HP Reverb First Impressions Thread (Gen 1) - Page 12 — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

HP Reverb First Impressions Thread (Gen 1)

Comments

• RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 3,389 Valuable Player
    edited August 23
    Just checking up again, I think Mr. Wood has gotten better at taking shots - this may show at least the SDE quite nicely comparing Rift-S, Reverb and Index, click to enlarge (very important!):

In this picture Index does seem slightly blurry. When in the sweet spot I don't get that experience at all - it seems razor-sharp. More importantly you can see the fine lines of pixels, so this really shows the (lack of) SDE. More here:

Probably my favorite shot of the SDE in a game - even Reverb has some, but it's very hard to see. Also notice that the more pixels may reduce SDE even further in Reverb and account for the higher brightness and more popping colors (the sky is more white-ish using the Reverb). That said, when everything is moving Reverb and Index don't look far apart. These images are without ss, and of course you may be able to increase ss more on the Index before you hit the same (lower) performance of the Reverb (due to Reverb has many more pixels to render).
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • lensmandavelensmandave Posts: 289
    Nexus 6
    To be honest, these through the lens shots are great when we see what we want to see :)
    Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz. Asus-Z170-PRO MB
    CORSAIR H105 HYDRO CPU COOLER.
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX1080ti. 16GB DDR4 2666MHZ HYPERX SAVAGE.
    SAMSUNG M.2 SSD 128GB SM951 Boot Drive. SAMSUNG SSD 500GB EVO Working Drive.
    Windows 10  64bit Professional
  • SkScotcheggSkScotchegg Posts: 1,231
    Wintermute
    Yeah those screenshots look very promising for Reverb and Index, both look great but Reverb definitely looks better.

This technology is progressing so nicely. I love it.

Imagine how good the next HMD's will be in the future from all manufacturers?

Imagine Index version 2, Rift CV2 and HP Reverb version 2, just imagine!! 2-3 years from now we could have some well sexy headsets! lol  :D
    UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!
    edited August 23
    Yeah those screenshots look very promising for Reverb and Index, both look great but Reverb definitely looks better.

This technology is progressing so nicely. I love it.

Imagine how good the next HMD's will be in the future from all manufacturers?

Imagine Index version 2, Rift CV2 and HP Reverb version 2, just imagine!! 2-3 years from now we could have some well sexy headsets! lol  :D

Agreed, I've been spending some time looking at Index pushing SteamVR ss 200% (=ss 2.0), and the image quality is beyond awesome (17 mill pixels per image, nearly twice Reverb ss 100%), unfortunately only the more simple games like Kin, Angry Birds, Lucky's Tale, First Contact, Thumper, Merry Snowballs etc. work in 90 fps on my oc'ed GTX 1080. I'd say when this image quality (or better) becomes the norm, VR should make everyone happy - at least with the res. I don't feel I need a better HMD than Index, but I'd love a RTX 4180 Super-Duper-Extravaganza to push those pixels in Lone Echo ss 2.0 (Index res, not CV1), lol.   
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

• RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,667 Valuable Player
    @RuneSR2 - The problem with adding a load of Super Sampling is that it's a resource hog. Having a higher resolution would be less of a resource hog then 200% ss, so you might just as well have a better resolution headset. I saw that someone was playing No Mans Sky using a HP Reverb and they were getting good fps.
    edited August 23
    RedRizla said:
    @RuneSR2 - The problem with adding a load of Super Sampling is that it's a resource hog. Having a higher resolution would be less of a resource hog then 200% ss, so you might just as well have a better resolution headset. I saw that someone was playing No Mans Sky using a HP Reverb and they were getting good fps.
    It's indeed a resource hog - I'm at Index ss 100% using NMS, maybe I can go higher, but Shadowmask72 seems to max out at ss 150% using a 2080 Ti, and the jaggies not ss are my main problem in NMS. I don't like the WMR controllers, and I love the giant fov on the Index - I can't go back to the scuba gear, so I don't consider Reverb a true contender to Index. I also like the awesome super-crisp 3D-like sound on the Index - and tracking is the most perfect I've ever tried. 
     If you're happy with the CV1 fov and don't need the WMR controllers, I think Reverb may be an awesome choice. Also 120 Hz are much better than 90 Hz, but I need a faster gpu for 120 Hz - I consider the option of 120+ Hz important, it's another level of presence. 

