The Index thread (please keep to subject) - Page 15 — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

The Index thread (please keep to subject)

1121315171836

Comments

  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 3,094 Valuable Player
    pyroth309 said:

    I pretty much decided that I'm going to return mine and go for a Reverb or Pimax or something with 2.0 light house. 
     That is sad news  :'(  

    I might consider Rift-S if they fix the headphones. Maybe it's best to wait a least 6 months after the launch of a new HMD before getting one - seems to take a lot of testing to get everything right these days. I got the CV1 about 1 year post-launch, it's been perfect ever since. But having to wait 1 year for Rift-S or Index  :#  :D 
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

    "Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 3,094 Valuable Player
    kevinw729 said:
    The is an excellent overview of the situation and its reasons regarding the Valve Index controller issues:


    It's easy to fix - but I don't think I'll risk my warranty, lol


    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

    "Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 3,094 Valuable Player
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

    "Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • WildtWildt Posts: 1,962 Valuable Player
    Can't believe people have to DIY fix $300 controllers.
    PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
    PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
    WMR: HP Reverb (arriving shortly)
  • FangzhouFangzhou Posts: 41
    Brain Burst
    For me the biggest problem of Rift S is that the HMD image slightly jittering after fast movement. This makes me feel dizzy when dancing in VRChat. Actually this problem can be tested with tap test. I am pretty sure even PSVR does not have this issue, and my OG Rift CV1 also works fine, so Index HMD tracking must be better than Rift S. (Maybe all of WMR/Lighthouse/OG Rift CV1 HMD tracking should be better than Rift S. ) Another minor problem is the microphone. The quality of Rift S microphone is a significant downgrade from CV1, and of course much worse than Index. This is not the deal breaker though, but many friends in VRChat said that my voice sounds “robotic” and they can hear noises as if I was using a cheap voice changer. 
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 3,094 Valuable Player
    edited July 4
    My favorite review today - I'm starting to think the reviewer is right, it's probably best not to buy the Index until Valve has fixed the controllers and provides acceptable customer support:


    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

    "Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,581 Valuable Player
    Well if HTC Cosmos comes in at a good price they might just be onto a winner. If HTC Cosmos is £599, then I'd say that would be a fair price given it has a higher resolution then Rift S. Also has headphones, ipd adjuster and an extra camera. I expect it will be £699 to £749 though and I'd have to think about it if it's £699. Anymore then that and it's a definite no from me.
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,380 Volunteer Moderator
    I stand by my guess of £799 mate
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,581 Valuable Player
    edited July 4
    Techy111 said:
    I stand by my guess of £799 mate

    Yeah, and given the problems with some of these VR headsets you would think HTC would be shouting from the rooftops if they were going to sell theirs at a good price. They've already said that £900 is to high, but £799 isn't exactly low is it? I'm thinking it's going to be £749, which would be just a bit to high for my liking.
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,380 Volunteer Moderator
    Agreed matey
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,401 Valuable Player
    pyroth309 said:
    I pretty much decided that I'm going to return mine

    Welcome back, buddy! <3
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 6,991 Valuable Player
    RuneSR2 said:
    My favorite review today - I'm starting to think the reviewer is right, it's probably best not to buy the Index until Valve has fixed the controllers and provides acceptable customer support:



    I don't think they will fix the controllers. Having shite analog sticks is a 'feature' according to them lol :D
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

    Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 3,094 Valuable Player
    snowdog said:
    RuneSR2 said:
    My favorite review today - I'm starting to think the reviewer is right, it's probably best not to buy the Index until Valve has fixed the controllers and provides acceptable customer support:



    I don't think they will fix the controllers. Having shite analog sticks is a 'feature' according to them lol :D
    That's one serious issue, but the most serious issue to me is the nearly complete lack of responses from Valve. Users get no or automatic responses, strange if Valve Support should be completely overwhelmed at the moment. People can't even refund or return the hardware, but I guess Valve must fix this shortly. Having to repair a large number of Knuckles - and paying for the shipping - may be the hard math Valve is working on just now - and the other returns. .
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

    "Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 1,568 Valuable Player
    Zenbane said:
    pyroth309 said:
    I pretty much decided that I'm going to return mine

    Welcome back, buddy! <3
    What am I back from? I said from the start that I would return it if it didn't live up to my standards. I don't engage in console wars.

