HP Reverb First Impressions Thread (Gen 1) - Page 5 — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

HP Reverb First Impressions Thread (Gen 1)

Comments

• snowdogsnowdog Posts: 6,990 Valuable Player
    Well the Cosmos doesn't belong in that group because it isn't primarily a standalone headset. The Quest will EASILY win that fight for one reason only - software. It's going to outsell the others because it has more and most likely better quality software available for it.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,579 Valuable Player
    @kevinw729 -  I have to wonder why Oculus didn't just build and design Rift S themselves. Nobody told Oculus to release a PC -VR headset right now. But even if they were listening to the Pc -VR crowd getting restless for a new headset, then why didn't they just build something like the Oculus Quest for PC?
    What I can't get my head around is that it must cost more to build an Oculus Quest then it does to build a Rift S. If it's just the halo design of the Rift S that brings it to the price of the Oculus Quest, then I'm sure people would have preferred the Oculus Quest design with speakers included etc.
    Anyways, I'm having fun with my Rift CV1 and hopefully we will see something as good as this with an increase in resolution in the future.
  • FX2KFX2K Posts: 268
    Nexus 6
    The visuals and audio on the Reverb are substantially better than the S, although the S is a nice visual upgrade over the CV1, but wtf where they smoking when they decided on the audio for the S.

Sadly, my Reverb has display issues whereby after 5 or so minutes, the right panel flickers and then dims, making it look and feel very weird.  After a bit longer, the left display does the same and the right panel flickers some more, so mine is being returned, hoping its not widespread and a replacement is enough.

CV1: Ordered 6th Jan 2016 - Est Delivery Some time in May...
    DK2: Ordered: 8th of Aug 2014 - Delivered: 14 Oct 2014
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 6,990 Valuable Player
    I think Oculus just decided to make some profit on hardware for once, you can't blame them. The licencing fee that they pay to Lenovo can't be that much, probably 7% of the sale of each headset leaving a 2% profit for Lenovo after they give their (my guesstimation) 5% to Sony for their licence fee.

In a year's time they'll be able to knock $100/£100 of the headset and still make a profit on each one sold, and that $300/£300 price point puts it in impulse buy territory for mainstream gamers (remember me mentioning it in my 3 stages of VR mainstream adoption?).

Zuckerberg has been reading my posts on VR mainstream adoption. I'm expecting a cheque in the post any day now.

Their long term plan is to get the future Go line down to under $50 and the future Rift and Quest lines down to $250 I would have thought.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 4,619 Valuable Player
    RedRizla said:
    @kevinw729 -  I have to wonder why Oculus didn't just build and design Rift S themselves. Nobody told Oculus to release a PC -VR headset right now. But even if they were listening to the Pc -VR crowd getting restless for a new headset, then why didn't they just build something like the Oculus Quest for PC? 

They did build a CV1.2 according to departing employees - but this and the Half-Dome > CV2 future was changed, by the new management for the Lenovo partnership and handing the responsibilities to them for a cost-reduced and QA free alternative. Much of the information leaked by the departing ex-CEO reveals a internal feud that went viral. 

What I can't get my head around is that it must cost more to build an Oculus Quest then it does to build a Rift S. If it's just the halo design of the Rift S that brings it to the price of the Oculus Quest, then I'm sure people would have preferred the Oculus Quest design with speakers included etc.
    Anyways, I'm having fun with my Rift CV1 and hopefully we will see something as good as this with an increase in resolution in the future.

Agreed, it seems a big mistake to sell the Rift-S and Quest at the same price - as it gives the wrong impression, and should not the Rift-S be cheaper - but that is an internal decision I am sure based on their research of the market needs.

What I think was a missed opportunity was a Quest and Quest+ kind of product line - one being a standalone, the other being a standalone that can be tethered to a PC if available. Seems this may have been suggested originally, but better minds thought that it would confuse the market and so separated PC and mobileVR. 

If the rumors are true this is a path that HTC have decided to take with Cosmos - so we will see if the decision not to take this course was a good one.
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
  • dburnedburne Posts: 2,597 Valuable Player
    snowdog said:
    The sweet spot for the Rift S is HUUUUGE compared to the Rift. And after experiencing the night and day difference in clarity I can't go back to the Rift now. It's literally the difference between me wearing glasses and not wearing glasses in real life. The difference is crazy.

I still find it difficult to believe that both Oculus and HP have cocked up the launches of their headsets, hopefully Valve will get things right with the Index.
    Yeah I feel the exact same. When I thought my first headset was defective,  I could not imagine having to use CV1 again until I got replacement. Thankfully Amazon Prime sent my replacement before my even sending the first unit back.

Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case|
    @Techy111 - Have you decided yet what you are going to do with the HP Reverb? Are you Keeping it or returning it?
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,371 Volunteer Moderator
    After much use this weekend I discovered a smudge on the inside of the right lens mate, only noticeable when moving over straight edges. Plus it still kicks out of games often back to the steam grid and is warmer than I like. So the bad news is yes, it goes back. But the good news is I am asking for a replacement even if I have to wait. It's that good @RedRizla
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

I still want to get one but only when the problems are sorted out. There's also a headset from Acer due out sometime this year with the same resolution, so I'm in no rush. I did notice the price has gone back up on the HP Reverb too.
  • Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,697 Valuable Player
    edited June 16
    yeh I fully intend to buy it again once it's back in stock. I just can't get it out of my head how dreamy Fallout 4 looked.

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
  • LuciferousLuciferous Posts: 2,078 Valuable Player
    Well now you have spoiled yourselves, no going back now 😀
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,371 Volunteer Moderator
    My unit has been authorised for return, haven't said anything about stock to me yet.
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

• RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 3,088 Valuable Player
    Well now you have spoiled yourselves, no going back now 😀
    Spoiled or soiled?  :D (sorry, bad joke from a CV1 owner - but I couldn't resist writing this post :blush: )
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • hoppingbunny123hoppingbunny123 Posts: 517
    Trinity
    too bad about the lack of ipd adjustment though. and the tight fit so glasses are a no no.
    After hearing how much the 8KX is likely to cost, that seems like a pipe-dream for now and even then, It might not offer the same visual clarity as the Reverb. I am hoping to dive in again in a few weeks. I really don't think any other headset in this price range will compete for a while despite some serious contenders on the horizon.

• forestguyforestguy Posts: 167
    Art3mis
    Yes the clarity is the best ever I've seen, however, the issues outweigh the pros with the HP Reverb, I was so enthusiastic about it pre and during, basic things like having a Max IPD of 67 (forget about it being software only for a minute) limits a lot of people having a comfortable experience regardless of the clarity.
    edited June 18
    This is another company that is getting added to my list of joke companies. The people at HP seem to change their minds from one day to the next or even minute by minute. I cancelled my HP Reverb after hearing about the disconnects and other problems people were experiencing, but then thought I need to try it out for myself because not everyone has these issues.
    Not only did I get it £25 cheaper on my previous order (price error I think), but they now tell me I can't even pre-order this headset anymore. They previously told me they would be getting more stock at the end of June and then they told me it would be July. Now they say they don't know when they are getting them in again. Just before I end the call, they then tell me they could be getting them in at the end of June again?
    I don't think I've ever dealt with a company that seem so clueless about their own product. Maybe something is telling me not to order this headset when it's back in stock at the end of June, July, this year or next year. I've never known a company that know so little about their own products.
  • FX2KFX2K Posts: 268
    Nexus 6
    edited June 18
    Techy111 said:
    My unit has been authorised for return, haven't said anything about stock to me yet.
    Same here, except its been returned now and arrived at HP today... will begin hassling them tomorrow :)
    CV1: Ordered 6th Jan 2016 - Est Delivery Some time in May...
    DK2: Ordered: 8th of Aug 2014 - Delivered: 14 Oct 2014
  • GlobespyGlobespy Posts: 92
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited June 18
    RedRizla said:
    I honestly don't think Oculus has any focus on moving the PC enthusiast level hardware forwards.
    And from a business perspective, you can't blame them as the hardware requirements to get a great VR experience in the absence of true eye-tracked foveated rendering are outside the grasp of the majority of customers.

It's simple math, you can't add millions of pixels to be rendered and just expect it to work on the same 'recommended' hardware requirements, which are always a joke anyway.

You need minimum 8700K and 1080ti for Reverb, and you will be making compromises.
    Ideally a 9900k and 2080ti, but right now there's little advantage to the 2080ti over the 1080ti to make it worth the double price.
    I have both and until we see more native DX12 games, the DX11 CPU bottleneck is going to limit what the GPU can do.

The only way Oculus can move the dial on next gen VR is to have eye tracked foveated rendering and/or with game developer DX12 adoption - Pimax at least tried with 'fixed foveated rendering, but that means you have to move your head to ensure you are in the sweet spot and that's hardly ideal.

