New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

The Index thread (please keep to subject)

Comments

• RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 6,858 Valuable Player
    Maxxgold said:
    I had to make a shortcut from the Alien Isolation exe, and run it from the shortcut. I tried everything before that worked. You can also go back a version if nothing works for you. 
    Unfortunately nothing seems to help. No idea why that might even make the dif, but I tried the shortcut method too. Same result:

I also tried and ran into probably the same issue. But I found out that when I connect my CV1, Alien Isolation would work perfectly - that is starting as usual with the CV1. It's a relatively dark game, I ended up thinking it's probably not worth the hassle getting Index to work and best played with the CV1.
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • Comrade_IvanComrade_Ivan Posts: 132
    Art3mis
    Figured it out. I had to launch it flat, go into Settings > Mother VR and change the runtime to Steam. Then restart the whole rig, right-click on Alien: Isolation in Steam, open Properties and disable launching in Home Theater mode. Then I opened Steam VR and finally launched the game.
    Now it works like a charm
    Figured it out. I had to launch it flat, go into Settings > Mother VR and change the runtime to Steam. Then restart the whole rig, right-click on Alien: Isolation in Steam, open Properties and disable launching in Home Theater mode. Then I opened Steam VR and finally launched the game.
    Now it works like a charm
    Impressive and congrats - how are the graphics using Index - do the textures look good?
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

Art3mis
    RuneSR2 said:
    Impressive and congrats - how are the graphics using Index - do the textures look good?
    They do, but I can't play it at maxed out settings with my 1080Ti. I have Zotac's mini version of the card, so overclocking isn't even an option.

Also Talos Principle (in terms of visuals another one of my faves) has to be quite severely throttled down just to get smooth movement. Lots of frame drops, even at 90 fps, 100% SS. This is one game where Rift S shines.

I've spent quite a bit of time tweaking settings this weekend. Thank the lord almighty for fpsVR - being able to see the frametime and change the settings on the fly from within VR is effin brilliant. That, and the little cable tangle monitor - I can't rave enough about it.

It's becoming clear to me that my next purchase will have to be a 2080Ti (or two). I figure that will future-proof for me for years to come
    Art3mis
    I figure we're all owners of at least two headsets here - anyone on Oculus forum will likely have an Oculus headset, and anyone on this thread will also likely have an Index (or at least is thinking about buying one). So if anyone here is like me, heads-up; I just found a website that sells some really cool accessories for peeps like us (I'm not affiliated with them btw).

They have stuff like display mounts for headsets, custom faceplates, Quest link cables, and even a halo strap for a Quest.

I currently own 5 different headsets (down from 8, lol - yeah, I have a problem), and a while ago I bought a bunch of mannequin heads & carousels to put them on (carousels so I could easily wind up cables without twisting them).

The mannequin heads turned out to be problematic - for one they're too small, so headsets tend to slip down. And second, I realized that constant pressure on faceplates actually deforms the cushioning.

I just ordered a halo strap for my Quest from them, and I'll also be getting displays for my headsets, so I'll report my findings if anyone wants feedback. But I thought I'd drop the link here too if anyone else is interested:

https://www.goquestvr.com/index.php/product/mount-station/
    edited December 2019
    Space Engine with more than 2000 ratings and a 10/10 average rating (96% positive) seems to be - maybe - the best app for showing space and the universe in VR. It now has Index support and I'm thinking about buying it - anyone tried it?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/314650/SpaceEngine/

PS. I think it has native Oculus support: "I’ve got an Oculus Rift CV1 a few weeks ago and already implemented its full native support (with Touch controllers)." 
    Source: http://spaceengine.org/news/blog180302/

Art3mis
    edited December 2019
    RuneSR2 said:
    Space Engine with more than 2000 ratings and a 10/10 average rating (96% positive) seems to be - maybe - the best app for showing space and the universe in VR. It now has Index support and I'm thinking about buying it - anyone tried it?

I just bought it - I'll try it this afternoon and then I'll report here
    Vertigo has just been remastered:

I did try the original which I found poor and refunded - not going to buy the remastered version unless reviews are really great...

• kojackkojack Posts: 6,962 Volunteer Moderator
    RuneSR2 said:

PS. I think it has native Oculus support: "I’ve got an Oculus Rift CV1 a few weeks ago and already implemented its full native support (with Touch controllers)."
    When you press play, it pops up three options: play normally, native Oculus SDK or SteamVR.
    It's pretty good, although the Touch laser pointers come out at 45 degrees downwards (perpendicular to the handles instead of aligned with the top). I don't know if there's a way to fix that.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Oculus Forum Tool,  Phantom Touch Remover,  Forum Dark Mode,  X-Plane Fixer
    Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
    Headsets: DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest
    edited December 2019
    New interesting equipment for Index and Vive (requires base stations):

Seem like a no-go for Oculus, for now: "VR Ink couldn’t work with Oculus headsets (unless through SteamVR) because Oculus doesn’t allow third-parties to make use of its tracking systems."

