New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

The Index thread (please keep to subject)

Comments

• RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 5,588 Valuable Player
    edited December 2019
    I'll try Stormland with 2.0 ss tonight. Also Rune, Boneworks is the first game I've ever played where I actually feel like I need/want more FOV!!!

I envy you with your Index!

Have you tried Boneworks with CV1 and then Index? Is the FOV really great with Index?

I really hope in the future we get a lot bigger FOV on all VR HMD's. After 3 years the FOV on CV1 and Rift S simply won't do.

I have to unplug the Index to use CV1 in SteamVR, and I have one basic rule: "You never unplug the Index (unless you need to after a firmware upgrade)", lol. I really don't want to risk any conflicts by using CV1 in SteamVR, especially when Index is working perfectly in SteamVR (haven't had problems for months). I only play Steam games using CV1 when these have native Oculus driver support and therefore can be played without starting SteamVR - like Boiling Steel, Alien Isolation, Polybius, Boneworks 2 VR and more. 

Index fov is great in Boneworks - it's the one game, due to the many awesome textures and possibility to use res 200%@90fps, where I really would not consider the CV1. Boneworks seems totally Index optimized, so I do not get grey blacks, at least not something I've noticed - like in Pistol Whip, Index shines in Boneworks. Also for the sound. 

BTW - one dude recently posted (note that 110 x 100 is 61% bigger than 85 x 80 and 38% bigger than 100 x 80 - just to provide some estimates): 

I don't know if I did it correctly but I did all headsets the same it should give you a comparison.

Here are my results:

(Horizontal, Vertical)

Index: H: 110 V:100

Quest: H:100 V:80

Rift S: H:85 V:80

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/e7rzp8/why_does_nobody_talk_about_the_small_rift_s_fov/

Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • Comrade_IvanComrade_Ivan Posts: 125
    Art3mis
    edited December 2019
    Interesting discovery I made the other day.

I use a switchable USB hub so I never have to unplug my headsets when switching from one to another. Well, a while ago I forgot to turn my Index on before I hopped into VR.

Surprisingly, I only discovered that after spending 30 minutes in Altspace VR - Index worked just fine without its USB switched on.

Not sure if my USB hub switch only turns its power on/off, or the whole power/data shebang. I'm guessing just the power, cause this discovery makes very little sense to me
    edited December 2019
    For those planning on enjoying Alyx with the Index in March 2020, be careful not to plan for too long, lol - time may be running out ;)

Post image
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

RuneSR2 said:

PS. The trailer did have a few scenes looking like full locomotion though - or cleverly hidden teleport controls ;)

Are you sure? It all looks rather static and scripted to me.
    Worth mentioning may be that Valve - since Alyx was introduced - has promised full locomotion. Still strange if it's not fully implemented yet:

• TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 2,265 Valuable Player
    RuneSR2 said:
    For those planning on enjoying Alyx with the Index in March 2020, be careful not to plan for too long, lol - time may be running out ;)

Post image
    I hope Index controllers eventually becomes available in Australia.  I def would like to kick my Vive Pro controllers to the side of the curb, lol!  At least they are useable and pretty robust, but no way as nice to use as my Rift CV1 touch controllers imho.

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti, 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, PCI-E PCI Express to USB 3.1 Gen 2 card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro w/2.0 base stations/controllers, Quest w/Link and VD wireless (good/close 5Ghz wifi and PC with Ethernet cable to my Router).

TomCgcmfc said:
    RuneSR2 said:

Post image
    I hope Index controllers eventually becomes available in Australia.  I def would like to kick my Vive Pro controllers to the side of the curb, lol!  At least they are useable and pretty robust, but no way as nice to use as my Rift CV1 touch controllers imho.

I think Touch and Knuckles each have their pros and cons, Touch is easier to use, but doesn't have the advanced functions that Knuckles have. Using Revive I really do not notice that Knuckles are now Touch - in fact Knuckles feel much more like holding a gun or a sword, like when I played Space Pirate Trainer last night. 
    I think much comes down to if a game was primarily made for Touch or Knuckles. Like Boiling Steel - it really shines with Touch, but feels more cumbersome with Knuckles. But in games like Pistol Whip, Until You Fall and Boneworks I'd go for Knuckles and never look back ;) 

Once Valve Index Controllers (not called Knuckles anymore btw) are available in Australia and all issues like thumbstick clicking and long term drifting are sorted out, I will def look at buying these.

