New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

HP Reverb First Impressions Thread (Gen 1)

Comments

• RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,676 Valuable Player
    edited June 28
    FX2K said:
    I was told something different.. nothing new there :pensive:

Thank you for your email.

The only information that we have is that we are due stock around the end of July.

We do not have any details regarding a new model yet.

That's because there are different departments saying different things.
  • kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 4,711 Valuable Player
    Seeing whats happening with Lenovo/Oculus over the Rift-S I can understand the much smaller team at HP being incredibly "trigger-shy" to release the final Reverb. I wonder if they will consider a longer wait and more intense redesign, borrow from the recent Rift-S tracking software update - or will limit roll-out to try and manage the optics of the situation?
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,428 Volunteer Moderator
    Whatever they do they still had me at that resolution. I'll re purchase as soon as they call me down the line :)
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

Glad that it ticked your boxes @Techy111, and hope they can get a new version out to you - have worked with the HP team and they seem motivated, and a number in our industry have decided to go with Reverb.
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
  • Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,745 Valuable Player
    Yeh I am not convinced the Index matches the clarity of the Reverb. Sure the mura might affect the clarity, but this is subjective and dependant on the type of content used. So including that as a negative against the resolution isn't a uniform argument as far as I am concerned. It would be interesting to hear what the thoughts are of someone who owns an Index and a Reverb who isn't MRTV.

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
    edited June 29
    Well I'm looking for an upgrade that will justify my Geforce 2080ti purchase. Rift S is just to lower a resolution for me now and Valve index is expensive and only has a slightly better resolution then the Rift S. So HP Reverb ticks my box for having a much better resolution.
    Not many VR companies are catering for us geforce 2080ti owners apart from HP, so they will get my money when they iron out the problems with the HP Reverb. I'm just a bit pished off not knowing when I am going to get the HP Reverb because different departments just say different things.
    You'll get one soon mate, this year is my guess lol
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

edited June 29
    Techy111 said:
    You'll get one soon mate, this year is my guess lol
    I bet if I rang HP sales they would say they were expecting them early July. That's what they told me before passing me through to another department who told me a new model is in the works and that it's usually November for new models.
    When I heard the guy say November I wanted to :'(
    I don't know what's worse though, experiencing HP Reverb like you and going back to CV1, or not experiencing it at all and having to wait to see it. I guess it's worse for you having to go back to having no glasses on :D
    Lol yup the difference in DCS and.... well all my sims, I feel like I'm slumming it lol my personal guess is August 11th at tea time for the new model ;)

It will be interesting to see if the Cosmos with its higher spec than Index is a worthy contender all things considered against the Reverb. With so many pies to dip into now I suspect the wait for the Cosmos won't be that bad seeing as all the enthusiasts are spread out now between Rift S, Pimax 8/5K, Index and Reverb.

edited June 29
    I bet HTC are wondering what kind of "Western" market Cosmos is walking into. After the surprise of the HP Reverb they went back and redressed a number of issues. They knew about Index on the horizon, and Cosmos was meant to positioning themselves against that and the WinMR alternatives - its just that looking at what has so far befallen Rift-S - they must be wondering if the market is becoming confused and if there is a strong buyer base?
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    The market is like the after effects of this Kevin.

The market is like the after effects of this Kevin.

I was thinking more this:

P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    edited June 29
    Something you want to tell us about your married life @Techy111B)

P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
  • hoppingbunny123hoppingbunny123 Posts: 588
    Trinity
    edited June 30
    Techy111 said:
    The 1st is best left alone but the 2nd one is going good so far ta ;)
    thats nice. if the second one fails stay single your ruined from too many women. probably why the first one failed too. so with that in mind if things arent as good as either of you expect thats what happens from too many relationships before marriage and just be happy with each other cause the grass isnt greener on the other side.

I really would like to hear what is happening with the HP Reverb. Why don't they announce something instead of just saying different things when you ring and ask when the headset will be back in stock. Looking at all the sites it was supposed to sell on doesn't make for good reading.

