HP Reverb First Impressions Thread (Gen 1) - Page 7 — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

HP Reverb First Impressions Thread (Gen 1)

Comments

• FX2KFX2K Posts: 268
    Nexus 6
    edited June 20
    snowdog said:
    Valve could end up releasing the only functional headset the way things are going. :o

Although to be fair to Oculus the Rift S problems seem to be software issues, not hardware issues.
    Having lots of "static flicker" with my S and its getting annoying, its quite frequent.
    Also seem to suffer blackouts after removing it from my head for a second or two and having to restart the whole oculus service or pc to get it back.  Audio solution is the absolute worse thing about it.

Had less issues with the reverb, if the display panel / back light or whatever it is, wasn't faulty.

Reverb feels cheaper build quality than the CV1, but the audio solution works.  Unlike the CV1 the speakers on the Reverb don't "rest on your ears" but "float over them" which, imo adds a bit of extra comfort, less enclosed in the HMD.
    The S in that regards covers a lot more surface area and can be more sweaty, but does allow some relief on your face, if you sacrifice a bit of fov.

Looking forward to what the index brings to the table.
    CV1: Ordered 6th Jan 2016 - Est Delivery Some time in May...
    DK2: Ordered: 8th of Aug 2014 - Delivered: 14 Oct 2014
  • Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,697 Valuable Player
    I didn't find the Reverb Mura to be too much of an issue when playing games, noticeable especially when concentrating on it though and somewhat distracting then. As for ForestGuy - You say the HP Reverb is "slightly clearer" than the 5K+. I think you might be understating it quite a bit. The FOV change didn't bother me that much because the eyes naturally focus on the clear bits in the centre or though it did feel narrow. There are trade offs as with most HMDs these days until someone releases the definitive headset. That said, I am keeping my order once  they come back in stock. I doubt the Index is going to match the quality of the image but might be better at other things. The audio is supposedly awesome on the Index.

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,579 Valuable Player
    edited June 20
    Display wise I think people are going to be disappointed with Valve index for the price. It only has a slight bump in resolution over the Rift S, but there's a lot of talk about the double lenses making things glow. Apparently the glow is different in appearance to godrays but it's similar. I wouldn't want to see anything like that in a VR headset if I paid £920 and I think I'd be a bit disappointed in the small bump in resolution over the Rift S too.
    I think the next VR headset I purchase will have to have the HP Reverb's resolution.
  • forestguyforestguy Posts: 167
    Art3mis
    I didn't find the Reverb Mura to be too much of an issue when playing games, noticeable especially when concentrating on it though and somewhat distracting then. As for ForestGuy - You say the HP Reverb is "slightly clearer" than the 5K+. I think you might be understating it quite a bit. The FOV change didn't bother me that much because the eyes naturally focus on the clear bits in the centre or though it did feel narrow. There are trade offs as with most HMDs these days until someone releases the definitive headset. That said, I am keeping my order once  they come back in stock. I doubt the Index is going to match the quality of the image but might be better at other things. The audio is supposedly awesome on the Index.
    Don't get me wrong, it is clearer but not remarkably so (Maybe it was my IPD being 68.5 or something) but for me the FOV was a big transition especially when they were boasting 114 FOV and the vertical (again to me) is lower than the CV1. I have a 2080ti and 9900K and when I have gone from a 170 FOV to a supposedly 114 FOV it is a big deal to me, I didn't think it would be  because of the clarity, but it was. TBH it was the unforgiveble technical issues e.g. tracking, IPD, Blinking etc. why it was sent back, if it functioned like the DK1  DK2 and CV1 without these kind of issues it would have probably stayed for a while.

@forestguy - But the Oculus Quest has the same sized fov. So are you getting another Pimax and if not what headset are you getting?
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,371 Volunteer Moderator
    Mine is due to be collected tomorrow and I'm on the list for a replacement. If it works right next time I'm keeping it without a doubt.
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

Art3mis
    RedRizla said:
    @forestguy - But the Oculus Quest has the same sized fov. So are you getting another Pimax and if not what headset are you getting?

True, however the Oculus Quest has a key USP which is wireless that will stay and compliment any teathered headset I buy in the near future whether it's Index, the new native 8KX Pimax (released end of the year) etc. I've tested the HP Reverb and know it is not for me for the reasons mentioned e.g. IPD etc.
    edited June 20
    @forestguy - I have an ipd of 65, do you think I will have problems with HP Reverb? I'm like you though I'm in no rush to by a new VR headset with all the problems we are hearing about these launches. First the Rift S with all it's problems and then this VR headset now.
    I might even wait until the end of they year to see which VR headsets work and which ones don't. I'm not getting a Rift S though when I have got a Geforce 2080ti.
    Art3mis
    @RedRizla you should be fine with 65 your IPD is in range.  Yeah it is best to assess what is going on in the VR world it is an expensive business full of expectations and disappointments but there some good headsets on the horizon :smile:
    edited June 20
    THe 8KX looks interesting but if the expected price of over a grand just for the headset, count me out. Especially as there are no guarantees it will not be headache inducing and rear all the same issues I have with the 8K all over again. Fk that I'm not paying Pimax more for the privilege unless there are some really sound external reviews from non-employees/testers.

Art3mis
    THe 8KX looks interesting but if the expected price of over a grand just for the headset, count me out. Especially as there are no guarantees it will not be headache inducing and rear all the same issues I have with the 8K all over again. Fk that I'm not paying Pimax more for the privilege unless there are some really sound external reviews from non-employees/testers.
    Also currently there is no word whether the knuckles will work with the Pimax which has put Pimax in a bind.
    edited June 20
    If I get the Hp Reverb, I'm thinking of doing this so that the connection and cable doesn't feel as heavy. I will use electric conduit plastic piping though to do a better job of it and have the connector point down.

• pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 1,568 Valuable Player
    Really bums me out to see all of the problems people are having with the Reverb. On paper the Specs looked great and HP seems to be squandering a great opportunity. I had high hopes for it. Hopefully they get all of this sorted out. Maybe the Acer one will have less problems.  :(
  • hoppingbunny123hoppingbunny123 Posts: 517
    Trinity
    edited June 20
    RedRizla said:
    If I get the Hp Reverb, I'm thinking of doing this so that the connection and cable doesn't feel as heavy. I will use electric conduit plastic piping though to do a better job of it and have the connector point down.

that looks like a fun thing to do. gotta be careful not to bend the cable too much though if you do its called a "cable kink" i think.

i think the reverb is having some bad electrical disturbance from missing a insulator on a metal piece somewhere on the back of a board like a motherboard has metal bits sticking out on the back.

i wouldnt buy the reverb, get a valve index or pimax 5k plus instead or wait till september to see what oculus is bringing out.

edited June 20
    @hoppingbunny123 - Yes, I am going to wait for a while. There wouldn't be any bends in my cable though because that's what the conduit plastic piping prevents. I use it on my Rift CV1 to stop the cable bending like in your pic and it's worked a treat. I used Gorilla tape to hold the piping in place rather then cable ties so that I don't feel the cable ties on the side of my head.
    See how the cable remains nice and curved.

Trinity
    i think ill try that out when i start using my rift again in a few weeks.
    edited June 20

@hoppingbunny123 - Yes do it and no more bending cable. Here's the stuff I used with those measurements 7.2mm-25mm. It's as cheap as chips on ebay. Just cut down the full length of cable with scissors, then just put cable inside and tape it like I have. The cut just spring back together on the plastic like you didn't even cut it.

Trinity
    thanks
  • Genetix604Genetix604 Posts: 73
    Hiro Protagonist
    My Reverb was picked up by DPD on Tuesday this week and I got the Refund notification from HP yesterday. 

Having used my CV1 a couple of times since sending the Reverb back I miss the resolution, it never used to bother me on the CV1 until I started playing driving sims where it seems to be most noticeable. I won't miss the heavy cable though.

I did contemplate buying the Rift S but I think I'll wait for the Index to be released before buying another headset.
    Yep that cable is killer. One can only dream what a wireless solution with this resolution would be like.

Should of had my reverb picked up today. Got a time slot but then a text to say they couldn't gain access......wtf !!! I took the day off, my window over looks the car park.....did I see a van ? Did I fuck.....so pissed off with DPD after I called them, they said the driver had taken a pic of access problems.....what access problems ??? My car park is empty Grrrr useless dicks. Rant over 
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

• WildtWildt Posts: 1,962 Valuable Player
    I feel your pain @Techy111 - been there!
    PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
    PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
    WMR: HP Reverb (arriving shortly)
    Mine was collected yesterday after the first missed appointment. I also had the refund notice issued the day before. DPD are usually excellent in the UK.

Yeah but blatant lies from a driver of DPD are a new one for me. I thought you was going for a replacement @Shadowmask72 ???

I should be Techy111 but I opted to get my money refunded first because I don't know and they don't know when the item is back in stock again. I can simply buy again once they notify me they are back in stock. Apparently I am on a notify list when they get them for first dibs.

I was told 11th July for new stock. If they don't deliver or at least update me by then I will go for a refund.

edited June 21
    Not sure if I should err on the side of caution though when they do get them back in. I would not be pleased if the same issues occur. Maybe it's prudent to wait to see what the general consensus of the Index is and whether the new batches of Reverbs have no issues. 

Art3mis
    Not sure if I should err on the side of caution though when they do get them back in. I would not be pleased if the same issues occur. Maybe it's prudent to wait to see what the general consensus of the Index is and whether the new batches of Reverbs have no issues. 

Yes wait for feedback first of the restocked HP Reverb, and the Index, you've already tried the Reverb, so you know what it's like when everything is good so the anticipation isn't as much. Unlike Pimax where money back is not on the cards, credit to  HP for giving this option.
  • FX2KFX2K Posts: 268
    Nexus 6
    I'm happy enough to wait for a replacement, this time around.. but if the new unit turns up and has the same issue or other problems, then I guess it will be refund time.  Happy to give it a second chance though ;)
    CV1: Ordered 6th Jan 2016 - Est Delivery Some time in May...
    DK2: Ordered: 8th of Aug 2014 - Delivered: 14 Oct 2014
    +1 but only 1 and not 2 ;)

This discussion has been closed.