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti, 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, PCI-E PCI Express to USB 3.1 Gen 2 card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro w/2.0 base stations/controllers, Quest w/Link and VD wireless (good/close 5Ghz wifi and PC with Ethernet cable to my Router).

edited December 2019
    Just saw this one, lol

I'm sure the "I kid" refers to Luckey not having trouble finding great Index experiences ;)

• kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 5,235 Valuable Player
    Funny how he never did a Quest or Index break-down video - suppose he was too busy... i kid , i kid!
    urdgfqqehbbb.png
    ** Second New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
    edited December 2019
    RuneSR2 said:

Post image

UploadVR just wrote an article:

"Valve Index Full Kit Backorders Approach Half-Life: Alyx Release Window"

Read it here: https://uploadvr.com/valve-index-alyx-february/

May I suggest some nice background music when reading the article? 

edited December 2019
    Just tried to revive Stormland, and it works flawlessly, well at least considering the technical aspects (=no errors and I think performance is probably as great as possible). BUT temporal antialiasing (TAA) looks really horrible - like dripping my eyes with liquid butter - a total blur, and jaggies are everywhere with no antialiasing. Fortunately SMAA works like a charm, but does not offer similar image quality as CV1 TAA. Also the game is really a no-go with Index, because I get constant reprojections - like I do using the CV1 - but using the CV1 I don't see them due to ASW 2.0. While Index is like a constant reprojections-in-your-face experience, lol. I think Stormland may look awesome using res 150 - 200% with the Index, but I'm not sure even a 3080 Ti will get me there in 90 fps. Then I could start to cut down more settings, but no - not going to ruin the game doing that - I already did remove real time shadows. 
    Instead the game looks and plays totally amazing using the CV1 - it's really like magic - I'd rate the game 10/10 with the CV1 TAA and 6/10 with the Index SMAA.

After testing Stormland I went to play some Boneworks, and the contrast was just mind blowing. Although Boneworks is quite barren and gray compared to Stormland, Boneworks textures are totally off the chart - and I can run that game res 200% at a solid 90 fps. 

Again this confirms that I need two hmds - as my enjoyment of Stormland would be totally ruined using the Index, and I'm sure my enjoyment of Boneworks would be at a much lower level if I had to use CV1. 

edited December 2019
    Hmmm, box signed by Newell, this may be the most perfect room for some Alyx VR I've ever seen  :o  

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/Steam/comments/eatyja/got_a_very_special_gift_from_valve_today/

TomCgcmfc said:
    Once Valve Index Controllers (not called Knuckles anymore btw) are available in Australia and all issues like thumbstick clicking and long term drifting are sorted out, I will def look at buying these.

Knuckles is faster to write, but you're right - I should stick to the now correct name "Index controller", also in case we have some readers who don't know the meaning of "Knuckles". 
    I follow (nearly) all posts on Index Reddit, it seems that some get perfect controllers now (especially when ordered separately and not as part of the full kit), while your luck may vary with the full kit. But we don't know how long such "perfect" controllers will last, especially regarding drifting. 
    In Boneworks you need to press down the left thumbstick to run, I do wonder if that will trigger a new wave of drifting Index controllers, we'll see. 

Hmmmm, a free demo... 

https://store.steampowered.com/app/979400/Last_Labyrinth/

Maybe @Shadowmask72 should try it first  o:)

• Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 4,127 Valuable Player
    edited December 2019
    The game is pretty dark from what I've seen. That poor girl. :'(

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
    The game is pretty dark from what I've seen. That poor girl. :'(
    I'm weak - I can probably only resist not trying the demo for a few hours more  :#

No matter the gameplay, not sure the graphics look that good... Especially if the devs serve the raw Quest version for PCVR enthusiasts...  

• Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 4,127 Valuable Player
    edited December 2019
    I can't get over the fact that the young girl gets totally brutalised in this game (usually by your poor decision making). I'm not being politically correct but I just find it an odd choice. However, I believe it makes the bond between your wheelchair bound character and the girl much more evocative as a result.

