The Index thread (please keep to subject) - Page 23 — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

The Index thread (please keep to subject)

Comments

• Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,692 Valuable Player
    Well I get SDE retina burn-in sometimes especially noticeable when blinking. It passes. There's a thread about this somewhere.

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
  • EvileyesEvileyes Posts: 344
    Trinity
    Yes, im going to lay low for a bit, this is freaking me out. Going to wait a few days to see if this clears up. I hope no permanent damage is done. I will lose my shit for sure.
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 3,051 Valuable Player
    Evileyes said:
    Yesterday I took the day off, and was playing Skyrim VR all day in my index running at 120hz, and I must say I was in awe multiple times just looking around this world, INSANE!!!! However. (one of the best VR experiences ive had to date)

I hope this is some kind of temporary issue but, my FUCKING eye site is jacked up, as I wright this I see the text with ghost text slightly above it. I thought it was sleep in my eyes so I went into the bathroom splashed my eyes a ton of times, used eye drops etc.. and I still see ghost text above all my text. And im tripping HARD. My eye sight has been perfect my whole life, and I have to assume the long session of the index did this to me. (ive spent countless hours in the Vive Pro, no issues EVER) Please anyone else experience this issue I'm facing?  I'm hoping this will subside.

Sounds strange, haven't seen this described on Reddit, currently even blue light eye damage doesn't seem to have much evidence to support that theory - and I think brightness is higher on the OLED screens, like:

Luminance in nits:

• Index: 95

• Vive Pro: 143

• Vive: 214

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/ValveIndex/comments/c0nziw/index_brightness_blackpoint_and_gamut_measurements/

I'd recommend seeing a doctor if the eye problem just occurred and hasn't gone away, there may be many different causes behind such symptoms. 
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
    Techy111 said:
    Mate you may need an eye test to rule anything out. Asap. Stop VR'ing for now until you have had a test and mention VR to the Optician ok?
    Fully agree, get it checked immediately if the symptoms persist.
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

Trinity
    Interesting note, I just did a self test and closed each eye. My right eye is fine, the left eye seems to be the effected one. This is really weird, nothing remotely has ever effected my eye site before.
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 6,989 Valuable Player
    Including that rug... :D

@Techy111 good one man. Yeh c'mon spill thee beans Rune. £1000 bux on yourself how much on the missus? And to put things in perspective for you. I bought the Microsoft Laptop 2 for just under a £1000 for my missus this year and took her to dinner at The Shard.

:p 

Should do what I did with my ex-girlfriend. Bought her a pair of slippers and a vibrator and told her if she didn't like the slippers she could go and fuck herself. :D

Like I said earlier when you get divorced make sure she gets the kids and you get the PC and VR headsets. You'll thank me later. :p
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
    Well that doesn't sound too good :o

Maybe you just overdone things?
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

• Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,351 Volunteer Moderator
    Our dominant eyes are usually the first to suffer, as you said, just lay low but if probs persist see a doctor, trust me, I've been a paramedic for 17 years now bend over? Errr maybe not ;)
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

Trinity
    Will do, thanks Techy111!
  • SkScotcheggSkScotchegg Posts: 1,200
    Wintermute
    RuneSR2 said:
    2017:

2019:

Seems like everything's there ;)

Looks well sexy! I'm jelous! haha

But LOL @ your rug!  :p
    UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!
    edited July 23
    Forget the rug we can actually see Rune and his living space in the reflection on the Index. Love that lampshade fella, I guess you are really painting a picture of yourself in this thread. Spider-Man blu-rays, Persian rugs, expensive cruises. And that comparison pic of the Oculus box with the Index which is painstakingly recreated in the exact same spot give an inch or two. The fact it might take you "hours" to set-up the base-stations correctly do I detect a hint of OCD?

Had you simply been a man and setup the headset already and post some early impressions I wouldn't have to sit here and over-analyse your photos whilst I wait...

:D  

• LuciferousLuciferous Posts: 2,071 Valuable Player
    edited July 23
    I used to get a Pain in my right eye if Playing too long (6 hrs Skyrim) Went away after a day though so hopefully yours will Correct themselves.
    edited July 23
    Hopefully Rune is getting some time in now ahead of the wife's day tomorrow. Not sure if he will have time to post any first impressions though. Pyroth posted some good impressions but seems hampered by the glare and felt strongly enough to sell it. Hopefully Rune doesn't share the same sentiment.

edited July 23
    Base stations are up, Windows can see them, while SteamVR can't (says I need to enable Bluetooth although it's on), but I haven't connected the HMD yet - starting to doubt that it'll work with the CV1 connected. The base stations are quiet, but not silent. They have a very high-pitched sound, while CV1 sensors of course are totally silent. When Bluetooth is working in SteamVR it should be possible to turn off the base stations. Knuckles lack the clicking sound, but I need to check if the movement still registers. 

Yeh they vibrate and can get louder if left on for long periods. Not sure if V2s are any better.

Yeh they vibrate and can get louder if left on for long periods. Not sure if V2s are any better.

If they're not any better then @vannagirl will be ordering some TOMORROW!!! :D

Pleasedontrunmeoverpleasedontrunmeover

• pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 1,568 Valuable Player
    edited July 23
    RuneSR2 said:
    Base stations are up, Windows can see them, while SteamVR can't (says I need to enable Bluetooth although it's on), but I haven't connected the HMD yet - starting to doubt that it'll work with the CV1 connected. The base stations are quiet, but not silent. They have a very high-pitched sound, while CV1 sensors of course are totally silent. When Bluetooth is working in SteamVR it should be possible to turn off the base stations. Knuckles lack the clicking sound, but I need to check if the movement still registers. 
    Yea I think you need the HMD connected. You can set them to turn off when you close SteamVR in the settings. It works good except when power is interrupted. Then they come back on.   :|

I think it's in Steam VR Settings > Base Station > Power Management > Enable Power Management

My base stations had a high pitched sound but I could only hear it if the room was dead silent and I was close to them. I've seen some people say theirs are pretty loud on reddit so seems to be some variance. If they're very loud I'd be concerned. 
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,377 Valuable Player
    Evileyes said:
    Interesting note, I just did a self test and closed each eye. My right eye is fine, the left eye seems to be the effected one. This is really weird, nothing remotely has ever effected my eye site before.