edited August 23
    RuneSR2 said:
    RedRizla said:
    It's indeed a ressource hog - I'm at Index ss 100% using NMS, maybe I can go higher, but Shadowmask72 seems to max out at ss 150% using a 2080 Ti, and the jaggies not ss are my main problem in NMS. I don't like the WMR controllers, and I love the giant fov on the Index - I can't go back to the scuba gear, so I don't consider Reverb a true contender to Index. I also like the awesome super-crisp 3D-like sound on the Index - and tracking is the most perfect I've ever tried. 
     If you're happy with the CV1 fov and don't need the WMR controllers, I think Reverb may be an awesome choice. Also 120 Hz is so much better than 90 Hz, but I need a faster gpu for 120 Hz - I consider the option of 120+ Hz important, it's another level of presence. 
    I don't mind Fov size the main things I don't like are glare, godrays and screen door. Once I pay off the HP Reverb, I plan on trying to hook up the HP Reverb to some light houses, but only if a better headset hasn't come out by then. Need the fricken HP Reverb to come out before all that though :D
    edited August 23
    RedRizla said:
    RuneSR2 said:
    RedRizla said:
    It's indeed a ressource hog - I'm at Index ss 100% using NMS, maybe I can go higher, but Shadowmask72 seems to max out at ss 150% using a 2080 Ti, and the jaggies not ss are my main problem in NMS. I don't like the WMR controllers, and I love the giant fov on the Index - I can't go back to the scuba gear, so I don't consider Reverb a true contender to Index. I also like the awesome super-crisp 3D-like sound on the Index - and tracking is the most perfect I've ever tried. 
     If you're happy with the CV1 fov and don't need the WMR controllers, I think Reverb may be an awesome choice. Also 120 Hz is so much better than 90 Hz, but I need a faster gpu for 120 Hz - I consider the option of 120+ Hz important, it's another level of presence. 
    I don't mind Fov size the main things I don't like are glare, godrays and screen door. Once I pay off the HP Reverb, I plan on trying to hook up the HP Reverb to some light houses, but only if a better headset hasn't come out by then. Need the fricken HP Reverb to come out before all that though :D
    I also like to play in the dark, lol - having lights on for the tracking never was something I liked. Using Index I turn off all light in the room. Index does have some glare, but I don't notice it - my biggest problem is the lack of deep blacks, but neither Reverb, Cosmos nor Rift-S can fix that. 

edited August 23
    RuneSR2 said:
    RedRizla said:
    RuneSR2 said:
    RedRizla said:
    I also like to play in the dark, lol - having lights on for the tracking never was something I liked. Index does have some glare, but I don't notice it - my biggest problem is the lack of deep blacks, but neither Reverb nor Rift-S can fix that. 
    You won't know the lights are on in the HP Reverb because the nose thing totally blocks the outside light out. Anyways, if I do get it then it can easily go back if it's crap.
    edited August 23
    RedRizla said:
    RuneSR2 said:
    RedRizla said:
    RuneSR2 said:
    RedRizla said:
    I also like to play in the dark, lol - having lights on for the tracking never was something I liked. Index does have some glare, but I don't notice it - my biggest problem is the lack of deep blacks, but neither Reverb nor Rift-S can fix that. 
    You won't know the lights are on in the HP Reverb because the nose thing totally blocks the outside light out. Anyways, if I do get it then it can easily go back if it's crap.
    Maybe it's the equivalent of discussing if Lamborghini is better than Ferrari, lol. I'm into all sorts of games, so controllers and tracking are really important to me. Also - and I know it's like some sort of gambling - I'm counting on Valve to deliver some truly spectacular VR content later this year. To me Index isn't all about what it's now, but what it may soon become, we'll see.  

