The Index thread (please keep to subject) - Page 4 — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

The Index thread (please keep to subject)

Comments

• WildtWildt Posts: 1,937 Valuable Player
    Talos is one of those games I've been holding out on until I got a higher res HMD. So if I win the Reverb lottery, and my the damn thing actually works, I'll finally get to play it :)
    Asus Z370-A ||  Watercooled 8700K || 16 GB gSkill DDR4 3200 || Samsung SSD 840PRO 256GB+850PRO 256GB+850EVO 500GB+970EVO 1TB || Watercooled FE Geforce 1080ti || Zalman Reserator XT watercooler || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3 || Asus ROG PG279Q  G-sync monitor
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,271 Volunteer Moderator
    When is yours due mate ? I'm so far swinging 70/30 in favour of keeping after exhaustive testing this weekend.
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

• WildtWildt Posts: 1,937 Valuable Player
    edited June 16
    Techy111 said:
    When is yours due mate ? I'm so far swinging 70/30 in favour of keeping after exhaustive testing this weekend.
    Monday (tomorrow).
    Asus Z370-A ||  Watercooled 8700K || 16 GB gSkill DDR4 3200 || Samsung SSD 840PRO 256GB+850PRO 256GB+850EVO 500GB+970EVO 1TB || Watercooled FE Geforce 1080ti || Zalman Reserator XT watercooler || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3 || Asus ROG PG279Q  G-sync monitor
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 2,894 Valuable Player
    pyroth309 said:
    Whoaa. I asked the question awhile back when I saw that it was listed as Index supported game if it was still alive... Guess I got my answer. It's still one of my favorite VR games. 

But quite strange why Vanishing Realms is under NDA... That does increase the odds that this game may have something to do with the Index launch - we'll see in 12 days. Because if Kelly Bailey was the sole responsible person for this game then NDA wouldn't make sense, right? Then again, other persons have been asked not to judge Index before June 28, maybe that's all there's to the Vanishing Realms NDA (if Bailey has implemented Index support)...

Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 1,568 Valuable Player
    RuneSR2 said:
    pyroth309 said:
    Whoaa. I asked the question awhile back when I saw that it was listed as Index supported game if it was still alive... Guess I got my answer. It's still one of my favorite VR games. 

But quite strange why Vanishing Realms is under NDA... That does increase the odds that this game may have something to do with the Index launch - we'll see in 12 days. Because if Kelly Bailey was the sole responsible person for this game then NDA wouldn't make sense, right? Then again, other persons have been asked not to judge Index before June 28, maybe that's all there's to the Vanishing Realms NDA (if Bailey has implemented Index support)...

Who knows, maybe Valve subsidized the update to get it finished finally. 
    edited June 16

pyroth309 said:
    RuneSR2 said:
    pyroth309 said:

Who knows, maybe Valve subsidized the update to get it finished finally. 
    That would be awesome, like - Gabe: "Sit tight, Kelly, we're sending a team of 25 guys, we'll have those walls textured and shining in no time - and round shapes for the coins and more" 

Ok, probably not exactly like that - I'll keep my fingers crossed though ;)  

BTW, Assetto Corsa was pretty horrible - first the game didn't start in VR, had to google that I needed to choose Oculus in the in-game options menu, and then my gamepad didn't work (spent quite some time on that, sigh), then I found out I needed to use the mouse to start a race, and first then I could use the gamepad, double sigh. Lesson learned, no more sims with lackluster VR support, I'm going for the hoverbike, it's downloading right now  o:)  

Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

Yea I wasn't impressed with Assetto Corsa either, it's a pain to get it going. I enjoy Dirt Rally and Project Cars 1 & 2 more. 
  • LuciferousLuciferous Posts: 2,064 Valuable Player
    Is it despatch day today @pyroth309 😀?
    edited June 18
    https://www.reddit.com/r/ValveIndex/comments/c1kmmm/disassembly_vr_ultra_realistic_hands_with_dynamic/

Another cool demonstration of knuckles in action. Actually probably the best I have seen.
  • kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 4,573 Valuable Player
    Today and tomorrow the Index embargo on certain pieces of information drops so expect to see some really cool videos. 
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
    Is it despatch day today @pyroth309 😀?
    Not for me. My email is silent! 
    I guess if some of the NDA agreements are still on as Kevin says, they wont deliver it until after then?
    edited June 18
    I guess if some of the NDA agreements are still on as Kevin says, they wont deliver it until after then?

Those NDA-like agreements are valid until June 28 I believe. Valve only wrote that the first Index batch will be available no later than June 28, and of course they can suffer delays...

Yea the only guarantee they gave was shipping by 28th. My expectation had been the first week of July so until it goes past that I'm not sweating it. 
  • SkScotcheggSkScotchegg Posts: 1,172
    Wintermute
    edited June 18
    RuneSR2 said:
    Something big also just happened for The Talos Principle - a massive 6GB patch. And no one knows why - the devs say nothing - but many speculate it has something to do with the Index:

I've wanted to try this game for a while, thanks for reminding me, I think this will be one of my next games to buy.

Is it as good as it looks in the trailers to play?

And any problems on Rift?
    UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!
    edited June 18
    RuneSR2 said:
    Something big also just happened for The Talos Principle - a massive 6GB patch. And no one knows why - the devs say nothing - but many speculate it has something to do with the Index:

I've wanted to try this game for a while, thanks for reminding me, I think this will be one of my next games to buy.

Yes!

No!

;)

Croteam - like Crytek - amazes by being able to achieve great performance from their game engine, and Talos being from Croteam (=Serious Sam) is similarly impressive. The textures are second to none, but would benefit greatly from higher res in VR than the CV1 can provide. Game runs great using ss 2.0 on my rig, even if it's 45 fps. 
    This game wasn't designed for VR from the ground up, but you do have nice hands and fingers. Since the game directly uses Oculus drivers (select Oculus rendering in the options menu), I'd suggest getting the Steam version.
    Did have one problem after patching - when playing for some time and pressing the flat left Touch button to get the in-game menu I got a black screen, but sound was working - no big deal though, the game itself works fine.  

• kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 4,573 Valuable Player

I don't want to get any hopes up - this is the reference to the NDA signing based on no "...alteration of release plans". You have to remember this is all governed by "Valve-time" and that is nebulous at best. 
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
    Valve just posted a long article about FOV, pretty cool stuff  <3  B)

https://www.valvesoftware.com/sv/index/deep-dive/fov

• TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 1,171
    Wintermute
    edited June 18
    RuneSR2 said:

Thanks for that mate!

What's not clear to me is how the 5 degree/eye lens canting is going to work for all VR systems.  They say that normal rear projection should handle this but I'm not sure it will if you load Oculus Store apps with Revive and/or use opencompositeVR?  This is the info so far;

"The main downside of canting is that both the existing software content library and the field of GPU rendering hardware are all typically optimized for parallel eyes. Fortunately, this may be readily compensated for in software using the re-projection techniques we already depend on for maintaining a constant frame rate. We just need to do a tiny bit every frame.... This way, apps past, present, and future may continue rendering in parallel as they always have, and they will "just work" for HMDs with mild amounts of cant angles."

I guess we will not really know for sure until brave beta testers with deep pocket let us know, lol! 

Alienware 17r4 laptop, 7700hq 2.8/3.6 ghz, 32gb ram, 250gb ssd, 1tb hd, gtx1060 w/6gb ram, Oculus Rift VR, Now with Alienware Graphics Amplifier w/gtx1080ti and Asus VG248QE external monitor. 

Now moved onto a custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled), gtx 1080 ti (from my AGA), 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card.

edited June 18
    TomCgcmfc said:
    RuneSR2 said:

Thanks for that mate!

What's not clear to me is how the 5 degree/eye lens canting is going to work for all VR systems.  They say that normal rear projection should handle this but I'm not sure it will if you load Oculus Store apps with Revive and/or use opencompositeVR?  This is the info so far;

"The main downside of canting is that both the existing software content library and the field of GPU rendering hardware are all typically optimized for parallel eyes. Fortunately, this may be readily compensated for in software using the re-projection techniques we already depend on for maintaining a constant frame rate. We just need to do a tiny bit every frame.... This way, apps past, present, and future may continue rendering in parallel as they always have, and they will "just work" for HMDs with mild amounts of cant angles."

I guess we will not really know for sure until brave beta testers with deep pocket let us know, lol! 
    I think with the way Revive works is that it uses SteamVR primarily and basically hacks the Oculus games to work with Steam. If that's the case then canting should still be accounted for by SteamVR like it would for any other game. When I use Re-Vive, Supersampling and all that is still done with SteamVR and all of my normal Steam functions still work. We won't know for sure until someone tries it though as I think the Re-Vive dev only has Knuckles and not an Index. 
    edited June 18
    RuneSR2 said:

BTW, Talos VR is on sale today for just $6:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/257510/The_Talos_Principle/ 

Some speculate it's because of the recent Knuckles support, but Croteam has had similar sales before, so I'm not sure the sale reflects Knuckles support...

• hoppingbunny123hoppingbunny123 Posts: 496
    Nexus 6
    based on my experience. i can game on the rift at 720p in virtual desktop. with the gtx 1060;

but the videocard is not getting 90fps. 70 fps about. i looked at the nvidia video cards and saw i would need a gtx 2070 to play the apex legends at 90fps on the drop and in game, on the drop now i get 46 fps or so.

i looked at the valve index and its resolution is twice that of 720p, its 1440p.

so take the gtx 2070, and multiply its fps power by 2, and thats what youll need to power the valve index and play the apex legends game at 1440p. the 2070 vs 2080ti has the 2080 ti about another half of the fps the 2070 is putting out, which puts it a bit too slow to run the valve index at 1440p and play apex legends at 90fps.

so it looks like youll have a hard time with the fps in the valve index and videocard.

i remember a while back people would speculate how it would be if the vr headset was too advanced for the videocards, and now we see that happen. even the most powerful videocard for consumers in existence is too weak!

let alone with no fancy ray tracing added.

but we will see when the nda is released.

• hoppingbunny123hoppingbunny123 Posts: 496
    Nexus 6
    i like to think of him as a gogo yubari type swing instead

i aint no gogo yubari though. not in apex legends.

edited June 19
    based on my experience. i can game on the rift at 720p in virtual desktop. with the gtx 1060;

but the videocard is not getting 90fps. 70 fps about. i looked at the nvidia video cards and saw i would need a gtx 2070 to play the apex legends at 90fps on the drop and in game, on the drop now i get 46 fps or so.

i looked at the valve index and its resolution is twice that of 720p, its 1440p.

so take the gtx 2070, and multiply its fps power by 2, and thats what youll need to power the valve index and play the apex legends game at 1440p. the 2070 vs 2080ti has the 2080 ti about another half of the fps the 2070 is putting out, which puts it a bit too slow to run the valve index at 1440p and play apex legends at 90fps.

so it looks like youll have a hard time with the fps in the valve index and videocard.

i remember a while back people would speculate how it would be if the vr headset was too advanced for the videocards, and now we see that happen. even the most powerful videocard for consumers in existence is too weak!

let alone with no fancy ray tracing added.

but we will see when the nda is released.

My understanding is you can set the index to 80/90/120/144. I have heard quite a few reports that they have managed to run a lot of games successfully at 120 with a reasonable card. With 80 you are then only really dealing with the increased resolution. The HP Reverb seems to be doing well with a high end card running flight sims and that has a much higher resolution.

This makes it possible to scale the experience to your card and allows it to excel further when new more powerful cards become available.

No doubt though any HMD is going to struggle with FPS if you want to run things on full whack.

However I have now watched the girl twirling a fire ball three times which I find infinitely more amazing than the index. Ah women will they every invent something more interesting :) 

edited June 19

5 nights together with Freddy and the Index:

Updated Knuckles Support Game List  o:)

TitleStatusSource
    #ArcheryImplementedX
    #SelfieTennisImplementedX
    #SkiJumpImplementedX
    A Township TaleImplementedX
    Accounting+ImplementedX
    Arizona SunshineImplementedX
    AudioshieldImplementedX
    Beat the Rhythm VRPendingX
    Bigscreen BetaImplementedX
    Blade and SorceryPendingX
    Blood TrailPendingX
    BONEWORKSPending ReleaseX
    ClimbeyImplementedX
    COMPOUNDImplementedX
    ContractorsPendingX
    Drop In - Battle RoyalePending ReleaseX
    Disassembly VRPendingX
    Drunkn Bar FightPendingX
    FirmamentPending ReleaseX
    Five Nights at Freddy’s VR: Help WantedPending ReleaseX
    FujiiImplementedX
    GORNImplementedX
    Gravity Lab - Gravitational Testing Facility & ObservationsImplementedX
    Gravity SketchPendingX
    Hand to Hand CombatPending ReleaseX
    HolodancePendingX
    Hot Dogs, Horseshoes & Hand GrenadesPendingX
    Jet IslandImplementedX
    Job SimulatorImplementedX
    ModboxImplementedX
    Moondust: Knuckles Tech DemosImplementedX
    Museum of Other RealitiesPending ReleaseX
    Natural LocomotionImplementedX
    Neos VRImplementedX
    No Man's SkyPending ReleaseX
    OnwardPendingX
    OpenVR Advanced SettingsImplementedX
    Pavlov VRPendingX
    PlutoImplementedX
    PokerStars VRImplementedX
    Rec RoomImplementedX
    Sairento VRImplementedX
    Serious Sam VR: The First EncounterImplementedX
    Serious Sam VR: The Second EncounterImplementedX
    Serious Sam VR: The Last HopeImplementedX
    Serious Sam 3 VR: BFEImplementedX
    Shadow Legend VRImplementedX
    SkyworldImplementedX
    Skyworld: Kingdom BrawlImplementedX
    Space Pirate TrainerImplementedX
    SUPERHOT VRImplementedX
    Tales Of GloryImplementedX
    The Gallery - Episode 1: Call of the StarseedPendingX
    The Gallery - Episode 2: Heart of the EmberstonePendingX
    The Talos Principle VRImplementedX
    The Woods: VR Escape the RoomPendingX
    Tilt BrushImplementedX
    Trover Saves the UniversePending ReleaseX
    Vacation SimulatorImplementedX
    Vanishing Realms™ImplementedX
    Vertigo 2Pending ReleaseX
    Vinyl RealityPendingX
    Virtual DesktopImplementedX
    Vox MachinaeImplementedX
    VRChatPendingX
    VTOL VRPendingX
    Waltz of the WizardPendingX
    Windlands 2ImplementedX