New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

VR cinema theater (UE4)

AlexWakeAlexWake Posts: 251
Hiro Protagonist
edited April 2014 in General
Since Unreal Engine 4 is available for almost everyone for $19 per month. And counting the fact UE4 fully support Oculus Rift, I hope some enthusiasts will create VR 3D theater with a HUGE screen especially for OR.
I am ready to pay $30 for that kind of software!

theater.jpg

Comments

• AlexWakeAlexWake Posts: 251
    Hiro Protagonist
    It will be awesome! ;)
    UA_iSQUARE_Imax_Theatre_Interior.png
  • MannyLectroMannyLectro Posts: 558
    Hiro Protagonist
    Never heard of VR cinema ?

The guy who made it has been recruited by Oculus.

I guess they are planning to do a better version of it for the official release.
    Rift 3d models available here : viewtopic.php?t=1514
    321d7a56-bfc9-4667-85ce-3a67291aa90a.jpg
  • AlciAlci Posts: 218
    problem is resolution. Take a look at those pictures and how much area (FOV) the screen actually takes from those seats. And use that FOV on rift's resolution. And you get movie like 640x380 on 1440p rift. Worse on current devices. But it's fun :)
  • RirtualVealityRirtualVeality Posts: 737
    Nexus 6
    Alci wrote:
    problem is resolution. Take a look at those pictures and how much area (FOV) the screen actually takes from those seats. And use that FOV on rift's resolution. And you get movie like 640x380 on 1440p rift. Worse on current devices. But it's fun :)
    While I certainly won't argue that we're not quite "there" with regards to the resolution for movies in the Rift, I would argue that for watching a 3D movie it looks almost better. When you throw on a cheap pair of 3D glasses at the theater and the 3D effect looks so cheap I'd choose the Rift over the theater ANY DAY to watch 3D movies. But yeah, it can get a little grainy. :D
  • RirtualVealityRirtualVeality Posts: 737
    Nexus 6
    Never heard of VR cinema ?

The guy who made it has been recruited by Oculus.

I guess they are planning to do a better version of it for the official release.
    Wow, I didn't know this. I thought he did such an excellent job on VR Cinema 3D. Having a nice, polished, experience for the consumer release would be very smart.
  • sladerslader Posts: 6
    Would love to have an official VR cinema app from Oculus made with UE4. The use of PBR and some custom cinema shaders would make it great:)
  • ZackariosZackarios Posts: 267
    Hiro Protagonist
    Alci wrote:

Tbh, watching movies in VR cinema on the DK1 was fun, and closer to the cinema screen, quite watchable, although not high enough obviously.

A 1440p screen, however, I'm sure hits a point where it really is absolutely watchable compared to 1280x800. That's a huge jump. It's not 4k but if the current screen is anything to go by, I think 1440p will be adequate to enjoy and clearly see movies in the Rift. Especially with a customized, no pixels wasted screen (which I'm guessing they're going to go with now)

Add to that, that the 3d is better than in a real cinema, resulting in a far, far more immersive experience, especially when you can go as close to the screen as you like. Watching Space Station 3d, even in the DK1, I almost felt I was there! That's a first for me with movies.
  • MorpheoxMorpheox Posts: 208
    NerveGear
    What kills the cinema in the dk1 its more the screen door and dullness of the screen than the resolution, if the dk1 had the same resolution but without screen door i would watch movies in it with no problems,so imagine with a 1440p panel with 4 times more pixels.
  • The first 3d film I will watch in the official VR theater on my CV1 will be.....................................Gravity :D
  • treytechtreytech Posts: 243
    Art3mis
    I just started working on a home theater version of VR Cinema over at viewtopic.php?f=29&t=6957

Working on 3D support next.
  • LeahyLeahy Posts: 41
    Brain Burst
    After owning it since last July I just watched my first full movie in my DK. It was the Desolation of Smaug in 3D. I had to keep adjusting the zoom and position of VR player to get just the right balance of resolution vs cutoff image. After halfway I almost gave up. I could see even 1080p being alright and 1440p just fine but it just doesn't work IMO on DK1. I never could stand watching anything in VR Cinema because I couldn't adjust it like I can with VR Player
  • LuciferousLuciferous Posts: 2,159 Valuable Player
    treytech wrote:
    I just started working on a home theater version of VR Cinema over at viewtopic.php?f=29&t=6957

Working on 3D support next.

And despite an early alpha it is very good. I would like to hide the file selection though when watching a film :D. I Cannot wait to revisit these Cinema Apps with my DK2.
  • bp2008bp2008 Posts: 256
    Art3mis
    I too would pay $$ for a solid VR cinema program. There is a huge opportunity for profit for whoever nails it best (and first).

Got to have 2d video support, some measure of 3d video support (i.e. side-by-side and top-bottom formats at least). It must have good VR controls and video selection capability. None of that "movie must be named movie.mov and reside in this directory" nonsense.

Huge bonus points if the theater screen could act as a computer monitor for your PC without too much overhead. i.e. you should be able to play games on it, surf the web on it, and basically do anything you want at at least 60 fps if not higher. In fact if this could be accomplished, you could just use VLC media player or the netflix website or anything else for movies. HDCP support for this virtual monitor would of course be ideal so you could even watch blu-rays or protected content via an hdmi capture card.

Even more huge bonus points if users could build their own theater/world, but that of course increases the complexity of the app immensely so I would not expect such a thing any time soon unless it was implemented with minecraft-like simplicity. Not that minecraft-like simplicity is a bad thing. I'd totally play that.
  • DarrenMDarrenM Posts: 237
    Hiro Protagonist
    Luciferous wrote:
    I would like to hide the file selection though when watching a film :D
    Press the left ctrl key to hide the menu.
  • LuciferousLuciferous Posts: 2,159 Valuable Player
    DarrenM wrote:
    Luciferous wrote:
    I would like to hide the file selection though when watching a film :D
    Press the left ctrl key to hide the menu.

God I'm so lazy, I should read the instructions, just noticed you have this in the post. Thanks.
  • RiftXdevRiftXdev Posts: 847 Poster of the Week
    bp2008 wrote:
    I too would pay $$ for a solid VR cinema program. There is a huge opportunity for profit for whoever nails it best (and first).

I fully expect Oculus to be first, and release this free with the CV1. It'll be a major marketing tool to get the product mainstream outside of gaming.
    DK1 | DK2
    "The question isn't who is going to let me but rather who is going to stop me"
  • Fantastic!!

VR cinema will be the first APP that I will run on my oculus DK2.
    And I will try to develop similar solution.. :)