edited August 23
    RuneSR2 said:
    Maybe it's the equivalent of discussing if Lamborghini is better than Ferrari, lol. I'm into all sort of games, so controllers and tracking are really important to me. Also - and I know it's like some sort of gambling - I'm counting on Valve to deliver some truly spectacular VR content later this year. To me Index isn't all about what it's now, but what it may soon become, we'll see.  
    Good point, but I have to be careful when spending £920 because it would have to last me 3 years at the very least. The rate VR headsets are changing now it wouldn't surprise me if all the current headsets are relics in just a years time due to better VR tech.
    edited September 9
    Just got the HP Reverb and have to say I'm blown away and there's no way this VR Headset is going back. They have fixed the flickering and blank displays at times and playing No Mans Sky at 180% SS in Steam VR looks as sharp as playing it on a 2D monitor. No way can I go lower resolution again now after seeing this.
    I thought the controllers would be terrible and while there certainly not as good as Oculus Controllers they are still very workable and I have no problems with them. I certainly wasn't expecting the resolution to look this good. I'm really lost for words how good it looks.
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,413 Volunteer Moderator
    We did tell you  B) still no news from HP when I can purchase one at my discount offer. How much are they now ??
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

edited September 9
    RedRizla said:
    Just got the HP Reverb and have to say I'm blown away and there's no way this VR Headset is going back. They have fixed the flickering and blank displays at times and playing No Mans Sky at 180% SS in Steam VR looks as sharp as playing it on a 2D monitor. No way can I go lower resolution again now after seeing this.
    I thought the controllers would be terrible and while there certainly not as good as Oculus Controllers they are still very workable and I have no problems with them. I certainly wasn't expecting the resolution to look this good. I'm really lost for words how good it looks.
    Not many games support finger tracking, in many games like Moss, Trover, Beat Saber, NMS, Skyrim etc you'll probably be fine - looking forward to your impressions after 2+ weeks, but great with very positive first impressions! Congrats with a great purchase!

Btw, how is the fov and sound? Also I think HP mentioned to have improved the Bluetooth tracking in the Reverb compared to other WMR hmds, maybe that's what you're experiencing for tracking...

edited September 9
    @Techy111 - I paid £564.86 because I got a 5% discount which HP does. That Sebastian guy that does YouTube videos did a video to say that HP had connected him about the HP Reverb and that it would be available all over Europe in the middle of Sept, so you shouldn't have long to wait. Maybe I got mine earlier because I complained.
    @RuneSR2- I'll be honest with any questions asked. The Fov is more square and not large like the Vavle index, but Fov has never bothered me, so I wasn't paying that much attention to it. I did notice I can see the bottom of the display, but I was that in awe of the resolution it didn't bother me. I don't see it as a distraction when playing games because the resolution is so good.
    I'll have another look at the Fov when I get home because I can't really compare it with CV1 yet. I think it might be slightly bigger then Rift S or the same though.
    Wait till you try a sim mate ;)
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

RedRizla said:
    @Techy111 - I paid £564.86 because I got a 5% discount which HP does. That Sebastian guy that does YouTube videos did a video to say that HP had connected him about the HP Reverb and that it would be available all over Europe in the middle of Sept, so you shouldn't have long to wait. Maybe I got mine earlier because I complained.
    @RuneSR2- I'll be honest with any questions asked. The Fov is more square and not large like the Vavle index, but Fov has never bothered me, so I wasn't paying that much attention to it. I did notice I can see the bottom of the display, but I was that in awe of the resolution it didn't bother me. I don't see it as a distraction when playing games because the resolution is so good.
    I'll have another look at the Fov when I get home because I can't really compare it with CV1 yet. I think it might be slightly bigger then Rift S or the same though.
    I think HP said 114 degrees for fov, so it should be at least similar to CV1. Some said it felt smaller than Rift, but that didn't make much sense to me. If you're not used to a bigger fov, I don't think fov will be an issue. Great that the 2080 Ti lets you push a lot of ss! 

