New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

The Index thread (please keep to subject)

Comments

• RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 6,839 Valuable Player
    edited December 2019
    TomCgcmfc said:

I hate to tell ya but Boiling Steel (from VivePort) looks absolutely beautiful on my Rift cv1 with 2.0 SS w/OTT.  Like you I disabled in-game msaa and left all other in-game settings default.  I might try it later with my Vive Pro but I doubt it will look much better and the Rift touch controllers work so much better than those Vive wands.
    Nice - and see what one dev just wrote!

"Yes, of course, the game has support for Oculus drivers. You can start the game from Oculus Home with Steam running, and without starting SteamVR."

That's just awesome. So here we are with much more expensive hmds jumping with joy because a new game works with our old CV1 ss 2.0  :D But CV1 ss 2.0 is just a special feeling - and asw 2.0 - and a great possibility for games that don't always work in solid 90 fps when pushing res on the Index  o:) Can't help thinking that I really hope Boneworks has native Oculus support too :blush: - especially if real time shadows are so demanding as the devs say they will be. 

Unfortunately I have to prepare for tomorrow's work this evening, can't boil any steel tonight :'( 
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
    The virtual newspaper just arrived - and it's free too  B)

Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

• WildtWildt Posts: 2,297 Valuable Player
    If they re-implement TF2 VR support with motion controls, I'm gonna be the happiest camper round these parts.
    PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
    PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
    WMR: HP Reverb
  • kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 5,837 Valuable Player
    RuneSR2 said:
    The virtual newspaper just arrived - and it's free too  B)

Thanks for sharing this - it kinda validates what has been discussed on other forums and groups for years.

Its a real shame that Valve entered into bunker mode for so long in the first place. We know that this company has a "unique" management style, and the heads are very set in their ways. But to see so much surprise in the reaction to their announcement must underline to the executive team that they have dropped the ball on how they have been handling business. To realize that all those canned projects are worth something is an embarrassing admittance of poor business practice.

I can agree that the Valve prior to the announcement and post is a totally different operation. Other voices are being allowed and there is also a much more open approach to discussions and possible opportunities. Its as if one particular "gate keeper" has been removed and that with this "flushing" the whole system has been reinvigorated. Its such a shame one individual could have been such a block to what is a great community. Now they have to work out how they can manufacturer more Index's! (whoops)
    2xan55713klf.png
    https://vrawards.aixr.org/
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
    edited December 2019
    So the money's on Left 4 Dead VR:

Seems like The Days of the Index might start tonight and last for awhile ;)

Yeah @RuneSR2, the safe money is on L4D as the next VR title, the game was nearly 80% complete before the "management decision" - just a shame that the original team was disbanded, would have liked to see them completed what they works so hard on to start.
    2xan55713klf.png
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
    kevinw729 said:
    Yeah @RuneSR2, the safe money is on L4D as the next VR title, the game was nearly 80% complete before the "management decision" - just a shame that the original team was disbanded, would have liked to see them completed what they works so hard on to start.

Personally I'm a great fan of Arizona Sunshine, not sure we need another zombie shooter - then again, it's Valve, I'm sure they can make a zombie shooter beyond my wildest dreams - but Alyx first, lol. 

• Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 4,314 Valuable Player
    Imagine witches. Mic sensitivity automatically turned up. You need to keep quiet. Shhhh!

System Specs: ASUS NVIDIA RTX 3090 TUF GAMING OC 24GB , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
    RuneSR2 said:
    Personally I'm a great fan of Arizona Sunshine, not sure we need another zombie shooter - then again, it's Valve, I'm sure they can make a zombie shooter beyond my wildest dreams - but Alyx first, lol. 

I would find it difficult to claim there is "too much" of one particular genre in VR, though there are a lot of zombie-blasters I still think that waiting on what Valve can bring to the genre is a safe bet. I am sure we wont be saying there are too many PvP war shooters when OculusVR releases their "Medal of Honor VR" - they paid a lot for that and its not sure (as with "Rock Band VR") that this is the right mix for the fledgling VR scene - but we shall see.
    2xan55713klf.png
    Imagine witches. Mic sensitivity automatically turned up. You need to keep quiet. Shhhh!
    To expand this. Death Stranding has moments where Sam (the lead character you play) has to hold his breath whilst avoiding the ghostly enemies. Well, imagine clever use of the MIC in VR where any sound you make attracts the attention of the enemies. I use the witch example because that's part of the L4D gameplay. Espire 1 has you shout "Freeze" to hold up guards. The mic is very much underused in games in general but because in VR it's right on your head it could be used more in situations like this.