It's because you keep switching between so many non-Oculus HMD's! Stop it!

In all seriousness, get your ass to a doctor dude. Like, right fk'in now. After you read this post, leave your home and head to the nearest Medical Emergency Center. You don't wanna end up like this bloke:

Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
    Zenbane said:
    Evileyes said:

It's because you keep switching between so many non-Oculus HMD's! Stop it!

In all seriousness, get your ass to a doctor dude. Like, right fk'in now. After you read this post, leave your home and head to the nearest Medical Emergency Center. You don't wanna end up like this bloke:

There are indeed numerous causes that can lead to permanent eye damage, most often - and hopefully in Evileyes case - symptoms will be gone shortly, but if you get an occlusion (small blood clot) of an artery supplying the retina - or the visual cortex (=stroke) - permanent damage can happen quite fast. Not to mention the massive amount of diseases that can affect your retina directly. That's why it's important to get a proper examination asap in case of persistent eye problems. Over here we can call an emergency number (open 24H of course) and talk to medical personnel who will let you know what you should do. 

edited July 24
    pyroth309 said:

Yea I think you need the HMD connected. You can set them to turn off when you close SteamVR in the settings. It works good except when power is interrupted. Then they come back on.   :| 

I think it's in Steam VR Settings > Base Station > Power Management > Enable Power Management

My base stations had a high pitched sound but I could only hear it if the room was dead silent and I was close to them. I've seen some people say theirs are pretty loud on reddit so seems to be some variance. If they're very loud I'd be concerned. 

The elderly probably won't hear the base stations, and 3-4 meters (10 feet) away I don't hear them either, but standing in the center of the play area with 1-2 meters to each station they can be heard. I don't think it'll be a problem in games or if they can be turned off completely using Bluetooth, but being on constantly could be a deal-breaker to me. Would feel like having some sort of tinnitus when being in the room and not using the HMD, lol. But they do look cute together  :)

Seems I'm not alone, but it will depend on noise levels in the room - if you have a loud rig, base stations won't be a problem, but my rig is extremely silent - much like this dude:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ValveIndex/comments/c8689b/base_stations_noise_is_driving_me_insane_is_there/

Well if you add the fact the earphones are off the ear as well, would imagine that may be annoying. I have tinitus and my PC sounds like a fork lift truck when its going for it and for VR that is nearly all the time, so doubt I may notice.
    BTW, unboxing the Index isn't hard, but when evaluating the kit and therefore trying to break as little as possible, maybe this unboxing video is of some help:

There're several unboxing videos on YouTube, but not all have the full kit and some jump ahead too fast, while IGN is quite thorough. BTW, it's not possible to try the kit without ruining some of the wrapping (like the cable paper wrapping for the base stations), but that should be no big deal. But do be careful not to scratch the hardware - Valve will subtract an amount if a kit is returned with any visible damage to the hardware. And no, I'm not about to return mine, still need to try it on - hopefully later today. 

• hoppingbunny123hoppingbunny123 Posts: 512
    Trinity
    edited July 24
    to the guy with the eye problems, the lenses of vr headsets up a technique to send an image to the macula, which means the back of the eye. i assume the image went too far back into the macula which  caused pressure, like a bruise or blood in the eye. if so then apply ice to your eye and look for an eye doctor to make sure the bleeding stopped. when you sleep dont sleep on the side of the bad eye or on your back.
    Eye problems are a definite cause for concern and should be taken seriously. 

I used my Index for several hours at a time and had no eye strain. It was less strain than my O+ as the O+ sometimes makes my eyelids twitch after 6+ hours (monitors do the same thing to me). I think it's cause the screen on O+ is so bright. Never had that problem with my Index. 
    edited July 24
    pyroth309 said:

I used my Index for several hours at a time and had no eye strain. It was less strain than my O+ as the O+ sometimes makes my eyelids twitch after 6+ hours (monitors do the same thing to me). I think it's cause the screen on O+ is so bright. Never had that problem with my Index. 
    That would correspond well with the reduced brightness on the Index compared to oled (Vive Pro) - although such measurements probably are taken with similar distance to the lenses. Moving the Index lenses very close to the eyes may increase light exposure, for example I have a lux meter, close to an electric light bulb I can get readings in the 4k range, but down to 20 or 30 lux just 5 to 8 feet away. Still I doubt that the Index could be causing more eye strain that other HMDs.   

RuneSR2 said:
    pyroth309 said:

That would correspond well with the reduced brightness on the Index compared to oled (Vive Pro) - although such measurements probably are taken with similar distance to the lenses. Moving the Index lenses very close to the eyes may increase light exposure, for example I have a lux meter, close to an electric light bulb I can get readings in the 4k range, but down to 20 or 30 lux just 5 to 8 feet away. Still I doubt that the Index could be causing more eye strain that other HMDs.   
    Yea I was just throwing out my experience with it. There's always the possibility that one of Evileyes lenses has a flaw and it's messing with his eye. Hopefully nothing serious!
  • MowTinMowTin Posts: 1,606
    Project 2501
    Is anyone else getting noise / static on the Index? I'm getting the same colorful snow that I got on the Rift-S but worse. 
    i7 6700k 2080ti   Rift-S, Index
    How's it going today @Evileyes any better?