New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

HP Reverb First Impressions Thread (Gen 1)

Comments

• RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,681 Valuable Player
    I just rang HP for the 5th time in 3 months to ask them about the HP Reverb. I asked why HP hadn't made any announcement about their headset when it is clear there are problems with it. I said it was a bit ridiculous to continue with the same response that it's just out of stock, when it's clear to everyone that there's more to it then it just being out of stock.
    The Guy I spoke with said he would have a word with management and hopefully update the advert on the HP UK website in a couple of weeks time. He said they are constantly receiving calls and emails about the headset and that's when I said it's not fair that HP hasn't announced something by now. I've asked him to ask management to make some announcement at-least, so that gives people the opportunity to buy another headset instead of waiting around thinking the current one is just out of stock.
    I can only hope we hear something soon instead of just being strung along. I just can't believe HP have remained silent for 3 months about this headset.
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 3,489 Valuable Player
    RedRizla said:
    I just can't believe HP have remained silent for 3 months about this headset.
    To me that indicates severe problems - unless HP is about to completely cancel the product, and it doesn't seem so, maybe a reservation system much like the Index approach from Valve could work for the Reverb too and reduce the number of disappointed (potential) customers . 
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
    edited August 12
    RuneSR2 said:
    RedRizla said:
    I just can't believe HP have remained silent for 3 months about this headset.
    To me that indicates severe problems - unless HP is about to completely cancel the product, and it doesn't seem so, maybe a reservation system much like the Index approach from Valve could work for the Reverb too and reduce the number of disappointed (potential) customers . 
    I think if they changed the stupid cable then they are on their way to fixing most of the problems. I'm still not sure why it gets hot though when the website shows it to have good ventilation. The cable seems to be the biggest mistake from what I've read though.
    The Guy did mention they are getting new products in around September, so if we don't see a new HP Reverb by then, I think we can kiss goodbye to it for sometime.
  • WildtWildt Posts: 2,017 Valuable Player
    I know the Reverb team is really small, and they probably have their hands full solving most/all the problems from the misfire launch, but I feel they're making a big mistake not being open about the process and current status.
    It doesn't take a lot of time away from anybody at HP to vastly improve the PR part of this. 

If the relaunch version has a better cable solution, the ones who actually got a working unit now will probably be pretty miffed if they don't get something too (all 50 of them lol).
    PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
    PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
    WMR: HP Reverb
  • Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,747 Valuable Player
    VR and PR don't seem to sit very well with each other in my experience. Notice most of them have a PR problem.

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
  • kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 4,711 Valuable Player
    VR and PR don't seem to sit very well with each other in my experience. Notice most of them have a PR problem.

I have to agree @Shadowmask72 - since the day that one manufacturer used a "figurehead" to lead their PR drive in the VR scene, all the companies have really suffered. I think HTC, OculusVR and Samsung have gone through their own rough patches - but for some reason the current customer-facing PR teams of all the developers seem to drop the ball in unusual ways that would not normally be the case from other B2C operations?
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
  • hoppingbunny123hoppingbunny123 Posts: 588
    Trinity
    the reverb is probably making a adjustable ipd and making is to glasses users can use it.
    edited August 12
    the reverb is probably making a adjustable ipd and making is to glasses users can use it.
    I think they need to fix the headset before attempting to add an ipd adjuster and think about glasses users. They have enough problems trying to get the headset running stable without causing themselves more problems.
    Agree, cant see them making major changes to moulds - more cable and QA issues - and also the issue of tracking tickets on big orders.
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
    edited August 13
    HP has to be one of the worst companies for VR headsets. Not only because the HP Reverb was faulty for most people, but also because of their lack of keeping potential customers informed about what is going on.  I rang them and also sent an email to them. Here's the email reply.

Thank you for contacting HP Online Store.

Unfortunately, we have been asking category to inform us an ETA for this item and we don’t have a specific date that we can provide as of the moment. We don’t have any info available if there will be any VR announcement or any new units coming out.

Apologies.

• Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,428 Volunteer Moderator
    As pointed out, HP's selling the reverb on the US website. Gonna have to be quick if you want one. =

https://store.hp.com/app/pdp/hp-reverb-virtual-reality-headset-professional-edition?jumpid=cp_r12139_us/en/psg/vr_reverb_headset/products/reverb-shop-now

A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

• Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,747 Valuable Player
    edited August 18
    Bit of a gamble this. Not sure if you will get a defective unit or one of the revised stock.  At least when it comes back to the UK it will most certainly be a revised version imo.

I am still tempted to get one of these (again) to then have a direct comparison with the Index.  But then the Vive Cosmos is due in the coming weeks as well or at least should be if it's not delayed. Too many headsets with none offering an overall redeeming quality that puts it above its peers.

Pimax fov
    Index Hz
    Reverb Resolution
    PSVR  Software Support
    Quest  Wireless
    Original Rift Nostalgia lol.

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
    Yeah it's a gamble as you said. I shall wait for the UK one but I'm still tempted. The return would be a nightmare though.
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

• Star-lizardStar-lizard Posts: 341
    Trinity
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 1,389
    Project 2501
    Latest Reverb review.  Does not look too promising;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsYqHfLZWqg&t=683s

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti (from my old AGA), 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors. Vive Cosmos, currently work in progress.

TomCgcmfc said:

I have to agree that this is a disappointment - but fundamentally, being on WinMR is a disappointment.
    For me the Reverb is the headset for those that wanted a CV1 for Enterprise, but for various reasons (and now the end of the line) the alternative is a Reverb. And a number of Enterprise accounts have moved on to this. Not the best, but a strong "supported" alternative to the Vive. 

