New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

The Index thread (please keep to subject)

Comments

• WildtWildt Posts: 2,281 Valuable Player
    RuneSR2 said:
    RuneSR2 said:
    Boneworks is coming - here presented using the Index from the devs - Boneworks may be considered the first game really made for the Index:

Potentially looks like another game where devs left out dynamic shadows?
    Lol, getting several downvotes on Reddit for stating the obvious that the game has no dynamic shadows, and I do think I'm right, even Boneworks devs have said that although you have a few scenes with dynamic lights and shadows, they've removed shadows to increase performance:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/823500/discussions/0/1639801448919902772/

Seems like there must be a lot of kids using Reddit, lol. 

Personally I greatly dislike games with no dynamic shadows, it really kills immersion and makes a game look quite dated, especially a game like Boneworks that implements a lot of physics. Just check out the totally awesome dynamic shadows in Lone Echo, and even deactivating natural shadows in Stormland you still get dynamic shadows. 
    I agree with you, it looks super flat with no character shadows at all. Optimizing performance seems like a lost art nowadays.
    PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
    PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
    WMR: HP Reverb
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 2,284 Valuable Player
    RuneSR2 said:
    Japan is happy too it seems, but I wonder about down under...

kojack said:

RuneSR2 said:
    Nope, still not available in Aus.

Ya, us Aussies are getting the short end of the stick, lol!  

I just bought a Vive Pro (McLaren limited edition with valve 2.0 base stations and controllers) and with Wireless it works great (blacks even better than my cv1).  Those Vive controllers gotta go though.  Man they are terrible imho.  Ok in flight and racing sims where they are not needed.   I'm looking forward to picking up a pair of Index controllers if they ever make their way down under.

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti, 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, PCI-E PCI Express to USB 3.1 Gen 2 card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro w/2.0 base stations/controllers, Quest w/Link and VD wireless (good/close 5Ghz wifi and PC with Ethernet cable to my Router).

• RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 5,645 Valuable Player
    edited November 2019
    TomCgcmfc said:
    RuneSR2 said:

kojack said:

RuneSR2 said:
    Nope, still not available in Aus.

Ya, us Aussies are getting the short end of the stick, lol!  

I just bought a Vive Pro (McLaren limited edition with valve 2.0 base stations and controllers) and with Wireless it works great (blacks even better than my cv1).  Those Vive controllers gotta go though.  Man they are terrible imho.  Ok in flight and racing sims where they are not needed.   I'm looking forward to picking up a pair of Index controllers if they ever make their way down under.
    Index controllers aren't that expensive, maybe eBay could be an option. But beware of your possibilities if you need RMA - and there's still a high risk of needing RMA due to drifting with Index controllers. Wands may be terrible ergonomically - but may have great build quality and last for many years, lol ;)
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
    edited November 2019
    BTW - a new thread comparing Index and Vive Pro, could be biased toward the Index ;)

https://www.reddit.com/r/ValveIndex/comments/e0wvkl/vive_pro_hmd_vs_valve_index_hmd_what_do_you_think/
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

edited November 2019
    A nice video about Boneworks also confirming that the devs removed dynamic shadows - although the devs had implemented dynamic shadows earlier, and you can see nice dynamic shadows in the footage from earlier gameplay videos:

I'm planning on buying the game, with or without shadows, and compared to Alyx you've got nice arms and body in Boneworks. The price will be $30. 

BTW - this is how Boneworks looked a few months ago - with dynamic shadows:

- and this is how the game looks now - without shadows:

To me it looks like the devs are about to completely ruin the game...

• Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 4,134 Valuable Player
    Yep it's quite the difference. It's a strange thing isn't it. VR is supposed to be about immersion but when you remove details that increase immersion it's a bit puzzling. I can understand it might be a pain to optimize with shadows enabled but then perhaps have the option on/off so people can choose based on what system they operate. Perhaps the devs here believe players will be so immersed with the physics they won't give a hoot about the dynamic shadows etc.

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 7,189 Valuable Player
    Has anyone told Boneworks that shadow works better in games.
    edited November 2019
    RedRizla said:
    Has anyone told Boneworks that shadow works better in games.
    Yes - feel free to join in  o:)

https://steamcommunity.com/app/823500/discussions/0/1660069015241252188/

The devs say shadows cost so much performance-wise that it corresponds to adding 12-24 opponents, and they'd rather choose the latter... 

Of course that's understandable, but I still think it breaks the game. Also recommended system specs are already very high:

RECOMMENDED:
      • Processor: Intel i7 7700k or greater, 3.3ghz+
      • Memory: 16 GB RAM
      • Graphics: GTX 1080 / 2060super or greater for Rift CV1+Touch, Original Vive 90hz, and RiftS 80hz
      • DirectX: Version 11
      • Storage: 20 GB available space
      • Additional Notes: CPU performance required for physics calculations!