More info here:

https://www.logitech.com/en-us/promo/vr-ink.html

https://www.roadtovr.com/logitech-vr-stylus-pre-order-vr-ink-pilot-edition-price-release-date/

SPECS & DETAILS

DIMENSIONS

Height x Width x Depth:
    9.13 in (232 mm) x 2.52 in (64 mm) x 1.65 in (42 mm)

Weight:
    2.4 oz (68.0 g)

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS

Steam VR compatible and works with:

• Vive
    • Vive Pro
    • Varjo
    • Valve Index

TRACKING

SteamVR 2.0 sensors, compatible with SteamVR 1.0 and 2.0 Base Stations (2.0 recommended)

TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS

Battery: 
    2.5+ hours (rechargeable via USB)

Connectivity:
    2.4 GHz wireless and micro-USB

Stylus Tips:
    POM Interchangable

Mat:
    A1 (optional)

CONTROLS & FUNCTIONS
    • 2 analog force sensitive controls (stylus tip/index finger)
    • Clickable 2D touch strip
    • Dual-sided grip grab buttons
    • Haptics
    • Menu and system button
    • Status LED

PILOT EDITION INCLUDES
    • VR Ink Stylus
    • Customization Software - Tailor inputs to your specific preferences

$750 for a pen is a bit much though.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Oculus Forum Tool,  Phantom Touch Remover,  Forum Dark Mode,  X-Plane Fixer
    Art3mis
    edited December 2019
    RuneSR2 said:
    K, as promised, here are my thoughts after spending some time with it. It's definitely cool flying through the universe and checking out different celestial bodies. If you're into Astronomy, this would tickle your fancy. On the downside, it's an early access and it shows it. Pick a speed too high, and you'll be dropping frames. Pick an IPD too high, and you'll be dropping frames (it has a "god mode" option where you can set the distance between your pupils ranging from 60 mm to light years apart). Whip your head around too fast, and you may be dropping frames (depending on your system - for comparison, mine is a GTX 1080Ti, 4GHz i7-4790K with 32 GB of RAM and I was not dropping frames only at human scale when whipping head around).
    It's a clunkier Google Earth VR's (much) younger brother. Ultimately, given the current discount, it's worth buying if you're a science nerd like me.
    RuneSR2 said:
    K, as promised, here are my thoughts after spending some time with it. It's definitely cool flying through the universe and checking out different celestial bodies. If you're into Astronomy, this would tickle your fancy. On the downside, it's an early access and it shows it. Pick a speed too high, and you'll be dropping frames. Pick an IPD too high, and you'll be dropping frames (it has a "god mode" option where you can set the distance between your pupils ranging from 60 mm to light years apart). Whip your head around too fast, and you may be dropping frames (depending on your system - for comparison, mine is a GTX 1080Ti, 4GHz i7-4790K with 32 GB of RAM and I was not dropping frames only at human scale when whipping head around).
    It's a clunkier Google Earth VR's (much) younger brother. Ultimately, given the current discount, it's worth buying if you're a science nerd like me.
    Great review - I just bought it - now I'm considering Synth Riders too - it has Index support - and also 90+ % average rating on both Oculus Store and Steam. 

edited December 2019
    kojack said:
    $750 for a pen is a bit much though.

But it's the mother (or father) of all future pens!  B)

Related image

BTW, $750 is a steal!  :D

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Montblanc-Princesse-Grace-of-Monaco-L-E-1-1-Unique-Atelier-Prive-Creation/231279017878?hash=item35d94dbf96:g:yh8AAOSwRUhY--wP

RuneSR2 said:

My download is soon finished - can't wait! 

buzz lightyear to infinity

edited December 2019
    RuneSR2 said:
    One of my favorite VR games just got Index support  <3

https://store.steampowered.com/app/906120/POLYBIUS/

More about the game here:

https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/comment/658616

I just spent some time with the game - using the Index. It's works fine, but only if you use a XBox controller - neither the Steam controller nor Index controllers work. 

If you try to open the game inside SteamVR with Index controllers activated, you'll get an error message that your active controllers aren't supported. Just ignore and start the game - now choose VR mode. The game will start, and nothing happens. Now click on the Desktop button in SteamVR - you'll see a window, and here you'll need again to choose VR mode. Now the game should start - and remember to turn on a XBox controller in order to play the game.

I got solid 90 fps forcing res 200%, but you need to restart the game to activate any change in res. The music sounds awesome, I was thinking that it might lack bass compared to CV1, but it really doesn't. Graphics are so much better even than CV1, because the CV1 SDE was extremely pronounced in this game - Index res 200% is a dream - and the fov. 

