New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

HP Reverb First Impressions Thread (Gen 1)

Comments

• dburnedburne Posts: 2,716 Valuable Player
    snowdog said:
    I've also found it very helpful to use my headset nekked. Although, whilst doing so keeps me cool, I've found it has the opposite effect on the people living across the road from me. Bloody prudes.
    That gets filed away in the "TMI" bucket...
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,042 Valuable Player
    dburne said:
    snowdog said:
    I've also found it very helpful to use my headset nekked. Although, whilst doing so keeps me cool, I've found it has the opposite effect on the people living across the road from me. Bloody prudes.
    That gets filed away in the "TMI" bucket...

Doesn't belong in that bucket until I post pictures. B) :D
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 4,704 Valuable Player
    snowdog said:
    Doesn't belong in that bucket until I post pictures. B) :D

P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,428 Volunteer Moderator
    Update from me on the Reverb. Contacted tech support today, very helpful and knowledgable. Have a few things given me to test and report on. We shall see ;)
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

• RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,670 Valuable Player
    @Techy111 - Would this be for the heat problem?
  • dburnedburne Posts: 2,716 Valuable Player
    RedRizla said:
    @Techy111 - Would this be for the heat problem?
    Pretty sure I hear a rumor that support told him it was not a heat problem, he was just a hothead...
    :p
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
    That and the disconnects back to steam.
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

edited June 14
    Techy111 said:
    That and the disconnects back to steam.
    Let us know how it goes because I'm still looking at getting one of these headsets if they can sort out the problems.
    You bet.

Ok after a night of testing the reverb I had a little success. No more disconnects back to the steam grid. The heat is nowhere near as bad as before. One of the adjustments advised made me chuckle = if the headset is on 90hz please adjust to....90hz  :D

I have the weekend to test further.

• Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,745 Valuable Player
    Some good news then at least.

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
    Yes mate I've wiggled the connection many times and many ways and still haven't got a black screen as of yet. It still gets warm with heavy use but not hot as before. Don't understand how software tinkering would help but it has. No blurriness with 1903 and the clarity is still making me want to keep it. But I agree about the headphones, very uncomfortable after an hour so they'll have to come off and an alternative found.

@Techy111 - So what did you do to reduce the heat? Did you switch from 90Hz to 90Hz :D
    Hahaha yes mate and the difference was WoW !!! Well it was err just the same  :D first I tried running in Low in the WMR settings page and it didn't get warm at all. There is 4 settings, low, middle, high and very high. I'm now on high and so far so good. Also made sure windows was all up to date, latest drivers and its running fine at the mo. No disconnents to steam grid from games. Testing continues.

• TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 1,379
    Project 2501
    WMR is sucha crap-shoot imho.  Either it works well for you or it doesn't (like in my case btw).

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti (from my old AGA), 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors. Vive Cosmos, currently work in progress.

It's a headset issue mate with a crappy cable. When it works (which mine is) it's super crisp and whilst not as polished as oculus home, it's still usable. Here is hoping my heat issues have reduced ;)

• TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 1,379
    Project 2501
    So WMR system has nothing to do with this?

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti (from my old AGA), 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors. Vive Cosmos, currently work in progress.

Not in my case or shadows. This is a connector problem and a cable issue with the headset itself.

• RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 3,472 Valuable Player
    Saw this on Reddit - quite interesting - going from Reverb to CV1 should be really horrible - or not  ;)

From HP Reverb to CV1

had the flickering, dark screen issue so my hp reverb is going back for a manufacturing defect but i was able to use it for 30 minutes at a time without any problems most days. I want to highlight some differences here between the cv1 and the hp reverb.

IPD of 64

1080 TI GPU

The reverb is narrower than the CV1 and for this reason when I put the mask on the leather sits right on my eyebrows. During gameplay if I raise my eyebrows it shifts the entire hmd and my vision becomes blurry. As a result I wasn't able to fully relax or forget im wearing an hmd, I had to have it in the back of my mind that i cant make any facial expressions.

When I put on the CV1 i can look anywhere on the screen and it doesnt bother me. IDK how cv1 achieved this but it's very easy to relax in bigscreen and have my eyes move around and watch the cinema. With the reverb i am acutely aware any time I'm not looking at the center sweet spot and it bothers me. My vision actually seems blurry if my eyes move anywhere else, and the worst part is that im constantly noticing how blurry things look and trying to adjust my heads angle to get back to that sharp image. its harder to fully relax and forget that I'm wearing an hmd when I am constantly aware of my head position vs eye position.

And the reverb ear phones... If my ear were forward slashes... these headphones sit like a backslash. It's actually the opposite angle that I want them to sit on my ears, its like the corner of one side digs into my ear instead of the whole speaker being parallel to the angle my ears sit. The CV1 headphones sit perfectly and didnt have this problem, the reverb headphones would snap and break the screw if I try to turn them how the CV1 speakers fit.

And lastly... windows mixed reality portal. What a heaping pile of shit. lol. its nice being in the oculus eco system... When I hosted a bigscreen room using the reverb and wmr.. everytime someone new joined my room for a second it would flash me out of the cinema and into a grid... totally immersion ruining being in that wmr ecosystem

In conclusion I actually don't mind going back to my cv1. It's just so much easier to relax and forget I have an hmd on and after my experience I think this might be the most important part of VR! There is no moving my head around constantly, getting annoyed at blurry images because im not looking dead center, having to adjust the hmd on my face because I moved my eyebrows, my ears never get sore, etc.

