New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

The Index thread (please keep to subject)

Comments

• Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,428 Volunteer Moderator
    I see 649 us dollars on the US store, where does it say 500 ? And steam VR will let you mix and mate headsets and controllers very easily now, provided you have base stations.
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

• RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 3,470 Valuable Player
    edited September 17
    Pro version is 649, standard version is just 499:

https://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/hp-reverb-virtual-reality-headset
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
    Ahhh interesting I didn't realise the consumer version was out... wonder if the UK will be selling that version??

edited September 17
    Techy111 said:
    Ahhh interesting I didn't realise the consumer version was out... wonder if the UK will be selling that version??
    Why not - I'd be surprised if they don't. Seems like HP is aggressive with the $500 price and getting ready to conquer the world ;)

BTW, I just played Battlewake and Westworld, both games sometimes dip below 90 fps on my rig and the Index ss 100%. I'm still thinking you'll need at least 2080 Ti to drive the Reverb in 90 fps.
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

I got an MSI tri fan 2080ti ;)

• TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 1,376
    Project 2501
    Sorry but why does Reverb seem to keep popping up in this Index thread lately?  Maybe because there is so little luv in the Reverb thread?  Just asking.

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti (from my old AGA), 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors. Vive Cosmos, currently work in progress.

• Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,744 Valuable Player
    edited September 18
    I own an Index and now a Reverb so I am making a quickie comparison here. Considering my post pertains to the Index, it's relevant to this thread. I have not used the knuckles with the Reverb but apparently there is a way to make that happen. 

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
  • Comrade_IvanComrade_Ivan Posts: 41
    Brain Burst
    I own an Index and now a Reverb so I am making a quickie comparison here. Considering my post pertains to the Index, it's relevant to this thread. I have not used the knuckles with the Reverb but apparently there is a way to make that happen. 
    Do you mind trying it out and leaving a comment on usability pls?
    Not much happening today - but a new SteamVR Beta release:

SteamVR Beta Updated - 1.8.2
    The SteamVR beta has been updated with the following changes.

If you encounter issues with this update, please post in the SteamVR Bug Report forum. If possible, please include a system report to aid in tracking down your issue. Replies to this post are not tracked for bug reporting purposes. Please use the forum linked above to report issues.

SteamVR:
    • When apps stop providing frames, fade to grid logic now continues reprojecting the last game frame as long as the user does not move their head too far from the position of that frame.
    • Added per-app setting for disabling async reprojection. This is the same functionality that was previously toggled via Shift+A in the old mirror window or via the async_mode_toggle debug command.
    • Fixed position of the callout end of the lines in binding callouts.
    • Improve responsiveness of sound and notification accompanying a screenshot (reminder: default binding is chording system + trigger). The actual screenshot has always been (and remains) almost instant at the moment of hitting the button, but now the feedback is snappier.
    • Fix the screenshot notification icon.
    • Fixed CEF rendering issue in mixed gpu environments.
    • Added idle image to docked VR View when headset is in standby or otherwise not tracking.
    • Fix Base Station 2.0 update recovery UI not initially appearing in the Beta when the user starts with Base Station Settings window open unless they changed to a different Settings window and back to refresh it.

Compositor:

Chaperone:
    • In IVRChaperoneSetup, fix ShowWorkingSetPreview() blocking CommitWorkingCopy(). Now calling CommitWorkingCopy() will commit and exit the “preview” state.
    • When a process that calls ShowWorkingSetPreview() exits before hiding or committing, automatically apply HideWorkingSetPreview().
    • The working chaperone set limitation on distance from origin is extended to 40km to allow for redirected walking applications. Note that at 40km, limitations of single precision floating point mean that the smallest distance increment that can be expressed is about 5mm. Users may see unexpected behavior from apps. The limitation of 1km on saving and loading is unchanged. Applications implementing redirected walking should use ShowWorkingSetPreview() for the duration of the redirected walking session. There are several system events that should be observed in that case. For extended discussion, see this thread: https://steamcommunity.com/app/250820/discussions/3/1633040337767100476/

SteamVR Input:
    • Fixed the “changed” bit as reported to applications that call GetDigitalActionData or GetAnalogActionData more than once per frame for a given action.
    • Fixed priority on active action sets. This wasn’t properly suppressing haptics, and it wasn’t properly suppressing input when the lower priority action set used a complex button.
    • Added support for returning gamepad and treadmill bindings with the HMD.