• WildtWildt Posts: 2,016 Valuable Player
    edited August 7
    Just to end my Reverb story, I ended up using (most of) the refund money on a 2nd hand PS4 Pro with PSVR and move+aim controllers, plus all the desirable exclusive VR titles (and a lot of pancakes too) .

Hooked it up last night and spent a bit of time with Farpoint..   The aim controller feels great here, and it seems like the game I hoped Seeking Dawn would've been! 
    PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
    PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
    WMR: HP Reverb
    Yeh HP still hasn't got its act together with regards to releasing a revised headset.  Good move on the PSVR as it has many great games regardless of its specs and inferior tracking tech. Will you consider another HP once they re-release without issues?

I really want to play some of the PlayStation VR titles, but I'm waiting for PS 5 and PS VR -2 now. That is a must buy for me even though I am missing my Plantation 4 and Red Dead redemption 2.
    Still waiting patiently for the reverb to be released again and a call from HP with my 50 quid off offer.

• WildtWildt Posts: 2,016 Valuable Player
    edited August 8
    Will you consider another HP once they re-release without issues?
    I'm keeping an open mind. Whoever (HP included) comes out with a killer PCVR HMD will get my money :)

After using the PSVR a bit I must say that I REALLY hope there will be more OLED HMDs coming out. It's REALLY impressive how pitch black things can get in this thing, with it's little rubber flap nose gap that shuts out all light.
    PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
    PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
    WMR: HP Reverb
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 3,483 Valuable Player
    edited August 8
    RedRizla said:
    Well I'm looking for an upgrade that will justify my Geforce 2080ti purchase. Rift S is just to lower a resolution for me now and Valve index is expensive and only has a slightly better resolution then the Rift S. So HP Reverb ticks my box for having a much better resolution.
    Not many VR companies are catering for us geforce 2080ti owners apart from HP, so they will get my money when they iron out the problems with the HP Reverb. I'm just a bit pished off not knowing when I am going to get the HP Reverb because different departments just say different things.

You may underestimate the power of fov - res is awesome using the Index, but the fov really makes the difference. CV1 felt like scuba gear yesterday, Index does not. Pretty sure Reverb now would feel like really high-res scuba gear ;-) And you've got the power to run 120 or 144 Hz. Personally I'd consider Reverb if sims were my main focus, because you also get those WMR controllers and the associated tracking  :#
    Or get Reverb + Knuckles + 2 base stations - but it won't be cheap ($1200?) - and you'll still get high res scuba gear ;)

Image result for scuba gear images

Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
    edited August 8
    This HP Reverb headset is a joke. I saw some were released in Australia just recently and I see some people from the USA are still getting them. But I think this is old stock because they go out of stock straight away due to the small numbers these stores get them in at. If this was the updated HP Reverb, I think we would see a lot more stock by now.
    HP UK have never had one in stock now since all of the problems with them.
    It is and should never released in the state it was in. For them to take this long to get them back up to speed means there's some serious revisions going on. 

edited August 8
    Techy111 said:
    Still waiting patiently for the reverb to be released again and a call from HP with my 50 quid off offer.

In case you find the waiting time to be very long, may I recommend a movie?  o:) :blush:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ValveIndex/comments/cnjvyq/120hz_flight_sim_is_awesome/
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

@RuneSR2 damn you Sir. You know I work for Flyinside don't you !!! I have an index on pre-order and if i end up pressing the buy now button when i get my email i blame you. And then you can explain things to my missus damn you ;) double damn you

edited August 8
    Techy111 said:
    @RuneSR2 damn you Sir. You know I work for Flyinside don't you !!! I have an index on pre-order and if i end up pressing the buy now button when i get my email i blame you. And then you can explain things to my missus damn you ;) double damn you

Blame me  :D - I can take it and coincidentally I live far away from your missus!  B)

PS. Don't limit yourself to aeroplanes ;) Jump to 13:30 (dude started filming before he fixed the settings - he's using a 1080 Ti).

edited August 8
    1:05 into the video "Cranky Pants" voice Lmao.
This discussion has been closed.