    I just want a great high end VR option and Index looked to be what I was after. But the specs didn't show how bad the glare is and that pretty much squashed it for me. Much as I tried to ignore it, the fact that it was there continued to bug me and should not be a thing on a $1k headset kit. If it wasn't for that I would have been completely content with it. Back to the waiting game with my O+ lol. 
  • pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 1,568 Valuable Player
    edited July 4
    RuneSR2 said:
    snowdog said:
    RuneSR2 said:
    My favorite review today - I'm starting to think the reviewer is right, it's probably best not to buy the Index until Valve has fixed the controllers and provides acceptable customer support:



    I don't think they will fix the controllers. Having shite analog sticks is a 'feature' according to them lol :D
    That's one serious issue, but the most serious issue to me is the nearly complete lack of responses from Valve. Users get no or automatic responses, strange if Valve Support should be completely overwhelmed at the moment. People can't even refund or return the hardware, but I guess Valve must fix this shortly. Having to repair a large number of Knuckles - and paying for the shipping - may be the hard math Valve is working on just now - and the other returns. .
    Yep, probably overwhelmed with returns over the knuckles sticks. I will charge back if I have to but I'm going to give them time to work it out. It will result in my account being unable to buy anything anymore but I have more than one account for that reason. For 1k bucks, yea I'll charge back lol.

    I may just sell mine for a profit while people are still trying to get them because I actually have knuckles that work heh. 
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,401 Valuable Player
    pyroth309 said:
    Zenbane said:
    pyroth309 said:
    I pretty much decided that I'm going to return mine

    Welcome back, buddy! <3
    What am I back from? I said from the start that I would return

    Right, you said you would return, and now you did. Soooo, welcome back. We really gonna argue about how returning works? lol
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 1,568 Valuable Player
    Zenbane said:
    pyroth309 said:
    Zenbane said:
    pyroth309 said:
    I pretty much decided that I'm going to return mine

    Welcome back, buddy! <3
    What am I back from? I said from the start that I would return

    Right, you said you would return, and now you did. Soooo, welcome back. We really gonna argue about how returning works? lol
    lmao fair enough. 
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,401 Valuable Player
    pyroth309 said:
    Zenbane said:
    pyroth309 said:
    Zenbane said:
    pyroth309 said:
    I pretty much decided that I'm going to return mine

    Welcome back, buddy! <3
    What am I back from? I said from the start that I would return

    Right, you said you would return, and now you did. Soooo, welcome back. We really gonna argue about how returning works? lol
    lmao fair enough. 

    No worries. I meant nothing by that comment btw. I've had just been lurking in this thread and appreciate all the information shared. I am much like you in that I have yet to feel fully invested in any of these new HMD's. I'm getting much closer to buying the Rift-S now that there have been so many good reports after the last update. But I haven't quite gone through with the purchase yet. Even though you and I argue passionately on occasion, I still look favorably upon you and your posts. I honestly meant nothing negative by the welcome back comment. In fact, I felt it would be more of an 'inside joke' that you and I understood based on our overall history together on the forum.

    Anywho, cheers!
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 1,568 Valuable Player
    edited July 4
    Zenbane said:
    pyroth309 said:
    Zenbane said:
    pyroth309 said:
    Zenbane said:
    pyroth309 said:
    I pretty much decided that I'm going to return mine

    Welcome back, buddy! <3
    What am I back from? I said from the start that I would return

    Right, you said you would return, and now you did. Soooo, welcome back. We really gonna argue about how returning works? lol
    lmao fair enough. 

    No worries. I meant nothing by that comment btw. I've had just been lurking in this thread and appreciate all the information shared. I am much like you in that I have yet to feel fully invested in any of these new HMD's. I'm getting much closer to buying the Rift-S now that there have been so many good reports after the last update. But I haven't quite gone through with the purchase yet. Even though you and I argue passionately on occasion, I still look favorably upon you and your posts. I honestly meant nothing negative by the welcome back comment. In fact, I felt it would be more of an 'inside joke' that you and I understood based on our overall history together on the forum.

