The Index thread (please keep to subject) - Page 35 — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

The Index thread (please keep to subject)

Comments

• RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 3,088 Valuable Player
    The fun stuff in the previous post, lol - in case someone missed it  ;)

"Chaperone restricts room center to be within 1km of your tracking system origin. 1km ought to be enough for anybody. (This prevents chaperone adjustment tools from accidentally moving the center of your room outside the solar system, causing floating point math issues that manifest as things like “flickering in HMD”)."
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • kojackkojack Posts: 5,456 Volunteer Moderator
    RuneSR2 said:
    Maybe Valve is preparing for something big
    Selling hardware to any country in the southern hemisphere?
    No, probably something realistic.

kojack said:
    RuneSR2 said:
    Maybe Valve is preparing for something big
    Selling hardware to any country in the southern hemisphere?
    No, probably something realistic.

I wonder if they will expand when production capacity has been sufficiently increased in the northern hemisphere. But otherwise Ebay may help, unless prices remain way too high... 
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

• TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 1,262
    Wintermute
    I hope they never ship to Australia, too tempting, lol!

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti (from my old AGA), 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors.

Another nice Index review, this time also including sims (DCS):

edited September 11
    Gun Club VR now fully supports the Index:

Patch 1.0.21
    Index Support and More Weapons!
    Patch 1.0.21 is here with 5 new weapons, a couple of new attachments and some new; much requested options - including support for the Valve Index!

New Weapons:

• EF88 Assault Rifle
    • SKO Semi-Auto Shotgun
    • MP40 Submachine gun

And as voted by our Discord Community:
    • STG44 Assault Rifle
    • Uzi Submachine gun

New Attachments:

• Tactical Pistol Stock
    • Vertical Foregrip

New Features:

• Steam Input and Index Support
    • Rotational Bolt-locking added to relevant weapon i.e MP5, EF88 etc
    • Seated Mode and height adjustment Added
    • G17 & G18 lower rail now supports attachments (No mounted rail required)
    • (Sandbox) Can now rotate props as they’re being placed
    • (Sandbox) Added more props

New Options:

Added Stock Emulation Option for Two-Handed Tracking
    • On - Gun moves like stock is pressed against the shoulder
    • Hybrid - Same as “On” but only engages when the gun is lifted up the the shoulder which allows for hipfiring
    • Off - Gun follows the two hands directly

Added Grip Offset Option to disable controller offset (this lowers held items to where the real hand is located but can mean controller can clash when operating)
    • Off - Held items is where hand is location
    • Low - Held items are slightly above hand location
    • High - Held items are above the hand location

Added Setting to reduce the size of enemy health indicators
    • Off
    • Small
    • Large ( original size )

Added Toggle Grips Require Release option that restricts a toggled grip to only release when the action "Release Toggle Grip" is pulled. Useful for if you've rebound the Grip and Fire actions to the same button through Steam Inputs.

Bug Fixes:

• Gun on the floor directly below can now be Far-Grabbed
    • Fire Particles should now follow targets when hit
    • Bayonets now effect targets in range again
    • Haptic Feedback intensified on Rift
    • Unintended UI Interaction will be blocked when operating weapon
    • Restarting Range will respawn destructibles
    • Fixed unhittable targets in Allied Window
    • Many more little fixes

We’re getting dug in to the next patch now which will see the winner of our previous Discord community weapon poll - the Kriss Vector - added, as well as another handful of guns, attachments and features.

As always, if you have any suggestions or bug reports or just want to chat you can get in touch with us through our Steam Forums, our Support Services or on our Discord Server!

https://steamcommunity.com/games/691320/announcements/detail/1610522339624552851

The irony of that is that I own the Oculus version and haven't played it  :s Maybe I should contact the devs and ask for Knuckles support in the Oculus version  B) :D

Wintermute
    Maybe it’s just my old eyes but I cannot see any differences between the Rift S 80hz and cv1 90hz.

On my 1080p 144hz gaming monitor I can easily see an improvement going from 60 to 100hz, but then none going to 120 or 144hz.  Also, my monitor’s colors seem best at 100hz.  Not sure why?

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti (from my old AGA), 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors.

TomCgcmfc said:
    Maybe it’s just my old eyes but I cannot see any differences between the Rift S 80hz and cv1 90hz.

On my 1080p 144hz gaming monitor I can easily see an improvement going from 60 to 100hz, but then none going to 120 or 144hz.  Also, my monitor’s colors seem best at 100hz.  Not sure why?
    Maybe there's too much blur (latency) at 144 Hz on the monitor impacting the colors, but if you can see diff between 60 and 100 Hz, then you'll probably see a clear diff going from 90 to 120 using the Index. Index has very low latency lcds to support 144 Hz. Personally I found 144 Hz even more smooth than 120 Hz, but the last 24 fps/Hz are a luxury I can't allow myself in most games. 

edited September 12
    I consider myself a shy guy when sober - not sure I could do this  :# It could easily be hard and quite awkward to explain myself to ordinary people passing by :blush:

• oldgamergazzaoldgamergazza Posts: 65
    Hiro Protagonist
    TomCgcmfc said:

I run all my sims at 80, I just can’t get any performance otherwise:( decent spec pc but struggles with the Index.
  • TragicDelightTragicDelight Posts: 51
    Hiro Protagonist
    *Bumps* Oh, sorry sir...I didn't see you standing there. Please forgive my transgression.
    edited September 13
    Free keys - 360 (beta) keys left for:

Get one here: https://discord.gg/8nyrTZv

Index, Rift and Vive are supported. 

edited September 14
    It's starting to look good - I haven't bought it just, I'm not that fond of paying for early access - he moves pinky in the video = he's using the Index ;)

RuneSR2 said:
    Free keys - 360 (beta) keys left for:

Get one here: https://discord.gg/8nyrTZv

Index, Rift and Vive are supported. 
    More info about Into the Radius in this nice article:

https://www.vrfocus.com/2019/09/enter-dark-and-twisted-vr-experience-into-the-radius-with-some-free-beta-keys/amp/

Wintermute
    Well bugger, I cannot wait for the Index to come to Australia so I've pre-ordered a Cosmos, lol!  Hopefully it will be a reasonably good upgrade to my current Rift cv1 w/2x sensors.  Time will tell I guess.

• kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 4,619 Valuable Player
    Thought you folks would be interested in seeing the first deployment of the Index into the entertainment sector:

P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
    edited September 15
    In short - the Valve employee having been working on their VR flagship game wasn't allowed to say anything about it yesterday. I guess that was to be expected - of course Valve wouldn't introduce the first info about their flagship title by allowing some dude to talk about it at a small seminar. 

VNN seems slightly annoyed  :D  

edited September 15
    RuneSR2 said:
    Tried the beta last night, it was bad - like really bad - tons of work needed to make this game shine. I'm not going to spend my limited spare time helping the devs at this time point, I've uninstalled the beta. Unless you're extremely dedicated to helping the devs, I'd pass on the free beta key - remember: "there ain't no such thing as free lunch"  :D

• kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 4,619 Valuable Player
    RuneSR2 said:
    In short - the Valve employee having been working on their VR flagship game wasn't allowed to say anything about it yesterday. I guess that was to be expected - of course Valve wouldn't introduce the first info about their flagship title by allowing some dude to talk about it at a small seminar. 

VNN seems slightly annoyed  :D  

I really can't see why anyone can get annoyed or fain to be surprised by this - this is Valve! This is what Valve does!

Love them or hate them for it - they are incredibly tight mouthed - and when some fool promotes that "a dev may spill the beans" on one of their most secret projects, obviously "management" are going to close the door on that.

It's also important to remember that Valve is treating this platform still as a pet project which is receiving support but not 100% commitment, be prepared for some weird course correction and even some more departures from the core team - remember... this is Valve!

P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
    edited September 15
    Just tested the Knuckes for you all - alright, it wasn't voluntarily, I was about to stab some hellish ghoul in Hellsplit and smashed my left Knuckles - full force or close - into a wall  :# I may have panicked slightly, closed the game immediately, but the controller is fine. Did get some white paint on it, but was able to wipe it off, so Knuckles still look like new - also found some paint on the right controller, maybe that was Until You Fall yesterday? ... Well, nevermind - got that one clean too  o:)  

Of course danger still lurks, especially when the wife sees the wall  :#

Does seem like Knuckles can take a beating just as well as good old Touch, lol. 

• Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,371 Volunteer Moderator
    But the jury is still out whether Mr Rune can take a beating from Mrs Rune, stay tuned folks ;)
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

edited September 16
    Maybe quite interesting... The Doors...

Image result for the doors

Sorry, wrong stuff - this one :blush:

But you don't interact and open creaking/normal doors in Portal - instead you make portals! I guess the first flagship game isn't Portal VR then, but a game where you walk around and can open ... doors ;) And it seems there're NPCs who can interact with doors too! Doesn't sound like dumb zombies to me...

BTW full version here, I'm not going to watch it, it's nearly 1 hour long:

RuneSR2 said:
    RuneSR2 said:
    Hmm, maybe I spent too much time in The Lab yesterday, today it's Saturday, maybe I should get out more, maybe do some whitewater kayaking...  o:)

Did just find time to go kayaking, actually a nice experience. Sound was extremely loud using the Index, had to reduce the volume, but great quality, sounded like real water. Textures are nice, had to use 4xMSAA, 8xMSAA was too much for my rig, but couldn't see much difference. Will need a more powerful gpu to go beyond ss 100%, but ss 100 % looks great in this game. Could try to completely disable msaa and try to increase ss, haven't done that yet... Also the game may provide a nice work-out, it looks much better in the hmd compared to the 2D trailer: 

More Kayaking - highly recommended, works on Rift too:

• SpuzzumSpuzzum Posts: 482
    Trinity
    RuneSR2 said:
    BTW full version here, I'm not going to watch it, it's nearly 1 hour long:

I usually set long videos to run at 2x speed. :P
  • LuciferousLuciferous Posts: 2,078 Valuable Player
    edited September 17
    You lost me at controllers :) but wait cant you use the Index Controllers with the HP?

edited September 17
    You lost me at controllers :) but wait cant you use the Index Controllers with the HP?

Shadowmask72 may indeed be the first to answer that extremely interesting question!  B)

Reverb is just $500 now in the US HP Store, so that's 1.1K with Knuckles and 2 base stations, but I'm done scuba diving and Index sound is growing on me.

At $500 Reverb could be a real threat to both Rift-S and Cosmos.

Feels like the real beginning of VR, the previous 3 years were just a warm-up, lol.