New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Games and Apps Keep Crashing On The Quest

Mr_Oculus_Mr_Oculus_ Posts: 38
Brain Burst
Hey, 

I am unable to play games or apps for not that long at all before they crash and return me back to the main menu. Sometimes the game will start to slow down and lag before it quits and other times, it's instant. It seems to be gradually getting worse too, at first i was able to play for around 30 - 45 mins, but now it doe's it at around the 15 min mark and sometimes sooner. 

What could this be? Is anyone else having this issue since the latest update? or is this more likely a hardware issue?

Thanks

Comments

• OCtheodoreOCOCtheodoreOC Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Hi! This has also been happening to me quite badly too. This happened to me when i was playing superhot, first the screen blacked out the the the dots loading came up i had to turn it off leave it for 5 minutes then it worked again. The next time the game froze then oculus home loaded up i dont dont know if this is the game, headset, or software ware but I really hope it not my headset.

• FlakMagnetFlakMagnet Posts: 169
    Art3mis
    Sounds like this could maybe be overheating. Are you using your Quest in a hot country or hot room? If not, it could be that the cooling fan isn't working or a defective unit.
  • Mr_Oculus_Mr_Oculus_ Posts: 38
    Brain Burst
    Hi! This has also been happening to me quite badly too. This happened to me when i was playing superhot, first the screen blacked out the the the dots loading came up i had to turn it off leave it for 5 minutes then it worked again. The next time the game froze then oculus home loaded up i dont dont know if this is the game, headset, or software ware but I really hope it not my headset.

Has it always happened to you? Or only recently? I heard there was a new update recently, wondering if that could be the cause. 
  • Mr_Oculus_Mr_Oculus_ Posts: 38
    Brain Burst
    Sounds like this could maybe be overheating. Are you using your Quest in a hot country or hot room? If not, it could be that the cooling fan isn't working or a defective unit.
    That's what i was thinking, but wouldn't the whole system turn off or at least show an over heating warning message like the oculus go does? I live in the U.K and it was a hot day yesterday, but today not at all. I was able to play for a very long session the first time i turned it on this morning and it never crashed, but now it's started doing it again :( 
  • steveshimeksteveshimek Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Same for me. I thought it was a Rec Room issue at first and then it happened to me in Robo Recall. I saw one error message that said it had lost tracking, but in Oculus Home while reading the message, tracking was working just fine. The other times there were no messages. Just kicked me back to home. I never had the issue before, including during extra long play sessions. Anyone find a solve for this yet?
  • DrakonHeartedDrakonHearted Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    This has been happening to us, too, across games.  It doesn't seem to be related to ambient heat --It happens in a cool room first thing in the morning, and a warm room in the afternoon.  Length of play doesn't seem to be a factor, since it happens randomly during the beginning, middle, and end of play, so I don't think it's internal overheating.  We've tried raising and lowering the light level in the room, and neither fixes it.  Rebooting doesn't fix it. For what it's worth, this did not happen during the first couple of weeks - it just started within the last week or so.  It's incredibly frustrating, so I hope there's a fix soon!
  • vittorio_davidvittorio_david Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    Same here 

Yesterday and today crash with rec room .
    All the screen turns black and every noise from the game starts to repeat like hell until I turn the device of .

I thought it is a problem from rec room but today same thing with the YouTube app watching a video .

Nothing worked untill I turned the device off.

I'm very angry I buyed the quest on day one !

I had to return my quest 2 times in 1 month .
    Every device a different problem .

Unbelievable!
  • KntajusKntajus Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Similar story here, and I'd say it's probably getting worse as time goes on. I initially thought it might have been a specific app but I've had it crash in all of Racket Fury, Orbus and I Expect You To Die in the same way now - the picture freezes (which is hugely disconcerting if you're doing something where you're moving like table tennis, I've almost fallen over more than once), then goes black, then drops back to the home screen.

At this point I'm mainly keen to know whether this is a software or a hardware issue so I know whether to return it or not...
  • zachi.panigelzachi.panigel Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    this start happening to me after latest update (6810). didn't happened before. during game-play app crash to oculus home but still it's in the background. happened on superhot/beat saber.  very frustrating and immersion breaking.
    i hope it's software issue.
  • AskjerryAskjerry Posts: 24
    NerveGear
    Well this is alarming... I've never spent much on video games... and I'm getting ready to drop $500 on the Quest (128GB)... but not if it is going to randomly freeze up. Is this a wide-spread issue... or possibly limited to a single production batch??
  • fl4shb1cfl4shb1c Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    edited June 29
    Same here... only started happening later this week on Oculus Quest. Have also tried different networks (home WiFi and mobile hotspot) just to see if networking could be a factor. No difference... random crashes playing  different games at different times.