- and note that Index is not mentioned here, probably because Index will require a faster gpu than 1080 or 2060 Super - for solid 90 fps. Disabling shadows may have been a necessarily evil... 

edited November 2019
    Boneworks had a lot of hype surrounding it prior to the HL:Alyx announcement with some making a connection between the developers and Valve. I feel some of the wind-in-the-sails will now be diminished as a result. On one hand you have a game that looks like Garry's Mod in VR and the other a fully fledged AAA VR experience.  March 2020 isn't so far away.  :disappointed:

edited November 2019
    Image result for crowbar gif
    Boneworks has gotten much attention by including Half-Life-ish content, but it could cause a backlash if people find out that you'll need a 2080 (Ti) to run the Index smoothly - and if the graphics don't look good... 
    Valve has always taken great care to deliver incredible performance and image quality on modest rigs, but that's possible when you've got 50+ persons working on the same game for years - to my knowledge Boneworks devs don't have such ressources. Right now, Boneworks looks like Alyx' foreplay at best, lol. 

• WildtWildt Posts: 2,281 Valuable Player
    Seems to me the devs went all in on physics, and when they realized there wasn't enough cpu left for dynamic lighting they had the choice between a thorough optimizing run, or just turning the damn thing off altogether.
    PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
    PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
    WMR: HP Reverb
    The devs are somewhat vague, but it seems they are saying there will be a toggle for dynamic lights - and Boneworks has its own subReddit, I just found out today - more about lighting here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/boneworks/comments/e0nm9q/first_trailers_showed_dynamic_shadows_now_no/

• kojackkojack Posts: 6,488 Volunteer Moderator
    RuneSR2 said:
    Boneworks has gotten much attention by including Half-Life-ish content, but it could cause a backlash if people find out that you'll need a 2080 (Ti) to run the Index smoothly - and if the graphics don't look good... 
    Valve has always taken great care to deliver incredible performance and image quality on modest rigs, but that's possible when you've got 50+ persons working on the same game for years - to my knowledge Boneworks devs don't have such ressources. Right now, Boneworks looks like Alyx' foreplay at best, lol. 
    Remember Half Life 2 shadows weren't that good. I always disliked Hl2's shadows because there was only a single light source (the sun) for all dynamic shadows (even indoors), the environmental lighting had no effect (it only affected baked shadows on the BSP walls). Seeing a crate cast a shadow that went in the wrong direction compared to a room's light source was off putting.

Alyx may be about much more than great image quality - namely sound  B)

https://valvesoftware.github.io/steam-audio/

RuneSR2 said:
    Looks kinda cool (jump to 6:20 if my timestamp doesn't work):

The perfect fit, Valve didn't test the thumbsticks, and Tesla never tested the glass  :D

On Oculus subReddit some dude asked using a strawpoll "on which headset will you play half life Alyx"? The results are quite strange - note this is from the main Oculus subReddit forum:

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/e1cnff/strawpoll_on_which_headset_will_you_play_half/

The top three hmds are all non-Oculus hmds. In fact more than 75 % is made up of Index + Vive + WMR + Pimax! 

Kinda makes you wonder how many users who don't own an Oculus hmd are active in the Oculus subReddit... Hmmmm, btw, for long I've also been thinking that there's something strange and peculiar about the men in this video...

• LuciferousLuciferous Posts: 2,425 Valuable Player
    More than likely they had an Oculus and jumped ship but like this forum still are members.
  • SkScotcheggSkScotchegg Posts: 1,328
    Project 2501
    edited November 2019
    That's a cool survey but I reckon you'd need a bigger pool of people to take part in the survey to see more realistic numbers.

I highly doubt more people will be playing Half Life Alyx on Index compared to people playing it on all three Oculus HMD's combined.

Even if you combine the numbers in this survey above it comes to 24% which puts Oculus in joint 2nd place with HTC Vive.

But I think if more people took part in this survey from the VR community I reckon Oculus would come out No.1 on the survey.

Also if Oculus announces CV2 soon and it also matches or exceeds Index specs and comes in between £600-£800 then surely that is checkmate for Oculus?

Every other company has already shown their cards. We just need to wait and see what Oculus pulls out the bag next. We're all waiting for CV2 and expecting CV2. If they come through with a CV2 which has the same specs as Index or better then I'm sure everyone will buy it and I'm 100% certain Oculus would never charge as much as Valve for their next HMD.

