The Index thread (please keep to subject) - Page 24 — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

The Index thread (please keep to subject)

Comments

• MowTinMowTin Posts: 1,606
    Project 2501
    How's it going today @Evileyes any better?

I hope it's not something like this...

Smartphone gaming addict goes blind after playing for 24 hours straight

But the woman in this case said her vision first began dimming. And it's from China so I don't know how solid the facts are here. 
    i7 6700k 2080ti   Rift-S, Index
  • LuciferousLuciferous Posts: 2,071 Valuable Player
    edited July 24

RuneSR2 said:
    But they do look cute together  :) 

• Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,692 Valuable Player
    edited July 24
    More like,

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
    Surely C3PO is the noisy git in that scenario
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 3,051 Valuable Player
    edited July 24
    Just woke up the Index for the first time, an amazing moment:

Remember, I don't use the latest Windows updates, I'm on something like 17xx and Forceware 417 - I don't obey the "update everything rule" - unless I'm forced to do so (or can gain extra performance, but I've seen no such evidence - comparing GTX 1080 performance from 2016 with 2018 using latest Forceware drivers at both timepoints nothing had changed (at least not in 3D Mark), and I don't take chances when I have a perfectly stable rig and no problems - also thinking about the CV1). 
    Seems like the Type C connector didn't work (too loose), had to unplug CV1  :'( and give the Index the best seat in the rig (but still have 3 CV1 sensors attached). Then started Win10, then SteamVR - and everything was correctly detected - 2 base stations, Knuckles and the HMD. 
    I've only tried Steam Home - without my glasses - with the protective film on the lenses - still it really looked awesome. SDE hard too see, although it's there - didn't notice any glare - but Steam Home is bright. Knuckles felt like Touch, didn't really think it felt different - but could suddenly move all fingers, nice. Didn't hear base stations in Steam Home. Unfortunately the wife thinks I got better things to do now - I'll be back  B)
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • OculusHomieOculusHomie Posts: 29
    Brain Burst
    I’ve never had any problems with the Index lenses. Pimax though made me cross eyed when I took it off. Index looks and feels great. 

Not had had any problems with static either.

I don’t hear any noise from the light houses. 
    I feel the temperature rising in house Rune...

RuneSR2 said:
    Just woke it up, an amazing moment:
    But the wife thinks I got better thing to do now - I'll be back  

I feel the temperature rising in house Rune...

RuneSR2 said:
    Just woke it up, an amazing moment:
    But the wife thinks I got better thing to do now - I'll be back  
    Unfortunately, I'm the one cooking her birthday dinner - but it is a hot summer day ;)
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

Please Don’t tell me it’s the kids birthday tomorrow 😀
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,351 Volunteer Moderator
    Yup it's a tad hot today near Heathrow, defo not a VR day but I did just chuck another 16gb gskill ddr4 3000hz to make 32gb in my rig 

A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

great news @Evileyes

Also love the Skyrim comments, I’ll probably wait for joystick fix confirmation then probably reapply.

A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

Ahemn, tomorrow it's our Wedding day, not kidding unfortunately... But I hope to get a few hours in VR later today, it's nearly always 20-21C (68-70F) in the basement (my man cave), works like free AC ;) Outside it's 28C (82-83F) right now. 

I don’t hear any noise from the light houses. 
    Can you hear one base station if you're a few centimeters away from it? (Green light on) If yes, in a completely silent room, at what distance is it completely impossible to hear the base station? 

