New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

The Index thread (please keep to subject)

Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,428 Volunteer Moderator
As per the title, please respect the users who post here and keep it on topic, any nonsense and......grrr
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

Tagged:

Comments

• LuciferousLuciferous Posts: 2,110 Valuable Player
    edited June 10
    Appreciate this has been posted before but its a good video of the index and bone works for anybody who has not seen it yet. The game will also be out for Rift S / CV1 and should be pretty cool with the touch controllers as well.

• ParadoxAnomalyParadoxAnomaly Posts: 90
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited June 10
    Hopefully we get a release date for Boneworks today at E3.

• RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 3,435 Valuable Player
    Still got little more than 7 hours to go  o:)

Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
    Similar countdown here - I think we're in for something big later today  B)

https://fwdtothepast.com/
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

edited June 10
    More cyberpiloting in Wolfie - officially this game does not support the Rift - but I'm convinced that Valve Index will be supported  ;) Game launches July 26 (in 6 weeks) - for $20.

• kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 4,691 Valuable Player
    Appreciate this is posted before but its a good video of the index and bone works for anybody who has not seen it yet. The game will also be out for Rift S / CV1 as well and should be pretty cool with the touch controllers as well.

Thanks for sharing again - agree its a great example of the separation between "Great VR" and "Good enough" - though this needs to be tempered that the team is running their Index on a "Powerful" rig, and this will be out of the grips of many of the more casual gamers'. A tricky market for them to focus on. The use of the Index controllers also shows the issues of not compromising. No matter how some will try and avoid seeing the finger tracking as a important element to the level of immersion.
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
    edited June 10
    Some close-ups from Wolfie - does look really awesome, lots of details (click to enlarge):

• ParadoxAnomalyParadoxAnomaly Posts: 90
    Hiro Protagonist
    Things to do once I get my Index setup -

1. Wiggle my fingers and make sure all those wonderful gestures are tracking as they should.

2. Crank back the Index dial so my eyeballs are just off the lenses.

3. Go into the Steam Environment and measure my FOV. I’m expecting around 120 degrees, anything more is a bonus.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1359389601

3. Head to this Starwars Environment......and check out the contrast glare and black levels.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=946366793&searchtext=

4. Head to this Environment......and check out the sharpness and overall level immersion in a photo realistic environment.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1108793505&searchtext=

5. Probably load up the Moondust demo if Boneworks isn’t ready. Or the Aperture Hand Lab demo.

6. Head for the range in Onward and test the Knuckles, gripping, loading and throwing functions.

7. Test Echo Arena and see how well Knuckles work with Revive.

8. Skyrim, Project Cars, Elite Dangerous, etc. It’s going to be a long night.

Whats your plans? 
    edited June 10
    I'll just steal yours lol but by that time, all of you would have had yours two months before me. I reckon it will be old news by then. Damn my 3 hour delay.

The glare will be interesting to see, I think this is what tested complained about optics and said worse than Rift S. I saw another article saying something similar. Does not seem to be the god rays but glare which may manifest in ED.

I'll have to slip in  'Play Lone Echo' and 'Seeking Dawn' into that list. 

I'll still have my Rift so will also like to do some direct comparisons.
    RuneSR2 said:
    Still got little more than 7 hours to go  o:)

2 hours, sigh  B)

• Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,428 Volunteer Moderator
    Watch a 2 hour movie, the time will fly ;)
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

Movie sounds fine, if I can decide which movie to see, hmmm

Image result for waiting animated gif

Easy = Ready Player One  :p

edited June 10
    I wish I had that dilemma I'm working 

Oh and you want to watch Existenz :)

'Death to the demoness Allegra Geller.'
    RuneSR2 said:
    Movie sounds fine, if I can decide which movie to see, hmmm

Image result for waiting animated gif

1 minute  :)

edited June 10
    Soulkeeper VR, Disciples of Dawn and Rogan looked nice - and then there were some of the usual suspects. But Pistol Whip did look especially great (dude in trailer uses Index), although not really convincing me of getting a 2080 Ti ;) Pistol Whip did remind me of Super Hot... With music... lol

Soulkeeper:

Rogan:

Disciples of Dawn:

After the Fall:

After the Fall is like Lone Echo 2 not out before next year, so such games have little interest to me for now. Undead Citadel looked nice, but not much footage, I hope they can finish the game this year...