System Specs: ASUS NVIDIA RTX 3090 TUF GAMING OC 24GB , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
    edited December 2019
    Things seem to be going well for the Index right now... Possibly boosted by Boneworks:

• WildtWildt Posts: 2,297 Valuable Player
    edited December 2019
    Ben from R2VR found good use for the index finger tracking while reviewing Boneworks! :lol:

Index’s finger-tracking capabilities were put to good use as I occasionally extended my middle finger to the physics-gods responsible for my plight.

PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
    PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
    WMR: HP Reverb
    Wildt said:
    Ben from R2VR found good use for the index finger tracking while reviewing Boneworks! :lol:

Index’s finger-tracking capabilities were put to good use as I occasionally extended my middle finger to the physics-gods responsible for my plight.

Occasionally I did get that too, never get that in other games and apps supporting full finger tracking, the devs must be to blame, lol. 

• LuciferousLuciferous Posts: 2,597 Valuable Player
    edited December 2019
    With regard to sound, In Stormlands you can hold a firework display behind one of the robots without it realising you are there. Very off putting and means stealth is pretty much useless.

Arizona sunshine is one of my favourites but the movement and world interaction is pretty crap. No melee, zombies clipping through everything, getting stuck on invisible objects leading to death by swearing.  No jump or climbing. Gun play is good though and the original non dlc had very good voice acting and humour.

Certainly a lot of room for improvement with Left for Dead VR.

With regard to sound, In Stormlands you can hold a firework display behind one of the robots without it realising you are there. Pretty off putting and means stealth is pretty much useless.

Arizona sunshine is one of my favourites but the movement and world interaction is pretty crap. No melee, zombies clipping through everything, getting stuck on invisible objects leading to death by swearing.  No jump or climbing.

Certainly a lot of room for improvement with Left for Dead VR.

Personally I'd love Valve to do Portal VR, but I do realize that among VR newbies such a game would probably be called "the puke generator", lol. Maybe it's better to shoot stuff... 

Yeah not sure that would work well, with all the precision jumping and fast movement. I don't think VR is there yet for that, unless it was something more like the film 'The Cube'

Comparison of Rift-S and Index by a dude who also owned a CV1: 

https://www.reddit.com/r/ValveIndex/comments/e9dgy4/rift_s_to_index_experience/

• TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 2,840 Valuable Player
    edited December 2019
    RuneSR2 said:

Unfortunately most headset comparisons do not specify PC specs.  I have come to the conclusion that if you have a high end gaming desktop PC then pretty well all VR headsets work ok.  While there are pros and cons, if you have a strong enough PC to run a Rift cv1 at 2.0 SS it does not get much better than this imho.

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti, 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, PCI-E PCI Express to USB 3.1 Gen 2 card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro w/2.0 base stations/controllers, Quest w/Link and VD wireless (good/close 5Ghz wifi and PC with Ethernet cable to my Router).

TomCgcmfc said:
    RuneSR2 said:

Unfortunately most headset comparisons do not specify PC specs.  I have come to the conclusion that if you have a high end gaming desktop PC then pretty well all VR headsets work ok.  While there are pros and cons, if you have a strong enough PC to run a Rift cv1 at 2.0 SS it does not get much better than this imho.

Good to hear I'm not alone appreciating ss 2.0 to such a degree - I can still remember Cyber making a bit fun of me for using ss 2.0 some years ago (but I can take it ;-). Maybe it does take some time to see the difference - and going from ss 1.5 to ss 2.0 might not always be that easy to see (also depending on your vision) - or from 1.7 to 2.0. But try to use ss 2.0 for a week or two, and now try to reduce to 1.5 or 1.7, and at least I can easily sense that something does not look "right". It has to do with the sharpness, also including text readability.  
    Especially Stormland is a true work of art, somehow the devs chose colors and graphics that usually do an incredible job of hiding the CV1 SDE. I've written it before, but especially in Stormland when using CV1 ss 2.0 I really do feel that graphics and general image quality look better than Index res 100% (but of course you don't get the fov). 
    That's why I don't think people should be sad or envious of Index users, if they have to use their old and dusty CV1 for Alyx, because if you can run Alyx using ss 2.0 (or close, 1.8 does work nicely too) you may get an experience that isn't worse than using far more expensive hmds. Also Alyx has been in development for many years, many textures and in-game locations may originally have been designed for oled hmds.
    That said, Index res 150 - 200% is superior to CV1 ss 2.0, but I doubt I can run Alyx using Index res 200% - unless I get that 3080 Ti soon, lol.

• TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 2,840 Valuable Player
    Mate, I hate to admit it but I kinda used to be a non-believer of cv1 2.0 SS until I got a much better desktop gaming PC ~7 months ago (i9 9900k, gtx1080ti, 32Gb 3000 ram, 1tb ssd,...).  I was then able to run most games at 2.0 SS even without ASW.  Maybe when we both get a rtx3080ti we can give 3.0 SS a go, lol!