Now if we only could get some support for the Index controllers, sigh. The change to Polybius means that native Oculus support has been removed - now you need to start SteamVR to play the game using Rift.  

First a word of caution - headbanging for longer periods of time may not be a great idea, unless you've tightened the Index really good - and remember that Index may put some strain on your neck muscles due to the 800-900 grams of weight  ;)  

That said, this really is a great song, although I'm normally not that much into this kind of music:

- and, btw, Synth Riders worked perfectly, I got solid 90 fps even when forcing res 200% - the average rating is beyond 90 % (both Steam and Oculus Store). It may be some kind of Beat Saber copycat, but it works just fine (you can play in first person too):

edited December 2019
    RuneSR2 said:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/314650/SpaceEngine/

Source: http://spaceengine.org/news/blog180302/

Maybe this is the greatest VR app created so far, somehow it manages even to dwarf Elite - maybe. You can set the speed to like 0 and up to about 653 million light years per second. And when the latter happens, thing you thought were non moving objects suddenly start to move, lol. Using this app you're able to leave our own galaxy (the Milky Way) and travel to other galaxies. I think I read that travelling with the speed of light, it'll take about 30,000 years to travel from Earth to the center of the Milky Way. This means that if a spaceship left Earth 30,000 years ago (think mammoths, Ice Age, saber tigers etc) - and travelled with the speed of light to the center of the Milky Way - it would just now have arrived, and would of course need another 30,000 years for the return trip :D Good news is, using Space Engine you can now do the trip in seconds!  B)
    In short, Space Engine lets you travel with speeds beyond your wildest dreams, goes way beyond the solar system,  and may get you a glimpse of things you'll never be able to experience first hand in real life. Like @Comrade_Ivan wrote, Space Engine is taxing on the rig - but using Index res 100% it worked great with minor stuttering when visiting planets. Res 200% made everything look much better, but I'll probably need a 3080 Ti for that... I ended up using res 150%, which did increase stuttering compared to res 100%, but away from planets and stars I often got 90 fps - and res 150% did look better than 100%. It's a 4GB download, and will take up about 5GB, but as free DLC you can download high-res textures for some planets (like Earth), and Space Engine with all DLCs may require 50GB.
    Do try this utterly amazing app if you ever dreamt of leaving Earth and experience the universe  B)

Art3mis
    RuneSR2 said:
    ... I ended up using res 150%, which did increase stuttering compared to res 100%, but away from planets and stars I often got 90 fps - and res 150% did look better than 100%. 
    @RuneSR2 - what kind of a rig do you have? As in what GPU/CPU combo?
    edited December 2019
    RuneSR2 said:
    ... I ended up using res 150%, which did increase stuttering compared to res 100%, but away from planets and stars I often got 90 fps - and res 150% did look better than 100%. 
    @RuneSR2 - what kind of a rig do you have? As in what GPU/CPU combo?
    It's all in my sig - you have a faster gpu than mine - I have a heavily oc'ed "MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed)" - using an i7 7700K cpu (4.5 Ghz) with 16GB 3200 MHz mem (going from 2400 MHz to 3200 MHz gave me nearly 10% more cpu speed in 3D Mark processor tests). 

So Space Engine is 5GB containing the whole universe, but the free DLC texture pack "Earth HD" is 12GB!!??  :o Then again, not sure I even seen Earth like this before...

RuneSR2 said:
    So Space Engine is 5GB containing the whole universe, but the free DLC texture pack "Earth HD" is 12GB!!??  :o Then again, not sure I even seen Earth like this before...
    Back in 2016 Google Earth's database was around 3 petabytes.
    X-Plane 11 is 60GB.

So 12GB is pretty good. :)

edited December 2019
    Seems like Indices aren't the only lcd hmds plagued by inverted pixel lines:

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/egexas/horizontal_pixel_inversion_oculus_rift_s/

This may be another reason to still like the CV1, although CV1 does have some serious SDE lines too ;) Maybe silly, but I like to have a backup - just bought me a spare refurbished CV1 today, if I don't ever get to use it, maybe I'll put it in a display some day, lol. 

• EvileyesEvileyes Posts: 361
    Trinity
    Thanks for the heads up RuneSR2, PURCHASED!
    i9 10900k @ 5200Mhz, 32GB ram, EVGA 2080 ti FTW
    Need a Tesla? Here is a free 1000 miles in supercharging!
    https://ts.la/mark56706
    Art3mis
    RuneSR2 said:
    I've owned 8 different headsets over the post 2 years and I never encountered that issue. Maybe my eyes are just bad (which they kind of are actually - definitely getting worse every year).
    Is this just due to LCD orientation, or is there another reason why some HMDs have this problem?
    edited December 2019
    RuneSR2 said:
    I've owned 8 different headsets over the post 2 years and I never encountered that issue. Maybe my eyes are just bad (which they kind of are actually - definitely getting worse every year).
    Is this just due to LCD orientation, or is there another reason why some HMDs have this problem?

