Hoping I've done the right thing... — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Hoping I've done the right thing...

ElusiveMarlinElusiveMarlin Posts: 271
Nexus 6
edited June 6 in Oculus Rift S and Rift

Well, I've gone and done it.

Sold my Rift CV1 on ebay for £270 and ordered a Rift S.

Not bad considdering I've had it 18 months and used it 3 or 4 times a week, every week, in that time, and I paid £350 for it!

Was sold on the improved optics of the Rift S. I'm just a little concerned at the number of people complaining about Black Screens/Cable Enumeration and slow tracking/Release of Grab issues.

My take is that people generally only voice an opinion when it is negative and all the positive experiences go "under the radar".

I wil post an update once I'm all setup and hopefully it will be a positive experience. fingers crossed

RIFT CV1
RIFT S

Leeds, UK.

Intel Core i7 8700K 3.7GHz | RAM 32GB DDR4 2666MHz | GeForce GTX 1080 8GB |
240GB SATA III SSD | 3TB HDD | 867Mbps Built-in Wi-Fi

"Behind every mask there is a face, and behind that a story...."

Comments

• RattyUKRattyUK Posts: 913
    3Jane

Well, I've gone and done it.

Sold my Rift CV1 on ebay for £270 and ordered a Rift S.

Not bad considdering I've had it 18 months and used it 3 or 4 times a week, every week, in that time, and I paid £350 for it!

Was sold on the improved optics of the Rift S. I'm just a little concerned at the number of people complaining about Black Screens/Cable Enumeration and slow tracking/Release of Grab issues.

My take is that people generally only voice an opinion when it is negative and all the positive experiences go "under the radar".

I wil post an update once I'm all setup and hopefully it will be a positive experience. fingers crossed

True, positive posts tend to be drowned out under the more vociferous forumites :)

Good price for the  rift...

My S has been pretty much sorted by the firmware updates and the latest PTC release - it is only the 10 Right Touch Controllers currently listed that bothers me :)

It is fussy...
    PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, MSI MPG X570 Edge, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, KFA2 RTX 2080 Super, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Antec Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15.1 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.

Laptop: Aorus X5 V6-CF1 (I7-6820HK, GTX 1070, 2* 256GB M.2 NVME, 1TB 7200 HDD)
  • ElusiveMarlinElusiveMarlin Posts: 271
    Nexus 6
    edited June 11

OK so after getting he Rift S this weekend, I can say that I am overall very happy with it.

Setup was simple, had to redo the guardian system, but that is a given. (Nice touch with the floor height adjustment too.)

The passthough live view was a lot grainier than I thought it would/should be, (not really sure why it has to be like that as I wouldn't have thought passing the native colour image through would have been difficult, just like any webcam today does?)

Tracking of the hand controllers was really impressive, even with them straight down by my side.

I did notice a slight latteral tracking issue where by at certain points in my head rotation there would be a very small "jump" in position, like a 5mm catchup of the tracking info. The odd thing was it was always in the same place during the rotation.  It did not matter if I was turning left-right or right left, it ALWAYS jumped at the same position. This was never evident on the CV1.  Having said that, it didn't deter my enjoyment while gaming.

My take is this may have something to do with my room having a relatively blank cieling, so the HMD cameras have very little points of interest to lock onto for tracking? if anyone knows more, I'd be glad to find out.

I played Skyrim for over an hour, and did have 2 CTD events during that time, more than I ever had on my CV1, but restarting was easy and the same place did not result in another crash... will have to monitor the frequency. 

The clarity was evident from the getgo, much smoother/less graduated fog elements and the books are much much easier on the eye. Allover texture detail also much clearer. Fabulous!!

The grab/release lag I have seen mention of was not evident on my rig, so not sure what is going on there with other peoples systems. 

I have not had any flashes of white/static or black screens either, so guess I am a "lucky one" at the moment.

So far, I am  really pleased with the Rift S, just awaiting the next gen for the FOV increase!    (Hopefully!)

RIFT CV1
    RIFT S

Leeds, UK.

Intel Core i7 8700K 3.7GHz | RAM 32GB DDR4 2666MHz | GeForce GTX 1080 8GB |
    240GB SATA III SSD | 3TB HDD | 867Mbps Built-in Wi-Fi

"Behind every mask there is a face, and behind that a story...."