P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    Let me try to wrap my head around what this Voodoomaxx guy is saying in the link you put up. So he is basically saying that due to high demand this is why the HP Reverb is not in stock -Correct? Not out of stock because they have been fixing all the issues with the headset, is this correct? So this is basically the exact same headset with all the faults unless you get lucky, which most people in here didn't because they were all returned.

I think that's correct mate, the US site had them for sale which lasted about 2 hours before stock had gone. So no fresh reports yet on current status of the HMD.

edited August 22
    TomCgcmfc said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsYqHfLZWqg&t=683s

Tyriel Wood 46 minutes ago Rift s has hands down the best optics out there, still many flaws on that headset as well, but I will suggest it over this for sure.
    I think I'll wait for the HTC Cosmos reviews before I decide. If that's no good then I'll stick to a headset that doesn't have any faults. It's called the Oculus CV1. :)

RedRizla said:
    I think I'll wait for the HTC Cosmos reviews before I decide. If that's no good I'll stick to a headset that deosn't have any faults. It's called the Oculus CV1.

I think the waiting on Cosmos may be paid off in part - and that is the issue, will it be enough?
    I have to agree that the CV1 is still the better platform, just a shame its not available anymore.
    Also heard that Acer has a version of the design similar to the Cosmos so those who hate HTC may have an option.
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    edited August 22
    @kevinw729 - Any idea when we will get to hear about the Acer headset? Doubt it will be in my price range though because isn't it enterprise only?
    The Rift S lack of speakers and lowest resolution out of all the headsets puts me off updating to it. Also the tracking for me isn't as good as CV1. The only thing that's good about Rift S is the lack of Godrays, but others I know will disagree. This is just my opinion though having owned it myself for a week and comparing it to CV1.
    I know HTC Cosmos has inside out tracking, but just want to see if the extra camera on the bottom makes a difference.
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    edited August 22
    kevinw729 said:
    So I guess it's down to the individual when it comes to reviews. I keep telling myself to ignore reviews and just try these headsets myself to see if I like them. However, if this is the same headset without any fixes then it has issues and isn't worth it.
    Agree @RedRizla - I think you will be happy and disappointed in equal amounts. 
    When I tried the Reverb I found it to be a CV1+ in my estimations, not a total upgrade, but better and worse in parts. Much more than what Lenovo achieved. 

P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    When back in the UK stores = Instabuy

• RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 3,489 Valuable Player
    edited August 22
    Seems like some blind dude tested the Reverb:

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/ctn0l4/tried_the_hp_reverb_normal_persons_review/

Kinda baffling he didn't notice more difference to CV1. Maybe some persons really need 200 degrees fov and 16k res to see the difference, lol. Or they need glasses... ;)

Using the CV1 I can now see the SDE everywhere and the scuba mask, really hard to use CV1 unless in space games and apps where sde can't be seen easily. CV1 really feels like 480p compared to something like 1080p, when Index shines the most (ss 200%). Due to the massive sde, colors in the CV1 pop less than the Index, Pyroth309 also stated much the same. But O+ seems to be king of pop due to close to no sde and oled.
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
    @RuneSR2 - I'm still waiting for the guy to say he was mistaken and that he was actually wearing the CV1. They do look very much alike the oculus CV1 & HP Reverb.
  • Star-lizardStar-lizard Posts: 341
    Trinity
    His review

Some more thoughts after playing a bit more today:

• The connecting wire is heavy. In a seated position this is fine, but it can get annoying if you move around too much. On the flip side, the headset itself is surprisingly light.
    • The controllers feel cheap and the buttons for them are in non-ergonomic spots. I have to constantly reach farther than I would think for some of them. However, after setup, if you only want to play Sim games, this is a moot point.
    • The facemask is awesome and blocks out just about all light and lets me breath and doesn't constantly tickle my nose like the Rift does. I did not get VR-face marks after a few hours. This is a big surprising bonus for me.
    • It fits comfortably on my head and hasn't caused any pressure point issues as of a few hours testing.
    • Going from Oculus to WMR is a little step down. The software isn't as well made, and some settings that should be obvious are either hidden or nonexistant. The "home" area is more like a grad school project than a professional environment like Oculus has. Obviously, WMR is a few years behind development for Oculus, so that makes sense.
    • It doesn't need sensors so you can free up a few USB spots on your PC.
    • It can either be set for "seated" or a free-walking experience. I opted for seated to just jump in, and in that mode it keeps your head centered in one spot, with of course 360 range of vision. In Elite, that keeps your head always where it is supposed to be, which is kind of cool. If you want to walk your invisible head around your ship, you'll need to set up the free-walking mode.
    • The graphical fidelity is insane. It really does feel like the same level of detail as on a 1080p monitor. This is absolutely what every VR headset needs to strive for. Stars and nebulae look just as beautiful and full of detail as they do in flatmode. I got into a quick pvp match while testing things out and I could see the Courier's details all the way out to a few km. Up close, every detail is shown in full. The text is crisp- even the settings menus and engineers page with it's tiny text was comfortable to scroll through. The cockpit text and UI is beautiful. I used an Eagle so that I could be up close to it and see just how perfect it is.
    • The downside to all of that beauty is that it takes a toll on your PC. I have an i7-8700k cpu, 32 gb of ram, and an 2080ti. While the majority of the game was smooth as butter, asteroid belts brought down my frame rate to sub 60. Jameson Memorial was a flurry of activity, but frames stayed over 90. I will have to tweak my settings to keep up with the extra hardware that the Reverb offers. I do currently have all settings set to high or ultra.
    To sum up for now: This is the VR headset made for Sim enthusiasts. I cannot imagine downgrading back to the Oculus CV1.
    @Techy111 - It doesn't show as out of stock on that USA site?
    It did yesterday but now its available again.

This discussion has been closed.