    Anywho, cheers!
    It's all good. If I didn't' have an O+ I'd probably consider the Rift-S but they're pretty similar headsets. Likely better tracking now with the Rift-S with the latest update(Previous update I'd put the WMR above because you could track close to the headset) but the O+ has better colors and blacks. I'll just use my CV1 for the Oculus exclusives until something substantially better comes out. I might actually consider the Cosmos now after scoffing at it but I'll wait to see if that 6th camera fixes my biggest problem with inside out and that's doing things around your belt area without looking down there. As a taller guy it's a problem with Quest and O+ and it's immersion killing. 
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 3,094 Valuable Player
    A great issue is when representatives of a large company start to lie - and saying that it's expected that the Knuckles thumbsticks may not click or correctly register being activated is to the best of my knowledge a lie: 



    This isn't good either, could be a random error, but fits what other users have been experiencing quite perfectly:


    Here's a thread making it possible to follow some responses - or lack of responses - from Valve Support:

    https://www.reddit.com/r/ValveIndex/comments/c92fvu/rma_status_sharing/
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

    "Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 1,568 Valuable Player
    edited July 4
    RuneSR2 said:
    A great issue is when representatives of a large company start to lie - and saying that it's expected that the Knuckles thumbsticks may not click or correctly register being activated is to the best of my knowledge a lie: 

    Yep, tells you all you need to know about how many people are returning. I submitted my return request today. We'll see how long it takes to get a response. Considering these things are selling for $16-1700 unopened on ebay I may just market mine as working knuckles and try to get $1400 for it lol. 
  • SpuzzumSpuzzum Posts: 483
    Trinity
    "In addition, we do expect that all thumbsticks should be able to actuate when tilted, though this might not produce the feel of a click."

    What about the fact that when tilted forward to teleport, it loses contact and teleports you before releasing the thumbstick? Lon.tv said that in his video.
  • hoppingbunny123hoppingbunny123 Posts: 522
    Trinity
    i like to think of him as a gogo yubari type swing instead


    i aint no gogo yubari though. not in apex legends.

    heres my twitch showing me play apex legends if you want to watch an amateur play for fun;



  • SpuzzumSpuzzum Posts: 483
    Trinity
    kojack said:
    I generally hate clicking thumbsticks while they aren't centred (urgh, running in arizona sunshine), but the controllers still should be able to handle it. Clickable thumbsticks has been a solved problem for many years.



    Wait...you can run in Arizona Sunshine? I never knew that. :P
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,401 Valuable Player
    You have to click while pushing the Thumbstick forward to run in SkyrimVR as well.
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,581 Valuable Player
    edited July 4
    I just hope VR companies learn from all this and stop launching VR headsets that aren't ready for the consumer market. If they carry on doing this then expect to have a lot of returns and some bad press. Nobody is telling these companies to rush these headsets out unfinished.
    Yes there will still be faults like you can get with any electronics from time to time, but not like the ones we are seeing now. These companies must be aware of the problems on their VR headsets when they test them, but they are still going ahead and launching them anyway. All this has done is made me hold of from buying any of these headsets for now.
  • SpuzzumSpuzzum Posts: 483
    Trinity
    I hate to say this, but I'm kinda glad Valve snuffed Canada. After hearing reviews, I'm not sure I'd want the godrays or reduced sweetspot, or wonky controllers that customer service doesn't really want to deal with. I'll wait for OC6 to see what Oculus means by 'a new chapter'...

    "The future we’ve all been working towards starts here. It’s our moment to think bigger, build smarter, and realize the true potential of what we’ve created together. This year, we hope you’ll join us to begin a new chapter of virtual and augmented reality."

    https://www.oculusconnect.com/
  • kojackkojack Posts: 5,456 Volunteer Moderator
    Spuzzum said:
    I hate to say this, but I'm kinda glad Valve snuffed Canada. After hearing reviews, I'm not sure I'd want the godrays or reduced sweetspot, or wonky controllers that customer service doesn't really want to deal with. I'll wait for OC6 to see what Oculus means by 'a new chapter'...
    Not being able to buy it in Aus means its easier to wait to see what happens. :)
  • LuciferousLuciferous Posts: 2,078 Valuable Player
    kojack said:
    Spuzzum said:
    I hate to say this, but I'm kinda glad Valve snuffed Canada. After hearing reviews, I'm not sure I'd want the godrays or reduced sweetspot, or wonky controllers that customer service doesn't really want to deal with. I'll wait for OC6 to see what Oculus means by 'a new chapter'...
    Not being able to buy it in Aus means its easier to wait to see what happens. :)
    Good way to turn that frown upside down M8 lol
Sign In or Register to comment.