New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

HP Reverb First Impressions Thread (Gen 1)

Comments

• hoppingbunny123hoppingbunny123 Posts: 583
    Trinity
    im wondering how techy111 is. if the shipping has picked up their reverb yet?

whats dpd stand for anyway? "we have Dont Pickup (your stuff) Driver"?

• Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,428 Volunteer Moderator
    Nope they said Monday, if they don't show up then I'm gonna drive to their depot at Heathrow and kick some virtual butt !!!!
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

• snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,038 Valuable Player
    Pretty weird though because DPD are usually excellent.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • FertyzorFertyzor Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    My reverb had to go back due to black outs and a flicker in the left eye. 
    The panels were amazing when they worked
    Very comfy and light to wear 
    Sound was not to bad 
    I hated the controllers. The buttons were not in a good position and the track pad was horrid
    Wmr software is clunky and can't hold a candle to oculus software. 
    HP collected it and iv since had my refund 
  • Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 4,804 Valuable Player
    edited June 26
    Haven't been on for a while.  Has anybody got the Reverb working with Oculus games (The Climb etc)?

If they have, how do they run, are controls all correct etc?

Can it be done?  
  • Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,744 Valuable Player
    edited June 26
    News just in.

The Vive Cosmos has an LCD display with a combined 2880x1700 combined resolution (1440x1700 per eye), which is higher than both the Rift S (1280x1440 per eye) and the new Valve Index (1440x1600 per eye). HTC's teaser says "experience VR at 90 fps," presumably indicating a 90 Hz refresh rate—higher than the Rift S (80 Hz) but lower than the Valve Index (120 Hz). 

Not as good as the HP Reverb then and marginally better than the index on res but not on Hz.

*rubs chin. Waits for pricing (or Mr Williams to spill some beans).

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
  • kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 4,693 Valuable Player
    edited June 26
    So the speculation that the HTC Cosmos was just a improved and repackaged Acer OjO 500  seems to be gaining traction.

Whatever the truth, its down to the price and delivery dates.

P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
    See post before yours Kevinw729. Right on cue, but was hoping you had some insight or at least informed speculation as to the price. I think this is going to compete with Rift S but knowing HTC it will be slightly more expensive so my guess is £499.

I heard a rumour of 899 euros from MRTV's insider source...but hey that means it'll probably be over a grand lol
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

See post before yours Kevinw729. Right on cue, but was hoping you had some insight or at least informed speculation as to the price. I think this is going to compete with Rift S but knowing HTC it will be slightly more expensive so my guess is £499.

This is HTC we're talking about here. It'll be £799 lol :D :p
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

HTC already debunked that rumour however, if it is 899 EUROS £799 as Snowdog suggests, then that's too high to compete with the Rift S, Index and HP Reverb.

I was partially joking, but I wouldn't be surprised if they price themselves out of the market yet again. £599 will probably end up being the price.

I'm still holding out for my replacement Reverb.

Am I the only one who finds that bloke's voice REALLY annoying? I don't know what it is, but when I hear that voice I want to punch him in the face lol  :D

Techy111 said:
    Techy111 said:
    Yep it seems HP Reverb is still king of resolution in the lower price bracket. A shame then HP have cocked-up the launch completely. 

• WildtWildt Posts: 2,013 Valuable Player
    snowdog said:
     I don't know what it is, but when I hear that voice I want to punch him in the face lol  :D
    I think that's literally what @Zenbane said too. I only thought it.
    PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
    PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
    WMR: HP Reverb
  • FX2KFX2K Posts: 268
    Nexus 6
    edited June 26
    Well, I was happy to wait for my replacement reverb, roughly 3 weeks worth of waiting to do.
    Today, out of the blue, that's no longer the case.

Thank you for your recent order for the above item.

You may be aware this is currently out of stock, however, due to high demand the estimated date we anticipate new stock arriving has been extended and we have had to cancel your order. I sincerely apologise for this, however, as soon as we have visibility of new stock arriving, we will call you, and you can place a new order, with a £50.00 discount, as a goodwill gesture.

As you opted to pay by debit/credit card, no funds have been captured by HP, and you card issuer will release the authorisation hold in around 3 business days, allowing you access to your money.

I guess there are too many units with defects... because cancelling a replacement due to "high demand" doesn't make sense to me.  Well, that's that then.  Crossed of my list, even though I was impressed by the headset initially.
    CV1: Ordered 6th Jan 2016 - Est Delivery Some time in May...
    DK2: Ordered: 8th of Aug 2014 - Delivered: 14 Oct 2014
    Damn, i paid through PayPal and have heard nothing from them since the return :(

• ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,524 Valuable Player
    Wildt said:
    snowdog said:
     I don't know what it is, but when I hear that voice I want to punch him in the face lol  :D

Right? No idea what it is about MRTV's voice. But it definitely hits the proverbial Brown Note.
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
    FX2K said:

however, due to high demand the estimated date we anticipate new stock arriving has been extended and we have had to cancel your order.

Were you previously given a July 7-14th date when new stock would be available? If not, then that's the general consensus right now. I am on a list to be informed when the new stock comes in so I can re-order. It's looking more likely I will now the Cosmos specs are in the wild. Can't wait to get it back to test some more games when it's working correctly. I am still dreaming of how nice Fallout 4 VR looked and surprised our resident DaftNdirect hasn't bitten the bullet yet.

• TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 1,373
    Project 2501
    edited June 26
    Zenbane said:
    Wildt said:
    snowdog said:

Right? No idea what it is about MRTV's voice. But it definitely hits the proverbial Brown Note.
    Ya, I've given up and unsubscribed to his YT channel now.  Way to much hype and no real or consistent info imho.

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti (from my old AGA), 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors. Vive Cosmos, currently work in progress.

• FX2KFX2K Posts: 268
    Nexus 6
    Shadowmask72 said:
    Were you previously given a July 7-14th date when new stock would be available? If not, then that's the general consensus right now. I am on a list to be informed when the new stock comes in so I can re-order. It's looking more likely I will now the Cosmos specs are in the wild. Can't wait to get it back to test some more games when it's working correctly. I am still dreaming of how nice Fallout 4 VR looked and surprised our resident DaftNdirect hasn't bitten the bullet yet.
    Yeah, was told a replacement should be available around the 9th of July, said I was happy to wait for it, no problems there.  Left them to it, then this email turned up out of the blue.  Also got a return notification, confirming they have it back, but funny enough it said "not in original packaging" even though it was sent back exactly as received, in all original packaging.

Email was worded like I was on a pre-order list, when I wasn't. So need to keep an eye out for my refund now.
    CV1: Ordered 6th Jan 2016 - Est Delivery Some time in May...
    DK2: Ordered: 8th of Aug 2014 - Delivered: 14 Oct 2014
    edited June 26
    Although Mr Ang is most likely a very nice person, I do find his approach akin to a used-car salesman or estate agent (that's real estate agent for the non-UK readers). It's very hard to take him at face-value because he seems to lose objectivity in the heat of the moment and rather than sit on it for a while, posts a video right away and then backtracks at a later date. That hype approach isn't good for those viewing.

That said, I am thankful for the HP Reverb photos he posted pre-release. As they say, a picture speaks a 1000 words.

• dburnedburne Posts: 2,711 Valuable Player
    snowdog said:
    Am I the only one who finds that bloke's voice REALLY annoying? I don't know what it is, but when I hear that voice I want to punch him in the face lol  :D
    Yep I can't watch his videos any longer.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
    Glad it's not just me being a psychopathic nut job then.

By the way, if any of you lot call me a psychopathic nut job I'll smash yer faces in and eat your eyeballs.

You seem to be in a growing consensus. Following the issues being reported with Rift-S I think some are looking at what would hurt jumping ship to HTC (obviously they do not have good memories!)

I agree that the price and support is the killer - we have heard little from HTC that suggests a $799 price point (as stated by Snowdog) so they want to keep this quiet to elevate "Sticker-Shock" - this would throw a lot of people into Valves arms!

or

There is also the other issue of Valve>HTC - if the love-affair is over then access to content will be limited to VivePort with SteamVR being a after thought (also missing our on Knuckles?) This could place some barriers up towards mass community support - though as with Vive Pro and Focus, HTC has looked at high price hardware with an Asian focus initially.
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
    All I know, whatever the price, whatever the headset, whatever the platform, VR is struggling at the mo unless somebody pulls their finger out of their arse and sorts things out. Pricing, QC and cross compatibility are some of the biggest issues.

Consumer VR seems to have come to a cross-roads indeed @Techy111.

From an outsiders looking in to the community, they see some interesting games, but a confused message - especially now with HTC and Valve acting so coy about hardware that is expensive.

Just when the initiative by Oculus VR could be seen as a valid path, partnering with Lenovo towards a cost-effective entry level PC VR system, and we see that opportunity suffering yet again under issues with QC, spec and reliability (the ghost of the CV1 launch returns). That said those that have working Rift-S are doing a great job champion the platform.  

But for the High-end VR community (and Enterprise), the issue may be more about high-end, high performance, rather than a cost effective "side-grade"...
    ....and as always the all important "Killer App!"

P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,669 Valuable Player
    edited June 26
    HTC already said it's not going to be $900 because that's to high. I'm thinking if it comes in at $600 then it's probably worth it considering what you get over Rift S. Higher resolution displays or display at 90Hz instead of 80Hz. You also get headphones and also an Ipd adjustment that will please a lot of people 
    The extra camera below the headset might just fix the tracking problem with FPS, which is what totally put me off Rift S. Obviously build quality also counts, but pricing also counts if it want's to compete with Rift S.
    If the price is right then I think it looks like a good headset, it has everything people were asking for that is missing on the Rift S.
This discussion has been closed.