After being forced back to cv1 from a broken reverb i am surprised to find myself perfectly contented with that situation. Cheers to oculus for creating a great product that has withstood the test of time

p.s. the reverb display is an ideal compromise for a work environment where you dont need immersion, you need to be able to focus on details and its okay to force the customer to move their head around, etc. The reverb was designed for a use case that is not gaming and immersion. the resolution is a huge bump but still pixelated obviously in games like skyrim so there's not a wow factor to knock you on your ass.

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/c0nd2a/from_hp_reverb_to_cv1/

Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
    edited June 15
    Delete
    This is a tricky one. Yes the sweet spot is pretty small in the HP reverb but I find the same in the CV1. The sound out of the reverb headset is good but i agree, they are damn uncomfortable. I can only suggest that an individual tries it for themselves. As for gaming ? For sims it's awesome. In a cockpit you are gonna move your head all the time to look about, same goes for DCS or IL2 whilst keeping a lookout. I'm still 50/50 on whether mine stays or goes. 24 hours left of testing.

edited June 15
    Strange - I feel I have a very large sweet spot in the CV1 - I don't notice blur in the periphery, everything looks sharp - of course not totally as sharp as in the center, but sharp enough to read text - using high levels of ss of course. Blur in the periphery never has been a problem to me - only the SDE and then maybe the res. So the Reddit dude's CV1 description was spot on for me (but I have not tried the Reverb). I really feel I can see nice and clear using more or less my fov in the CV1 by just moving my eyes (my CV1 fov happens to be much the same size as my glasses - so maybe I already have the best fov I can get, lol). 
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

Maybe you have, the clarity of the sweet spot cannot be beat with the reverb imo it's really that good but if your eyes wander in either headset it does get blurry. I watched a movie last night in the reverb and had no problems watching and seeing crisp images throughout the movie (Star Trek Beyond 3D)

• pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 1,568 Valuable Player
    I haven't used the Reverb but I will say the O+ Sweet spot is definitely smaller than CV1. There was definitely blur in my CV1 along the outer edges but it wasn't a big deal. When I first started using the O+ after using CV1 it was tough at first because the tiny sweetspot bothered me so much. After using it for awhile, I figured out that the vertical sweet spot is a lot smaller than the horizontal and if I get it perfectly aligned, i can actually turn my eyes quite a bit without the blur and that's when I fell in love with it. But looking at the far edges in it is blurred. Also not sure why he's launching games from WMR's portal lol.
    edited June 15
    @RuneSR2 - I deleted my post because I saw he said it happens when he moves his eyebrows. Now I just need to test if moving my eyebrows is something I do a lot in VR. I don't think I do but I will test it without subconsciously thinking I have to keep them still :)
    Here watch this though because it's funny, it's about eyebrow movement.

• snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,042 Valuable Player
    The sweet spot for the Rift S is HUUUUGE compared to the Rift. And after experiencing the night and day difference in clarity I can't go back to the Rift now. It's literally the difference between me wearing glasses and not wearing glasses in real life. The difference is crazy.

I still find it difficult to believe that both Oculus and HP have cocked up the launches of their headsets, hopefully Valve will get things right with the Index.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 1,568 Valuable Player
    snowdog said:
    The sweet spot for the Rift S is HUUUUGE compared to the Rift. And after experiencing the night and day difference in clarity I can't go back to the Rift now. It's literally the difference between me wearing glasses and not wearing glasses in real life. The difference is crazy.

I still find it difficult to believe that both Oculus and HP have cocked up the launches of their headsets, hopefully Valve will get things right with the Index.
    That's a nice feature of the Rift-S then. A large Sweetspot is quite helpful for games that are active, especially if it's using a halo that will move on you. On my O+ if i do vertical movements, i literally go blind as the headset lifts up and my eye moves out of the tiny vertical sweetspot. It irritates me greatly. Looking forward to trying the Index out and see what kind of eye movement I can do with it. 
    pyroth309 said:
    snowdog said:

That's a nice feature of the Rift-S then. A large Sweetspot is quite helpful for games that are active, especially if it's using a halo that will move on you. On my O+ if i do vertical movements, i literally go blind as the headset lifts up and my eye moves out of the tiny vertical sweetspot. It irritates me greatly. Looking forward to trying the Index out and see what kind of eye movement I can do with it. 
    I believe the reason behind the dual Index lenses was to provide a large sweet spot - but we'll see when user reviews arrive. 

• kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 4,704 Valuable Player
    snowdog said:

Interesting observation. But the mess created are in different degrees:

HP - aimed at Enterprise to then drive consumer experience/interest - messed up hardware quality, also found it difficult to get message across to core markets - making loyal comeback.

Rift-S - aimed at passing PC needs to Lenovo - Lenovo did what they do best, cut corners and messed up hardware, also message was badly presented to community - but making inroads to mainstream as cost-effective solution.

Regarding Valve and Index we see a totally different approach.

The environment fostered by GN's leadership and direction on this hardware is partly as addressing a score, partly as proof of ability. A chance to open a new playing environment that they will feed through their portal (eco-system) and also to create a platform that will feed innovation and indie development so creating a perfect circle of business (buy and use the Index, create games/peripherals for the Index, buy games for the Index).

To that end its kinda difficult for Valve to care if they get the launch right or wrong - their expectations, price point and long term goals wont change, they will just refocus if issues arise. While the others are extending themselves into unknown areas, and suffer from a lack of focus. While the Index against HP, Rift-S, Pimax and LG is interesting. I think the main event is Quest verses, Cosmos, Samsung, Pico and Acer seems like a real blood sport!
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
This discussion has been closed.