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
    edited December 2019
    Graphics are quite good in Last Labyrinth, I could use Index res 200% and get solid 90 fps, but there weren't many objects in the rooms I visited. She is indeed the most adorable little girl, and maybe especially as a parent you immediately connect with her - she only speaks Japanese (I think) and you can only point with a red laser light at objects (hmd controlled) and nod or shake your head. So you don't really need controllers in-game. And then she dies in horrible ways and you can do nothing but watch. As a parent you'd give your own life to save your kids, so being unable to help the girl is of course the most disturbing part. This is a horror game, and it reminds me a lot of the Saw movies. I don't see myself playing this game, but it was interesting to experience the graphics, gameplay and atmosphere. 

edited December 2019
    Just saw this trailer on Valve Index subReddit, so I guess it'll have Index support - it does look interesting:

EDIT: The video seems to have been removed for unknown reasons - it's this game with expected release in Feb 2020:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1135850/NearPrime_VR__Net_Burn/

SteamVR has been massively updated - first it did annoy me - but now I think it's great. Basically all (or most) of the advanced settings that you before could not control without accessing the SteamVR desktop app are now integrated in the VR menu. To set res (super sampling) per app is now easier than ever (and now I could lock res 300% in Home, still got solid 90 fps - before ss was adaptive in Home) - and much more:

Introducing SteamVR Version 1.9
    "The Settings Update" (1.9.13)

Update Highlights

Today’s update features big improvements to Settings and Desktop, plus continued bug fixes and stability improvements.

SteamVR's new Settings interface offers improved usability and consistency between the desktop and in-headset experience. For instance, many settings that were previously only available on the desktop (such as refresh rate and render resolution) can now be controlled in-headset.

Desktop view now has enhanced performance, improved legibility, and supports multiple monitors.

Full Update Notes

SteamVR Settings
    • Settings user interface re-design.
    • Most settings now available on both the desktop and in-headset.
    • Valve Index HMD refresh rate can be changed mid-game, without restarting. (Requires NVIDIA driver version 441, or higher)

SteamVR Desktop View
    • Improved multi-monitor desktop support (Windows 10 only).
    • Improved cursor rendering (Windows 10 only).
    • Added experimental user setting to control Desktop scale.
    • Fixed double characters appearing in the desktop view and Steam chat.
    • Fixed backspace not working in the desktop view (Windows 10 only)

SteamVR
    • Numerous crash fixes and stability improvements.
    • Improved audio mirroring latency and fixed some cases where the mirror could accumulate a large delay.
    • Moved Performance Graph to main SteamVR status window (right-click)
    • Skip “Advanced Supersampling Filtering” for systems which use their own compositor (e.g. Windows Mixed Reality, Oculus). This fixes some causes of blurriness reported by WMR users.
    • All windows now group together under one icon in the Windows taskbar.
    • Fixed rendering of grid lines in the construct.
    • Fixed loading animation on transition overlay being at the wrong height.
    • Added better error diagnostics when failing to find proper display adapter for new UI.
    • Added block compression to render model textures over 2048x2048.
    • Minor optimization for motion smoothing.
    • Fixed some memory leaks when VR_Init is called repeatedly in long-running applications.
    • Increased the maximum number of overlays to 128.

SteamVR Dashboard
    • Minor appearance tweaks.
    • Fixed regression in ComputeOverlayIntersection for Dashboard overlays.
    • Moved dashboard power menu from a tab to a popover.
    • Added haptic bumps with moving on or off of buttons on the dashboard controls.
    • Added experimental user setting to control Dashboard placement and scale.

SteamVR Input
    • For games using legacy input: When fetching default bindings, prefer partner site explicit defaults instead of generic legacy defaults
    • When switching bindings, SteamVR now records the previously selected binding in a setting.
    • Action Sets with a higher priority will now correctly override sets with a lower priority.
    • Recent games list in top level controller configuration menu now shows most recent game instead of starting with second most recent game.

SteamVR Home
    • Added new colorizer tool to replace the color wheel while holding an object
    • Fixed regression causing desktop view to not show up
    • Fixed particles on wearables to not render for the wearer
    • Changed map labels to go multi-line instead of truncate for a bunch of our maps (Summit Pavilion Remix - Evening, and many others)
    • Change pickup/drop to allow picking up from either trigger or hand close on Index
    • Fixed bug where waving the Index controller around while previewing teleport would cause the teleport to unintentionally happen

Linux:
    • Rate-limit attempting to open the tracing filesystem to once every 5 seconds.
    • SteamVR will now attempt to set thread priorities through rtkit (when available).
    • Fixed a vrwebhelper crash that could make the dashboard disappear.
    • Fixed the pairing UI window content not showing up the first time it was opened.
    • Fixed a few behavior quirks in vrwebhelper's desktop windows.
    • Added diagnostics for tracking down rare stuck haptics bug on Linux.

