HP Reverb First Impressions Thread (Gen 1) - Page 3 — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

HP Reverb First Impressions Thread (Gen 1)

Comments

• Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,371 Volunteer Moderator
    I haven't got openxr yet, been too busy having fun !!!
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

• RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,579 Valuable Player
    edited June 12
    The HP Reverb looks like it's suffering with some problems now. What with Rift S blank screens and white flashes, I thought 3 years on from Rift CV1 that things like that would be a thing of the past. My Rift CV1 has never had these issues with the displays.
    Have any of you had these issues with the HP Reverb?

• kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 4,619 Valuable Player
    RedRizla said:
    The HP Reverb looks like it's suffering with some problems now. What with Rift S blank screens and white flashes, I thought 3 years on from Rift CV1 that things like that would be a thing of the past. My Rift CV1 has never had these issues with the displays.
    Have any of you had these issues with the HP Reverb? 

Been hearing the reports - saw some comments on the VR-Cade forum that there are issues [what RTVR based their report on] and they will enact a call back - shame.

You are right, hopes with the likes of Sony and Samsung in the game the build quality would have been better - seems the small margins means you get the B-team!
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
    edited June 12
    I pre -ordered the HP Reverb. Their Customer service tell me they will be back in stock at the end of June in the UK, but I feel like pulling the plug on it until some of these companies get their act together. Yes I have a 2 year warrenty, but I don't want to have to keep sending something back if it's flaky.
    Why are these headsets having all these faults? Do these companies even test them or are we still beta testers like we were in the Dk1 & Dk2 days? I get that people only come to the forums if there are faults a lot of the time and there might be good headsets out there, but these faults sound like hardware faults or design faults if you ask me.
    @Kevin729 - I thought they had already recalled them once? So is this the second time they are doing it?
    Edit: Just saw it's the consumer HP Reverb that some people are having problems with. That's strange though because I thought the only difference between the consumer and pro version was the face padding and an extra cable you get with the pro version.
  • LuciferousLuciferous Posts: 2,078 Valuable Player
    actually my dk1 is still working fine, mind you there was not a lot to go wrong with them then.
  • WildtWildt Posts: 1,962 Valuable Player
    I should be getting mine any day now, but with my luck, I'll most likely get a faulty unit as well. Fingers crosses though.
    PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
    PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
    WMR: HP Reverb (arriving shortly)
  • forestguyforestguy Posts: 167
    Art3mis
    edited June 13
    I recently purchased the HP Reverb and after initially being impressed with the clarity the FOV really got on my nerves, I also have the Quest and it is similar in FOV. People could say what they like about the Pimax but the 130-170 FOV is amazing, I didn’t think I would miss it, it is just not a good trade off. The HP Reverb is physically well built better than the Pimax, however the the Reverb still has issues mine had intermittent blinking, also the sound coming from the headphones was intermittent as well which is not good. Even with the 3rd Party DAS the Pimax sound works as it should, Also the tracking is not very good either. I have actually sent my HP Reverb back today, I’m so pleased they are giving me a refund because nearly £600 is a lot of money. The grass is definitely not always greener. The Quest for me was a better investment, the USP is wireless out the box which is excellent, it is well built and has no issues. The bonus for the quest is as long as you have a good internet connection you can stream PC games wirelessly and trust me it is nearly as good quality as the Vive Pro etc. and it works very well. The Quest is definitely staying.
    edited June 13
    @forestguy - But what is the clarity like when you compare the HP Reverb to the Oculus Quest? I'm guessing the HP Reverb wins hands down does it not?
    I think this intermittent blinking and other things you mention is why HP might be delaying them again imo. HP customer service are very polite, but they are not good at giving you the information you require. The UK based company said they don't know of any problems with the VR headsets and they will be back in stock at some point in the future. When I said they told me yesterday that they would be in stock by the end of June. They just said they didn't know when they would be back in stock now.
    I thanked them for letting me make a decision on getting a Geforce 2080ti early, When they in-fact they didn't know when they would be back in stock or when these problems would be ironed out with their headsets. Now my Geforce 2080ti just sits here doing nothing because I don't even have a 4k television. I could have waited for the Super thing that's coming from Nvidia had I known that HP were going to give me the run around.
    What I would like to know is why HP are telling RTVR one thing and their customers another thing?

Art3mis
    @RedRizla ; Clarity is definitely better on the  HP Reverb than the Oculus Quest, the resolution is the best i've experienced on any headset, however I don't think that the trade off is that great considering the issues I highlighted. The other issue I forgot to mention was the horrible thick wire which really is off putting even for a seated experience. Also although the headset itself is relatively light and comfortable, the software orientated IPD only goes up to 67, so if you're over, you may also have some issues. Yes I was excited at the clarity initially, but when you dig in with further usage, the issues make the whole experience uncomfortable and exhausting, I just want to jump into a headset and experience good VR, unfortunately until the issues with the HP Reverb are addressed it has put me off any future purchase of WMR headsets.
    @forestguy - Are you using ALVR to stream games from your computer to Oculus Quest and is it as good as people are saying? I have a feeling there will be a lot of latency and the image wouldn't be that good etc.

Art3mis
    @RedRizla - Trust me, I'm usually very skeptical about these things but was really impressed, I need to test it a bit more but having no wires when playing steam games I already own is an added bonus to buying the Quest, a real game changer. The thing is ALVR is only in Alpha so there will be much more improvements. It has made me rethink my perspective on what is important in VR and wireless is now up there with FOV and resolution.

• Genetix604Genetix604 Posts: 73
    Hiro Protagonist

I’ve had nothing but problems with my Reverb, it would black screen on me for a few seconds every 15-20mins which got annoying trying to race in PC2, it crashed Steam VR a couple of times and crashed my PC last night. Now the panels are lit up but won’t display an image so I’ve asked for a refund from HP….although it took me 30mins to get through to the correct department!!

To be fair when it was running it did look good and I only play racing sims so the stupidly heavy cable could be ignored.

It did make me realise how seamless my CV1 has been.

Touch wood, I've not had any issues yet apart from intermittent drops from games back to the steam grid and back again but that's it. The cable is a pain and I'm currently working on solving this for seated gaming. I really don't want it to go wrong but sadly at the 1st sign it goes back. Fingers crossed.
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

Art3mis
    edited June 13

I’ve had nothing but problems with my Reverb, it would black screen on me for a few seconds every 15-20mins which got annoying trying to race in PC2, it crashed Steam VR a couple of times and crashed my PC last night. Now the panels are lit up but won’t display an image so I’ve asked for a refund from HP….although it took me 30mins to get through to the correct department!!

To be fair when it was running it did look good and I only play racing sims so the stupidly heavy cable could be ignored.

It did make me realise how seamless my CV1 has been.

I echo this. It looked very good to begin with, then all the problems (blinking, tracking etc.) and annoy things (thick cable, small FOV coming from a Pimax etc.) started to manifest. You are right about the customer service they make it really difficult to get to the right people, but to be fair to them when I did get to them they dealt with my refund process efficiently.
  • Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,697 Valuable Player
    Sadly mine is going back on Monday and refund issued. 1. because they won't get new stock now for quite some time, and 2. Whilst very impressive, considering the issues it has not worthwhile during this time until they either fix/revise things. Plus the Pimax 8KX might prove to be the better investment.

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
    Quick question @Shadowmask72 does yours get hot? I mean hot hot that it becomes uncomfortable to wear ? I'm getting that issue, very warm to touch also.

• DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 5,047 Volunteer Moderator
    I've got my fingers crossed for this headset, it looked like its specs were in the right ballpark for good performance and clarity in sims, hope any problems get sorted.
    Intel 5820K OC@4Ghz, Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18362.356)
  • MowTinMowTin Posts: 1,621
    Project 2501
    What about aliasing? When you move to a higher res screen it takes more processing power to deal with aliasing. But then the aliasing is also reduced with the higher resolution. 

How much super sampling do you need and are you able to maintain 80 fps? 
    i7 6700k 2080ti   Rift-S, Index
    edited June 13
    Even HP seem to acknowledge there's a problem with the connector judging by this post.

I think personally there is more to it than just the connector mate. The cable is so heavy but ohhh the resolution. I need to have a serious think tonight. I am not comfortable with the heat of the thing.

• Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,697 Valuable Player
    No heat on mine just the black line it has been boxed for almost a week now.

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
    Damn, thanks mate so much potential.

edited June 13
    Techy111 said:
    I think personally there is more to it than just the connector mate. The cable is so heavy but ohhh the resolution. I need to have a serious think tonight. I am not comfortable with the heat of the thing.

I thought this was supposed to be a headset that was well ventilated? I think I might just buy a 4k television instead to make use of this 2080ti now.
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 6,990 Valuable Player
    All you need to do to sort out the heat issue is put it in a bucket of ice cold water for half an hour before you put it on. Problem solved.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
    It's only the last couple of days @RedRizla and the weather in London has been mild. And snowy....cheers  :D

edited June 13
    @Techy111 - I'm just going to wait until I see what they do about this cable connection. The headset is just what I'm looking for but after reading about this cable thing I'm a little put off by it. In the meantime I just hope my CV1 can last out until a headset comes along that doesn't have any issues.
    I'm sure HP will be able to fix this issue though if it's an issue for lots of people.
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 6,990 Valuable Player
    I've also found it very helpful to use my headset nekked. Although, whilst doing so keeps me cool, I've found it has the opposite effect on the people living across the road from me. Bloody prudes.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,393 Valuable Player

Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
This discussion has been closed.