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti, 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, PCI-E PCI Express to USB 3.1 Gen 2 card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro w/2.0 base stations/controllers, Quest w/Link and VD wireless (good/close 5Ghz wifi and PC with Ethernet cable to my Router).

edited December 2019
    TomCgcmfc said:
    Mate, I hate to admit it but I kinda used to be a non-believer of cv1 2.0 SS until I got a much better desktop gaming PC ~7 months ago (i9 9900k, gtx1080ti, 32Gb 3000 ram, 1tb ssd,...).  I was then able to run most games at 2.0 SS even without ASW.  Maybe when we both get a rtx3080ti we can give 3.0 SS a go, lol!

I actually did spend some time going beyond ss 2.0 in Talos Principle, and you can see benefits and visual improvements going to ss 2.25 and even 2.5 - but the performance impact was severe on my system. I found a fence in the game and now I walked backwards until the grid became so distorted due to lack of res that I could no longer make out the original grid. But then I could increase ss to 2.25 and suddenly I could see the original grid again - quite amazing! (This also illustrates the increased 3D depth perception caused by increased ss - you can see longer and more clearly when increasing ss.) But we're now using tons of gpu power to get quite small improvements, so ss 2.25 or 2.50 probably only makes sense if you have an excess of gpu power - like getting that 3080 Ti. Going beyond ss 2.5 may reveal limited improvements due to the low native res of the CV1 and the SDE - but I have not tested ss 3.0 thoroughly, lol. 
    Some dude wrote yesterday on Valve Index Reddit that res 500% with the Index looked beyond awesome - I think he could use that in Google Earth VR - it does make some sense, although I think the difference between 200% (or 300%) to 500% might be rather small, but I have not yet tried 500% in Google Earth VR. I do see a difference going from res 150% to 200% using the Index (res 200% is the same as ss 2.0, but now relative to the native Index res). 

Yes I got a better card not long ago and it feels like I have a new headset with SS 2.0. Stormlands looks particularly beautiful. 
    Sounds strange if full locomotion isn't implemented yet, because teleport or locomotion will have profound implications for the gameplay - and a few months from release gameplay should be more or less finalized... We'll see...

edited December 2019
    Thanks for sharing this @RuneSR2 - it really seems that a civil war has been waged inside Valve of late, the two sides (the old guard and the new thinkers) have been battling it out since the HLA announcement and the sudden pivot towards a open communication (narrative). The last redoubt for the old guard was teleportation - if Boneworks forces a rethink, then no telling how much blood letting will follow!

The "Valve Bubble" as so well described in the video is really down too three individuals within the operation - and while Valve has more money than Croesus, they are not totally unanswerable - and dropping the ball (like this 12th hour pull out) will have to be addressed. Maybe its time for some retirements?
    2xan55713klf.png
    edited December 2019
    kevinw729 said:
    Thanks for sharing this @RuneSR2 - it really seems that a civil war has been waged inside Valve of late, the two sides (the old guard and the new thinkers) have been battling it out since the HLA announcement and the sudden pivot towards a open narrative. The last redoubt for the old guard was teleportation - if Boneworks forces a rethink, then no telling how much blood letting will follow!

Agreed, HLA launching as teleport only would be a huge embarrassment that would indicate that Valve is completely out of touch with current VR control preferences.  And it would be an embarrassment showing HLA with teleport only this late in the game's development process. 2c. 

PS. The trailer did have a few scenes looking like full locomotion though - or cleverly hidden teleport controls ;)

edited December 2019
    Agreed, the video comment about how long Valve has known the direction Boneworks was taking, and the stubbornness of some in the operation to still go down their path kinda shows not just an arrogance but also a dangerous disdain for the community. I think they are showing the worst kind of symptoms of bunker-mode. Though the changes in openness after the surprise of HLA reaction could spell the beginning of changes. As we have seen following recent departures at OculusVR. 
    2xan55713klf.png
    RuneSR2 said:

PS. The trailer did have a few scenes looking like full locomotion though - or cleverly hidden teleport controls ;)

Are you sure? It all looks rather static and scripted to me.

• SkScotcheggSkScotchegg Posts: 1,330
    Project 2501
    I'll try Stormland with 2.0 ss tonight. Also Rune, Boneworks is the first game I've ever played where I actually feel like I need/want more FOV!!!

I envy you with your Index!

Have you tried Boneworks with CV1 and then Index? Is the FOV really great with Index?

I really hope in the future we get a lot bigger FOV on all VR HMD's. After 3 years the FOV on CV1 and Rift S simply won't do.
    UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!
    RuneSR2 said:

Are you sure? It all looks rather static and scripted to me.
    No, I'm not sure - could be scripted - but the very first scene did not look like standard teleport - but it's a trailer, they can do anything ;-)