The Index thread (please keep to subject) - Page 19 — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

The Index thread (please keep to subject)

Comments

• Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,386 Volunteer Moderator
    Hmm not sure I am that brave or curious :) Remember in the old days when you could go to the shops and look at things ..sigh.
    I remember those days ;)
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

• kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 4,628 Valuable Player
    Techy111 said:
    Amazon sell them, if you are a prime member you could order one for testing purposes and return.....errrr keep ;)

When a previous executive promised to send the LBE 5K+ (B) units over for review and they do not appear, that kind of tells me enough of what I need to know. Then going on Amazon to "hope" consumer versions will turn up... nah will pass. Good luck Pimax! Sorry strayed off Index..[slaps wrist] - back on Index topic.

Just watched the latest TESTED VR Minute - those guys seem conflicted on how they rate the severity of the Knuckles situation. I hope they are not playing to the gallery.
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
  • SkScotcheggSkScotchegg Posts: 1,224
    Wintermute
    I don’t really have an option with FOV being a High priority on my want list.

I cant go back to binocular Vision. Wish I could try an index out.

That's always been my number 1 priority, imagine if CV1 had of released with 140 fov or 180 fov! Just imagine how amazing that would have been.

I really hope Rift CV2 has at least 180 fov, hopefully all future HMD's increase their FOV.

That's the one thing I'm jealous of Pimax owners for having 200 degrees FOV. But the reason I didn't get PImax is because it seems like it had a few problems and didn't have decent controllers. The feeling I got from watching YouTube reviews was that Pimax was difficult to use, hard to setup and had many issues. Like you would need to spend a lot of time tweaking it with software etc.

Where as with Rift you just put it on and play.

One thing I will say I'm surprised about with regards to Valve Index reviews is that when Valve Index was first presented to us as pre-order it was made to seem like it had a massive increase in FOV, didn't they say 130 fov? or something like that, or was that just a rumour? Maybe I'm wrong, hopefully someone can clarify what the FOV was initially said to be? 

But in the most recent reviews from people who have a Valve Index they're saying "the fov is only slightly increased". So I'm surprised about that.

I would have thought people coming from Rift CV1 to Valve Index would have been like "WOW! THE FOV INCREASE IS AMAZING!!!" But that's not what I'm seeing so far.

I guess I'll have to wait and see when mine arrives for myself but I'm going to keep an open mind. I might tell myself to expect the same FOV as Rift S and then if it's even slightly better I will be happy.
    UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!
    The Fov increase with the hp reverb was 114 but whilst it seemed better left to right, up and down seemed reduced. But the res made up for it. One day proper 4k with 220 fov will happen ;)
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

• jabjab Posts: 199
    Art3mis
    With 'only' 4K at 220 fov it will probably look worse resolution wise then what we have today. And 4K VR would be pushing even next gen graphics cards.
    So solving the foveated rendering challenge (eye tracking) is probably the key to having our dream VR headset in the near future. With foveated rendering suddenly almost any resolution display (8K+) would be feasible from a graphics card performance viewpoint.
    Wintermute
    jab said:
    With 'only' 4K at 220 fov it will probably look worse resolution wise then what we have today. And 4K VR would be pushing even next gen graphics cards.
    So solving the foveated rendering challenge (eye tracking) is probably the key to having our dream VR headset in the near future. With foveated rendering suddenly almost any resolution display (8K+) would be feasible from a graphics card performance viewpoint.

I get what your saying and I agree with what your saying, your logic seems sound.

But I would still hope we get FOV increases at least to 180 with current tech and current technology in the mean time.
  • LuciferousLuciferous Posts: 2,082 Valuable Player
    I think the 130-135 is derived from the additional vertical FOV. I presume that is why you get so many differing reports. I would thought horizontal FOV improvement would be the most noticeable.
  • OculusHomieOculusHomie Posts: 29
    Brain Burst
    I get 110 with the Index and 140 on a friends Pimax. The image quality on the Pimax is very good but the SDE on the Index is slightly less. Blacks are about the same. 

