[Demo] Rift Piano & Opinions? — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

[Demo] Rift Piano & Opinions?

KetaKeta Posts: 41
edited May 2014 in Oculus Share
Hey OR community

I would like to ask you all about your opinion on a "game" I've thrown together after playing around with the XNA wrapper for Oculus Rift.

DL link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/b3yixa5oz9xnqx6/RiftPiano.zip

Basically what it is, is an application that displays a piano to the user, and lights up keys as the user presses their MIDI keyboard.

Requirements:
    - Oculus Rift Dev Kit 1 or above (Dev Kit coming out soon! ^.^) - XNA Framework - MIDI Keyboard

FAQ:
Q: Why this?
A: I have absolutely no clue. I play music on keyboard, I got a Rift, I know C#, I wish I had space, and could afford a real Piano. Then this popped out of my brain. I can't think of any, but I'm sure that there might be some-other use of this... Right...?

Q: Does this REQUIRE a MIDI keyboard?
A: Well, technically no, and neither does it require a Rift. But to experience it as it is meant to be experienced, then yes.

Q: Why is this not working with motion tracking?!
A: Wow, I wouldn't expect anyone to be reading this after this long. Well, the basic fact is, this was developed back when Dev Kit 1 was the only kit that existed to the standard developer.

Well, let me know what you think. And please, also let me know if you can come up with a different alternative, because I really want to develop an application for the Rift in XNA, but I don't know anything reasonably simple I can make.

Thanks
Keta

Comments

• DrNemmoDrNemmo Posts: 14
    You could create a whole studio. Think Propellerhead's Reason running in a virtual environment. An endless studio.
  • cahortoncahorton Posts: 20
    Brain Burst
    Interesting! My keyboard is at work so I can't try your app today, but I've been wondering whether the Rift could help teach the piano. I wondered what it would feel like if you saw avatar hands playing the correct notes for a song you are trying to learn. If this happened slowly, would you be able to play along, would it help you remember, could you learn faster, or would it be too confusing?
  • petersgrandadventurepetersgrandadventure Posts: 14
    NerveGear
    I installed (windows 7 64 bit) and it never launches or gives any error message.

In the event log I found "
    Application: RiftPiano.exe
    Framework Version: v4.0.30319
    Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
    Exception Info: System.IO.FileNotFoundException
    Stack:
    at RiftPiano.Program.Main(System.String[])
    "

but that doesn't show what file it's not finding.

I'd love to try this out, if you happen to know what file it might be searching for, I'd love to hear it.