Help required: Oculus Software Blank Screen — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Help required: Oculus Software Blank Screen

ErasedMarineErasedMarine Posts: 22
NerveGear
edited June 8 in Support
Hi there. Today, I attempted to install the Oculus Software, and now when I open the app, I am given a grey screen. I have tried repairing the software, uninstalling and reinstalling and restarting my computer. None of these seem to work. Could anyone please help?

Comments

• Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,131 Volunteer Moderator
    Can you post your system specs and headset you are using ???
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

• ErasedMarineErasedMarine Posts: 22
    NerveGear
    edited June 8
    Hi there. I am using the brand new Oculus Rift S. Also, here are specs:
    - GeForce GTX 1060 3GB
    - Intel Core i5-8400
    - 8GB RAM
    - Windows 10 Home (64-bit)

And di you go through the set up steps to the point that you put the headset on or has it been grey since the beginning ?
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

NerveGear
    After getting a message that the oculus software is successfully installed, I click next and it automatically opens the oculus app. This is where the problem happens and I am presented with a grey blank screen.
    edited June 8
    Did you download it to your C drive ?
    Is it a laptop ?

NerveGear
    edited June 8
    My C drive did not have enough space, so I installed it in my D drive. It's a 1tb hdd. It has 800gb+ of free space.
    It is not a laptop. It is a desktop computer.
    NerveGear
    It is not a laptop. It is a desktop computer.
    I believe the installation of the software not games needs the main drive ??? Can you make space ? I might ber wrong but worth a shot.

NerveGear
    Alright. I'll try make space and keep you updated.
    NerveGear
    edited June 8
    My C drive now has 42gb free.
    NerveGear
    I'm running the installer again, this time installing to the C Drive
  • sraurasraura Posts: 408
    Trinity
    edited June 8
    Well I'm running oculus app from d-drive, so it should work from there also. However it installs some stuff to c-drive anyways so... yea...

When you get the application working and running just change the app/game install folder to D-drive from oculus application itself. That way you don't fill your C-drive with rather large downloads.

What concerns me is the amount of memory your GPU has, but I doubt that is the problem what prevents oculus app from starting.

Here you can find most common problems and instructions:

Won't comment anything more to this as you seem to be getting help already.
    @sraura jump in, the more help he gets the better :)

NerveGear
    edited June 8
    Installation complete. Right after it asks me to create an account and I click next, it presents me with the same grey window, so that didnt work.
    When trying to run could you open your task manager and see if your vram is maxing out for some reason ???

And I take it you have everything plugged in correctly ?

NerveGear
    Should I check my vram while the app is open or run the installer again and check
    NerveGear
    Yes, everything is plugged in correctly.
    Try both and see what it says.

NerveGear
    Whilst having the oculus app open, my vram is at 0-5%, im checking the installer as we speak
    NerveGear
    edited June 8
    I checked my vram while repairing the oculus app and it doesnt go above 5%
    Ok that's ruled that out. May I ask how everything is plugged in? 

NerveGear
    Internally or externally?
    You have the USB to a USB 3.0 slot and the displayport plugged ? Have you tried running oculus home without the rift plugged in to test ?

NerveGear
    edited June 8
    NerveGear
    edited June 8
    I've tried opening the oculus app without and with the rift, both are still bringing me to the grey screen. i havent gotten past the account sign in stage at all because this is all i am presented with.
    That's bizarre mate give me 2 secs and I'll search to see if anyone has had this issue before.

NerveGear
    Alright.
    NerveGear
    just going to summarise the story in case anyone else comes and sees the thread:
    - i've just bought the oculus rift s today, its my first ever vr headset
    - after installing the oculus software, i try to open the app for the first time and im presented with a blank grey window
    - i havent been able to get past the account sign in because of this at all
    1. Go to www.oculus.com/setupand click Download Oculus Rift software.
    2. Select Repair.
      • If Windows asks you if you're sure that you want to open this file, click Yes.
      • If Windows Defender shows the prompt Windows protected your PC, click More info, then click Run anyway.
      • If your antivirus software restricts the file from being opened, temporarily disable your antivirus software and continue.
      • Please remember to re-enable your antivirus software once you've completed the repair.
    3. Allow the repair process to run, download and install.
    4. Launch the Oculus app
    Try above to see if it helps.