My Index just works with just about everything including Revive. My mates Pimax has more problems with certain steam titles and on revive. 

There are zero distortions with the Index it’s perfect but a lot of distortions on the Pimax on the outer 3rd. There’s some room wobble on the Pimax too. 

I’d be happy with either but the Index is a more mainstream device with less bugs/niggles.

My Index controllers work with his Pimax.
  • jabjab Posts: 199
    Art3mis
    edited July 13

That's one of the main benefits with SteamVR. It's not tied to a single brand, allowing you to mix and match to better suite your needs/wallet.
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 6,995 Valuable Player

I'll just leave this here...

:D :p :D
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 3,129 Valuable Player
    August 31 arrived quite a bit sooner than expected, I'm unsure if Valve can fix the Knuckles that fast - if C-3PO calculated the odds that Valve has fixed anything, not sure I want to hear them, lol. 

Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
    Are you gonna take the plunge mate ?

snowdog said:

I'll just leave this here...

:D :p :D
    I'm still thinking that your hands are too exposed using new Touch.

Yesterday a Rift-S owner posted a picture where he was bleeding from a cut thumb - seems he'd hit a sharp edge on his PC metal case. Maybe you can't show such pics on Reddit, at least the post and the comments have been removed (or I couldn't find it)  - but today there's this:

I don't know if Knuckles are better, but they seem to provide some hand protection. Maybe old Touch is still king - during the last years, I've hit walls many times, even really hard - never experienced any cuts on my hands or fingers - and never experienced broken controllers. Did knock one Touch out once, but just had to take out the battery and insert it - and all was fine. 
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

edited July 13
    Techy111 said:
    I think so, but I'd like to stall it as long as possible to increase odds of Valve fixing the Knuckles, it seems I've only got 7 days... 

edited July 13
    Either Valve ramped up production (probably not likely) or many have cancelled their Index pre-orders (probably likely) explaining why persons expecting to get the Index in August or September are able to buy the Index (full kit) now. It's all over Reddit - a lot persons waiting are now able to purchase. But it seems a lot will not purchase until the Knuckles have been confirmed fixed. 

• Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,700 Valuable Player
    MIne is August 31st as well but just headset and controllers.  Not had any notification mail yet.

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,596 Valuable Player
    @RuneSR2 - Do you get an email notification when your Valve index is ready, or is it just a message on Steam?
  • arudesea5566arudesea5566 Posts: 8
    NerveGear
    RedRizla said:
    @RuneSR2 - Do you get an email notification when your Valve index is ready, or is it just a message on Steam?
    You get an email, and it seems they are prioritizing full kit orders.  I preordered a full kit on June 12 and got my email yesterday. 
    RedRizla said:

Like arudesea5566 said, you get an email and then when you log into Steam and find the Valve Index page, it no longer says "reserved", but something like "buy now". I think I'll wait until Friday next week, I'm not in a hurry.  

• pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 1,568 Valuable Player
    RuneSR2 said:
    Techy111 said:
    I think so, but I'd like to stall it as long as possible to increase odds of Valve fixing the Knuckles, it seems I've only got 7 days... 

Well, my opinion hasn't changed much after using it for a couple of weeks so this will probably be the last post on my impressions of it but I'll sum up some things one more time.  

It's kind of frustrating for me that there's so much that I do like about the HMD and the optics (clarity, no blur from edge to edge, SDE is beyond the threshold of it being a problem etc) and it gets negated by glare for me in possibly as many as 1/5th to 1/4th of my games. I really love the comfort of the headset and the Audio is superb....as long as you're in a fairly quiet room. After doing some testing on it with the help of a friend, you definitely can still hear your surroundings while playing. 

Seems I hit the lotto with my knuckles as my thumb sticks work great. The knuckles are as nice as I thought they'd be to use without having to hold on to them. Once I got my hand positioning figured out, finger tracking works good and pretty reliably. Every now and again I'll get some anomalies but for the most part it does what I want. It's definitely not a fully natural tracking though and does take some getting used to. Just need more games to fully utilize it now. 