Personally I'm working on brainwashing myself to enjoy the sound of mosquitoes, or maybe more being in a small fan-less server-room... It's not quiet in the jungle either, still people survive and live long and happy lives. Soon I'll love the sound of base stations  ;)

Techy111 said:

I'm getting old, don't think I know anyone on that list  :( Maybe if I saw some faces... "Snapchat Star", is that a real thing these days?  :D

Your parcel from Ingram Micro Netherlands DC will be delivered by Parcelforce on Thursday 25 July 2019, if this is not convenient, please click on an alternative option below:

• Please deliver to a neighbour
    • Please deliver to a local Post Office for me to collect
    • Please deliver on the next working day
    • Please deliver on the day after the next working day

The tracking reference number of your parcel is

:o 

edited July 24
    Your parcel from Ingram Micro Netherlands DC will be delivered by Parcelforce on Thursday 25 July 2019, if this is not convenient, please click on an alternative option below:

• Please deliver to a neighbour
    • Please deliver to a local Post Office for me to collect
    • Please deliver on the next working day
    • Please deliver on the day after the next working day

The tracking reference number of your parcel is

:o 
    Should be enough time for you to get ready for the big premiere July 26  B)  - If you can get the neighbor to give up your package ;)

Specs seem quite high though - but you probably don't have to worry ;)

RECOMMENDED:
      • Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
      • Processor: Intel Core i7-6700K or AMD Ryzen 5 1600X
      • Memory: 16 GB RAM
      • Graphics: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 / AMD RX Vega 64
      • Storage: 30 GB available space
    This sounds awesome, lol: "This is a VR shooter than contains Blood and Gore, Intense Violence, Strong Language, and Use of Drugs.

Rift is not supported, at least not officially: 

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1056970/Wolfenstein_Cyberpilot_International_Version/

RuneSR2 said:
    Techy111 said:

I'm getting old, don't think I know anyone on that list  :( Maybe if I saw some faces... "Snapchat Star", is that a real thing these days?  :D
    You must know Matt Leblanc it’s the only one I know. ‘I’ll be there for you’
  • MowTinMowTin Posts: 1,606
    Project 2501
    edited July 24
    Today I think I fixed my color static issue with the index by choosing a different port. My audio issues have improved by I'm still hearing the occasional pop. 

The controller is still there but it's not a major problem in most games.

My big problem now is these weird SDE vertical lines I see whenever I move. If I'm in that Steam VR area where the floor is a set of concentric lines and straight lines...I look at my controller. Whenever I move my controller I see the lines. When I stop the lines fade. 

I found other users with the same problem on reddit. 
    i7 6700k 2080ti   Rift-S, Index
    RuneSR2 said:
    Techy111 said:

You must know Matt Leblanc it’s the only one I know. ‘I’ll be there for you’
    You're right - it's Joey from Friends - actually never knew his real name :blush:

Any noticeable graphic improvement in flight sims if you have any to hand mate ?

• pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 1,568 Valuable Player
    Nice impressions Rune. I pretty much agree with all of that though I did notice the larger FoV of the Index especially when going back and forth. 

With the knuckles controller, it took me a few days of messing with my hand positioning to find a spot where it worked perfectly for me. I have larger hands though but may be worth trying. I also agree that the knuckles are a lot lighter than they look and generally feel pretty good. There is some slight ergonomic issues I had as a guy with large hands and I still feel like Touch feel better in my hands but Knuckles are good enough.

Also, some games you can get knuckles to work by just remapping the buttons. Several don't work by default yet which is a shame but there was only a couple of games I couldn't get working. In SteamVR menu you need to go to settings -> Controller Binding. A lot of games have profiles that people have uploaded for everyone that you can just load or you can build a profile from scratch. 

Glad to see that your Base Stations are working out. I really loved mine and already miss them. 

Nice first impressions Runes 👍🏻 Appreciate the effort
    Thanks Rune, this is what I was hoping for these last few days. Anyhow, the biggest revelation will be "cheerio CV1. Back in the box you go old friend".

• RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,559 Valuable Player
    edited July 25
    Seems like a step up from CV1 visually which is to be expected, but I'll pass on the Valve index until it comes down in price. I just don't think there's enough of an upgrade from the CV1 for me to slap £920 on my credit card. I'm just waiting to see what the HTC Cosmos has to offer now and at what price. 
    I was just thinking about the importance of first impressions - because it took me awhile to see the CV1 shortcomings, like the SDE (are there any more shortcomings? ;-) For months I was just blown away by the CV1 and Lone Echo. But I have much more experience now than two years ago and know what to look for. Going from one system to the other first impression are very important, because the most profound changes are most easily detected before you start to habituate to the new system. 
    Regarding FOV, as mentioned I use glasses - made to perfectly fit the CV1, and they perfectly fit the Index too. So I had no problems using my glasses in the Index. My glasses cover the CV1 lenses nearly 1:1, and much the same goes for the Index when the lenses are all dialed out. When dialing in any increased fov would go beyond my glasses and be of little value. Using prescription Index inserts may remove this problem, but I like my glasses - and dialing out the Index lenses will give higher res at a slight cost of fov - while dialing in will decrease res but increase fov. That said I didn't notice decreased res when dialing in the lenses, because the res is high, but maybe dialing in the lenses could increase glare. Doom VFR was the first game I tried on the Index (all dialed out), I didn't notice any glare in that game, but I need to check it more thoroughly. Still the glare wasn't an issue to me - but I'm coming from the CV1 ;-)

BTW, I still think the CV1 is amazing - Index does feel like a different system, and I really hope that I can get CV1 and Index to work connected to the same rig. 
    Right now I have all 3 CV1 sensors connected, but they are no longer detected in SteamVR. I have all the usual Oculus software running (and OTT), but it didn't seem to have any impact on the Index performance. 

Performance using GTX 1080
    Vertigo 2 was solid 90 fps using the Index and all in-game graphics settings maxed out (Steam ss = 100%). I know some Index users liked the demo a lot, and it does support Knuckles perfectly - but the in-game graphics aren't impressive, several low-poly models are used - I wasn't very impressed - although it was a nice demo. 
    Arizona Sunshine was mostly solid 90 fps, all settings maxed, but resolution set to 1.0 (this is in-game ss - I went to 1.5, but it was hard to see any difference, but my performance was getting quite bad).
    V-Racer Hoverbike - got 45 fps like using the CV1 using the same settings - but that did include high levels of ss. I reduced shadows and got 90 fps. Looked awesome. Actually I completely forgot I've increased ss a lot for that game due to the CV1 - will try to reduce ss later and increase shadows, lol. 
    Doom VFR - typically 90 fps - felt much more smooth than CV1 ever did, but this game isn't really built for the CV1.

In short, I didn't experience performance problems, many games performed better or at least similar to CV1, but I'm used to drive the CV1 quite hard using ss 2.0. Lack of ASW 2.0 may be a problem, but I haven't noticed it yet. 

For my initial Index impressions I activated SteamVR beta - and didn't update any drivers including Win10. I haven't updated Win10 for more than a year, there're few things in this world I dislike more than the forced Win10 updates, "if it works don't fix it" ;-) BTW, my GTX 1080 rig is only for VR - I don't even have office installed - that rig is cut down to the mere basics for providing best possible performance in VR games. Basically the only things I've got installed on the rig is Oculus software, Steam(VR) and games - and of course the usual Win10 apps. 

edited July 25
    Techy111 said:
    Any noticeable graphic improvement in flight sims if you have any to hand mate ?
    No, I didn't try real sims like flight simulators, but in V-Racer Hoverbike (the devs actually do call it a sim ;-) you could suddenly read all the dials and instruments, this would be impossible using the CV1 no matter the ss applied. 
    Maybe Reverb is (much) better, but Index really looks amazing. I think the Index is about finding a balance between image quality and performance. The most important part may of course be the tracking and Knuckles, and in sims tracking may be of little importance to you - and maybe Reverb may be the better choice for you. 

• OculusHomieOculusHomie Posts: 29
    Brain Burst
    @MowTin

I don’t see any SDE lines on my HMD. What global resolution you using? I’m set at around 2700 or around 148% on the SteamVR slider.

I have seen a difference in performance when using the external cameras using different USB sockets. But luckily my motherboard has USB 3.1 so I make sure I use that. 

I’m pretty confident using my Index, everything just works.