Not sure you need Index for any of these games though... Maybe not a good thing to see so many devs spending their time on phoneVR (Quest)... 

Hmmm nothing ringing my bells there.
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,035 Valuable Player
    I was wondering what had happened to Soulkeeper!

Rogan looks pretty cool too.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 1,568 Valuable Player
    snowdog said:
    I was wondering what had happened to Soulkeeper!

Rogan looks pretty cool too.

I've been following them since the early days. They've been steadily updating it. I've been waiting for it to get to a true playable state. They post a good bit on their discord.

I've also been following Rogan as well and I'm excited to try it

edited June 10
    They did show Asgard's Wrath and Lone Echo 2, but no Stormlands, Population One, Defector, Borderlands 2 VR, No Man's Sky VR, District Steel etc., so I agree it was an underwhelming collection of upcoming VR games, even felt slightly depressing with all those low-poly, no-textures Quest games. This one could be fun though, maybe just to reduce stress or for the kids, it's a real PCVR game by the Swedish team behind Apex Construct:

And kinda worrying that I just tried an old app from 2016 and it felt more impressive than any other VR experience I've had maybe since Lone Echo and Moss, namely The Lab ;) I really hope Valve can make some more content soon...

edited June 10
    RuneSR2 said:
    They did show Asgard's Wrath and Lone Echo 2, but no Stormlands, Population One, Defector, Borderlands 2 VR, No Man's Sky VR, District Steel etc., so I agree it was an underwhelming collection of upcoming VR games, even felt slightly depressing with all those low-poly, no-textures Quest games. This one could be fun though, maybe just to reduce stress or for the kids, it's a real PCVR game by the Swedish team behind Apex Construct:

And kinda worrying that I just tried an old app from 2016 and it felt more impressive than any other VR experience I've had maybe since Lone Echo and Moss, namely The Lab ;) I really hope Valve can make some more content soon...
    Maybe I'm in the minority but I was intrigued by several of the games they showed. 
    After The Fall, The New WIzards expansion, Disciples of Dawn, Low-Fi (looks sick), Walking Dead looked meh but I'll probably play it. Undead Citadel looks good, Boneworks, Battlewake, SoulkeeperVR, Rogan, Espire1, Curious what exactly Solaris Offworld Combat is, Part 3 of Primordian, And Pistol Whip looked fun to me. 

So yea, maybe not a bunch of state of the art stuff, but games I'm looking forward to at any rate. 

edited June 10
    Here I'll link the trailers - 
    Primordian

After The Fall

SoulkeeperVR

Boneworks

Walking Dead

Lowfi

Wizards Dark Times

Pistol Whip

Disciples of Dawn

Undead Citadel

Battlewake

Rogan Thief in the Castle

Espire1

Solaris Offworld Combat
    Espire, bone-works, After the fall sounds good but not much released on that.

Not really loving Rogan, only seeing one enemy type and the physics seems off.

Bethesda disappoints again, where is Redfall? I wish they would deliver something people want instead of their terrible online concepts.
    I'm sure something will pop up to surprise one and all :)

Maybe we should start the Frunk Club, I'm starting to believe o:)

That would be frunky :)  I do have a leap motion (V1.0) wonder if it fits? I used to Velcro it on the Rift until the touch controllers made it obsolete.
  • WildtWildt Posts: 2,008 Valuable Player
    edited June 11
    RuneSR2 said:

Erhh.. a usb hub? Doesn't quite pick up on my wow-o-meter.
    PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
    PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
    WMR: HP Reverb
    I was thinking rumble pack
  • kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 4,691 Valuable Player
    edited June 11
    RuneSR2 said:

Thanks for sharing.
    This is what excites me with Valve Index - the return of the DIY element to the Prosumer VR community - the mod enjoyment of this phase of VR adoption. Though not mainstream, it will be great to see all the [FrunkClub] pet projects. It was the loss of this element of the scene when the gates closed behind DK2 development that I missed. Some really great pet projects died when the corporate mindset took over and closed the door on open source (-that lip service release of the DK1 opensource was way too little way too late). Now with the "Frunk" slot, I look forward to some weird concepts that drive innovation. 
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959