONES; make YouTube full screen, clone your desktop to Rift; head tracking not needed)

Liked these? Here are some details:

• The POV footage was shot with two head-mounted VIO POV.HD cameras

• The audio was recorded with binaural ear microphones

• The winter day footage was shot with a hand-held camera array with binaural silicone earlobes

• The fisheye warp of the action camera matches with the Rift lenses well enough so that it looks more or less rectilinear - no Rift warping needed

• Horizontal offset and Keystone had to be adjusted quite heavily in edit to make it look natural on the Rift (I'm using Sony Vegas Movie Studio for editing)

• Head tracking not used, because the binaural sound and the image must stay locked together and cannot be decoupled (this makes a HMD the ideal way to view these videos)

I'll be posting more videos to this thread (and linking them to this message) as I get the Rift compliant versions done and rendered.
2 REPLIES 2

Jeppe
Honored Guest
Wow, I really enjoyed those two videos, especially the Stockholm one. The rollercoaster were a bit to bumpy for me... Both were pretty nauseating though. Although both looked really great on the Rift, good job!

The Stockholm video was really immersive I think. The sound definitely added a lot to the experience.

Skaven252
Explorer
Thanks for the feedback! Yes - when you're at the camera person's whims and have to watch whatever they turn their heads to, it can feel unnatural with the Rift. Also, I noticed that if you turn your head while viewing, it feels like your head is rotating the world around you, which is quite dizzy. I guess the only thing you can do is to keep your head still while watching. 🙂

Here's a new video (also added to the first post):
Running, climbing in monkey bars (Vanadislunden park, Stockholm, Sweden)