Also playing with a desktop fan blowing in my face, so overheating shouldn't be a problem either.

Update: Just crashed again (playing PokerStars VR), but this time the Guardian screen came up with the usual holodeck style grid, but with no camera pass-through. The grid followed the headset movement (so was not relating to actual position). I had developer mode enabled with Guardian disabled... but it also happens when guardian is enabled (stationary) for me.
  • LennyTheChickenLennyTheChicken Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    My quest also keeps crashing after like 20 minutes in like every app possible. Not funny Oculus
  • kalsolarkalsolar Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    I've  started having the same issues, especially with Superhot and REC Room but it's all happed since the recent update. So it's either that or heat related in my view. Very frustrating. 
  • DrkzvoskyDrkzvosky Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    edited July 3
    Came here to see if others are having this issue as well.  Looks like it is happening to many people.  Same as everyone, cool rooms, warm rooms, short play, longer play, seems to be random.  Sometimes it happens a series of times in the beginning of a session and I power through consistently restarting the game/app and then it goes away.  Sometimes not.
  • weaklink33weaklink33 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Happening here too. First hour with the quest...keeps crashing back to home. Not the immersive VR experience I was hoping for....
  • chrislackeychrislackey Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Same issue for me. 

Play for an hour or two, then suddenly get loading screen with 3 dots. Can hear game continuing in the background for a while, then nothing but the 3 dots. 

Extremely frustrating, as I’ve dumped at least $150 into games so far. 

This is ridiculous. 
  • Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,769 Valuable Player
    Sometimes for me as well. Also Racket Fury refuses to quit!!!

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
  • Auld_PharrrtAuld_Pharrrt Posts: 19
    NerveGear
    Same here, lots of crashes in various games including RecRoom and Pokerstars, but most common in RecRoom.

Also what is going on with the home page not working on Oculus?

Both my Gear AND my Quest show the same message "Oops something went wrong etc...."

I'm beginning to think we have all been conned with devices that are NOT FIT FOR THE JOB and we should be considering compensation. A £500 piece of equipment that is full of issues?
    Also a VERY limited list of available games to play ... I bought my Quest because I wanted Slightly Heroes on a 6dof device ... They still haven't released the game after MANY requests for it.
  • SofiaQyvalarSofiaQyvalar Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Hi, this has only started happening to me too. First on VR chat, now on OrbusVR too. It looks like the game loses tracking for a second or two (which is SUPER disorienting btw), and then straight up goes back to oculus home, no crash report, no warning, nothing. Just straight up closes the game
  • hypnagogichypnagogic Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Seems to be happening to many of us. I could be playing Poker in a stationary zone and it starts bugging out to the point where it kicks me back out into Oculus home or I need to hard reboot, this also happens in other games, not limited to stationary games. 
  • SpuzzumSpuzzum Posts: 659
    Neo
    kalsolar said:
    I've  started having the same issues, especially with Superhot and REC Room but it's all happed since the recent update. So it's either that or heat related in my view. Very frustrating. 
    With the Go, it gives a warning if it's heating up. You'd think they'd use the same warning with the Quest. The Quest gets nowhere near the same heat as the Go does, even while downloading games and using a battery pack.
  • FarmerBFarmerB Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    Experienced my first series of crashes last night when playing with a friend. I've had my quest for a couple of days and this was the first play session that went on for more than an hour.

Sports Scramble randomly dropped and gave me a black screen with the 3 white dots. Controllers were unresponsive although I could still hear game sounds. Hard rebooted the quest and then when it finally rebooted the sound was all poppy and scratchy in the home menu. I got p****d off and went to sleep - I haven't even tested it today, because honestly, if the audio is still bugged I'm probably just gonna return it for a refund and move on.
    Oculus can't be charging this much for a consumer piece of equipment that has so many flaws/bugs and expect general consumers to put up with it.

I'd happily get my £500 back and buy a quest again in a couple months when they've fixed the issues.
  • pslloverspsllovers Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    i love playing cricket games. 
    regards 
    pakistansuperleague-psl
    webcric 2019
  • ximorleadixximorleadix Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Ive had a few hard crashes had to hard reboot multiple times. This has only been happening for the past week or so. Not all the time but the head set says that it lost its tracking when lighting wasn’t an issue.
        Also what happened last night, my game hard crashed , had a hard time just rebooting it. Finally got it to shut off, then I just plugged it in. Came back to it In the morning and it never seemed to charge at all. It’s fine now but I’m thinking all of these Crashes are what’s causeing the trouble.
  • swinson.krisswinson.kris Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    This has happened to me on and off seemingly at random. I read that reflective surfaces (such as the glass windows at one point in my current Guardian space) could cause issues. Same with lighting. But it doesn't seem to be at all consistent.