Speaking of tracking, With this I have no issue anywhere in my space. Really enjoyable to play my games how I want. I can move my hands as fast and as violently as I want, do windmills, do whatever and it tracks everything perfectly. The highlight of the kit by far. I'm not sure how much better this is over the 1.0 base stations as I've only used a Vive once in 2017 and the one I used had some Jitter, but this kit is flawless to my perceptions.  

I also noticed that if I lose power (which I've been having blinks with the hurricane lol) my base stations activate when the power returns. I have them set to go to sleep when I close SteamVR. If power is interrupted, they will both be on when it comes back on. I have to launch SteamVR and close it again to sleep them again. That's pretty much the extent of the problems I've encountered so far. No issues with software. 

Overall, Knuckles and Base stations are great and the HMD has a lot of great features that I love but I will likely upgrade the HMD to something higher res without glare at first opportunity. For now, i'm enjoying it. 
    edited July 14
    Pyroth309 said:

Speaking of tracking, With this I have no issue anywhere in my space. Really enjoyable to play my games how I want. I can move my hands as fast and as violently as I want, do windmills, do whatever and it tracks everything perfectly.

edited July 14
    Bloody heck!!!! Go pyroth.

Pyroth309 said:

Speaking of tracking, With this I have no issue anywhere in my space. Really enjoyable to play my games how I want. I can move my hands as fast and as violently as I want, do windmills, do whatever and it tracks everything perfectly.

Never could do that with Touch without losing tracking, awesome that it's finally possible with Knuckles! ;)

RuneSR2 said:
    Either Valve ramped up production (probably not likely) or many have cancelled their Index pre-orders (probably likely) explaining why persons expecting to get the Index in August or September are able to buy the Index (full kit) now. It's all over Reddit - a lot persons waiting are now able to purchase. But it seems a lot will not purchase until the Knuckles have been confirmed fixed. 
    As much as I would love to hear your review, If I were you I would wait. I see a lot of people cancelling reserves on reddit at the moment with the same concerns other the controller issue. I don't think missing the reserve will now mean an enormous delay in you getting one.
    Wintermute
    I get 110 with the Index and 140 on a friends Pimax. The image quality on the Pimax is very good but the SDE on the Index is slightly less. Blacks are about the same. 

My Index just works with just about everything including Revive. My mates Pimax has more problems with certain steam titles and on revive. 

There are zero distortions with the Index it’s perfect but a lot of distortions on the Pimax on the outer 3rd. There’s some room wobble on the Pimax too. 

I’d be happy with either but the Index is a more mainstream device with less bugs/niggles.

Thanks for the info mate. How are the knuckle controllers for you? Any issues like others have reported? Do they work fine for all games? Like Onward/Beat Saber/Audica/Pavlov/In Death etc? Have you tried a lot of games?

The Index sounds perfect to me, but the only thing that worries me is the reports of faulty knuckle controllers, can you please put my mind at ease?
    I think this is also where the FOV reviews differ. If the Vive is 110 at best and the CV1 95-100, depending what headset you had previously and how much you dial it in, you are going to see a bigger comparative difference. 
    Wintermute
    I think this is also where the FOV reviews differ. If the Vive is 110 at best and the CV1 95-100, depending what headset you had previously and how much you dial it in, you are going to see a bigger comparative difference. 

Yeah that would make sense. Perhaps then Rift CV1 owners will notice the biggest the difference. I'm staying optimistic that it will be better then what us Rift CV1/S owners have now.
    Still pretty disappointing though, to be told its 130 and others saying a bit bigger than the Vive Pffttt. 20 degrees should be a massive difference.
  • dburnedburne Posts: 2,608 Valuable Player
    Still pretty disappointing though, to be told its 130 and others saying a bit bigger than the Vive Pffttt. 20 degrees should be a massive difference.
    Maybe they are learning how to use Pimax math LOL.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case|