Dashboard:
    • Stopped showing the laser pointer when the pointing device is the HMD. The laser intersection blob will still be shown.
    • Click on anything other than a panel will now dismiss the dashboard.
    • Changed the default bindings for HMDs with buttons (Vive, Vive Pro, and Index) to allow navigation of the dashboard using only the HMD button. The new bindings are: 
      • Single click – Show dashboard
      • Single click – Laser mouse click
      • HMD pose – Laser pointer

Linux:
    • Fixed async reprojection hitches and stutters. Thanks everyone that submitted gpuvis traces to our bug tracker.
    • Improved performance on low end systems.
    • Fix inverted input in vrwebhelper.
    • Fix vrwebhelper launching multiple instances of vrwebhelper.
    • Fix various vrwebhelper crashes.
    • Enable vrwebhelper by default. Set STEAMVR_WEBHELPER=0 to force disable if you encounter any issues.
    • Fix IPCMutexUnlockRobust crashes.
    • Added a workaround for drivers reporting impossible frame timings. Radv users are encouraged to update their driver as outlined here: https://github.com/ValveSoftware/SteamVR-for-Linux/issues/226

Oculus
    • Controller tracking valid state is now passed through to applications. This will cause untracked controllers to eventually change their state and disappear rather than freezing in place permanently.

edited September 18
    District Steel is still alive, but release date is unknown, latest news from the devs:
    Hey guys, thanks for sticking around and excuse me for my late reply. District Steel is still in development, but because it is our first game project, we keep running into many technical difficulties. Bit by bit things are coming together, but I don't want to release something that is buggy and gives people a bad experience, as the initial impression of a game is very important. As for the release date, I'm afraid I can't give an indication at this time, until things smooth out. I hope this gives some insight, if you have any questions feel free to ask.
    From Dec 2018 - gameplay (game's still listed as only supporting Index & Vive):

• TragicDelightTragicDelight Posts: 61
    Hiro Protagonist
    RuneSR2 said:

Feels like the real beginning of VR, the previous 3 years were just a warm-up, lol.
    The 3 past years were Iron Man mark 1 and 2. Basically VR jr starting to mature and grow. Soon The headsets will say around Pimax visuals with Index sound and comfort and they will be improving peripherals like the HaptX gloves and Woojer Vest. Maybe even Vibrating sneakers for VR that have Haptic feedback when walking in game or jumping, explosions shaking the ground, etc.etc..
  • MorgrumMorgrum Posts: 1,646 Valuable Player
    edited September 18
    Rune District Steel looks neat but that game play seems alittle clunky.

Tragic delight I already use  Kor Fx haptic vest. ( I highly recomend )
    Even in flight sims on my 3dof rig with buttkickers on all 4 quadrants having your chest rumble when you really push the engines is amazing.
    Pretty neat for shooters also.
    WAAAGH!
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,669 Valuable Player
    edited September 18
    When you enter into the large space station in Elite Dangerous with the HP Reverb, you just know that is the resolution that VR needs to be at. Before it was just jaggies and a blur to me, but that's when I had a jaw drop moment. Before I couldn't wait to get out of that station because of jaggies and blur, but here I was just looking around it and taking it all in.
    I felt the same with DCS World. Seeing the runway on approach really clear instead of just a blur in the distance is what I was waiting for in VR. Then I tried Fallout 4 and I could go on and on :)
    Would be good to hear if Shadowmask can get the base stations working with knuckles. I don't think I could settle for Vive wands without the thumb sticks. I just wish someone would make something that tracked controllers regardless of the VR headset you use.
    edited September 18
    RuneSR2 said:
    The Vanishing Realms expansion The Sundered Rift has now arrived - it's $12 and requires the original game - so about $30 if you need to purchase both:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1082250/Vanishing_Realms_The_Sundered_Rift/

Vanishing Realms is now 30% off:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/322770/Vanishing_Realms/

Unfortunately the important add-on The Sundered Rift is still full price, and you need both to get access to The Sundered Rift. Although I spend about 10-15 hours in VR every week, I'm way behind playing The Sundered Rift, but this game requires a lot of time to play. Often it's easier just to get my fix in Hellsplit or Until You Fall, lol. But The Sundered Rift is close to my favorite game using Index.

Here's The Sundered Rift using the Index:

edited September 23
    Time for more whipping!  <3 

Dude in the video is also using Rift-S, but I think he's mostly using the Index ;)

Release date Nov 7, maybe the devs are feeling the Valve flagship heat, sweat and anxiety knowing that when very big things launch, smaller games may receive little attention. And things may heat up quite a lot the next 3 months... Getting PSVR and Quest ports ready probably is a smart move to maximize sales...

edited September 23
    Seems like Shadowmask72 likes the finger tracking ;) And the game is starting to look beyond amazing:

- and here's the official trailer in case some haven't noticed the game. (The game's fully funded on Kickstarter, but until October 2nd you can still support the devs.)

• LuciferousLuciferous Posts: 2,112 Valuable Player
    Like the style but I fear, like Technolust its going to be an empty shell of a world. I see you can only land in specific points.
    Like the style but I fear, like Technolust its going to be an empty shell of a world. I see you can only land in specific points.
    The safe road is of course to wait for reviews - the game will probably need another year to be ready (expected launch autumn 2020). I'm not yet a backer, but still have some days to become one...  

• jabjab Posts: 203
    Nexus 6
    edited September 24
    Or you can sponsor such games on principle, and not worry so much about always getting "the greatest game in the world" in return. I mean it's not like the big developer houses are all lining up to make VR games for us.
    edited September 24
    I backed the original Technolust. ill buy it but I just  got burned in Kickstarter and they couldn’t give a damn. Never backing anything else through them again.
    edited September 28
    Gossip o' the week  o:)

edited September 30
    Some dude upgraded from GTX 1080 to RTX 2080 Super - and wasn't exactly happy for the VR performance results: "It seems VR is less about FPS boosts and more binary will it run at a given hz. So hopefully this is somewhat helpful you all out there."