It just started happening every minute or two while in Accounting +, starting with a "Remove Headset" warning claiming that I had gone out of my boundaries and asked me to confirm stationary or room scale, but gave me no visual confirmation on any boundaries (just a black background with the pop-up dialogue) and it completely lost all tracking and input from my controllers. Couldn't even use the volume buttons to confirm either option in the dialogue box. I took off the headset several times with no luck (also out it to sleep by hitting Power, etc.)... I ended up setting the headset down and walking away for a few minutes and when I out it back on it put me right back into Accounting +, but has since been backing me out to the Oculus main menu every minute or so, with only one or two mention of lost tracking. Each time I check to see if I'm facing a reflective surface. Several times I've been standing in front of a fan blasting at full. No massive variation in environmental lighting (currently have two lights, one at either end of my roughly 6'x12' Guardian boundary). The headset was a little warm, but in the short time that I've read through this thread and typed this out I can feel no warmth whatsoever.

I've had the headset for less than a week (the 128GB model; $500) and have spent over $100 on games/over-priced-experiences (with limited selection), plus another $100+ to fix the lackluster audio quality and the low comfort level... so I'm already well over $700 in on this, roughly $600 directly towards Oculus/Facebook.

I'm new to VR and have been enjoying my experiences thus far, but the lack of responses by Oculus to these sort of buggy situations (albeit, I haven't opened a ticket just yet) makes me a bit hesitant to continue down the financial rabit hole. Bugs are going to appear, it's a newly released piece of hardware and load of software (and still relatively early days in VR)... But where's the support team? 
    If they're not busy approving developers into their walled garden, are they busy working on a firmware update to fix tracking issues? Have any of the above issues been addressed? 
  • gamerHuman_gamerHuman_ Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I've been having this problem too, the day I got it, it's been doing this. But, whenever i leave my guardian boundaries and went back in, the game started up again., only to crash a few minutes later. I tried hard resets but that only worked for a couple hours. Reinstalls of the game aren't working either. I think it only happens with roomscale because when I watch youtube stationary its fine.
  • VRBabe14VRBabe14 Posts: 188
    Art3mis
    edited July 26
    I'm one of the first batches pre ordered and arrived on release day. Recently had tracking issues like left index finger not pointing and losing tracking which forces me out of bigscreen and others. Updated to latest version 333700.2680.0 but previous version had the index finger issue and the ring creaks. Amazon is sending replacement so can I backup via SideQuest? And will a factory reset securely format my data?

Oculus Quest Status:
    RECEIVED Tues, May 21 2019 12:01 PM GMT
    UPDATE: FAULTY, ISSUED REPLACEMENT Fri, July 26 2019

Oculus Rift & Touch Bundle Status:
    RECEIVED Thurs, Sept 07 2017 2:38 PM GMT

Oculus Rift DK2
  • TrashpandamasterTrashpandamaster Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I was looking at this place when i had this problem, but after a bit of fidgeting, i found that it helped to make sure the lights are not to bright. Make sure your room has light, but not too much light.
  • VR-BLoOdshOtVR-BLoOdshOt Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    I hope with all the add on's side-loading etc. I hope we don't have to keep doing like a fresh reboot format every so often, but this is still a snap dragon processor, so who knows, trust me I've had every head set and every so often I always ran into some shit prob and had to do a return, a head set, controllers or base station, you name it, but i do have 3 of these Quest and all have been working quite well except for some sound crackling in 1 only during a Multiplayer session which can get annoying, but now since the update patch i loaded yesterday, nothing but crashing the games and back to the home screen.
  • VRBabe14VRBabe14 Posts: 188
    Art3mis
    @VR-BLoOdshOt - is your quest a pre order just batch? ie: received on launch day? Mine is and I'm having serious issues with overheating, lost tracking which boots me back to home and left controller index capacitive sensor glitches ie: index finger not pointing. New replacement on the way but is there a way to backup my data and restore to my new quest? Thanks
    Oculus Quest Status:
    RECEIVED Tues, May 21 2019 12:01 PM GMT
    UPDATE: FAULTY, ISSUED REPLACEMENT Fri, July 26 2019

Oculus Rift & Touch Bundle Status:
    RECEIVED Thurs, Sept 07 2017 2:38 PM GMT

Oculus Rift DK2