RedRizla said:
    £565 is the same as $700, so it's not exactly inexpensive, but at least a lot cheaper than the $1250 I paid for the Index. Could be fun with the Reverb, but having 2 hmds in SteamVR probably won't go well, and I'm really happy for the Index. 
    Try to use the Reverb for a week, and THEN try to wear the CV1 again  :D   

I will say from my early use of the reverb is it ain't comfortable like CV1 comfortable. It seems to me like it's a little smaller but the screens more than make up for it. When I get mine again I'll be looking to take off the headphones and replace them with something more on/in my ear.

edited September 9
    @RuneSR2 -I actually like the Fov on the HP Reverb because it's not like the binocular look that you get with CV1. This has more of a square look to it which makes it look bigger then CV1 even if it isn't bigger. I've tried a lot of games now just to see what they look like and it's exactly where the resolution for VR needs to be IMO. Elite dangerous in that big station is no-longer blurry like in CV1 -You can see literately everything there is to see really clear.
    The cable on the headset is another story though when using it standing up. I think I'm going to have to use a belt clip to give it some slack to use it when standing. Even if I can't find a way around this though, I'm still keeping it for all the seated experiences because they look great. I also want to take a look at HTC Cosmos for other games, but I honestly don't think I can go down in resolution after seeing this, it makes CV1 look like DK1.
    I'll see what the HTC Cosmos resolution is like, but it's going back if it doesn't look close to the HP Reverb. CV1 is boxed for good now :)
    RedRizla said:
    @RuneSR2 -I actually like the Fov on the HP Reverb because it's not like the binocular look that you get with CV1. This has more of a square look to it which makes it look bigger then CV1 even if it isn't bigger. I've tried a lot of games now just to see what they look like and it's exactly where the resolution for VR needs to be IMO. Elite dangerous in that big station is no-longer blurry like in CV1 -You can see literately everything there is to see really clear.
    The cable on the headset is another story though when using it standing up. I think I'm going to have to use a belt clip to give it some slack to use it when standing. Even if I can't find a way around this though, I'm still keeping it for all the seated experiences because they look great. I also want to take a look at HTC Cosmos for other games, but I honestly don't think I can go down in resolution after seeing this, it makes CV1 look like DK1.
    I'll see what the HTC Cosmos resolution is like, but it's going back if it doesn't look close to the HP Reverb. CV1 is boxed for good now :)
    Yes, it actually made me feel sad, I didn't anticipate not being able to enjoy CV1 after getting the Index, but it happened. CV1 really feels like a nice item from a museum, it feels very old, sadly. I wonder what it'll take to feel the same about the Index, but no I'm sure Reverb won't be enough ;)

edited September 9
    @RuneSR2 -If some company made a HP Reverb with 6 camera's and Oculus controllers then I would be very happy. The only place where HP Reverb fails is the heavy cable when standing. I'm going to look at trying to make a belt clip to take some weight off the cable when standing, but failing that there's plenty of games I'll use it for. DCS World, No Mans Sky, Elite Dangerous, Sky Rim, Fallout 4. I'm sure there's a lot more games to add to that list :)
    For some reason I'm struggling to get Alien Isolation working though, which I was really looking forward to. Any ideas why that might be?
    RedRizla said:
    @RuneSR2 -If some company made a HP Reverb with 6 camera's and Oculus controllers then I would be very happy. The only place where HP Reverb fails is the heavy cable when standing. I'm going to look at trying to make a belt clip to take some weight off the cable when standing, but failing that there's plenty of games I'll use it for. DCS World, No Mans Sky, Elite Dangerous, Sky Rim, Fallout 4. I'm sure there's a lot more games to add to that list :)
    For some reason I'm struggling to get Alien Isolation working though, which I was really looking forward to. Any ideas why that might be?

I haven't tried Alien Isolation yet, currently it's set up for the Rift, but theoretically it should be working fine using the Index. Might test it later this evening. Polybius should be working too with a small hack, but I don't know if anyone but me plays that game.

RedRizla said:

BTW, seems some got it working on the Index, and some had problems:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ValveIndex/comments/ci8nvd/anyone_able_to_get_alien_isolation_to_work_on/

Some of the responses to the thread may provide help...

Come on HP where is mine !!!

Mine is on the way :)

• Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,740 Valuable Player
    Back in stock?

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
    Nope you have to phone them and hassle them mate. I had a great guy help me called Jordan. I got through to him and he said no stock. He phoned me back 10 mins later and said there is stock put aside for peeps like us who returned faulty units. PM me

• Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,740 Valuable Player
    Probably will order one next week if they remain in stock.

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
This discussion has been closed.