There is a known crash on Linux which is currently being investigated. In the meantime, Linux users may opt into the 'linux_temp' branch. (Right-click SteamVR -> Properties -> Betas, to enable).

Oculus:
    • Fixed an issue where controllers may stop tracking too quickly when hidden from view.
    • Fixed IPD value not being correct until changed by the user.

Index HMD
    • Max brightness extended to 140.
    • Framerate can be changed without restarting (requires NVIDIA driver version 441, or higher).
      Requires firmware update.

SteamVR Tracking 2.0 Basestations
    • Improved reliability of firmware updates, in situations with weak signals or interference.

Note: Vive Pro users experiencing issues with basestation communications may want to reposition their link box.

Source: https://steamcommunity.com/games/250820/announcements/detail/3150762393108758897

RuneSR2 said:
    RuneSR2 said:

Post image

UploadVR just wrote an article:

"Valve Index Full Kit Backorders Approach Half-Life: Alyx Release Window"

Read it here: https://uploadvr.com/valve-index-alyx-february/

May I suggest some nice background music when reading the article? 

Uh-oh - apparently now it no longer says "February 2020" but is completely unavailable - in the US:

edited December 2019
    RuneSR2 said:

Maybe a small forgotten gem that needs more attention? The game does smell quite Valve-ish :D - it works on Index, Rift and Vive:

Free demo available:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1064160/Holoception/

Native Oculus driver support included ;)

One of my favorite VR games just got Index support  <3

https://store.steampowered.com/app/906120/POLYBIUS/

More about the game here:

https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/comment/658616

• RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 7,147 Valuable Player
    edited December 2019
    Edit:
    edited December 2019
    RuneSR2 said:
    RuneSR2 said:

Maybe a small forgotten gem that needs more attention? The game does smell quite Valve-ish :D - it works on Index, Rift and Vive:

Free demo available:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1064160/Holoception/

Native Oculus driver support included ;)
    Thanks for that mate.  I just tried the Steam demo and it works great with my Rift cv1 w/2x sensors and 2.0 SS.  I had a hard time figuring out how to use grenades though (pull the pin first idiot, lol!).  I'll probably pick this up from steam since like you say it has Oculus driver support (and is a couple of dollars cheaper as well).  Plus it gives me more headset options later, without the need for Revive.

Unfortunately it no longer supports Vive controllers because the developer said that the Vive trackpads were too inconsistent.  Guess I'll need to wait for Index controllers to become available down-under to try this with my Vive Pro, lol!  Might work with my Cosmos though?  I'll give it a go later.  Thanks again mate.

Edit; Almost works ok with my Cosmos, but not quite right.  I'm pretty sure the developer could fix this.  Actually looks fantastic with my Cosmos btw.

edited December 2019
    RuneSR2 said:
    One of my favorite VR games just got Index support  <3

https://store.steampowered.com/app/906120/POLYBIUS/

More about the game here:

https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/comment/658616

Close, but no cigar... I installed the patch and still got the old warning that my controllers were not supported. Using desktop view I could start the game - had to choose VR mode with a mouse click, but Index controllers were dead. Got an image in solid 90 fps in the Index though (maybe the Steam controller would work, but I really like to get Index controller support). I've informed the devs. 
    Game works perfectly using CV1 ss 2.0 though - it has native Oculus driver support, you can just launch it from Oculus Home. It's by far my favorite VR racing shooter (if there's a thing like that) - much better than Thumper ;)
    I think Polybius Index res 200%@144Hz probably would be totally like: 

Image result for head nuke

edited December 2019

Related image

:D 

PS. Hint if the bottom pic doesn't ring any bells  o:)

Art3mis
    Does anyone know a way to make Index work with Alien: Isolation VR mod (Mother VR)? I tried it out yesterday, but it stubbornly professes that it can't find an Oculus headset plugged in
  • MaxxgoldMaxxgold Posts: 518
    Neo
    Does anyone know a way to make Index work with Alien: Isolation VR mod (Mother VR)? I tried it out yesterday, but it stubbornly professes that it can't find an Oculus headset plugged in
    I had to make a shortcut from the Alien Isolation exe, and run it from the shortcut. I tried everything before that worked. You can also go back a version if nothing works for you. 
    Art3mis
    Maxxgold said:
    I had to make a shortcut from the Alien Isolation exe, and run it from the shortcut. I tried everything before that worked. You can also go back a version if nothing works for you. 
    Unfortunately nothing seems to help. No idea why that might even make the dif, but I tried the shortcut method too. Same result: