Microsoft Flight Simulator is Coming Back - but will it have VR? — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Microsoft Flight Simulator is Coming Back - but will it have VR?

DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 4,755 Valuable Player
edited June 9 in General

I'm desperately trying to find out if there will be a VR mode so if anybody knows... that would be good!

Intel 5820K OC@4Ghz, Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18362.175)

Comments

• Techy111Techy111 Posts: 5,862 Volunteer Moderator
    Wow that slipped under the radar !!!
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

• DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 4,755 Valuable Player

Yeah... I just happened to be looking for... I can't remember what I was looking for now, this just erased everything else.

Microsoft are referring to this as Flight Simulator for PC so if anyone's worried about the Xbox thing, it's ok!

Intel 5820K OC@4Ghz, Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18362.175)
    Incidentally @Techy111 if this does have VR, it would probably be the program that would tempt me to get a Reverb. I'd keep the Rift for everything else, but FS + Reverb would be quite a combination.
  • dburnedburne Posts: 2,338 Valuable Player
    Wow that is awesome news!
    But for me only if it supports VR, if it does then instant buy. 
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case|
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 1,063
    Wintermute
    Given Microsoft's current commitment to WMR it would be crazy if they did not support this for VR imho.  The video says it's planned to be released in 2020 so we are all going to have a bit of waiting time, lol!
    Alienware 17r4 Laptop with i7-7700hq 2.8/3.6, 32 gb ram, gtx1060 w/6gb ram, 256gb ssd, 1tb hdd, Oculus Rift w/2x sensors.  Now using an Alienware Graphics Amplifier (AGA) with Zotac gtx1080ti Blower and Asus vg248qe 144hz external monitor.  All works great!
    I was thinking the same thing @TomCgcmfc Microsoft is more likelely to include VR support than some others in a title like this, so personally I put the odds at greater than 50%. And I feel the same way as you @dburne,  VR has put an end to all monitor simming for me, although this is one title that would tempt me to buy regardless.

If it didn't have VR, I don't know... maybe I'd have to get 3 decent monitors to at least partly bridge the gap.
  • EvileyesEvileyes Posts: 298
    Nexus 6
    2020 release huh? we can expect a insane experience then :)  Those old school MS sims for the time were cutting edge. Instant buy from me too if VR is fully supported.
  • forestguyforestguy Posts: 166
    Art3mis
    edited June 10
    Yes the other VR supported titles like Prepar3D and XPlane are only playing catch up, it wasn't built from the ground up, and currently do not use Vulcan (although XPlane will be implementing this soon). However, Aerofly 2 (which has Vulkan) has a decent VR implementation and looks and feels suburb on my HP Reverb.
    Not forgetting the wonderfully superb Flyinside Flight sim ;) built for VR
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

• forestguyforestguy Posts: 166
    Art3mis
    Techy111 said:
    Not forgetting the wonderfully superb Flyinside Flight sim ;) built for VR
      Oh yes, that is true :)
    Of course that's not a shameless plug because I work with them ;)

Wintermute
    edited June 11
    Techy111 said:
    Of course that's not a shameless plug because I work with them ;)
    You should be proud of this,  Flyinside flight simulator has got lots of potential imho.
    Alienware 17r4 Laptop with i7-7700hq 2.8/3.6, 32 gb ram, gtx1060 w/6gb ram, 256gb ssd, 1tb hdd, Oculus Rift w/2x sensors.  Now using an Alienware Graphics Amplifier (AGA) with Zotac gtx1080ti Blower and Asus vg248qe 144hz external monitor.  All works great!
    You should see what is soon to be released mate it makes the old scenery look from the 90's

Wintermute
    Techy111 said:
    You should see what is soon to be released mate it makes the old scenery look from the 90's
    Looking forward to this mate!
  • lensmandavelensmandave Posts: 231
    Nexus 6
    Techy111 said:
    Sneak peak =

Ah nice! the lighting looks great too :)
    Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz. Asus-Z170-PRO MB
    CORSAIR H105 HYDRO CPU COOLER.
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX1080ti. 16GB DDR4 2666MHZ HYPERX SAVAGE.
    SAMSUNG M.2 SSD 128GB SM951 Boot Drive. SAMSUNG SSD 500GB EVO Working Drive.
    Windows 10  64bit Professional

Techy & I were briefly discussing the likelihood of Microsoft adopting a subscription service for the scenery and aircraft elements of their new Flight Simulator, which would tie in with the Xbox references on the reveal video. It seems to be the direction that MS (with it's xCloud) and Sony are moving in, following on from Google's Stadia.

I'm curious what you guys think of that if it does happen???

I just wonder if the customisation will be there like previous MSFS products or will they go down the really bad idea of high price DLC which did FSW in. My hope's are not. Will it be an open platform for addon freeware like FSX ? We shall have to wait and see.

• JediNizarJediNizar Posts: 10
    NerveGear
    edited June 11
    My question would be, is the simulation more like FSX or more realistic like FS9. I remember back than sitting in front of my desktop for a non stop flight FRA-JFK around 8hrs. and my sister just came in rolling her eyes "you are nuts"
    Yes us life time simmers can look a bit strange at times but I do love my immersion ;)

• sraurasraura Posts: 223
    Nexus 6
    ...in before Microsoft publishes "Air Crash Investigations simulator 1.0"
    Techy111 said:
    I just wonder if the customisation will be there like previous MSFS products or will they go down the really bad idea of high price DLC which did FSW in. My hope's are not. Will it be an open platform for addon freeware like FSX ? We shall have to wait and see.

I forgot about FSW. I never looked into that as I already had a pretty bad taste in my mouth from Dovetail's train sim pricing model for DLC, plus I had P3D at that point.

I enjoyed Microsoft's Flight although a lot of people claimed the flight models were unrealistic. I'm not sure about whether that's true, or if it was, whether that was down to the program's capabilities or the individual aircraft models. But then I tend to find low frame rates contribute more to unrealistic flight than anything else, which Flight had dealt with as it was MS's first sim with proper 64bit code and much better use of multithreaded CPUs.

The DLC was very slow in coming though and the aircraft DLC was useless. Unbelievably only the 'Deluxe' aircraft had interior cockpits! But yeah I think they were keeping DLC in-house so that was probably a big contribution to the problem.

Some statements added to Microsoft's website...

'On behalf of the entire Microsoft Flight Simulator team, we humbly and deeply express our gratitude for such an overwhelmingly positive response to our announce trailer! We recognize that without people like you, we don’t get to make experiences like this that span more than 35 years and maintain such a passionate following. Thank you for being patient enough to weather the turbulence caused by some of our previous missteps. Thank you for being willing to look to the possibilities of the future while asking us to be accountable for the past. We hear you, we value you, we want to make the next generation of Microsoft Flight Simulator for you, with you.

1. We are making Microsoft Flight Simulator. Emphasis on the word SIMULATOR.
    2. Designed for PC, optimized for multiplatform support (e.g. Xbox).
    3. Yes. We are supporting 3rd Party Content Development and Community Content creation. We are aware of the concerns in the current eco-system and are working to address them.
    4. Yes. We genuinely want to work closely with the community in the development of this title.
    5. Accessibility is important to us. Whatever your abilities are, if you want to fly, we are going to do whatever we can to make that happen. Yoke and pedals, mouse and keyboard, controller, etc. No pilot should be left behind.'
    So good news on learning the lessons from Flight and about 3rd party involvement. Just hoping to hear something about VR inclusion.
    Cheers DnD some interesting reading.