Just imagine in December just before Christmas if Oculus make a massive announcement:

Oculus "CV2 + Lone Echo 2 for £799" - Coming June 2020".

Then you'd save £120 on an Index. and have the same specs or better.

But actually I don't think it will be £799, I still think it will be closer to £600-£700.
    UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!
    The survey is now based on 2,500 votes - that's quite a lot - and trends are similar to when there were 1,700 votes. This is quite solid statistics, but let's see what happens.

That's a cool survey but I reckon you'd need a bigger pool of people to take part in the survey to see more realistic numbers.

I highly doubt more people will be playing Half Life Alyx on Index compared to people playing it on all three Oculus HMD's combined.

Even if you combine the numbers in this survey above it comes to 24% which puts Oculus in joint 2nd place with HTC Vive.

But I think if more people took part in this survey from the VR community I reckon Oculus would come out No.1 on the survey.

Also if Oculus announces CV2 soon and it also matches or exceeds Index specs and comes in between £600-£800 then surely that is checkmate for Oculus?

Every other company has already shown their cards. We just need to wait and see what Oculus pulls out the bag next. We're all waiting for CV2 and expecting CV2. If they come through with a CV2 which has the same specs as Index or better then I'm sure everyone will buy it and I'm 100% certain Oculus would never charge as much as Valve for their next HMD.

Just imagine in December just before Christmas if Oculus make a massive announcement:

Oculus "CV2 + Lone Echo 2 for £799" - Coming June 2020".

Then you'd save £120 on an Index. and have the same specs or better.

But actually I don't think it will be £799, I still think it will be closer to £600-£700.

What kind of fanboy nonsense did you just write dude?

:o 

• EvileyesEvileyes Posts: 354
    Trinity
    RuneSR2 said:
    RuneSR2 said:
    Looks kinda cool (jump to 6:20 if my timestamp doesn't work):

The perfect fit, Valve didn't test the thumbsticks, and Tesla never tested the glass  :D

This is random... HOWEVER. 

I just wanted to state, the Tesla I bought a few months ago.. is the absolutely best car ive ever owned.. and I've owned all the top brands.. MBZ, BMW etc... This model 3 Shiets on them all... There is so much to say, how good it is.. I wont even go into detail. I mean if it had a tailpipe I would... nvm.

i7 X5960 @ 4200Mhz, 16GB ram, EVGA 2080 ti FTW
    Need a Tesla? Here is a free 1000 miles in supercharging!
    https://ts.la/mark56706
  • kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 5,245 Valuable Player
    very other company has already shown their cards. We just need to wait and see what Oculus pulls out the bag next. We're all waiting for CV2 and expecting CV2. If they come through with a CV2 which has the same specs as Index or better then I'm sure everyone will buy it and I'm 100% certain Oculus would never charge as much as Valve for their next HMD.

Just imagine in December just before Christmas if Oculus make a massive announcement......

Thank you for sharing your passion - but I think you can see that your statement does come across as unrealistic, and a little from a wishful perspective. The chances of a CV2 that would represent what you envisage is very unlikely (I will never say never). I do expect a CV2 for the Quest, but I think the cards are dealt for the Rift-S and CV1 (PC) respectively. All rests on what the HD/Quest hybrid could look like for a 2022 window; and if it can compete with the expected list of new standalone entrants at CES next year, a lot of other companies throwing in a hat to the ring with more powerful offerings. So a lot depends on Quest (and not some dream-ware) achieving the sales goals before January 2020, to stay in contention and get a second chance.

You are about to hear about some "massive announcements" before Christmas from OculusVR - I am just not sure they will be what your optimistic speculation is expecting! 

urdgfqqehbbb.png
    ** Second New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
  • Comrade_IvanComrade_Ivan Posts: 126
    Art3mis
    What's the story with so many people tlaking about CV2 as of late? This thread is the third time I'm hearing about it in a week. Did someone official drop a hint which started the rumor?
    edited November 2019
    What's the story with so many people tlaking about CV2 as of late? This thread is the third time I'm hearing about it in a week. Did someone official drop a hint which started the rumor?

Will keep this short as this is a Valve INDEX thread and we seem to be straying off topic [maybe time for a new CV2 Discussion?]

To your point Comrade_Ivan - part of the reason for the CV2 discussion is that there was some leaked info released about the HalfDome update and that stirred the forums. Most of it is speculation and a lot of reading between OC6 presentation statement. Also the OculusVR community has been waiting so hard for Quest Link, and seeing Valve INDEX get so much attention with the HL3 news and interest kinda irks them - so they want to change the subject... now back to INDEX!

urdgfqqehbbb.png
    ** Second New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
  • MradrMradr Posts: 3,879 Valuable Player
    edited November 2019
    kevinw729 said:

Will keep this short as this is a Valve INDEX thread and we seem to be straying off topic [maybe time for a new CV2 Discussion?]

To your point Comrade_Ivan - part of the reason for the CV2 discussion is that there was some leaked info released about the HalfDome update and that stirred the forums. Most of it is speculation and a lot of reading between OC6 presentation statement. Also the OculusVR community has been waiting so hard for Quest Link, and seeing Valve INDEX get so much attention with the HL3 news and interest kinda irks them - so they want to change the subject... now back to INDEX!

To keep short we be more likely to see a Quest Pro than a CV2 at this point and this late into the game. We be more likely to hear about a Index 2 sooner than a CV2 though. They already said that most of the tech shown off will be again another 5 years and I am sure it'll all make it into the Quest # as slow releases. 

I can't lie though - last few weeks I been really eyeing that Index:) if they release some discount with it at this point - I might pick one up. The games coming out for DEC is looking like a reason to get desktop VR again. With Link, if it does provide at least 80-90% of what we have now though - it might keep me there still. 
    edited November 2019
    Mradr said:
    To keep short we be more likely to see a Quest Pro than a CV2 at this point and this late into the game. We be more likely to hear about a Index 2 sooner than a CV2 though. They already said that most of the tech shown off will be again another 5 years and I am sure it'll all make it into the Quest # as slow releases. 

I can't lie though - last few weeks I been really eyeing that Index:) if they release some discount with it at this point - I might pick one up. The games coming out for DEC is looking like a reason to get desktop VR again. With Link, if it does provide at least 80-90% of what we have now though - it might keep me there still. 

I agree that the Index has started a slow burn - though its price point is hurting interest. A price drop with the launch of HL3 will be interesting on what it stimulates.

A Quest Pro is obviously in the wings, but we have seen a number of the team redirected into other forays (including the AR project!) But I really wonder if a Quest2 will ever be a thing, and not a AR/VR hybrid? 
    urdgfqqehbbb.png
    ** Second New Book **
  • Comrade_IvanComrade_Ivan Posts: 126
    Art3mis
    kevinw729 said:. 
    But I really wonder if a Quest2 will ever be a thing, and not a AR/VR hybrid? 
    I am amazed at the sudden gear shift in the VR/AR/MR hardware development we saw this year. If Quest 2, Index 2 or any other second-gen HMD comes out in the next 5 years, they'll still have a hard time to push the tech forward in as big a leap as we saw in the past 6 months. 

Say Valve releases Index 2 in 5 years - I'm curious to hear what everyone here wants to see in terms of features.

Increased FOV?
    Foveated rendering?
    Controllerless finger tracking?

What would be your (realistic) expectations of the next-gen HMD and in what priority?
    I think we are at the fundamentals of this phase of the VR chase.
    What we will see now is serious enhancements:

1- Size / weight
    2- FOV
    3- Resolution
    4- Tracking / Interface

I really think that the bean-counters will not loosen the purse any further without a serious sales projection that can be married to a ROI. We saw that with the VR team being cut back at Valve pre-launch. The sudden shift in AR launch from the FACEBOOK internal pool, and a exodus from OVR speaks volumes for the medium term. 

Quest sales will have to pull some impressive shapes to get funding on a Quest Pro before the time like laid out previously. And I really do not think a Valve 2 (or a Valve Pro) is on the cards any time soon. Two of the leading dev lights behind the project are off already! Re-starting a dev team like that is no simple task - five years at best!

PS. Just one additional "enhancement" to add to the list:

5- Delivery System
    In a entertainment sector fixated by Streaming, I wonder if a all in one content platform would also be of interest for the next phase?

urdgfqqehbbb.png
    ** Second New Book **
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 7,189 Valuable Player
    Well I hope something good arrives soon. I have the excellent HP Reverb for seated experiences, but the shitty cable lets it down when it comes to room scale. I'm now saving for a Valve index due to the tracking, but I'm hoping something turns up that is cheaper and better. I doubt it will be a CV2 from Oculus though. I'm starting to believe the only thing coming from Oculus from now on is an Oculus Quests linked to a Pc. Lot's of people left Oculus who would have been involved in making the Oculus CV2, so I don't expect to see one tbh. 

Oculus themselves have said they will keep their VR headsets cheap from now on and I don't think you can make a cheap Oculus CV2 right now. I just wish HP Reverb had stuck a few more camera's on their headset and got rid of that silly cable they use, but the HP Reverb is still an excellent headset when seated. Elite Dangerous Fallout 4 and DCS World etc. All those games look fantastic in the HP Reverb.