System:
    Processor: i7-7700k (4.6 ghz)
    Memory: 16GB
    Video cards: Evga GTX 1080 FTW and Evga RTX 2080 Super Ultra
    HD: Everything on SSD
    HMD: Index running all games at 100% res (2016 x 2240 per eye)

Let's take a look at performance:

No Man's Sky
    Image result for no mans sky
    Fps: 45

On a 2080 Super (Ultra) at 90 hz
    Frame time: 11.2 ms
    Reprojection: 50%
    Fps: 45

In 90 Hz no observable differences - both got 45 fps. 120 Hz was better though, as the 2080 was better at reaching 60 fps:

On a 1080 at 120 hz
    Frame time: 14.9 ms
    Reprojection: ~70%
    Fps: 42

On a 2080 at 120 hz
    Frame time: 12.8
    Fps: 60

Here the 2080 Super did mange to get 43% more performance - but still not great, 43% more is kinda low in my book (in pancake games with vsync deactivated 2080 Super is about 60% faster than GTX 1080 in 4K and 43% faster in 2K - more here: https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/comment/698177#Comment_698177 - kinda makes you wonder if 2K pancake results translate better to VR performance than 4K results... At least for HMDs using resolutions below 4K including Index). 

Until You Fall
    Image result for until you fall vr
    Fps: 90

Perfect results - and it can't get better using 2080 Super (but of course you may be able to increase ss more, remember these results are all Index ss 100%):

On a 2080 at 90 hz
    Frame time: 7.8 ms
    Reprojection: 0%
    Fps: 90

Now, maybe there's more benefit from the 2080 Super in 120 hz in Until You Fall?

On a 1080 at 120 hz
    Frame time: 7.9 ms

Here the 1080 can only achieve 60 fps - unfortunately so can the 2080 Super, because that card isn't 100% faster than 1080 and therefore can't reach the magic 120 fps either:

On a 2080 at 120 hz
    Frame time: 7.9 ms

In Surv1v3 similar trends were observed - quote "I also tested Surv1v3 and found little change oddly." (specific results were not provided). 

The take home message may again be that you'll need a video card which is minimum 100% faster than your current video card to see major improvements in VR  games (to be sure that 45 fps turn into 90, and/or 60 fps turn into 120). That said of course you may find benefits upgrading to a video card which is less than 100% faster by being able to increase ss more and maybe get better fps in some games, like when using 120 Hz. 

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/ValveIndex/comments/dbihma/gtx_1080_vs_rtx_2080_super_comparison_gains_for_vr/

This was just posted on Index Reddit - should be some sort of successor to "Black and White" - looks interesting:

edited October 1
    Black and White, a name from the distant past, look at this demo from Teddy0k back in 2013 in the DK1 days. A man ahead of his time. Actually i think his looks better :)

https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/comment/52288#Comment_52288
    Just saw this post - quite sure I'd be in the same boat if I got the Quest even for Rift-games:

Anyone else here have a Quest, but the Index FOV, Sound and most of all High framerate (I'm very fps sensitive), spoiled it for you? Its literally been months now and I see no reason to keep my Quest or Rift S.

The Quest hand-tracking may have been something i would have held onto the Quest for, but the reality is that the Index Finger Tracking controller method will always be miles better than any other free-hand or glove tracking option when it comes down to games. The feedback, grip and button/analog movement you get from a controller is a necessity for a quality gaming experience. Hand-Tracking is best for casual use, demos, practical UI navigation and professional training for enterprise. So many caught up in the hype, but I'm like come release no one will practically use that for gaming, it will be novelty around gamers, but impactful for enterprise. Maybe I'm missing something here. As pricy as the Index was, taking a step back I realise how fortunate I am to have the cream of the crop, no idea what I was thinking that there would be greener pastures on the other-side for my use case. All we need now is the software to show it off. Software, software, software. The lack of it, is the only reason my eyes ever linger elsewhere.

Even though I do like some games on the CV1, I really don't play those games anymore and always end up using the Index, it's just miles ahead of the CV1. Also had some fun perfecting column corrections on the Index last night - it's really perfect now, no SDE, great fov, perfect tracking - hard to see where I'd find time to use another hmd, unless Asgard's Wrath or Stormland really need it - already don't have enough time to watch my Netflix shows, sigh. 

edited October 1
    very nice :) 
    Maybe they can live in harmony and support each other, lol:

According to Steam this list shows today's most sold items worldwide. I wonder if anyone can find an Index Kit or Knuckles there... That is, on page 1... ;)

• TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 1,376
    Project 2501
    RuneSR2 said:
    Maybe they can live in harmony and support each other, lol:

World most expensive Quest charger, lol!

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti (from my old AGA), 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors. Vive Cosmos, currently work in progress.