The reverb is a nice idea, but ultimately it's not going to take over the market in the consumer space simply because of the hardware specs needed to realize its potential. It was really designed as a professional headset for business use where being able to read text clearly was the priority.
    It was never rally designed with the sole purpose of driving the extremely intensive computer games many of us use VR for, they just thought they would make some extra money selling to consumers who wanted it.

I can understand the feedback that will come from my post, there's a natural tendency to defend one's financial purchase and the bias that comes with that. 
    But at the end of the day, can the average user who owns a low-mid range PC have a great VR experience?
    The answer is no, and that's why it will fail as a consumer product - not because of it's capabilities.
    It's a nice headset (with a few issues of course), but it caters to at best 5% of the PC home user/gamer community with regards to hardware, and those numbers don't move tech forwards.
    The bottom line is HP is a massive company and deals with tons of different products. The WMR or VR part of their operation is like minuscule so it doesn't have its own proper department yet. Hence why when us lot try to get through it's a massive pain in the ass where the operators seem clueless as to what a VR headset is let alone what department.  It's certainly not great customer service, but then again neither was Pimax and I am sure some people even find Oculus service not great either. Give em time to actually get this product properly launched and things will no doubt improve.

edited June 18
    The reverb is a nice idea, but ultimately it's not going to take over the market in the consumer space simply because of the hardware specs needed to realize its potential. It was really designed as a professional headset for business use where being able to read text clearly was the priority.
    It was never rally designed with the sole purpose of driving the extremely intensive computer games many of us use VR for, they just thought they would make some extra money selling to consumers who wanted it.

The HP Reverb may not take over the market, but a lot of people outside of the business sector are showing an interest in it. That's because people with a Geforce 2080ti want to see improved resolutions in their VR headsets, or what's the point of having a Geforce 2080ti in the first place.

The HP Reverb is the headset that brings the much improved resolution that some people want to see. It also does do a good job at driving extremely intensive computer games if you are talking about about games like SkyRim & Fallout 4. Granted you will need a Geforce 1080ti or Geforce 2080ti to get the best experience. 

I'm waiting for the reviews on the Valve index because even though it has a lower resolution the HP Reverb, it adds a better refresh rate that those with a Geforce 2080ti would be able to use. I am also still looking to get a HP Reverb, but only when I actually see it on their website now.

@Globespy - I also get what Oculus are doing, but right now the Rift S isn't worth it due to all of it's problems. You just have to look at the forums to see the problems people are having. But putting resolutions to one side for a second though. Why didn't they add speakers to the Rift S? Rift S has a cheaper screen then the Oculus Quests Oled displays. It has no speakers like the Oculus Quest, and it doesn't require a processor like the Oculus Quest. Yet it's the same price as the Oculus Quest?

• WildtWildt Posts: 1,962 Valuable Player
    Got mine hooked up....  and right panel is just LOADED with totally miscolored pixels. :angry:
    Can't say I'm really surprised with all  these reports of faulty units.
    Any one of you guys got the inside scoop on how to quickly get some qualified support?

PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
    PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
    WMR: HP Reverb (arriving shortly)
    edited June 18
    This is the general number - they should be able to put you through. Product number is 6KP43EA  Make sure you have serial number and invoice number starting SCEO

+44 0207 660 3858

Wildt said:
    Got mine hooked up....  and right panel is just LOADED with totally miscolored pixels. :angry:
    Any one of you guys got the inside scoop on how to quickly get some qualified support?

Would that be different from the mura some people were speaking about?
    edited June 18
    RedRizla said:
    Wildt said:

Would that be different from the mura some people were speaking about?
    Mura often looks like clouds/patterns of pixels with a intensity level that is slightly off. But my Reverb has individual (maybe several adjacent) pixels where some of the subpixels are close to dead, resulting in really miscolored pixels on a white surface. 
    Both panels have a pretty obvious mura, but I was expecting that. 
    Been looking at the defect some more, and it ain't DEAD subpixels, it's like clusters of subpixels/pixel with completely wrong intensity.  I managed to snack a really poor shot through the lens which still manages to capture it.

edited June 18
    @Wildt - That looks like it's on the lens from the photo, but obviously isn't if you say it's on the display. Have you tried reinstalling the software and messed about calibrating the settings etc? Maybe reinstalling your graphics card driver just to see if it does anything?
    Swamping display port and usb to 3.1 if you have one? That's what HP support will tell you to do.
  • kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 4,619 Valuable Player
    That seems to be on the lens!

P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
    It's not the lens - shining a powerful light onto it from all angles reveals nothing. If you guys saw in IRL you'd be able to tell - they're all rectangular of vayring sizes.
This discussion has been closed.