It's hard to tell without having access to test several hmds. According to Valve all Indices may show the lines to some degree. If you don't see them, try to adjust column correction from 0 to either -10 or +10, then you should be able to see them. 
    I'm using new glasses inside the Index, I consider my sight razor-sharp, which may not be a good thing. Normally I ask if those who can't see the inverted vertical pixels lines are able to see the very faint horizontal lines in the Index and the hidden dot pattern in colors like red and orange - if not, then a person may not be able to see the vertical lines either. If you can see the dot pattern and the very faint horizontal lines, and you still can't see the vertical lines, then I'll start to believe you've got a really great hmd. Still you should be able to see the vertical lines by changing values for column correction. 

You can find more info here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ValveIndex/comments/cjhndo/index_headset_vertical_banding_through_the_lenses/

If I could completely get rid of the now very faint inverted vertical pixel lines, the Index would really be perfect (I'm using values -7 for left eye and -8 for right eye regarding column correction). Then again, CV1 has much worse SDE, but CV1 has a constant SDE, while the inverted pixel lines only are seen occasionally (depending on the color and maybe brightness etc.). Unfortunately this means I can't help but to often look for the lines and thereby reduce immersion. I didn't notice the pixel lines when playing Synth Riders and Boneworks the last time, but I often notice them in Fujii, the latter probably due to the large even-colored surfaces and lack of real textures. 

• WildtWildt Posts: 2,297 Valuable Player
    edited December 2019
    RuneSR2 said:just bought me a spare refurbished CV1 today, if I don't ever get to use it, maybe I'll put it in a display some day, lol. 
    Where did you buy it, and how much was it?
    The freedom of wireless is absolutely vital for me, and lately I've been playing mainly 360 games, so sadly my Reverb is gathering a bit of dust, so I'm looking for a cheap backup unit in good condition.
    ..my CV1 cable is still working perfectly, but alas my TPcast cable started acting up causing green flickering lines, so I'm getting a replacement cable (still being sold). I can migitate the problem by twisting the cable a bit at a certain place, but taking the hmd off/on a couple of times makes it reappear. :(
    PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
    PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
    WMR: HP Reverb
    Wildt said:
    RuneSR2 said:just bought me a spare refurbished CV1 today, if I don't ever get to use it, maybe I'll put it in a display some day, lol. 
    Where did you buy it, and how much was it?
    The freedom of wireless is absolutely vital for me, and lately I've been playing mainly 360 games, so sadly my Reverb is gathering a bit of dust, so I'm looking for a cheap backup unit in good condition.
    ..my CV1 cable is still working perfectly, but alas my TPcast cable started acting up causing green flickering lines, so I'm getting a replacement cable (still being sold). I can migitate the problem by twisting the cable a bit at a certain place, but taking the hmd off/on a couple of times makes it reappear. :(
    $170, free shipping, coming all the way from Estonia, but they're part of the EU. Got it through eBay.de or eBay.co.uk. Just the hmd and cables, don't think I need more sensors and Touch for now.

Art3mis
    edited December 2019
    RuneSR2 said:

According to Valve all Indices may show the lines to some degree. If you don't see them, try to adjust column correction from 0 to either -10 or +10, then you should be able to see them. 
    I consider myself very lucky. Only now that cranked this value to the max was I able to see it. But even then barely so.

That said, my eyes aren't quite what they used to be. At the ripe age of 45, I still have perfect vision in terms of clarity, but my ability to focus up close is gone (not an issue - while in VR, the lenses in our eyes focus on the same distance regardless of the virtual distance of the object - presently VR can only simulate a triangulation parallax).

Also, my retinas aren't as reactive to fast changes as they used to be - I see no difference between 80 and 120 Hz. Maybe that affects one's ability to see inverted pixel lines too?

If so, I guess the simple solution is to get old, lol :D
    One of my friends tried VR today - I had selected some titles for CV1 and Index, and I started showing him Art Plunge, which he liked a lot. Then Vader Immortal, a short walk in Stormland and Beat Saber - but then he got motion sickness probably from Stormland, and didn't even make it to Index, sigh. Seems motion sickness is still a thing. Some have said that the 120 Hz in Index reduced or even cured their motion sickness, maybe I should start with that next time...

Or maybe most of us in here are simply quite seasoned VR sailors never experiencing any motion sickness, lol. 

Image result for seasoned sailor storm