New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

The Index thread (please keep to subject)

Comments

• Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 4,155 Valuable Player
    edited November 2019
    @RuneSR2 THAT  looks like child abuse simulator. They could have at least made the girl a little older looking. The game is quite shocking. You sit there in the chair with limited movement and direct the poor lass to her doom before being killed yourself. If any non-gamers want to call-to-arms over a video game then this is surely up there with the likes of GTA. But, I suppose it's violence which is perfectly fine.  I guess then had it been an older person there might have been a sexual connotation somewhere depending on the outfit.  There's actually a really cool trap game on PS4 Deception IV which has sexy ladies and men getting crushed and killed via traps you set. 

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 5,967 Valuable Player
    @RuneSR2 THAT  looks like child abuse simulator. They could have at least made the girl a little older looking. The game is quite shocking. You sit there in the chair with limited movement and direct the poor lass to her doom before being killed yourself. 
    Ow, man, you just ruined the game to me :D BTW, I read in a review that you get very attached to the girl so it's emotionally disturbing and taxing when/if she dies... 
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
    edited November 2019
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

<3 Mondays  ;)

• LuciferousLuciferous Posts: 2,452 Valuable Player
    Lets hope they send the correct controller :smiley:
    edited November 2019

Indeed, or I'll buy a new pair, lol. The package has now left the warehouse - I guess the time from first contact to Support until the arrival of replacement hardware will be about 20 - 23 days. 

But I can play Pistol Whip with one controller - and enjoy Steam Home ;-)

It has been some great weeks where I've really bonded with the CV1 again. Playing Stormland still makes me think that the Index cannot replace the CV1, because the SDE, performance, oled and image quality are special. And having to depend on Revive isn't a situation I want to experience. The deep CV1 bass is also great.
    Some games will shine on the Index, while other benefit from CV1. At least until I get my 3080 Ti, lol - but still the Index reveals way too many details in some games, and I wonder if the Quest Link will have similar problems or will be able to make low-res textures look much more high-res like CV1. I consider CV1 a must-have for the older VR games (and current games that have been in development so long that these were primarily developed using 1st gen oled hmds, and I do consider Stormland belonging to such a category), while Index is for the future and several current games where devs have had enough time to optimize for lcd hmds - I think Boneworks would fit the latter description (and Pistol Whip too - blacks really look like pure and deep blacks using the Index in Pistol Whip, due to the high levels of contrast constantly used).  

Hmm, my controller actually arrived today, but I wasn't home and now need to fetch it in a local store. So it's snailmail from user to warehouse, and very speedy airmail from warehouse to the user. Took 7 days for me to ship to the warehouse, and just 2 days for return shipping. Processing at the warehouse took 1 week. 

• SkScotcheggSkScotchegg Posts: 1,330
    Project 2501
    I'm thinking of getting that Pistol Whip Rune, how is it? I love games like Beat Saber, Audica and Superhot, would this game sit on the shelf next to those three? Do you reckon I will love it if I like those three?
    UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!
    I'm thinking of getting that Pistol Whip Rune, how is it? I love games like Beat Saber, Audica and Superhot, would this game sit on the shelf next to those three? Do you reckon I will love it if I like those three?
    I like Pistol Whip a lot, if you like Beat Saber and SuperHot chances are you'll like Pistol Whip too - and you can use very high levels of ss and still get perfect 90 fps. I'd recommend trying Pistol Whip - you can always refund it if you don't like it.

• WildtWildt Posts: 2,289 Valuable Player
    I agree with @RuneSR2 - you"ll most likely enjoy Pistol Whip, especially if you enjoy improving your scores and/or competing with your friends on the leaderboards. 
    PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
    PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
    WMR: HP Reverb
    How to use two hmds with the same rig at the same time - but be careful not to hit or bump into each other, lol:

"For anyone else who has an index and a quest, the process was a little trial and error at first but it worked like a charm once I figured it out.

1. Ensure you have the same game purchased on both Oculus store and Steam.

2. Index user run Steam VR first and wait in home

3. Second user with Quest gets set up with HMD on

4. Index user from within steam VR go to desktop and start up oculus home

5. Quest user plugs in the link cable and confirms link HMD prompt within headset

6. Index user runs Onward on Oculus library

7. Immediately run Onward on steam

8. Profit

These steps ensure that you can smoothly set up the quest user from within your index HMD rather than trying to tell them what to do or to go back and forth yourself. It also ensures that your monitor is displaying the index/steam instance of Onward rather than the oculus one as this seems to kill performance if the other way around.

Gameplay was super smooth with a 2080ti and we were able to create a private game no issue.

I’m now going to be trying more games with this set up as the main criteria seems to be that they can be dual purchased on both steam and oculus.

Contractors should work in the same way along with Arizona Sunshine.

If anyone else has tried this, let me know how it worked for you!

I used the amazon basics cable for the link on the Quest. Worked great."

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/ValveIndex/comments/dz7f1w/2_people_played_on_index_and_quest_link_at_the/

edited November 2019

You do have a great way of making opening a potentially boring package *MUCH* more exciting!  :D 

Also some dude got a refurbished controller back, which had scuff marks and signs of being opened  :#

But fetched my package today:

Opened it...

Took a deep breath, aaaand - it's a lefty!  o:)

- and it looks completely new, perfectly clicks in all directions  <3

Even got another lanyard, lol - I don't use them, maybe I should... 

After reading many posts I'm confident that the lack if thumbstick clicking has been solved - drifting may still be an issue, we'll see.

Looks like I can finally look myself in the mirror again and say (lol)

Image result for im back

edited November 2019
    Tyler was right again - we get Half-Life: Alyx for free, just awesome - and suddenly it's ok having waited 20 days for the controller RMA, Valve you're forgiven  o:)  :D 

Click to enlarge:

Note that even if you only bought Index controllers, Alyx is free  :o

edited November 2019
    - and maybe the best news to some - Index is now available in Canada!  :)

Seems like Valve is trying to say "Merry Christmas everyone" ;) 

Alyx is also just  €45 - if they wanted, Valve could easily have charged a higher price. And you don't need the Index to play the game. I think Valve simply wants to share VR with as many persons as possible.

Index is back on top, lol:

Pretty sweet especially for Canadians. 

BTW, just paired the new controller and it's working perfectly. Perfect clicks all the way, no drifting etc - but drifting may take 3 months to develop. Just Revived Curious Tale of Stolen Pets res 200 % and it's awesome including solid 90 fps. And Pistol Whip also res 200% with giant fov and two pistols was really great too. 

But tomorrow this Index excursion will stop (I think) and it's back to CV1 Stormland  o:)

Anddddddd the drop just before Holiday Season.  Good call Valve.

Japan is happy too it seems, but I wonder about down under...

• hoppingbunny123hoppingbunny123 Posts: 875
    Trinity
    edited November 2019
    its for sale in canada now for 1319 before shipping and tax.

wow thats expensive for everyone i know, including me. i will wait till its under 1 grand canadien after tax and shipping, or there abouts. more excited about the quest 2 i expect to be announced. kevinw729 gave me the impression he knows something about that happening behind the scenes in the wings.
  • kojackkojack Posts: 6,579 Volunteer Moderator
    edited November 2019

RuneSR2 said:
    Japan is happy too it seems, but I wonder about down under...
    Nope, still not available in Aus.

edited November 2019
    Looks kinda cool (jump to 6:20 if my timestamp doesn't work):

edited November 2019
    Nice - just saw that Alyx has been added to my library - without me doing anything  :)

Feels like the Index just got a price cut from 1k to $950 ;)

• Comrade_IvanComrade_Ivan Posts: 126
    Art3mis
    RuneSR2 said:
    - and maybe the best news to some - Index is now available in Canada!  :)
    Thanks @RuneSR2 - lurking in this thread for months on end paid off.
    I was even considering orchestrating a temporary address change with my bank to my parcel pickup location in the USA, and a subsequent purchase shipped to said address. The only thing keeping me from doing that were potential problems if I had to warranty an item. Problem solved!
  • Comrade_IvanComrade_Ivan Posts: 126
    Art3mis

wow thats expensive for everyone i know, including me. i will wait till its under 1 grand canadien after tax and shipping, or there abouts.
    I paid $1,477.28 CAD yesterday and I consider it good value (if i Index is everything I'be been hearing - I'll know for sure when it gets here ). Not that I'm made of money, lol.
    I will add that $1,000 CAD is unrealistic, in my humble O. At least until Valve releases another headset, or the CAD reverts to it's at-par glory with USD from a few years back. 
    Reason I'm saying that is because valve is clearly not interested in competing in pricing. If anything, they leverage their pricing to demonstrate above grade quality.
    If they were to reduce the price that dramatically, they would devalue the brand that Index just helped establish. Think about how Apple maintains the brand integrity with their non-competitive pricing strategy in spite of producing largely uninteresting products these days
    edited November 2019
    Boneworks is coming - here presented using the Index from the devs - Boneworks may be considered the first game really made for the Index:

Potentially looks like another game where devs left out dynamic shadows?

• RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 7,423 Valuable Player
    edited November 2019
    RuneSR2 said:

If only the Oculus Quest came like that to start with then I'd purchase one tomorrow. I tested a mates out and it's far to front heavy, so I won't be purchasing one even if they drop in price. I'll wait for Oculus to get their comfort act together and hopefully they will do that with Oculus Quest 2, or I'll have to pass again. 

Having to pay $100 for the HTC head band and then more money for the PV that VR cover uses makes the Quest only £300 less then a Valve index. At-least with the Oculus CV1 all I had to get to make it extremely comfy was the PV Cover from VR Cover. I just hope my Oculus CV1 holds out for a couple of years.
    RuneSR2 said:
    Boneworks is coming - here presented using the Index from the devs - Boneworks may be considered the first game really made for the Index:

Potentially looks like another game where devs left out dynamic shadows?
    Lol, getting several downvotes on Reddit for stating the obvious that the game has no dynamic shadows, and I do think I'm right, even Boneworks devs have said that although you have a few scenes with dynamic lights and shadows, they've removed shadows to increase performance:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/823500/discussions/0/1639801448919902772/

Seems like there must be a lot of kids using Reddit, lol. 

Personally I greatly dislike games with no dynamic shadows, it really kills immersion and makes a game look quite dated, especially a game like Boneworks that implements a lot of physics. Just check out the totally awesome dynamic shadows in Lone Echo, and even deactivating natural shadows in Stormland you still get dynamic shadows. 

• hoppingbunny123hoppingbunny123 Posts: 875
    Trinity
    edited November 2019

wow thats expensive for everyone i know, including me. i will wait till its under 1 grand canadien after tax and shipping, or there abouts.
    I paid $1,477.28 CAD yesterday and I consider it good value (if i Index is everything I'be been hearing - I'll know for sure when it gets here ). Not that I'm made of money, lol.
    I will add that $1,000 CAD is unrealistic, in my humble O. At least until Valve releases another headset, or the CAD reverts to it's at-par glory with USD from a few years back. 
    Reason I'm saying that is because valve is clearly not interested in competing in pricing. If anything, they leverage their pricing to demonstrate above grade quality.
    If they were to reduce the price that dramatically, they would devalue the brand that Index just helped establish. Think about how Apple maintains the brand integrity with their non-competitive pricing strategy in spite of producing largely uninteresting products these days
    1477.28 will be down to a grand or so in 2 years time. the price always dips low after 2 years. and thats from the time it goes on sale. if i pay off my loans and house repairs, car repairs, etc and come into money i will pay the full price though. right now i can only afford a 500 or so price tag for vr so im looking at a quest 2 for my birthday in july next year.